PDA

View Full Version : 4 game suspension: In the end ... overall good ... or bad?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-19-2011, 08:46 PM
At THIS point in the season, are your thoughts about it any different than they were on 9-1-10? On the surface, " :wft , how can a suspension of a franchise QB for a quarter of the season be anything but a horrible thing?".

But even looking past the 3-1 start, it might be argued that as a result of the suspension:

1) Ben grew... physically. It's been reported he worked on improving his throwing motion to make it more compact. Also, it was obvious to all of us that he was working out like a demon ... he came back much more solid-looking.

2) Ben grew ... emotionally. My opinion only, the 4 games were like his 40 days in the wilderness . He looked inside himself, and decided which we he was going to point his life, and committed to it.

3) Each player learned that THEY were important, and they learned the positives of personal responsibility on the field. "Can't worry about Ben, or anyone else ... gotta do MY job as right as I possibly can."

4) Ben became more accepted by his team - he took his "punishment" and came back like a man, not a whiny it's-not-fair-I-got-scr*wed byotch. Even guys that might not have respected him much before when he was "Bad Ben" would have noticed, and given him respect points for manning up.

Well, those are my thoughts ... I think that, as we go into the Conference Championship Game, things probably turned out better than if Ben had just been fined, or even possibly if he had just been suspended for 1 or 2 games.

How do you guys and gals see it?

RuthlessBurgher
01-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Oh, great...there you go setting off Crash's injustice radar again...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Oh, great...there you go setting off Crash's injustice radar again...

I think they will respond responsibly, or not at all!

papillon
01-19-2011, 11:14 PM
I don't think the suspension had as big an impact on Ben as the whole Millegville affair did. The possibility of losing everything or close to it, because a girl made accusations that could never be proved scared him into changing his behavior and rededicated himself to football.

The suspension probably p1ssed him off more than anything.

Pappy

Crash
01-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Bad. No one should be unable to make a living because they were accused of something they didn't do. They took away Ben's right to earn a living for a month basically because Pac Man Jones and Mike Vick are trash.

Crash
01-19-2011, 11:23 PM
And don't listen to Hines Ward. Ben was already accepted in his locker room the past several seasons prior to this. Team MVP and a two time captain from 2007-2009.

Hines was the only one barking about Ben in the locker room. I think Hines should worry about himself at this point.

papillon
01-19-2011, 11:23 PM
Bad. No one should be unable to make a living because they were accused of something they didn't do. They took away Ben's right to earn a living for a month basically because Pac Man Jones and Mike Vick are trash.

I wouldn't worry too much about Ben losing a month's salary, he'll be okay. But, still the suspension was bad for the team and I'm sure Ben felt bad for putting the team in a compromising position to start the season. Then they turned around and rallied and went 3-1. That had to make him feel good, because, it proved they had their quarterback's back until he returned.

Pappy

siss
01-20-2011, 02:33 PM
I don't the suspension is what did it. I think the whole situation was a wake up all for him.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/ ... hlisberger (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/columns/story?page=hotread19/BenRoethlisberger)
This is a good article.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Oh - I meant to add another possible positive to the suspension:

"Ben is now playing for the Superbowl, with only three-quarters of a season of hits on him, instead of the full 16 games."

Using the same logic as arguing against an 18-game season because of the increased risk of injuries ... who knows if Ben would have been hurt badly in any one of those four games. But, being suspended, there was zero chance of that.

I'll read that article later siss, thanks for posting!

feltdizz
01-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Ben would have had a broken neck if he played a full season this year.

Irongut
01-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Let's give it an off-season or two and see if the suspension served it's purpose. I don't see anyway the question can be answered yet.

grotonsteel
01-20-2011, 04:06 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about Ben losing a month's salary, he'll be okay. But, still the suspension was bad for the team and I'm sure Ben felt bad for putting the team in a compromising position to start the season. Then they turned around and rallied and went 3-1. That had to make him feel good, because, it proved they had their quarterback's back until he returned.

