PDA

View Full Version : Fun little discussion about Ben

proudpittsburgher
01-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Although the context puts him behind the 8-ball right off the bat (all-time discussion), but he gets love from all four and rightfully so.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-st ... in-history (http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/09000d5d81dca5fe/Inside-the-NFL-Big-Ben-s-place-in-history)

MCHammer
01-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Thanks for posting that. Aside from any discussion about Ben, I think it is significant that commentators are starting to accept the Steelers are no longer a run centric offense. Took 'em long enough.

If I was paid for watching and talking about football, I'd not only do my homework - but enjoy it. It's unbelievable to me how people can still mail it in on their Steelers analysis with worn not cliches about being a run first team. Ben's been carrying us for years now.

Ozey74
01-21-2011, 11:29 PM
Ben's been carrying us for years now.

Yes, he has! It's funny how nobody outside of our fan base can admit that. Our run game is a hair above average at best. Our best WR, Wallace, only has 60 catches. Hines Ward is aging and is best known for his blocking prowless. The next WR's on the list are 2 rookies. Plus he lost his top 2 o-lineman coming into camp.

Despite the above limitations, he does nothing but win. He is nothing short of incredible!

:tt1

feltdizz
01-22-2011, 01:05 PM

Yes, he has! It's funny how nobody outside of our fan base can admit that. Our run game is a hair above average at best. Our best WR, Wallace, only has 60 catches. Hines Ward is aging and is best known for his blocking prowless. The next WR's on the list are 2 rookies. Plus he lost his top 2 o-lineman coming into camp.

Despite the above limitations, he does nothing but win. He is nothing short of incredible!

The D isn't too shabby either... :wink:

Ozey74
01-22-2011, 02:23 PM

The D isn't too shabby either... :wink:

True. But when hasn't our D ever not been too shabby? We weren't winning SB with Brister, Kordell, & Maddox. Insert Ben & the SB appearances start happening.

:tt2

Crash
01-22-2011, 03:12 PM
True. But when hasn't our D ever not been too shabby? We weren't winning SB with Brister, Kordell, & Maddox. Insert Ben & the SB appearances start happening

That's what morons can't comprehend.

All of those good running games and defenses from 1983-2003, and we won ONE AFC title.

2004-2010: Two AFC titles, two rings.

Irongut
01-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Ben certainly balances our team but we are still a defensive dominating team. Without a competent QB, our defense can't win alone. Ben provides that and more.

Crash
01-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Ben certainly balances our team but we are still a defensive dominating team. Without a competent QB, our defense can't win alone. Ben provides that and more.

Neil O'Donnell was competent.

Ben is far better than that. He's a HOF QB no matter how bad that sucks for you.

Irongut
01-22-2011, 03:20 PM

Neil O'Donnell was competent.

Ben is far better than that. He's a HOF QB no matter how bad that sucks for you.

yep, Neil was competent and if he doesn't screw up at the worst time, he has a ring. Great example!

I'd agree that Ben is better. If he wins a third he's a HOF'er. Not sure how any of that sucks for me though? :lol:

Your bitterness and sadness seem to be creeping back in.

Crash
01-22-2011, 03:27 PM
If he wins a third he's a HOF'er.

IMO he's a HOF-er now. If he wins TOMORROW he's a lock.

History proves it.

feltdizz
01-22-2011, 03:53 PM
True. But when hasn't our D ever not been too shabby? We weren't winning SB with Brister, Kordell, & Maddox. Insert Ben & the SB appearances start happening

That's what morons can't comprehend.

All of those good running games and defenses from 1983-2003, and we won ONE AFC title.

2004-2010: Two AFC titles, two rings.

Until Ben our franchise did everything but draft or trade for a legit QB. Neil was the closest thing the a real QB and he made it to the SB. If he resigned or had any balls when the blitz was on he would have a ring.

Crash
01-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Neil was the closest thing the a real QB and he made it to the SB.

Right, and that was the ONLY YEAR, in the first TEN SEASONS, of Bill Cowher's career, when he had a passing attack that was ranked in the top 10.

See?

Irongut
01-22-2011, 03:57 PM
If he wins a third he's a HOF'er.

IMO he's a HOF-er now. If he wins TOMORROW he's a lock.

History proves it.

I wouldn't likely argue that but it's certainly debateable now.

Irongut
01-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Neil was the closest thing the a real QB and he made it to the SB.

Right, and that was the ONLY YEAR, in the first TEN SEASONS, of Bill Cowher's career, when he had a passing attack that was ranked in the top 10.

See?

Yeah, nobody denies if Cowher had a better QB, he'd be stacking his rings.

The years we've won the Super Bowl, we were 1st and 4th in defensive yards IIRC.

I don't think anyone thinks we win either of the SB's without the defense dominating.

Crash
01-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Three more productive years with 2 rings and he's in.

Troy Aikman's in. Ben's better.

Irongut
01-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Three more productive years with 2 rings and he's in.

Troy Aikman's in. Ben's better.

Yeah, I don't doubt that but he doesn't have those three years today.

I suspect the Steelers win another title this year, giving Ben three rings, so it's a moot point.