PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cowher says he likes the Jets???

lambertslunatics
01-20-2011, 10:51 AM
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/01/19/bill-cowher-on-wfan-i-like-the-jets/

That we will have some issues this week, and that the Jets will win.

proudpittsburgher
01-20-2011, 11:00 AM
At first when I read that story, I didn't read into it that he liked the Jets to win, only liked the Jets. But reading it again, that's what I take from it as well. He was pretty much the only person on the telecast sticking up for the Steelers after the lovefest after Sunday's Jets win over the Patriots. Surprising that he did a 180, but I have a sneeking suspician that he will change his tune on Sunday.

lambertslunatics
01-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Yeah I think (if I read the article correctly) that after he said it he realized UH OH, and backtracked with the "Oh I was talking about the Pats game, your talking about the Steelers game??" Cowher isn't that stupid, he knew exactly what he was saying even if he got caught up in the moment.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-20-2011, 10:20 PM
He's gotta make a living, and controversy fits the bill.

Plus, even if he believes it, it's OK. Didn't the Bus predict against us a fair amount of times?

DukieBoy
01-20-2011, 10:25 PM
That'll add some fuel to the already ablaze fire the Steelers have for this game.

Crash
01-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Bill Who?

Oh, the guy that quit on his team. Him?

BFD.

Oviedo
01-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Given his performance as HC in AFC Championship games I like he is picking the Jets

Crash
01-20-2011, 11:31 PM
Given his performance as HC in AFC Championship games I like he is picking the Jets

Yeah what does he know about winning AFC title games at home?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Drink some happy juice, guys!

I wouldn't put it past ol' sly Bill to say that on purpose, to motivate the troops.

Crash
01-20-2011, 11:39 PM
Cowher doesn't want them to win. They win another one without him and Cowher becomes irrelevant, and is reminded of his choke jobs.

Irongut
01-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Cowher doesn't want them to win. They win another one without him and Cowher becomes irrelevant, and is reminded of his choke jobs.

that's ridiculous. irrelevant? only to the haters like yourself.

Cowher is a HOF'er, not irrelevant.

Crash
01-21-2011, 12:10 AM

Cowher has yet to be inducted in the HOF.

Irongut
01-21-2011, 12:14 AM

Cowher has yet to be inducted in the HOF.
But we both know that's only because he hasn't retired.

Crash
01-21-2011, 12:16 AM

And sooner or later if he doesn't make it official he's going to PO the voters and he will be ignored.

It's the reason why Bill Parcells never made it.

Irongut
01-21-2011, 12:17 AM

And sooner or later if he doesn't make it official he's going to PO the voters and he will be ignored.

It's the reason why Bill Parcells never made it.

yeah, ok.

Djfan
01-21-2011, 12:31 AM
Here these two go again!

DukieBoy
01-21-2011, 12:31 AM

I wouldn't put it past ol' sly Bill to say that on purpose, to motivate the troops.
What SAS said.
:Agree

Crash
01-21-2011, 12:38 AM
I don't think Cowher's that smart to be honest with you.

Irongut
01-21-2011, 12:39 AM

What SAS said.
:Agree
Yep, thought the same but then, I don't hate Cowher like Crash does/has/always will.

RuthlessBurgher
01-21-2011, 01:12 AM

Only Tom Jackson is allowed to do that.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Tom-Jackson-insists-he-picked-Pats-because-it-d-?urn=nfl-309643

"[Sunday] I played a bit of a psychological game with the Jets. It's something that I need to explain. I thought that more important to the Jets than hearing another score of '24-21, they have a chance to win,' was that it was important that they have in their mind, 'you got beat 45 to 3. A large segment of the population believes that can happen to you again.'

"[The Jets] are all watching [ESPN Sunday 'NFL Countdown' before the game]. I wanted to further fuel and cement them in that bunker mentality of us against the world. [...]

"As a defensive player, I certainly knew that they had a chance to win and I thought that they certainly might win the game. But I knew when they saw 30-10 that I think they would be reminded of what most people were feeling. And I knew they needed to be a little angrier going on the field."

Crash
01-21-2011, 01:18 AM
I think Tom Jackson has dementia. You listen to clips of him 15 years ago and compare them to now it's like he's a boxer who has taken too many shots to the head.

Something ain't right with him.

hawaiiansteel
01-21-2011, 03:15 AM
Cowher picks Jets to beat Steelers

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, January 21, 2011

The Steelers may be favored to beat the Jets Sunday, but don't tell that to their former coach.

Bill Cowher predicted on a New York radio station earlier this week that the Jets, not the Steelers, will win the AFC Championship Game and advance to Super Bowl XLV.

"He can pick whoever he wants," Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward with a laugh. "Coach Cowher's not our coach anymore. Guess we have to prove him wrong, too."

Cowher coached the Steelers from 1992-2006, leading them to a Super Bowl title in 2005. The Crafton native is now a studio analyst for "The NFL Today" on CBS.

Cowher visited the Steelers' practice facility last Thursday on a work assignment and interviewed Ward, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and outside linebacker James Harrison.