Pappy

:Agree

focosteeler
01-20-2011, 04:19 PM
I don't think the suspension had as big an impact on Ben as the whole Millegville affair did. The possibility of losing everything or close to it, because a girl made accusations that could never be proved scared him into changing his behavior and rededicated himself to football.

The suspension probably p1ssed him off more than anything.

Pappy

:Agree

i think the fact the he was suspended mightve pissed him off a little maybe give him some extra drive...but i think the millegville thing, not the suspension is what changed him

aggiebones
01-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Hey Crash, what about Colon's LONG comments about how Ben wasn't really apart of the locker room. Colon is one of his best friends on the team. How about you stop spouting BS lies non-stop here. Seriously, you make up more falsehoods than Goodell.

Colon QUOTES:

"It's weird and maybe awkward to say this," Colon said, "but everything that happened was a blessing in disguise. He saw the kind of person he was, and he was able to change his ways. (hmm, maybe Ben DID see a problem even if Crash didn't)
"I think, flat out, he's a better person now."
--
"I'd be a liar if I said he was open and forthcoming to everybody in the locker room before this," Colon said. "He wasn't. But nevertheless, he's changed his ways. He talks to everybody now. He's more open; he's more vocal. He gets it. He's becoming a great leader."
--
'It takes time to earn that trust back' (so he lost trust? How so if he was so wronged?)

Ward quotes:

Hes a winner, Ward said. Hes one ring behind (Tom) Brady and one above Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. Regardless of how he does it, hes still a Super Bowl quarterback. You cant knock him. (but I thought Ward always knocks him)
--
Is he unorthodox? Yes, but we know he does good things and does them well for us. I know every time were in the fourth quarter hes not going to quit. We always have a chance to win games. Ill take that over all of them. I wouldnt trade him for any other quarterback out there. (Ward wouldn't take any other QB over him)

Personally I'd take any other poster over Crash.

Irongut
01-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Oh boy, not a Hines quote. Diatribe of events coming in 3...2........1....

proudpittsburgher
01-20-2011, 05:24 PM
And don't listen to Hines Ward. Ben was already accepted in his locker room the past several seasons prior to this. Team MVP and a two time captain from 2007-2009.

Hines was the only one barking about Ben in the locker room. I think Hines should worry about himself at this point.

http://upload.drarok.com/uploads/8557-facepalm.jpg

Irongut
01-20-2011, 06:21 PM
It's always Hines' fault with Crash. Apparently, he's unable to read Colon's words.

Chris Mortenson has also reported Ben was not very popular within his own lockerroom and that he was known as one of the last players to show up and first to leave the building after practice.

Crash
01-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Chris Mortenson has also reported Ben was not very popular within his own lockerroom and that he was known as one of the last players to show up and first to leave the building after practice.

Because Jim Wexell said that, um, 6 years ago?

Chris Mortensen also blasted fans who said Vick was going to be charged and Mort insisted he wasn't.

Obviously he was right.

Irongut
01-20-2011, 07:14 PM

Because Jim Wexell said that, um, 6 years ago?

Chris Mortensen also blasted fans who said Vick was going to be charged and Mort insisted he wasn't.

Obviously he was right.
Chris said it a lot more lately than 6 years.

The topic is not Vick. Focus, focus!

sd steel
01-20-2011, 07:33 PM

Colon said in an article today that Hines observation was correct.

Oh sorry didn't realize the article was posted. Crush wrong again...go figure.

Steelgal
01-20-2011, 07:38 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think the suspension should have been handled by the Rooney's. When Goodell did it, it's raised far more questions about his lack of consistency in the suspensions/discipline he's given out. No one else has gotton a 4 game suspension when NOT being convicted of a crime. Even those who have been convicted have gotton off easier than Ben. If the Rooney's had moral issues with Ben's behavior, they should have taken the action.

