PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Arians is one hell of an offensive coordinator

hawaiiansteel
01-22-2011, 02:35 AM
Cook: Roethlisberger, Arians come down in 2-part harmony

Saturday, January 22, 2011
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bruce Arians is one hell of an offensive coordinator.

Now that I have your attention, let me back up that statement. No, wait. Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger wants to do it. He's aware of the ridiculous anti-Arians sentiment around town. He can't understand it, either.

"He gets way, way too much blame and criticism," Roethlisberger told the national media this week. "It's kind of unfortunate because he's so good. If you ask the players, we know. If you ask someone that knows the game of football, you'll know how good he is and what he's done for the offense and what he brings."

In the interest of full disclosure, Roethlisberger has more than a player-coach relationship with Arians. He described him as "a father figure," which made Arians laugh.

"I'd rather him say I'm the favorite uncle he likes to drink with." The two are close. You might have heard something in March about Roethlisberger owning a place in Georgia. Arians has one nearby. They play golf often.

"I can talk to him about anything," Roethlisberger said.

It wasn't always that way...

"In the beginning, he didn't like me much and I didn't think all that much of him, either," Arians said, fairly giggling. They came to the Steelers in 2004, Roethlisberger as a No. 1 draft choice and Arians as wide receivers coach. Arians became offensive coordinator in '07 after Ken Whisenhunt left for the head job with the Arizona Cardinals.

"I don't think Ben liked me because I had coached Peyton," Arians said of the Indianapolis Colts' Peyton Manning, generally regarded as the hardest-working quarterback in the NFL. "I wanted to see him study harder. I wanted his work ethic to catch up with his passion for the game and all that talent he has."

Well, guess what?

"He's done everything and more that I've asked of him," Arians said of Roethlisberger. "I'm as proud of him as you can be of a person who's not your son or daughter."

Their success together has been extraordinary. The Steelers went to the playoffs in '07 and won the Super Bowl in '08. They missed the playoffs with a 9-7 record last season despite having a 4,300-yard quarterback, a 1,000-yard rusher, two 1,000-yard wide receivers and a tight end who caught a franchise-record 76 passes. And this season? Maybe you have read something about the AFC championship game against the New York Jets Sunday night at Heinz Field.

The Steelers lost to the Jets, 22-17, at home Dec. 19. The offense produced 378 yards, ran for the most yards (147) against the Jets this season and had a 2 1/2-minute edge in possession time. "We just didn't score enough points," Arians said. "We also gave up two points."

That blasted safety.

Jets linebacker Jason Taylor tackled running back Mewelde Moore in the end zone on a first-and-10 play from the Steelers 3, bumping the Jets' lead to 22-17 with 2:38 left. Arians was excoriated around town for calling that trap play, which had left guard Chris Kemoeatu pulling to his right to lead Moore off right tackle. Taylor sliced through the gap vacated by Kemoeatu before left tackle Jonathan Scott could cut him off.

"Their guy jumped the cadence and made a great play," Roethlisberger said. "It was a great call. If we get the play off, it's out to at least the 10."

"I didn't beat myself up over that one," Arians said. "It's one of our best plays. It would have picked up a solid eight to 15 yards."

Even after the safety, Arians was confident. Roethlisberger, you know? The Steelers got the ball back at their 8 with 2:08 left. "I looked Ben in the eye and told him, 'Let's go get 'em in the end like we always do.' We should have, too."

Roethlisberger led the Steelers to the Jets 10 and had two shots in the end zone to win the game. On the first, backup tight end Matt Spaeth dropped what should have been the winning touchdown pass.

Now, the Steelers get a second crack at the Jets. Arians went overboard this week praising Jets coach Rex Ryan, calling him "the best [defensive mind] in the business. He amazes me the way he keeps coming up with new stuff." He went overboard praising the Jets defense, saying, "It's just like playing Baltimore's defense only they're better because of their cornerbacks."

Don't be fooled.

You know Arians loves his chances with Roethlisberger.

At the team hotel tonight, the two will go over the game plan one final time. Out of the 70 or so pass plays, Roethlisberger will pick his 15 favorites. He'll do the same for all possible third-down situations.

"I lose a lot of the plays I like when we do that," Arians said, grinning.

"That's what's so great about working with B.A.," Roethlisberger said. "If I tell him I hate a play, he won't call it. He doesn't have an ego that way. He doesn't ever say, 'We're going to do it my way.' It's the same way with the receivers. If one of them comes to him and says, 'I can beat my guy on this play,' he'll call it. He has enough faith in his players to do that. He's a players' guy."

Said Arians: "I'd be pretty stupid to call a play my quarterback hates. I'm not trying to impress anybody out there. I'm just trying to help us win the game."

That's why Arians is able to shrug off the criticism. He knows an awful lot of people think they can call plays better than he does. That goes with his job. He takes no offense.

It's not praise and pats on the back that Arians will remember when he leaves football, anyway. It's the wins and the championships and the relationships with the players.

Especially the relationships.

"We haven't lost too many together," Arians said of Roethlisberger.

