PDA

View Full Version : Jets defense says Hines Ward is 'toughest guy in the league

fordfixer
01-21-2011, 02:10 AM
Jets defense says Hines Ward is 'toughest guy in the league when nobody's looking'
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/0 ... ard_i.html (http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/01/jets_defense_said_hines_ward_i.html)

Published: Thursday, January 20, 2011, 5:03 PM

PETTINE.JPGJohn Munson/The Star-LedgerJets

defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said it's known among players that Hines Ward is the "toughest guy in the league when no one is looking."

Mike Pettine said his players are well aware of Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward.

"Our guys, I think, called him the toughest guy in the league when nobody's looking," the Jets defensive coordinator said.

Known for his crack-back blocking style and overall ruthless field persona, Ward has, without question, drawn the ire of many players — not just the Jets.

So, for the Jets’ first matchup against the Steelers this season, the team created a “highlight tape” of sorts, showing Ward's countless low-lights. Pettine felt it was important to document the dangers of a player with one of the league’s dirtiest reputations.

“Our guys are certainly well aware of his reputation,” said Pettine, whose Jets' defense will face Ward again in Sunday's AFC title game. “... And again, that works for (the Steelers). He’s kind of the spark that gets them going, and we’re well aware of it.”

Some other worthy notes from his presser:

* Pettine called defending Steelers WR Mike Wallace "football 101." The most important thing Sunday will be jamming him at the line of scrimmage and hanging a safety high over the top.

* When Big Ben scrambles, there is an organization to the chaos that follows. In the case of a breakdown, Pettine instructs his guys to find the nearest guy, but to always be mindful of the deepest one first to eliminate big plays.

* He joked that of all the players he could possibly throw at Ben Roethlisberger, the most successful — so far — has been the 5-9, 180-pound Drew Coleman. In their last meeting, Coleman had two sacks on the mammoth Roethlisberger.

skyhawk
01-21-2011, 02:14 AM
He is still the toughest WR in the league when people ARE looking. Just ask Ed Reed.

John Munson= Rookie. Douchebag. I love all the NY media piling on when they have no idea what they are talking about.

fordfixer
01-21-2011, 02:25 AM
He is still the toughest WR in the league when people ARE looking. Just ask Ed Reed.

John Munson= Rookie. Douchebag. I love all the NY media piling on when they have no idea what they are talking about.
I think Bart Scott might know something about that also :lol:

proudpittsburgher
01-21-2011, 07:30 AM

Beat me to it, he overpowered Ed Reed when the two were face to face on Saturday night.

feltdizz
01-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Hines is a punk, womanizer and his day will come. :stirpot

proudpittsburgher
01-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Hines is a punk, womanizer and his day will come. :stirpot

Getting your application in for the Crash fan club early, huh? :)

Stewie
01-21-2011, 09:37 AM
This just in from Hines: "You better look!" Seriously, I just rewatched the Ratbird game, and Hines got some tasty blocks. I am still trying to figure out how Hines was the only one flagged on the Reed block.

Starlifter
01-21-2011, 10:13 AM
anyone have a link to the video of bart scott totally bailing to the ground when he see's hines at the last second about to crush him? I believe it was in his last year as a rat before they shipped him off to NY.

Djfan
01-21-2011, 10:28 AM
I would love to see that tape the Jets made. I hope it leaks to youtube.

SteelTorch
01-21-2011, 11:28 AM
I would love to see that tape the Jets made. I hope it leaks to youtube.
+1! :D

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-21-2011, 12:42 PM
This just in from Hines: "You better look!" Seriously, I just rewatched the Ratbird game, and Hines got some tasty blocks. I am still trying to figure out how Hines was the only one flagged on the Reed block.

Because every call went against the Ravens. :roll:

papillon
01-21-2011, 12:48 PM
The rabbit has the gun b1tches! :tt2

Pappy

Mister Pittsburgh
01-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Amazingly, he doesn't get flagged very often at all and when he does, he is the one on the ground getting boot stomped.

I love how 'dirty hits' now equates to a totally legal hit that kicks your azz.