In the long run, it appears that the suspension has had a positive effect on Ben. He came into training camp in better shape and seemed more focused. During the suspension he was working out with a qb coach, I think, as well.

In an article I read today, can't remember where, even Willie Colon said that Ben's behavior has changed and he's much more approachable and speaks to everyone now. He's pretty much a totally different guy in the locker room. He also has seemed to take a different approach with the media.

While Ben put himself in an awful position, I can't begrudge him for it. When you're given that much money, fame, and have women pretty much doing anything to get to you, it can't be easy to always do the right thing. There's just as many women out there with NO morals, who provoke/tease guys like Ben making it very hard to do the right thing. This chick from GA was wearing a DTF nametag :shock: Guys, especially athletes, have huge egos and think they won't get caught or they are entitled to certain things. Is it wrong??? Yes, but it's reality.

As a girl and long-time Steeler fan, I'm glad #7 is still our quarterback and I NEVER wanted him traded!!!!

sd steel
01-20-2011, 07:41 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think the suspension should have been handled by the Rooney's. When Goodell did it, it's raised far more questions about his lack of consistency in the suspensions/discipline he's given out. No one else has gotton a 4 game suspension when NOT being convicted of a crime. Even those who have been convicted have gotton off easier than Ben. If the Rooney's had moral issues with Ben's behavior, they should have taken the action.

In the long run, it appears that the suspension has had a positive effect on Ben. He came into training camp in better shape and seemed more focused. During the suspension he was working out with a qb coach, I think, as well.

In an article I read today, can't remember where, even Willie Colon said that Ben's behavior has changed and he's much more approachable and speaks to everyone now. He's pretty much a totally different guy in the locker room. He also has seemed to take a different approach with the media.

While Ben put himself in an awful position, I can't begrudge him for it. When you're given that much money, fame, and have women pretty much doing anything to get to you, it can't be easy to always do the right thing. There's just as many women out there with NO morals, who provoke/tease guys like Ben making it very hard to do the right thing. This chick from GA was wearing a DTF nametag :shock: Guys, especially athletes, have huge egos and think they won't get caught or they are entitled to certain things. Is it wrong??? Yes, but it's reality.

As a girl and long-time Steeler fan, I'm glad #7 is still our quarterback and I NEVER wanted him traded!!!!
I heard Crush might be in the market for a girlfriend, and you sound like you might fit the bill. :tt1

Crash
01-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Jim Wexell also wrote, in print, that he voted Ben for the "Chief Award" in 2007.

But I thought Ben didn't deal with the media until now?

sd steel
01-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Jim Wexell also wrote, in print, that he voted Ben for the "Chief Award" in 2007.

But I thought Ben didn't deal with the media until now?

I bet ya it was hines' fault...that bastard!!

Steelgal
01-20-2011, 07:54 PM

I heard Crush might be in the market for a girlfriend, and you sound like you might fit the bill. :tt1

Wow, exactly what did I do to deserve that? Give an opinion that's different than yours? It's obvious you can't stand Crash, which I could care less, but to bring me into it in the way is just WRONG :HeadBanger

sd steel
01-20-2011, 08:03 PM

Wow, exactly what did I do to deserve that? Give an opinion that's different than yours? It's obvious you can't stand Crash, which I could care less, but to bring me into it in the way is just WRONG :HeadBanger
I'm just teasing...Crush likes his women a little heavier and hairier than you. In fact he likes them with beards, he wants a woman who looks like Ben. :lol:

Just kidding...I think??

sd steel
01-20-2011, 08:05 PM
And for the record I don't mind Crush, he is the straw that stirs the drink yaknow.

Plus he used to help me find preseason games on the satellite dish back before NFLN. He is just getting a little more bitchy with age. :lol:

aggiebones
01-20-2011, 08:49 PM
So Crash, you just skip posts that are counter to your usual diatribe?
I posted Colon and Wards recent comments. You don't seem at all interest in what Colon had to say, why is that?
Is it because you have a personal vendetta against Ward? Ah, yes.

