PDA

View Full Version : Ben speaks

fordfixer
01-21-2011, 02:01 AM
Ben speaks
January 19th, 2011
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29 (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2011/01/19/ben-speaks-3/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29)

Here is a transcript of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's Q&A with the media Wednesday.

Q: How did you develop the pump fake you use so much?

A: “I have no idea. Honestly.”

Q: Have you always had it?

A: “I guess so. I’ve never really thought about it that much.”

Q: Are the Jets doing anything differently than last time you saw them?

A: “Today we’re just kind of getting into it, but they’re a really good defense, point blank. The first time, obviously, they came in here and put a hurting on us here at home. They have a lot of great players from inside the line to the linebackers to the secondary. They try and confuse. I think that’s the biggest thing that they do, and part of Rex Ryan’s mastermind coach, I mean he did it with Baltimore when we played them and now he’s doing it here with the Jets. It’s just bringing guys from all over the place. You don’t know where people are lining up, how to identify; it’s a big challenge for us this week.”

Q: How important has it been re-developing your relationship with the city?

A: “You know what? It’s about the last thing on my mind right now. It’s about playing football, and that’s what I try to do is play football games and win and just be me.”

Q: Do you relish this chance in the playoffs more this year?

A: “Anytime that I can be around these guys and play the game that I love, it’s an awesome thing, and the success that we’ve had this year as a team is a great thing. I said all along, we’re a family, we’re a close group, and to be able to have this opportunity to play a great football team like the Jets, to be able to do it at home in front of our fans is an awesome thing.”

Q: Do you think Darrelle Revis’ reputation keeps quarterbacks from throwing in his direction, even when guys look to be open sometimes?

A: “Absolutely. But then you get in trouble because you go to the other side and there’s (Antonio) Cromartie. That’s why I say this whole defense is so good. It’s hard to single out one guy to stay away from because they have 10 other guys, and sometimes it seems like 15 other guys out there that you have to deal with. But to answer your question, absolutely, he’s a stopper.”

Q: When Santonio Holmes was traded, what were your thoughts?

A: “Just kind of amazement, wondering what was going on, what happened? Just a lot of questions.”

Q: What did you think about the touchdown catch last Sunday that Santonio Holmes had?

A: “Unbelievable. I mean, that’s what he does, he makes plays.”

Q: What does it mean having Heath Miller being available this time against the Jets.

A: “It’s huge. Heath Miller is the best tight end in the game. I don’t want to take anything away from D.J. (David Johnson) or Matt Spaeth, who played well last time, but Heath Miller is a special player, and even when he’s not getting the ball, he opens things up for the guys on the outside and he’s a great safety valve for me.

Q: How different do the Jets look from week to week?

A: “It’s a lot of confusion. That’s, I think, probably one of the things they pride themselves in. It starts with coach (Rex) Ryan. He’s a mastermind at what he does, and that’s why it’s extra study, it’s extra walkthroughs. It’s as much as you can do. The Jets defense beat the two best quarterbacks in the game at their place. I don’t know how I’m going to do it. I mean, they’re good.”

Q: On Peyton Manning and Tom Brady not being able to move outside the pocket like him and if being able to get out of the pocket becomes another weapon in his arsenal this week?

A: “I guess, but those two are also the best in the pocket at doing what they do. Like I said, to go into their place and beat them at home is something really special.”

Q: What did you think of Antonio Cromartie saying, ‘I love Ben.’

A: “I love him, too. I have a lot of respect for those guys, every single one of them on defense, because they’re so good. I mean, they really are. I could just sit here and talk good about them all day, but all I have to do is say they went to Indy and to New England and beat the two best quarterbacks in the game. Enough said in my opinion.”

Q: On his run in 2005 and if he sees Mark Sanchez starting to gain that kind of confidence?

A: “Oh, yeah. He had a lot of what I did, too. It’s nice when they don’t talk about you because they talk about your defense and how good they are and the players. So it’s kind of a nice thing you can fly under the radar a little bit. With him being in New York it’s a little bit harder to do that, but every week you watch him he’s getting better. He takes the criticism that everyone seems to be giving him for some reason and just kind of seems to brush it off and move on and play better every week.”

Q: What progress do you see in Mark Sanchez?