I don't expect 'em to lose Sunday night, either.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11022/11 ... z1BjtIjMtq (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11022/1119967-66.stm#ixzz1BjtIjMtq)

Crash
01-22-2011, 02:37 AM
"I don't think Ben liked me because I had coached Peyton," Arians said of the Indianapolis Colts' Peyton Manning, generally regarded as the hardest-working quarterback in the NFL.

Yeah, all those commercials every off season and the supposed "open marriage" he has. That all occurs in the film room.

SteelCrazy
01-22-2011, 05:05 AM
I guess I dont know the game of football like the players do, but when I can predict whats coming according to formation and be correct 90% of the time, that means the opposing D is going to make one hell of a play. A little film study and we caught with our pants down and Ben has to carry the load.

jj28west
01-22-2011, 10:41 AM
I wrestle with this...Does Ben make Bruce look good or does Bruce & Tomlin give Ben that much freedom to let Ben be Ben?

There are a lot of strong control freak types of personalities out there that may force Ben to look off the most agressive patterns quicker and settle for a 3-4 yard gain in the flat or underneath.

Credit BA and ultimatley Tomlin for allowing this even with a subpar line.

As far as the Mewelde Moore safety.....its easy for me to second guess but it seemed given the down & position on the field there was high risk/high reward on that play.

I am also a simple fan and the last two games it was getting more difficult to know what the Steelers were going to do which is good thing.

The end arounds with Wallace (I know Ray Ray is slower) against the Ravens were questionable although he did get a decent gain on one. Maybe this is to setup that trick play?

proudpittsburgher
01-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Bruce Arians is one hell of an offensive coordinator

<<popping popcorn now>> this is gonna get fun.

feltdizz
01-22-2011, 02:14 PM
I guess I dont know the game of football like the players do, but when I can predict whats coming according to formation and be correct 90% of the time, that means the opposing D is going to make one hell of a play. A little film study and we caught with our pants down and Ben has to carry the load.

If you are at 90% you need to get a job in football. Are you calling the passing routes and what holes the RB will run through or just run/pass?

feltdizz
01-22-2011, 02:25 PM
"I don't think Ben liked me because I had coached Peyton," Arians said of the Indianapolis Colts' Peyton Manning, generally regarded as the hardest-working quarterback in the NFL.

Yeah, all those commercials every off season and the supposed "open marriage" he has. That all occurs in the film room.

commercials take a day to film, probably less given how good Peyton is on SNL.

....and once again you have to go all tabloid TMZ bitch and stitch gossip column with a player...

My sisters/friends/uncle on her mothers side told me that "SUPPOSEDLY" Peyton has an S&M NFL film room that doesn't even use electricity... the bouncing on the floor is converted into electricity which is used to watch film. He bangs with one eye open at all times but only makes the Manning face with his wife. :roll:

8)

Irongut
01-22-2011, 02:31 PM

commercials take a day to film, probably less given how good Peyton is on SNL.

....and once again you have to go all tabloid TMZ bitch and stitch gossip column with a player...

My sisters/friends/uncle on her mothers side told me that "SUPPOSEDLY" Peyton has an S&M NFL film room that doesn't even use electricity... the bouncing on the floor is converted into electricity which is used to watch film. He bangs with one eye open at all times but only makes the Manning face with his wife. :roll:

8)
Open marriage? Crash will go to any lengths to bash someone and try to prop Ben up. Why he's so insecure and can't just say Peyton is also a great QB is his issue. There are easily 6-8 great QB's in the league right now, if not more. Any of them would be capable of winning championships with the Steelers.

Crash
01-22-2011, 02:32 PM
ommercials take a day to film, probably less given how good Peyton is on SNL.

He films 10 commercials every off season. I would bet it takes more than 10 days.

My opinion, is that Manning NOW, has the same off season prep time as most QBs.

Where his advantage was, was looking at film at a younger age than most because his Dad was an NFL QB.

feltdizz
01-22-2011, 02:48 PM
ommercials take a day to film, probably less given how good Peyton is on SNL.

He films 10 commercials every off season. I would bet it takes more than 10 days.

My opinion, is that Manning NOW, has the same off season prep time as most QBs.

Where his advantage was, was looking at film at a younger age than most because his Dad was an NFL QB.
10 days isn't a long time... and he isn't standing around a set all day. They set up, call him, he comes in says his lines and that's it. He isn't standing around while they edit or set up the next shot. Most of his commercials are stationary anyway and done on in a studio.

Trust me... unless the commercial has 5 to 6 different sites it doesn't take more then a day to film a commercial. You really think it takes 3 days to film Peyton in bubble wrap screaming off signals? It isn't the 1960's... they have laptops and film rooms at hotels.

I think Peyton studies like they say he does... and ?I think it's part of the reason he keeps coming up short. He puts too much stock in film and not enough in game day adjustments and adlibbing. While his father did help with technique and old film I think the game is so much faster and the D's are more complex than when his Dad played.

MCHammer
01-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Arians may be a better OC than some of us give him credit for, but he's not "one helluva" OC or whatever Cook said. I love how Arians appears to be sticking with that boneheaded call that cost us the safety. Yeah - great call, Bruce. Let's have a slow developing run play from within our own endzone. If only the defense didn't make the play, we'd have been golden! 15 yards for sure. :roll:

I've never coached a down of football so my opinion is what it is and nothing more, but it seems to me Arians simply lucked into having Ben as a QB and calls a game predicated mainly on allowing Ben to win it. Of course Ben loves the arrangement, but great coaching and/or play-calling it is not.