NorthCoast
01-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Ben would have had a broken neck if he played a full season this year.

I was going to say the same thing feltdizz. With the beating Ben has taken in the last half of the season, no way he would still be in the game. Damn, is there anything he hasn't broken this season? Say what you want about Favre, but it is truly amazing his longevity without a major injury from the brutal game. Ben seems to have a very high pain threshold....playing with a broken nose......oweeeee!!!!

Crash
01-20-2011, 08:55 PM
So Crash, you just skip posts that are counter to your usual diatribe?
I posted Colon and Wards recent comments. You don't seem at all interest in what Colon had to say, why is that?
Is it because you have a personal vendetta against Ward? Ah, yes.

And what happened when Colon got to to know Ben?

You show me a QB who isn't arrogant? I'll show you a QB that doesn't win.

Ward's a punk. He's the ringleader of all this crap.

Sugar
01-20-2011, 09:38 PM
I think the good thing about the suspension was that it gave Ben less wear and tear on his body. Thats four less games of large men not running into him at full speed. In that sense, good came of it.

That said, it was the wrong thing to do. IMO, it's wrong to suspend anyone based on allegations. IF Ben was a jerk, and I'm not convinced he was, there's no crime in that, at least nothing worth hitting a guy in the pocketbook for. I can see a little fine perhaps for buying shots for the underage girls, but that's about all.

Irongut
01-20-2011, 10:57 PM

You could care less or couldn't care less?

Crash
01-20-2011, 11:00 PM
The suspension was garbage. What the media wants Goodell gives them.

He doesn't care about the well-being of players or his league, he cares about being liked.

Irongut
01-20-2011, 11:09 PM
The suspension was garbage. What the media wants Goodell gives them.

He doesn't care about the well-being of players or his league, he cares about being liked.

The Rooney's wanted the suspension as much, if not more, than Goodell. They were undoubtedly completely behind it or would have fought it along with Ben.

aggiebones
01-20-2011, 11:09 PM
No Crash, Colon's comments were about the Ben before Ga and the one after Ga.

And Ward is very complimentary of Ben, while both are leaders of the offense.

Crash
01-21-2011, 12:15 AM

When Ward apologizes for saying the suspension of an innocent man was justified? You let me know.

Until then? His PR crap means nothing.

sd steel
01-21-2011, 12:24 AM

When Ward apologizes for saying the suspension of an innocent man was justified? You let me know.

I need to hear Ben say the suspension wasn't justified first. And if he really did nothing wrong why is every article and report even out of Ben's mouth say he is a changed man, even his dad commented on how they really didn't recognize the personality and Ben has said "he hated the old Big Ben". If he was such a good guy and he is getting such a bad rap, why the need to change himself?

Crash
01-21-2011, 12:27 AM
I need to hear Ben say the suspension wasn't justified first.

Ben, per an interview with ESPN before he came back, said he begged Goodell not to suspend him, up to the point where he offered to play the first six weeks....FOR FREE!

Does that sound like someone who "accepted" the punishment?

Irongut
01-21-2011, 12:38 AM

Ben, per an interview with ESPN before he came back, said he begged Goodell not to suspend him, up to the point where he offered to play the first six weeks....FOR FREE!

You seem to have had a glitch when you responded to him as much of the questions he asked were deleted.

Perhaps you can try again?

fordfixer
01-21-2011, 12:38 AM

Why would Ward apologize, if he believes what he said is true?

Crash
01-21-2011, 12:41 AM
And if he really did nothing wrong why is every article and report even out of Ben's mouth say he is a changed man, even his dad commented on how they really didn't recognize the personality and Ben has said "he hated the old Big Ben". If he was such a good guy and he is getting such a bad rap, why the need to change himself?

Being a jerk isn't a crime. Terry Bradshaw was a jerk too.

Ben's not the ogre people want to portray him to be.

Just have to do your own reading and see what he has done off the field for others since we drafted him.