A: “Like I said, I think he just makes the plays. People get on him a lot. It’s, ‘Run the ball and manage the game, Mark.’ No, to be a quarterback at (that) level and do what he’s done, you don’t just manage a game. You play the game and do it at a high level, and that’s what he’s done. And I think, like I said, every week you see him take strides and get that much better.”

Q: What kind of advantage does a quarterback have when he walks into an established and veteran team?

A: “It helps because you don’t feel like you have to make a play every single time. You can afford to make a mistake and your defense is going to bail you out. At least that was the mentality that I took. I don’t know if that’s the same approach he has, but to be able to have a complete team and a veteran team, guys that know how to win football games, it helps, especially as a young guy.”

Q: Do you feel in some way like you are partially responsible for Santonio Holmes not being here (with his issues and having the sense the Steelers couldn’t have too many more situations)?

A: “Well, it’s probably a question for the front office.”

Q: Does it rankle you that you are not mentioned with the top quarterbacks?

A: “No, it’s OK for me because I know that I’m probably not ever going to win a league MVP, probably never going to win a passing title. But that’s not why I play the game. I just go out and try and win football games and try and win championships.”

Q: What do you think about Hines Ward being outspoken?

A: “I think this is a team. We stand up for each other, we look out for each other, and I think that’s one of the reasons we have the success that we have is because we are there for each other and we treat each other like we’re family and we see each other as family."

Q: What do you think of Bart Scott speaking highly of you?

A: “It’s a compliment, especially when other defenses or players talk highly of you. I know Bart from many a times in Baltimore and some fierce rivalries that we’ve had. He’s delivered one of the hardest hits on me that I’ve ever felt, so that’s why I take what Bart Scott says with a grain of salt.”

Q: Does the chemistry feel different this year because of everything you have been through?

A: "No, I think we…I’ve been here seven years, and that’s a long time. We’ve had a lot of the same guys. We have had some new turnover, which you do on any team, but to be able to be around a group like this, it starts at the top. It starts with the Rooney family to the coaches to the players. I’ve said since I got here, I was excited to come to the Steelers because it’s a special organization.”

Q: Do you laugh off the criticism that Bruce Arians get?

A: “I have nothing but the utmost respect for Bruce, for the play calling, for him as a person. He is a mentor to me, a fatherly figure. He gets way, way too much blame and criticism, and he just kind of laughs about it. And it’s kind of unfortunate because he is so good. If you ask the players, we know. If you ask someone that knows the game of football, you know how good he is and what he’s done for this offense and what he brings. He gets criticized when last year we had two 1,000-yard receivers, a 1,000-yard rusher and a 4,000-yard passer. That’s a pretty good offense. So I think he gets way too much heat, but because he’s been coaching for so long and is such a good professional, he just lets it kind of roll off his sleeve and keeps moving forward. And that’s one of the (reasons) why we respect him and love him so much.”

skyhawk
01-21-2011, 02:10 AM
Geez. Ben is so selfish and such a jerk. :roll:

He sounds like a consummate pro to me.

Crash
01-21-2011, 02:13 AM
Same 7 year old comments.

skyhawk
01-21-2011, 02:36 AM
Same 7 year old comments.

Definitely. I remember watching interviews of him 5 years ago and thinking the same thing.

Scarletfire1970
01-21-2011, 07:56 AM
He really likes BA.

I am a little worried that the Jets beat NE and Indy offense. Ours sucks compared to theirs, well most of the time anyway. We better bring a good game plan on offense. We better be ready.

feltdizz
01-21-2011, 09:30 AM
He really likes BA.

I am a little worried that the Jets beat NE and Indy offense. Ours sucks compared to theirs, well most of the time anyway. We better bring a good game plan on offense. We better be ready.

actually our offense is pretty damn good when it comes to playoff football.

Those other 2 offenses are all timing and once the timing is messed up it's easy to defeat them.

We are more of a Rocky Balboa type offense.... run right at you... take hits, keep getting up and knock you out in the 15th.

proudpittsburgher
01-21-2011, 09:35 AM
He really likes BA.

actually our offense is pretty damn good when it comes to playoff football.

Those other 2 offenses are all timing and once the timing is messed up it's easy to defeat them.