Crash
01-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Open marriage? Crash will go to any lengths to bash someone and try to prop Ben up.

I don't have to bash Peyton. The fact that BOTH Peyton, and the University of Tennessee paid off his accuser to shut her up after he tea-bagged her? Don't have to bash him at all.

Facts do all my talking for me.

Oviedo
01-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Arians may be a better OC than some of us give him credit for, but he's not "one helluva" OC or whatever Cook said. I love how Arians appears to be sticking with that boneheaded call that cost us the safety. Yeah - great call, Bruce. Let's have a slow developing run play from within our own endzone. If only the defense didn't make the play, we'd have been golden! 15 yards for sure. :roll:

I've never coached a down of football so my opinion is what it is and nothing more, but it seems to me Arians simply lucked into having Ben as a QB and calls a game predicated mainly on allowing Ben to win it. Of course Ben loves the arrangement, but great coaching and/or play-calling it is not.

Tunch and Wolfley on their talk show the day after the first Jets game thought the call on the run with Moore was a great call for that situation because that play had worked all day and there was a big hole again. J. Scott just missed a block. That does not mean it was a bad call.

I'll take Tunch and Wolfley's opinions anytime with over 20 years of experience as players and years of analyzing what the Steelers do up close with inside knowledge.

IMO alot of grief Arians gets is because of poor execution and not bad calls.

Irongut
01-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Open marriage? Crash will go to any lengths to bash someone and try to prop Ben up.

I don't have to bash Peyton. The fact that BOTH Peyton, and the University of Tennessee paid off his accuser to shut her up after he tea-bagged her? Don't have to bash him at all.

What's any of that have to do with you TRYING to bash his marriage?

As I said, jealousy and bitterness are consuming you.

Crash
01-22-2011, 04:40 PM

What's any of that have to do with you TRYING to bash his marriage?

As I said, jealousy and bitterness are consuming you.

Who's bashing him? If it's open, good for him.

But don't hand me the garbage PR of how all he does is watch film.

But what if it comes out that he indeed IS the NFL's version of Tiger Woods as some suggest? I'm sorry but if that's true? He has to sit. That would be an embarrassing situation to have the NFL's first family's Golden Child be nothing but a married man whore.

feltdizz
01-22-2011, 04:50 PM

Then STFU and talk football

feltdizz
01-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Crash, if I just started reading your post on here I would think you were some gay hairdresser who knows a few football wives. No offense to gay hairdressers... I'm just sayin'

This gossip grocery store checkout line rumor mill you are running is old and tired. Please, please stop. You are ruining this board. We can't talk about any player without you gossiping about what their man parts did the last 10 years.

Goodell has reduced you to a shim.... It's sad.

Irongut
01-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Who's bashing him? If it's open, good for him.

But don't hand me the garbage PR of how all he does is watch film.

But what if it comes out that he indeed IS the NFL's version of Tiger Woods as some suggest? I'm sorry but if that's true? He has to sit. That would be an embarrassing situation to have the NFL's first family's Golden Child be nothing but a married man whore.

Go have some tea with the lady gossip group.

MCHammer
01-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Tunch and Wolfley on their talk show the day after the first Jets game thought the call on the run with Moore was a great call for that situation because that play had worked all day and there was a big hole again. J. Scott just missed a block. That does not mean it was a bad call.

I'll take Tunch and Wolfley's opinions anytime with over 20 years of experience as players and years of analyzing what the Steelers do up close with inside knowledge.

IMO alot of grief Arians gets is because of poor execution and not bad calls.

Agree to disagree. There are times when certain plays are less appropriate due to the risks. When you pinned back on your own goaline, you should anticipate the defense will be gunning for a safety. That play was slow developing by design. Yeah, someone missed a block. That happens. When it happens on the goaline, you get safeties. My recollection of that play is that we had a lineman pulling away from Jason Taylor and he came straight in and made the tackle. The handoff was out of a shotgun formation and took place in the endzone. It was 1 or 2 seconds too long and had Moore running sideways through the endzone instead of straight ahead. In short, this play call was designed to snap the ball from the 3 or so yard line into the endzone whereupon Ben would hand if off to a laterally moving running back.

Call me old fashioned, but I'd have preferred a hand off with Ben under center designed to get us some breathing room in that situation. Or maybe a quick slant.

Starlifter
01-22-2011, 07:12 PM
back to the original topic. bruce may be a hell of an OC, but don't expect me to giggle over his 14th ranked offense. That strikes me as quite average......

14 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 23.4 375 993 345.3 5.6 18.4 94 218 43 2 5 40 100 903 32:24 22 9 +17

although if you rank by total points, we move up to #12.

yay.

Djfan
01-22-2011, 07:17 PM
back to the original topic. bruce may be a hell of an OC, but don't expect me to giggle over his 14th ranked offense. That strikes me as quite average......

14 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 23.4 375 993 345.3 5.6 18.4 94 218 43 2 5 40 100 903 32:24 22 9 +17

although if you rank by total points, we move up to #12.

yay.

Well said.

Crash
01-22-2011, 07:19 PM
The offense was 9th last season and people still bitched.