Irongut
01-21-2011, 12:44 AM
And if he really did nothing wrong why is every article and report even out of Ben's mouth say he is a changed man, even his dad commented on how they really didn't recognize the personality and Ben has said "he hated the old Big Ben". If he was such a good guy and he is getting such a bad rap, why the need to change himself?

Just have to do your own reading and see what he has done off the field for others since we drafted him.

But Aaron Rodgers, who has done much more, doesn't deserve the same treatment?

The Crash hypocrisy. 1970 - present and no stop in sight. :nono

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-21-2011, 12:46 AM
Am I allowed to ban these guys from a thread, if I started it?

Irongut
01-21-2011, 12:47 AM
Am I allowed to ban these guys from a thread, if I started it?

I love how you keep posting about how you don't like our posts.

SAS = HYPOCRITE!!!!!! :loser

Crash
01-21-2011, 12:52 AM

BOTH Rodgers and Ben have done numerous amounts of charity work since they were drafted.

The Ben bashers act like what Ben is continuing to do now, he hasn't done before.

And that's a joke. Ben and Rodgers are a lot alike in that regard. They do things, and don't need the camera's rolling to do so.

Irongut
01-21-2011, 12:54 AM

BOTH Rodgers and Ben have done numerous amounts of charity work since they were drafted.

The Ben bashers act like what Ben is continuing to do now, he hasn't done before.

And that's a joke. Ben and Rodgers are a lot alike in that regard. They do things, and don't need the camera's rolling to do so.

Rodgers has run circles around Ben in that area yet you bashed him for the same reason you bitch about Ben being bashed. Say it with me, DOUBLE STANDARD.

Crash
01-21-2011, 12:56 AM
Rodgers has run circles around Ben in that area yet you bashed him for the same reason you bitch about Ben being bashed. Say it with me, DOUBLE STANDARD.

Um, no. I bashed people for not treating Rodgers the same.

Just like Mark Sanchez. Where are the articles about his arrest for sexual assault?

sd steel
01-21-2011, 12:56 AM

So you are agreeing Ben might have been a jerk?

I don't need to read anything, I have nothing to prove.

Crash
01-21-2011, 01:00 AM

I'm saying that Ben, like most athletes, has probably had bad days out in public.

Some days they just want to be left alone.

Which is why Troy Polamalu has at times, picked up the tabs for an entire restaurant, as a thank you for simply allowing him to eat a meal with his wife in peace.

sd steel
01-21-2011, 01:05 AM

I'm saying that Ben, like most athletes, has probably had bad days out in public.

Some days they just want to be left alone.

Which is why Troy Polamalu has at times, picked up the tabs for an entire restaurant, as a thank you for simply allowing him to eat a meal with his wife in peace.

Well I think I am finally seeing some personal growth on your part. I will check back tomorrow to see if we can continue this session, but I think we have made alot of progress today! :tt1

aggiebones
01-21-2011, 12:55 PM

Actually that just means he wanted to play. If he was willing to play for free, then he accepted the punishment of fines for 6 weeks. He will never admit ANYTHING in public due to litigation issues. But you know this and try to pretend Ben is innocent due to lack of criminal charges. Doesn't matter to me.
I like how he is blaming Ward because he didn't say he was innocent. Frankly, Ward probably KNOWS what he did. While Crash knows NOTHING, per usual.

Ward is a team leader, VOTED EVERY YEAR recently. So I think Crash is ignorant on more of his Ward issues. The team CLEARLY values him.
And obviously Ben and Ward know each other are important to the other one. I don't know or care if they are 'friends.' They don't EVER fight on the sidelines, like MANY other WR/QB combos around the league and that's all that's important.
What about Bettis and Cowher???
They also threw Ben 'under the bus' on air. But Cowher is in Ben's personal circle of trust advisors. Ben and Bus were very close.