We are more of a Rocky Balboa type offense.... run right at you... take hits, keep getting up and knock you out in the 15th.

Good point, felt. And in the end, I don't know of another fan who wouldn't choose that type of offense over a timing offense like in Indy and NE. When things go well for them, there is none better, but over a 16 game season and a one-and-done playoffs, chances are you are going to hit a bump in the road, something flukie happens, someone is off their game, whatever . . . then what? Well, People in Indy and New England are asking themselves that question right now.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Bruce Arians is such a good OC that not one other team even bothers to bring him in for an interview for a HC job.

Oviedo
01-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Bruce Arians is such a good OC that not one other team even bothers to bring him in for an interview for a HC job.

THere are lots of Coordinators who don't get interviewed to be Head Coaches. That hardly means the guy is not well respected for what he does. As a matter of fact the NFL is littered with Coordinators who have failed as Head Coaches and should have never quit be doordinators, e.g. Dick LeBeau, Dom Capers, Dave Wannstedt, etc. etc. Sometimes you just have to know where you fit.

Steelers>NFL
01-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Q: What do you think about Hines Ward being outspoken?

A: “I think this is a team. We stand up for each other, we look out for each other, and I think that’s one of the reasons we have the success that we have is because we are there for each other and we treat each other like we’re family and we see each other as family." ”

See, here is proof that there never was, or is no problems between these two guys.
The difference is, one's off season is always surrounded with drama. The other just
keeps low. :stirpot

Mister Pittsburgh
01-21-2011, 11:06 AM

THere are lots of Coordinators who don't get interviewed to be Head Coaches. That hardly means the guy is not well respected for what he does. As a matter of fact the NFL is littered with Coordinators who have failed as Head Coaches and should have never quit be doordinators, e.g. bad word LeBeau, Dom Capers, Dave Wannstedt, etc. etc. Sometimes you just have to know where you fit.

Those coordinators have all been head coaches though. At least given a shot. I am not saying Arians isn't at least respected around the league, but Ben makes him sound a lot higher up on the list than just 'respected'.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-21-2011, 12:37 PM
He really likes BA.

Firs of all I have been laughing all week about all the "they beat Indy" comments like that is some sort of unattainable feat. Lots of teams beat the Colts in the playoffs, and all I've heard all year is how poor Peyton had to deal with injuries and does not have his offensive weapons.

That aside, beating down those two offenses are similar tasks, and the Jets did a great job of that. The Steelers offense provides much different challenges - and has different weaknesses.

First of all, the QBs are comlpetely different. Both PM and TB are great pocket passers, but the alarm clock goes off as the pass rush approaches. Ben is more dangerous against a pass rush, and if he can avoid going down to it then his options open up wide, including running himself.

The Pats don't have a receiver who can take the top off the D now without Moss. The Steelers have three who can blow by the top.

Neither Indy nor NE had much depth at WR after their #1 landed on Revis Island. We are getting contributions from numbers three and four - and even the odd TD pass from our #5.

Neither Wayne nor Branch is a true burner, giving Revis a dream matchup of #1 against #1 both times. Revis wasn't even assigned to our #1 last time around.

Both of those teams played rooks at TE, which may have been a factor in the playoffs. We have a steady vet.

Now, on to the Steeler offensive weakness. We all know what that one is. Both Indy and NE have much better O lines than us. The Jets managed to apply pressue without much blitzing.

The Steelers are much weaker there and will have to avoid those big, quick sacks. If they can give Ben time then dropping 8 like they did against New England will not work. We have too many weapons that will eventually come uncovered, and our deep threats will spread the Jets D out.

If their pass rush can get to Ben then it will be a much closer game.

feltdizz
01-21-2011, 12:51 PM

That is a tired line. It's like hearing a Peyton fan ask why Ben hasn't won a league MVP.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-21-2011, 01:06 PM

That is a tired line. It's like hearing a Peyton fan ask why Ben hasn't won a league MVP.

??????? Not really the same thing at all.

feltdizz
01-21-2011, 01:10 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":uqik6wxn]Bruce Arians is such a good OC that not one other team even bothers to bring him in for an interview for a HC job.