The rank isn't as important as red zone.

Starlifter
01-22-2011, 07:20 PM

ok. so how are we ranked by that measure?

fezziwig
01-22-2011, 07:24 PM
So Cook said Arians is one hell of an offensive coordinator, hmmm ?

Cook is probably one of those guys that wonders why the frisbee is getting bigger just before it hits him in the head.

Crash
01-22-2011, 07:26 PM

Before Ben showed up we were awful. Last or dead last.

It's been erratic with Ben. They started well, had a lull, and then finished strong.

Starlifter
01-22-2011, 07:38 PM

Before Ben showed up we were awful. Last or dead last.

It's been erratic with Ben. They started well, had a lull, and then finished strong.

so is it ben or bruce? hasn't bruce been here all season?

Irongut
01-22-2011, 07:42 PM

Last season we also saw Troy injured and despite the better offense we saw what happened, further proving this is a defensive team. Always has been.

Crash
01-22-2011, 07:42 PM
I still say it's formations. Too much jumbo sets, and not enough passing on first down.

At one point, WITH Ben, we passed 5 times and ran 19 times on 1st down plays in the red zone.

Irongut
01-22-2011, 07:45 PM
I still say it's formations. Too much jumbo sets, and not enough passing on first down.

At one point, WITH Ben, we passed 5 times and ran 19 times on 1st down plays in the red zone.

That's a bit of a vague stat without knowing down and distance. Regardless, I'd rather run in the redzone. Less turnovers happen that way. Points are points and with our defense that is typically enough to get the win.

Crash
01-22-2011, 07:52 PM
That's a bit of a vague stat without knowing down and distance.

RED ZONE FIRST DOWN PLAYS.

19 runs, 5 passes.

Irongut
01-22-2011, 07:57 PM
That's a bit of a vague stat without knowing down and distance.

RED ZONE FIRST DOWN PLAYS.

19 runs, 5 passes.

Sounds good. Less chance for turnover and losing pts. Bruce may be getting it. Last year, pass happy lead to no playoffs when we needed to run it more and help the defense and injuries. The offense was unable to provide the help needed.

Defensive team. When the defense performs well, we do well. When we have to rely on offense, we sit at home.

Crash
01-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Sounds good. Less chance for turnover and losing pts. Bruce may be getting it. Last year pass happy lead to no playoffs when we needed to run it more and help the defense and injuries. The offense was unable to provide the help needed

Yeah, how dare the offense score touchdowns.

It was the offense's fault the defense gave it right back.

:roll:

Irongut
01-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Sounds good. Less chance for turnover and losing pts. Bruce may be getting it. Last year pass happy lead to no playoffs when we needed to run it more and help the defense and injuries. The offense was unable to provide the help needed

Yeah, how dare the offense score touchdowns.

It was the offense's fault the defense gave it right back.

:roll:
Not what I said. The paragraph you erased might have given you a clue, but then again, it didn't service your agenda.

This team relies on defense. When it fails, we lose. The offense is not good enough to depend on and carry us.

AngryAsian
01-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Thin ice boys...

Irongut
01-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Thin ice boys...
deep water

Djfan
01-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Thin ice boys...

Thanks!!

Irongut
01-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Thin ice boys...

Thanks!!
For what? Not wanting in depth discussions?

Too many kids on the site that can't comprehend it? Don't want to grow the site? What?

hawaiiansteel
01-22-2011, 10:46 PM
But what if it comes out that he indeed IS the NFL's version of Tiger Woods as some suggest? That would be an embarrassing situation to have the NFL's first family's Golden Child be nothing but a married man whore.

I know I live out in the middle of the ocean and sometimes news arrives late here, but I've never read anything that suggested Peyton is the NFL's version of Tiger Woods or a married man whore.

yes, he has had his incidents but nothing like you suggest...

Crash
01-22-2011, 10:54 PM
But what if it comes out that he indeed IS the NFL's version of Tiger Woods as some suggest? That would be an embarrassing situation to have the NFL's first family's Golden Child be nothing but a married man whore.

I know I live out in the middle of the ocean and sometimes news arrives late here, but I've never read anything that suggested Peyton is the NFL's version of Tiger Woods or a married man whore.

Google him. I'll say this, the "open marriage" statement came from someone that I know has good NFL sources within the league office.

Irongut
01-22-2011, 10:59 PM

Google him. I'll say this, the "open marriage" statement came from someone that I know has good NFL sources within the league office.
Who cares if he has an "open" marriage? Are you somehow trying to equate that to be accused of sexual assault? Lots of people have open messages. What's the big deal?

feltdizz
01-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Not that I care but if Peyton has an open marriage why is it such a big deal? How many people know his wifes name or what she looks like without using Google?

hawaiiansteel
01-22-2011, 11:13 PM

an open marriage agreement sounds like a personal matter between husband and wife, at least they are both aware of what the other is doing. I believe a lot of people would have respected Tiger Woods a lot more if he had been honest with his wife about his indiscretions instead of going behind Elin's back.

grotonsteel
01-22-2011, 11:30 PM

an open marriage agreement sounds like a personal matter between husband and wife, at least they are both aware of what the other is doing. I believe a lot of people would have respected Tiger Woods a lot more if he had been honest with his wife about his indiscretions instead of going behind Elin's back.