Earlier this week Cowher said on WFAN, "The way the Jets are playing, I'm telling you this is going to be a game, I think it will be a classic game, and I like the Jets. They match up well. I think it's going to be a tough ball game, but they certainly have all the ingredients to go to the Super Bowl."

Like Ward, Harrison shrugged off Cowher picking the Jets to win Sunday at Heinz Field.

"Everyone's got their own predictions or whatever it may be," Harrison said.

Harrison added that if the Steelers listened to prognosticators, "We'd be 8-8 and third in our division."

Read more: Cowher picks Jets to beat Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1BeCtnZqY (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_719156.html#ixzz1BeCtnZqY)

Crash
01-21-2011, 03:28 AM
Harrison added that if the Steelers listened to prognosticators, "We'd be 8-8 and third in our division."

:owned

:moon

DukieBoy
01-21-2011, 08:06 AM
I think Tom Jackson has dementia. You listen to clips of him 15 years ago and compare them to now it's like he's a boxer who has taken too many shots to the head.

Something ain't right with him.
Isn't he from Cleveland?

proudpittsburgher
01-21-2011, 09:23 AM
I get worked up about a lot that happens in the media, but not this stuff. These guys are not paid to be homers, they are paid to be professionals. It's nice to get love from the national media, but in the end, it doesn't matter any more than if they stuck a camera in your face or mine and asked me who I thought was going to win. These guys get paid to be professionals, and would be laughed at by their peers if all they did was tote the company line with their picks and picked their former team every week.

Steelgal
01-21-2011, 10:18 AM
I think he's doing it as added motivation. Cowher has picked the Steelers almost every game this year and did last week. He's trying to look 'biased' and probably knows how the Steelers seem to perform better when they're the 'underdogs'.

RuthlessBurgher
01-21-2011, 11:58 AM
More than anyone else in the world, Bill Cowher knows about how well the Pittsburgh Steelers tend to play in AFC Championship games at home when everyone is picking them to win.

pittpete
01-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Awwhhh cmon, stop picking on Marty Jr. :lol:

Doyle37
01-21-2011, 02:08 PM

I also think he does this to get Pittsburgh fans to dislike him a bit...making it easier for him to come back and coach another team.

brothervad
01-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Some of you guys crack me up...

He isn't paid to be a Steeler schill

He is paid to provide analysis...he isn't always going to say the Steelers.

He can be wrong with his assessment, but he is looking at it without Black n Gold glasses.

I don't have a problem with him liking the Jets...and honestly almost everyone on this board thinks this will be a close game.

Close games can be lost by a bad bounce...

From what I read he believes that the Jets D will give us difficulties...I think that is a pretty accurate analysis.

It's really going to come down to guys like Heath and our 3rd and 4th WR's

And really on D--Troy has to make plays this week. He can't miss tackles on this Jets team.

So in the end...The Chin is just doing his job.

Oh and btw Crash...the more you type the dumber you appear...Cowher's legacy isn't going to be tarnished one bit.

And guess what? He will still get the big bucks and a job in the NFL (and power) whenever he wants.

brothervad

feltdizz
01-21-2011, 02:45 PM
More than anyone else in the world, Bill Cowher knows about how well the Pittsburgh Steelers tend to play in AFC Championship games at home when everyone is picking them to win.
:Clap

ScoreKeeper
01-21-2011, 03:43 PM
That was when Bill was the coach, and Bill ain't coaching.

Thank God Almighty. :Bow

hawaiiansteel
01-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Bill Cowher picks Jets, Hines Ward wants to prove him wrong

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 21, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/hineward.jpg?w=250

Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher doesn’t think his old team is going back to the Super Bowl.

Cowher said on WFAN that he thinks the Jets are going to win the AFC Championship Game on Sunday in Pittsburgh, where Cowher was the head coach for 15 years.

“The way the Jets are playing, I’m telling you this is going to be a game, I think it will be a classic game, and I like the Jets,” Cowher said. “They match up well. I think it’s going to be a tough ball game, but they certainly have all the ingredients to go to the Super Bowl.”

Steelers receiver Hines Ward said he looks forward to showing his old coach that he’s wrong.

“He can pick whoever he wants,” Ward said. “Coach Cowher’s not our coach anymore. Guess we have to prove him wrong, too.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... him-wrong/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/21/bill-cowher-picks-jets-hines-ward-wants-to-prove-him-wrong/)

NJ-STEELER
01-22-2011, 12:56 AM
Oh and btw Crash...the more you type the dumber you appear...Cowher's legacy isn't going to be tarnished one bit.

brothervad

actually, some of the media members are already talking about it. this topic came up on PTI and TK said if the steelers go on and win the title this year giving tomlin 2 titles in 4 years. cowher then just becomes "the guy between noll and tomlin"

phillyesq
01-22-2011, 10:00 AM
I think he's doing it as added motivation. Cowher has picked the Steelers almost every game this year and did last week. He's trying to look 'biased' and probably knows how the Steelers seem to perform better when they're the 'underdogs'.

I said to my wife earlier this week that Cowher would pick the Jets. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he did it, at least in part, to motivate the Steelers -- he knows from 2005 how they thrive on the underdog role.

Even if that isn't his motivation, picking against the Steelers generated a buzz, which I'm sure it was intended to do.