THere are lots of Coordinators who don't get interviewed to be Head Coaches. That hardly means the guy is not well respected for what he does. As a matter of fact the NFL is littered with Coordinators who have failed as Head Coaches and should have never quit be doordinators, e.g. bad word LeBeau, Dom Capers, Dave Wannstedt, etc. etc. Sometimes you just have to know where you fit.

Those coordinators have all been head coaches though. At least given a shot. I am not saying Arians isn't at least respected around the league, but Ben makes him sound a lot higher up on the list than just 'respected'.[/quote:uqik6wxn]

The QB with 2 rings and a chance for a 3rd who spends everyday with his OC actually likes his OC and thinks highly of him?

Surely the people who see Arians on gameday through a TV or maybe once or twice a year in person know exactly who Arians is and where he ranks. :lol:

feltdizz
01-21-2011, 01:11 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":353013mb]Bruce Arians is such a good OC that not one other team even bothers to bring him in for an interview for a HC job.

??????? Not really the same thing at all.[/quote:353013mb]

never said it was the same.

RuthlessBurgher
01-21-2011, 01:16 PM

Yeah, I don't buy that either. Does this mean that guys like Tom Moore, Monte Kiffin, the late Jim Johnson, etc. where not good coaches because NFL teams weren't clamoring to hire these guys as head coaches?

grotonsteel
01-21-2011, 01:24 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":1ob6ie06]Bruce Arians is such a good OC that not one other team even bothers to bring him in for an interview for a HC job.

Those coordinators have all been head coaches though. At least given a shot. I am not saying Arians isn't at least respected around the league, but Ben makes him sound a lot higher up on the list than just 'respected'.

The QB with 2 rings and a chance for a 3rd who spends everyday with his OC actually likes his OC and thinks highly of him?

Surely the people who see Arians on gameday through a TV or maybe once or twice a year in person know exactly who Arians is and where he ranks. :lol:[/quote:1ob6ie06]

I would not give much thought to Ben praising BA...if Ben can compliment his 2008 O-line he is capable of praising anyone...

I think BA is average at best and if they can upgrade the OC position i would not mind hiring a new OC. But is there a OC available who is better than BA. I don't think so hence i would not mind BA continuing.

feltdizz
01-21-2011, 01:25 PM

Yeah, I don't buy that either. Does this mean that guys like Tom Moore, Monte Kiffin, the late Jim Johnson, etc. where not good coaches because NFL teams weren't clamoring to hire these guys as head coaches?

If we win the SB this year it will be hilarious... surely it will be in spite of BA but I guess it's what fans do when they are spoiled and used to winning championships. Someone has to take the heat for these occasional losses.

feltdizz
01-21-2011, 01:30 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":3m1zeiit]Bruce Arians is such a good OC that not one other team even bothers to bring him in for an interview for a HC job.

Surely the people who see Arians on gameday through a TV or maybe once or twice a year in person know exactly who Arians is and where he ranks. :lol:

I would not give much thought to Ben praising BA...if Ben can compliment his 2008 O-line he is capable of praising anyone...

I think BA is average at best and if they can upgrade the OC position i would not mind hiring a new OC. But is there a OC available who is better than BA. I don't think so hence i would not mind BA continuing.[/quote:3m1zeiit]

The OL in 2008 was terrible... but they played really well in the playoffs. Mahan was really bad.

NorthCoast
01-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Ben makes Arians look better than he is.....I don't think anyone has ever accused Arians of making Ben look better than he is. It has been proven time and again before our eyes, when Ben takes command of plays in the no-huddle or hurry up, the offense's complexion completely changes.

feltdizz
01-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Ben makes Arians look better than he is.....I don't think anyone has ever accused Arians of making Ben look better than he is. It has been proven time and again before our eyes, when Ben takes command of plays in the no-huddle or hurry up, the offense's complexion completely changes.

EVERY elite QB's make the OC look better then they are.

Unless a new OC comes in and Ben throws for 6,000 yards anyone can say it's all Ben... even if he gives the OC credit we will just say it's Ben being nice and if 2 WR's have 1500 yards and the RB has 2,000 and we don't win the SB.... the OC will suck.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-21-2011, 02:02 PM
I am not basing my opinion of BA on winning or losing. I am basing it on what I have seen in his tenure.

Ben has praised BA from day one because his only experience with OC's was with Whiz who kept him under his thumb and didn't let him do anything, and BA who actually treated Ben like a big boy.