Well i have heard from few Indy fans that there are rumors he has open marriage few years back...I believe its their personal matter to be frank.....But i kinda believe in these rumors especially because there is still no bun in their oven...after what 10-12 years of marriage?

Peyton Manning was rumored to be having affair with TV reporter Angela Buchman...again all rumors...but if his wife is getting it from someone else...who cares...its fair game..

Why get married in first place is my big question...remain single and bang any chick that is available...

Djfan
01-22-2011, 11:34 PM

Well i have heard from few Indy fans that there are rumors he has open marriage few years back...I believe its their personal matter to be frank.....But i kinda believe in these rumors especially because there is still no bun in their oven...after what 10-12 years of marriage?

Peyton Manning was rumored to be having affair with TV reporter Angela Buchman...again all rumors...but if his wife is getting it from someone else...who cares...its fair game..

Why get married in first place is my big question...remain single and bang any chick that is available...

Except those DTF chicks in GA....

Crash
01-22-2011, 11:34 PM

I agree. But like I said. What if it ISN'T and he gets busted?

Good wholesome Applie Pie Peyton? If that situation ever happened he would have to sit IMO. He has to be held to Goodell's higher standard as well.

grotonsteel
01-22-2011, 11:43 PM

Good wholesome Applie Pie Peyton? If that situation ever happened he would have to sit IMO. He has to be held to Goodell's higher standard as well.

If he gets busted yes he needs to be suspended for 6 games. Open marriages is not the norm in society.

But the probability is very very less that he gets busted.

Infact Ben should learn from Peyton what kinda chicks to hang with... :wink: :twisted:

grotonsteel
01-22-2011, 11:45 PM

Except those DTF chicks in GA....

:lol: ...so true....

Irongut
01-22-2011, 11:59 PM

If he gets busted yes he needs to be suspended for 6 games. Open marriages is not the norm in society.

Infact Ben should learn from Peyton what kinda chicks to hang with... :wink: :twisted:
He should be suspended for consensual sex between adults? Is this really what you're saying? Really?

Irongut
01-23-2011, 12:01 AM

Sex, marriage and love are not exclusive items.

Flasteel
01-23-2011, 12:02 AM

I have brought this up a couple of times in the past, but I personally witnessed Manning getting a Lewinsky behind a restaurant in 2004. I was 10 feet away from him as a cop shined a light in his face with the chick still on her knees and attached. I was walking by...not hiding in the bushes watching :D . The story is famous among my friends and I was just telling it last night.

I used to date a sports reporter and when she was working in San Diego, she heard the same thing happened out there (minus the cops).

I never heard about the open marriage thing until now, but there's some evidence that it would seem to be true.

Crash
01-23-2011, 12:14 AM
delete

grotonsteel
01-23-2011, 12:23 AM

He should be suspended for consensual sex between adults? Is this really what you're saying? Really?

Yes if he gets BUSTED. For Peyton to get busted some girl needs to open her mouth to press and you believe it will bring positive stuff about NFL players??? Its all about conception among viewers. Ben got screwed because of it and so will Peyton if gets busted. Ask Tiger Woods what happened.Tiger Woods had consensual sex but he lost millions.

Peyton is a married man and i pretty sure majority of Americans would not like Peyton a married guy sleeping around. It brings a bad name to the athletes/sports and i am pretty sure NFL code of conduct will come into picture.

Peyton Manning is the Top Athlete in US after Tiger Woods fiasco and i am pretty sure if Peyton gets busted goofing around NFL will come hard on Peyton. Tiger Woods payed for it so will Peyton Manning.

grotonsteel
01-23-2011, 12:25 AM

Sex, marriage and love are not exclusive items.

Well it seems to be the case with Peyton and his wife.

Crash
01-23-2011, 12:31 AM
Yes if he gets BUSTED. For Peyton to get busted some girl needs to open her mouth to press and you believe it will bring positive stuff about NFL players??? Its all about conception among viewers. Ben got screwed because of it and so will Peyton if gets busted. Ask Tiger Woods what happened.Tiger Woods had consensual sex but he lost millions.

Peyton is a married man and i pretty sure majority of Americans would not like Peyton a married guy sleeping around. It brings a bad name to the athletes/sports and i am pretty sure NFL code of conduct will come into picture.

Peyton Manning is the Top Athlete in US after Tiger Woods fiasco and i am pretty sure if Peyton gets busted goofing around NFL will come hard on Peyton. Tiger Woods payed for it so will Peyton Manning.

Yep. I said when this all came down that Goodell will have opened an entire different can of worms.

Peyton is among the most recognizable faces in sports. He gets caught up in ANOTHER scandal? Suspend him.

Flasteel
01-23-2011, 12:35 AM
...on BA

I've been critical of him since the latter part of the 2007 season. I wasn't quick to call for the man's job and I have always made it a point to recognize what he does well as a coordinator.

One of the attributes where I give the man some big props is his involvement of Ben in the offense. Paring down the playbook, eliminating plays he doesn't like against opponents, and even the control he relinquishes in the no-huddle are qualities which endear him to Ben.