So your hangups about Wards few vaguely negative random comments about Ben against 50 positive quotes about Ben, CLEARLY is more about Ward stealing your woman. Nothing else could have triggered your vile hatred towards him. Though he likely only kept her for the night. Question is, did you go back her after?

feltdizz
01-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Damn... Hines stealing Crashes girl makes perfect sense...It's probably the solid proof he has been holding onto for 5 years.

When Hines makes a play do you die a little on the inside? You HATE Ward like he is a Raven.

proudpittsburgher
01-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Hey gang . . . did yinz guys hear we was playin in the AFC Championship game this weekend? Happy times indeed. :)

Northern_Blitz
01-21-2011, 01:36 PM

The Rooney's were only allowed to give him 4 games. It was reported that they asked the league to look into it because the league could give suspensions of more than 4 games.

IMO the way the suspension was structured was a pretty good PR move by the league (if you accept that they had to suspend him). There was too much coverage to let him get away with nothing, IMO. So, they give him 6 with the possibility of reducing it. Then it becomes a story when it was reduced to 4 games and the media narative becomes "Big Ben working on being a better human being", not "Big Ben accused of rape twice in two years". The way the situation was handled had a built in means for Ben to start winning the PR battle and he took hold of the opportunity.

Thankfully, the rest of the team pulled together and went 3-1 (could have been 4-0) without him.

As for the suspension helping, I think the rediculous fines for tackling have had more of an impact on the "us against the world" mentality that always seems to get this team motivated.

Crash
01-21-2011, 01:41 PM
The Rooney's were only allowed to give him 4 games. It was reported that they asked the league to look into it because the league could give suspensions of more than 4 games.

That is flat out inaccurate. The ROONEY's were AFRAID, that it was going to be 8-10 games. And that was the primary reason they traded for Leftwich.

Irongut
01-21-2011, 02:29 PM

That is flat out inaccurate. The ROONEY's were AFRAID, that it was going to be 8-10 games. And that was the primary reason they traded for Leftwich.

There is no way the Rooney's were not behind or at least in agreement with the suspension.

brothervad
01-21-2011, 03:41 PM
It depends on how you look at it...

I think regardless of how you perceive the whole debacle...Ben has gotten closer to his family and had that "Boy I gotta change things up moment" that many of us get in our lives...So from a personal standpoint for Ben, perhaps it was a good thing.

From an X's and O's standpoint I think it's a mixed bag.

I think from a standpoint of reps and getting on the same page with our young WR's the suspension delayed that growth (ESP) if you will and while I think we are seeing returns later in the season...I think we would've been seeing these returns in week 14 not necessarily week 18.

From Ben being able to work on mechanics...well that is a good thing.

Overall though I would say it would have been nice to have Ben working with both the veteran and rookies to get on the same page (there appeared to be some rust with regards to reads btw the WR and QB) but they have appeared to obtain that at the best time during the playoffs.

brothervad

Crash
01-21-2011, 03:44 PM
There is no way the Rooney's were not behind or at least in agreement with the suspension.

Not 4 games. I think based on what II stated before anything came official from Goodell that he and Ben's people agreed on two games. The Steelers also requested to Goodell to allow them to handle the punishment themselves. Goodell refused.

Irongut
01-21-2011, 03:58 PM

Not 4 games. I think based on what II stated before anything came official from Goodell that he and Ben's people agreed on two games. The Steelers also requested to Goodell to allow them to handle the punishment themselves. Goodell refused.
I don't buy any of that. If the Rooney's were not behind it, they would have allowed and wanted Ben and the Players Union to fight it. You know damn well the players union wanted it fought. Something stopped them. My bet Ben himself via the Rooney's.

There is no way the PU wanted to set this type of precedent.

Crash
01-21-2011, 04:22 PM
I do not believe they were behind 4 games. I just don't. Just based on what II said in regards to the meetings he had with Ben himself.

Ben agrees to two games. But Goodell gets involved and makes it 6. If Ben and his people fight it, Goodell leaves it at six.