All I will say positive though is over the past 3 games or so our offense looks a lot better. Not sure if that is BA, or the young WR starting to really emerge.

Regardless, I would bet that Randy Fichtner is the OC if not next season, the following one.

BA's offenses have typically taken the players at his disposal, and forced them into certain roles regardless of their individual skill set. He has repeatedly said as much. To me a good OC takes a player, looks at what they excell at, and finds ways to let them use those skills.

feltdizz
01-21-2011, 03:18 PM
I am not basing my opinion of BA on winning or losing. I am basing it on what I have seen in his tenure.

Ben has praised BA from day one because his only experience with OC's was with Whiz who kept him under his thumb and didn't let him do anything, and BA who actually treated Ben like a big boy.

All I will say positive though is over the past 3 games or so our offense looks a lot better. Not sure if that is BA, or the young WR starting to really emerge.

Regardless, I would bet that Randy Fichtner is the OC if not next season, the following one.

BA's offenses have typically taken the players at his disposal, and forced them into certain roles regardless of their individual skill set. He has repeatedly said as much. To me a good OC takes a player, looks at what they excell at, and finds ways to let them use those skills.

If anything BA has been forced to work with a damaged, injury riddled, bad OL... Sweed not panning out, Mendenhall breaking his arm, Holmes getting traded, Ben being injured, Ben being out... Charlie going down, Lefty going down...

This list of missed players due to injury on the offensive side of the ball is insane the last 3 years.

Who are these great OC's that everyone keeps talking about? A few said Cam Cameron, others said Garrett in Dallas... Sean Payton is great but he looked like a fool this postseason.

The main problem is most great OC's are only as good as the players they have. People talk like they would have this team rolling if they were in charge. Look at Manning and Brady the last 2 weeks.. was that bad OC or just part of the game? Someone has to lose and it's 50/50 on on every play between the OC and DC.

and we have still been able to compete in games.

RuthlessBurgher
01-21-2011, 05:02 PM
I was one of several folks on this board who thought Jeremy Bates was an young (he's 4 years younger than Tomlin), up-and-coming offensive mind that helped develop Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler in Denver before Josh McDaniels got there and ruined it. Jeremy comes from a coaching family (his father was longtime NFL defensive coordinator Jim Bates) and Tomlin worked on the same staff with Jeremy for 3 seasons in Tampa.

However, Bates was just let go after his first season as an NFL O.C. in Seattle. Go figure. Goes to show what I know, right?

I still think the kid could be a good one, though (he needed to shuffle his OL about as much as we did this season, plus he didn't have anywhere close to the same amount of talent at QB or other offensive weapons as we have here, for instance, but his team did manage to score 41 points in an upset win over the defending Super Bowl champions in the first round of these playoffs).

Mister Pittsburgh
01-21-2011, 05:17 PM
I have a feeling Randy Fichtner will be the next OC. Steelers love continuity. Tomlin brought him in with him upon his hire. Started out as WR coach, and moved up to QB coach when Anderson retired. Fichtner has run very successful college offenses but not in the NFL to this point.

Tomlin worked with Fichtner back in his Arkansas State days so must of thought a lot of him from then to bring him on as his first WR coach.

That is my guess as Arians replacement anyway. Ben is probably already comfortable with him since he is his QB coach.

RuthlessBurgher
01-21-2011, 05:37 PM
I still think Fichtner's year-by-year transformation from nerd to hillbilly is striking:

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/75387145.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F5FF95EE5F36EFB3C1 C66E39DC8BD6CD11389460B3D9F9D39C

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/81966483.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA548EBF447860A701790 92D45502BAECEA195CCEE431C37C7291E30A760B0D811297

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/89747216.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D03437D4264755FAAD FEDB1A2FDEC85695FECF4306109B81A5E30A760B0D811297

And when you catch him on the sidelines during games now, it looks like he has also gained a whole bunch of weight.

Then again, Arians tends to be a chameleon as well, never looking the same from year to year.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-21-2011, 06:00 PM
LOL....that is freaking hillarious. He must of watched tombstone a bunch of times in his first offseason.....either that or Arians goatee was a stick on costume goatee and he gave Fichtner one for Christmas!