BA isn't stupid. He has a wealth of football knowledge, which far exceeds any of us posting on fan forums. I just don't believe he is skilled at deploying that knowledge to effectively counter opposing defenses on a consistent basis. It's my opinion and the opinion of likely millions. I'll point to the success of our offense when Ben is directing the show and the cogs which continuously have caused them to disappear for long stretches and keep us from performing below our talent level.

It seems to me that Ben is getting more and more input in game-planning and play-calling. His 4th and 1 sneak as well as the bomb to Brown were both him taking charge in a critical situation. What quarterback would want to give that up?

Ben would likely fight tooth and nail to keep BA and maintain (or increase) his command of this offense. If BA can manage to back off a little bit more, I think we will arrive at an equilibrium that can work. Unless the offense falls flat and costs us the game tomorrow-or God forbid, the Super Bowl-I don't think we need to see a change at OC.

hawaiiansteel
01-23-2011, 12:53 AM

unfortunately, that's the line of thinking that got Ben into trouble. maybe it's better to have a trophy wife like Peyton who is independent, has her own career and lets him have his flings here and there...

and if we suspended every NFL player who had an affair or one-night stand we might not have enough players left to have a league.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6A8j2EQmANk/TJcr1C-Fa8I/AAAAAAAARxM/BBTnxRp_DI8/s1600/Ashley+Manning+Photos7.jpg

feltdizz
01-23-2011, 01:22 AM
Flasteel you bring up some good points... but i seriously doubt all the good is Ben and all the bad is BA. Ben will take sacks looking for the play downfield and that kills some drives. Players don't run the hot route, the OL breaks down... all that isn't due to BA's playcalling.

Remember the Washington game that Ben was injured in and didn't play the second half in 2008? We had gone about 10 quarters without an offensive TD. Lefty comes in and we march right down and score a TD.

Our O looks bad at times but I think this year it was due to young WR's getting more reps earlier than we expected. I don't care if we keep him or not... I think he will stay but if he doesn't I'm curious to see how quick people turn on the next guy when we have a bad day. It's already a given Ben does all the work and makes everything happen so the chances of any OC getting credit are slim to none.

Crash
01-23-2011, 01:28 AM
We had gone about 10 quarters without an offensive TD. Lefty comes in and we march right down and score a TD.

We did?

grotonsteel
01-23-2011, 02:48 AM

unfortunately, that's the line of thinking that got Ben into trouble. maybe it's better to have a trophy wife like Peyton who is independent, has her own career and lets him have his flings here and there...

and if we suspended every NFL player who had an affair or one-night stand we might not have enough players left to have a league.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6A8j2EQmANk/TJcr1C-Fa8I/AAAAAAAARxM/BBTnxRp_DI8/s1600/Ashley+Manning+Photos7.jpg

I have no issues with Peyton Manning sleeping around...its between him and his wife...

But can you imagine the magnitude of scandal if say 5 girls come up and say they had sex with Manning. Mannings are treated like first family in NFL. This news will be all across globe.

Peyton Manning image is of a family guy who works hard and a great player and family man...an image most Americans love and easy to market. Now imagine if this rumors become true what happens to that image.

Again i was against Roger suspending Ben. But by suspending Ben he has opened a Pandora's box and with Brett Farve sexting thing happening i don't think NFL can push things under carpet for high profile players especially players like Peyton Manning.

RuthlessBurgher
01-23-2011, 03:13 AM
Thin ice boys...

Thanks!!

Too many kids on the site that can't comprehend it? Don't want to grow the site? What?

Well, since you asked...

We want to grow the site. Unfortunately, when level-headed football-knowledgeable people see two guys catfighting with each other in every other thread, they tend to go away rather than come more often.

We want in depth discussions. The in depth discussion in this thread should be about how well or how poorly the Steelers' offensive coordinator is performing. Unfortunately, it disintegrated into how often the Colts' QB gets a blow job. Nice. Classy.

Two many kids on this site that can't comprehend it? Well, I know two "kids" that are having an awfully hard time comprehending what appropriate behavior is on this board. So far, you have managed to shun constructive suggestions from valued posters such as SanAntonioSteelerFan and eniparadoxgma regarding how this behavior is ticking everyone off. Well, now you've two moderators so far in this one thread (Asian and myself) who are calling you out for this. As Asian succinctly put it...thin ice.

Have a nice day. Enjoy the Conference Championship game. Go Steelers.

fordfixer
01-23-2011, 03:37 AM
Thin ice boys...

Thanks!!

Well, since you asked...

We want to grow the site. Unfortunately, when level-headed football-knowledgeable people see two guys catfighting with each other in every other thread, they tend to go away rather than come more often.

We want in depth discussions. The in depth discussion in this thread should be about how well or how poorly the Steelers' offensive coordinator is performing. Unfortunately, it disintegrated into how often the Colts' QB gets a blow job. Nice. Classy.

Two many kids on this site that can't comprehend it? Well, I know two "kids" that are having an awfully hard time comprehending what appropriate behavior is on this board. So far, you have managed to shun constructive suggestions from valued posters such as SanAntonioSteelerFan and eniparadoxgma regarding how this behavior is ticking everyone off. Well, now you've two moderators so far in this one thread (Asian and myself) who are calling you out for this. As Asian succinctly put it...thin ice.

:Clap :Clap :Clap Well said

Oviedo
01-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Thin ice boys...

Thanks!!

Well, since you asked...

:Clap :Clap :Clap Well said

:Bow :Bow :Bow This is the best Steelers site out there. Everytime someone turns a thread into a personal pissing contest it ruins that thread. Same for posters who kneejerk have something smart to say when someone posts no matter what it is.

The Mods on this board deserve tremendous credit for how they have managed it since we all came over from the Trib site which was crashing and burning with some of the posters that just wanted to start trouble and called it discussion.

Thanks guys.

Irongut
01-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Well, if you don't think my presence here is beneficial to the site, you should ban my username.

We want in depth discussions. The in depth discussion in this thread should be about how well or how poorly the Steelers' offensive coordinator is performing. Unfortunately, it disintegrated into how often the Colts' QB gets a blow job. Nice. Classy.I'd say try reading a bit first. Look no further than page 1 to see who changed the topic.

Again, if you don't think my presence is beneficial to the site, ban me.

Thanks I will.

Irongut
01-23-2011, 12:18 PM
:Bow :Bow :Bow This is the best Steelers site out there. Everytime someone turns a thread into a personal pissing contest it ruins that thread. Same for posters who kneejerk have something smart to say when someone posts no matter what it is.

The Mods on this board deserve tremendous credit for how they have managed it since we all came over from the Trib site which was crashing and burning with some of the posters that just wanted to start trouble and called it discussion.

Thanks guys.

This board doesn't get a quarter of the traffic other sites I post on regularly receive.

Crash has his own site and it gets about 10 posts/day.

Garner from that what you wish but this site is far from the best site out there. It shows promise but that's about it as of now.

Oviedo
01-23-2011, 12:26 PM

Thanks guys.

This board doesn't get a quarter of the traffic other sites I post on regularly receive.

Garner from that what you wish but this site is far from the best site out there. It shows promise but that's about it as of now.

We can agree to disagree on that.

The only board close in the SCI "South Side Complex" forum and the only reason that is good is because Wexell is an active particpant. I also go to other sites and they are filled with a bunch of ego manics trying to prove how smart they are. That is why I read them and don't post.

Glad you have other places to go you enjoy more. Everyone should find their own personal happiness.

hawaiiansteel
01-23-2011, 03:09 PM

in your opinion, what do you think the best site is?

Djfan
01-23-2011, 03:13 PM
If I could venture to speak for the mods (fear and trembling icons go here!) we are interested in good conversation first, numbers second.

I left Stillers.com because of the third grade nonsense.

Flasteel
01-23-2011, 03:22 PM

Thanks guys.

Why would you even go there 43? Nice job of proving everyone's point. :tt2

Crash
01-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Wexell's a buffoon. He mostly participates on the PAY section of his site. The free section? He's hardly there and pretty much told the posters who are he could care less about that portion of his site.

He also allowed anti-Ben trolls to ruin the free board, because he agreed with them, that cost him numerous paying customers who were on that board for years.

When he assaulted Mark Madden at Heinz Field this season he should been removed by security and charges filed. I guess Madden acted bigger than I would have.

Wex has anger issues. Maybe he should hop off the wagon, have a drink, and relax.

hawaiiansteel
01-24-2011, 02:47 PM

well, if you say so it must be true... :roll:

getting back to the topic, do you guys think that the "turtle-ball" play calling in the 2nd half was Arians' idea or that he was instructed by Tomlin to do so?

Doyle37
01-24-2011, 03:07 PM
I would rather have "turtle ball" than have Ben throw a pass into 12 arms on a 3rd and 2 or a 4th and one. I would just roll out ( like Ben did when he scored his rushing TD ) on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 ...give Ben the option of throwing or running. This play also has zero chance of being tipped, intercepted and returned for a back-breaking, momentum changing TD.

Oviedo
01-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Amazing how good Arians is when the OL actually performs.

Crash
01-24-2011, 03:15 PM

His RZ play-calling still stunk early. See what happens when you use your 250 pound QB on first down?

fezziwig
01-24-2011, 04:12 PM

His RZ play-calling still stunk early. See what happens when you use your 250 pound QB on first down?

:Clap :Clap :Clap

fezziwig
01-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Just think if Arians was a good OC, someone else might hire him as their headcoach and then our offense losses time, possibly games learning a new system.
With Brucey being so pedestrian with his play calling it teaches our offense more battle skills.
Not only do they need to fight against the other team, they can sharpen their skills fighting against their OC.

Arians is so bad, he's actually good.

He is comparable to a fart after a night of drinking and eating chilli dogs.

You know once you cut the cheese it's going to stink so badly you, have to sneak a whiff anyway.

So next time you make wind, think of BA.

hawaiiansteel
01-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Clever Arians Play Design Gave Steelers Key Touchdown

Posted on January 25, 2011 by JJ

As we’ve seen in our comments over the past week and months (and years before SL came about), people love to questions Bruce Arians’ playcalling. There’s no doubt that he’s had some awful games (last year’s Browns loss, for example), but he’s also an offensive coordinator for a team going to its second Super Bowl in three years. And in Sunday’s game, some of the Steelers’ success can be credited to Arians’ playcalling and his play design.

That was never more evident than on Ben Roethlisberger’s second-quarter two-yard touchdown run. On that play, Arians’ scheme was good enough to actually make the Jets block their own player.

The Steelers lined up in a run-heavy formation (three tight ends, one running back and one wide receiver). With two tight ends to the left, the formation indicated a likely run to the left. Before the snap, wideout Mike Wallace went in motion from right to left across the formation, adding to the indications that it would be a run to the left.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/1Jetsplay0.jpg

Wallace not only went in motion, he took off across the formation. That forced Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis to run at full speed across the formation as well, a clear indication that Revis was covering Wallace man-to-man.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/1Jetsplay1.jpg

At the snap, Wallace hadn’t made it all the way across the formation by design — the Steelers are going to use him as a play action fake to get the defense moving to the Steelers left. The line fires out to block that way as well. Wallace is just a decoy — one of several on this play. Now keep an eye on Revis.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/4jetsplay2.jpg

Revis has a whole lot of traffic to navigate if he’s going to stay on Wallace, which causes him to not really notice that he’s on a collision course with linebacker Bryan Thomas.

This gives you a better look at it.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/3Jetsplay11.jpg

The play is designed to have three options. 1) Heath Miller in the back of the end zone. 2) Rashard Mendenhall in the flat or 3) Ben Roethlisberger keeps the ball. The Jets covered Miller and Mendenhall extremely well, but Thomas, who had containment responsibility, has been blocked out of the play by Revis.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/5jetsplay3.jpg

The result? A Steelers touchdown that gave Pittsburgh a 17-0 lead.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/6jetsplay4.jpg

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/01/c ... touchdown/ (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/01/clever-play-design-gave-steelers-key-touchdown/)

hawaiiansteel
01-27-2011, 04:29 PM
The Taxman

by maryrose on Jan 25, 2011

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/842210/80415_steelers_football.jpg

In the olden days, the Taxman was the most hated guy in town. He was the guy who went from door to door collecting tax money from people who hated to see him coming. It didn't matter that he might have been a really nice guy, or that he might have done his job exceptionally well. All that mattered was that the nature of his job was such that he wasn't going to win any popularity contests. He knew it and his family knew it. His kids were ridiculed in the school yards. His wife had trouble showing her face in the market. That was the job.

Today we no longer have the Taxman, but its modern day version is called "offensive coordinator." Call a brilliant game and you never hear your name mentioned. Run a play that doesn't work and eight million arm-chair experts start the harpoon-fest. That's the nature of the job. They accept that fact when they agree to the job. Their wives have trouble in the marketplace and their kids are subject to ridicule in the schoolyards.

With the New York Jets having just lost in the NFL Final Four, the fans of Gang Green are calling for the head of Brian Schottenheimer. They have been all season, even though the Jets have reached the AFC Championship twice in a row. It's the territory. When the Ravens lost to the Steelers the week before, Cam Cameron was beheaded on all the Baltimore blogs, and he too has been torched all season. And these are the great teams. In Cleveland, Brian Daboll was chased from the lake, but fortunately for him, he landed in Miami, where Dan Henning was guillotined. Then there's Bob Bratkowski of the Bengals, Charlie Weiss bolting Kansas City, the Denver mess, on and on, and I haven't left the AFC.

Offensive coordinators are like baseball managers. Hindsight is their worst enemy. Take out a pitcher and give up a couple runs and you should have never taken the pitcher out. Leave the guy in and give up a couple runs and you should have taken him out. In football, there are situations that guarantee criticism, unless the play works, and in that case, no one says a word. If you run an end around reverse, it better work or the fans will bemoan a stupid call. Third down and one at the goal line is my favorite. If you try to punch it in and get stuffed, "everyone in the stadium knew that was coming." If you fake, roll and throw incomplete, "just punch the damn ball in." There's no way out, and the Taxman knows it.

Go troll around SB Nation and read the mountains of vitriol aimed at offensive coordinators (unless you have Brady, Manning or Brees who can do the job without them). All of this, while extremely annoying to me, at least soothes my defense of Bruce Arians. At least it's universal and not just in Pittsburgh that four million people can do the job better. At its very core, Arians is shackled by the fact that the Steelers have an offensive line put together by duct tape, castoffs and Elmer's Glue. With this engine, despite a pretty body, nothing will be easy. Someday I hope that man gets a decent, cohesive offensive line that does not play musical chairs. He deserves it.

There are many reasons why I want the Steelers to win the Super Bowl, of course, and Bruce Arians is one of them. He will never be respected. He might watch film 10 hours a day and spend another 10 hours in practice and meetings, but there is one thing he doesn't have that will always be used against him, and that is hindsight. He is working a job opposite a Hall of Fame legend, a coach everyone loves to love. He is the Wicked Witch standing alongside Glinda.. He cannot win in the game of public appeal. If the Steelers come up short, it is because of him. If they succeed, it is despite him. There is no way out. He knows it, his family knows it and the entire Steelers organization knows it.

"People who know football know how good he is," claimed Ben Roethlisberger at a recent press conference. "The people in this building know how good he is." Unfortunately, Arians will have to settle for the inner core, because out on the streets he will always be the Taxman.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... the-taxman (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/1/25/1955089/the-taxman)