PDA

View Full Version : Santonio: Jets winning SB would be slap in Steelers' face

hawaiiansteel
01-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Jan 19, 2011

Santonio Holmes: Jets winning SB would be slap in Steelers' face

New York Jets WR Santonio Holmes says there's nothing personal about this weekend's AFC Championship Game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, with whom he won a Super Bowl MVP award in 2009 before being traded in April.

He says the grudge-match went down in December, when the Jets earned a 22-17 Week 15 victory in Pittsburgh.

Yet in comments Wednesday, Holmes appeared to still harbor frustration over a trade that came in the wake of a lawsuit filed by a woman who alleged Holmes threw a glass at her in a nightclub in March.

"The personal game is out the way," Holmes said. "I got a chance to beat them the first time around. This time it means everything. This game is about getting to the Super Bowl. I don't care about the Steelers right now... If we win the Super Bowl, then everything is personal. That's a slap right back in those guys' face for trading me. But right now, its not a focus of mine."

Asked if he thought he was treated unfairly by the Steelers, Holmes said the trade was a learning experience.

"I don't know," he said. "I had to learn the business aspect of this game which entitles things like this to happen. Things like this happen to big-time players."

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/the-huddle/2011/01/19/santoniox-inset-community.jpg

Holmes added that the key to beating the Steelers this time around would be limiting turnovers and getting the ball to New York's playmakers, specifically 'The Flight Boys.' That's what Holmes calls the trio of Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery and himself, a group that has combined for 20 catches and 293 yards in two playoff games.

Jets coach Rex Ryan, conservative in his comments Wednesday, said games like this are why he wanted Holmes to be a Jet.

"Is it added excitement to him? I don't know if there could possibly be any more energy," Ryan said of Holmes' homecoming. "We're playing for the AFC Championship. One of the reasons we brought 'Ton in is for times like this. AFC Championship time is 'Ton time."

WR/KR/QB Brad Smith, who Holmes called a member of the Flight Boys' 'Secret Service', returned to practice Wednesday but was limited with a groin injury. He is expected to play but there has been no official word from the Jets either way.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... ers-face/1 (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/01/santonio-holmes-jets-winning-sb-would-be-slap-in-steelers-face/1)

Chadman
01-19-2011, 09:44 PM
Had to learn the 'business aspect of the game'?

You mean- it's bad business to continually get yourself in brushes with the law? Who'd have thunk that??

Well, thankfully Santonio has learned that sort of thing is 'bad business'. Would hate to think he wasn't aware of that...

Crash
01-19-2011, 09:47 PM
'Tone was traded because of his Tweets, saying he wouldn't keep him, and telling fans to go kill themselves.

Had he just taken his 4 game rip and shut up? He stays.

Chadman
01-19-2011, 09:50 PM
'Tone was traded because of his Tweets, saying he wouldn't keep him, and telling fans to go kill themselves.

Had he just taken his 4 game rip and shut up? He stays.

That was the straw that broke the camels back- not the 'reason' he got traded. Had that been offense #1- he'd have stayed.

Scarletfire1970
01-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Yeah, he went a little nutty after the bar incident with his tweets.

Vindrow
01-19-2011, 09:59 PM
I love how he said he got the chance to beat the Steelers when all he had was 6 receptions for 40 yards and not TD's...yup he really laid down some whup ass on the Steelers.

eniparadoxgma
01-19-2011, 10:02 PM
I hope he keeps talking.

hawaiiansteel
01-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Ike Taylor would hit Santonio Holmes

ESPNNewYork.com
January 20, 2011

They might be friends, but that won't stop Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor from crushing New York Jets receiver Santonio Holmes if he gets the chance.

"I'm not going to hesitate to lay him out," Taylor said, according to the New York Post. "No question at all. You know why? Because he ain't going to hesitate to crack on me if he gets a chance."

Taylor and Holmes are former teammates in Pittsburgh and still hang out together, but that won't factor in the AFC Championship Game at Heinz Field on Sunday.

"I love him and that's my boy, but when we get between those white lines, it's a whole different deal," Taylor said to the Post.

"I'm going to try to be as disrespectful as possible once we get between those white lines. Friendship doesn't enter into it then."

Taylor has been with the Steelers since 2003. Holmes played there from 2006 until being dealt to the Jets after offseason problems. He served a four-game suspension to start the year but had 52 catches for 746 yards and six touchdowns in the regular season.

Holmes and Taylor work out at Disney's Wide World of Sports in Orlando, Fla., during the offseason. During the season, however, they don't talk football.

"I talked to Tone [on Tuesday], but it was what we always talk about," Taylor said, according to the Post. " 'What you doing?' Playing PlayStation, what you doing? 'Playing PlayStation.' No [on-field] matchups or anything like that. We just rap."

There will be no pleasantries Sunday.

"It all changes between those white lines," Taylor told the Post.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/ ... id=6041185 (http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=6041185)

steelfin
01-20-2011, 07:49 PM
IMO...SH was traded as a PR move to help relieve pressure from the off-field problems of both Ben and Holmes.

A combination of pot smoking, tweeting, naked pictures and finally Ben's issues put the final nail in the Holmes coffin.

I am not entirely certain he would have been traded if Ben did not run into the troubles that he did.

With that being said, are we better off without Holmes? Tough call...with Holmes, Wallace, Ward and the other young buck receivers, we would have significant fire power.

The question is, would Wallace have had the break out year that he did if Holmes was still on the team? I don't think he would have gotten the opportunities to do what he has done without Holmes.

I personally like the upside of Wallace over Holmes and his "potential" looming 1 year suspension...It's only a matter of time... :stirpot

As far as Holmes saying this game is not personal...his actions / words say otherwise....It is still personal to him. He is no longer in the Black and Gold and that hurts him...but its his own fault. He is no longer a Steeler and in my book he can go F*CK himself....

Here's to his friend Ike Taylor knocking his A$$ out on Sunday!!!!

SF

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2

SidSmythe
01-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Slap in the face??
So the Jets would win the Superbowl b/c they have him???

How about if the Steelers beat the Jets Sunday, Santonio admits the Steelers are a better team without him?? PUNK!

hawaiiansteel
01-21-2011, 02:49 AM
Holmes could never last with Steelers

By MIKE ZEISBERGER, TORONTO SUN
Last Updated: January 20, 2011 8:09pm

PITTSBURGH — In the highly respected world of the Rooney family, the glory of a magnificent stat sheet will never outweigh the humiliation of an embarrassing rap sheet.

Never.

Santonio Holmes should have known that.

Instead, he learned the hard way.

Just two years ago, Holmes turned in one of the most spectacular plays in Super Bowl history, heroically stretching on his tippy-toes to snatch a Ben Roethlisberger dart for the winning touchdown against the Arizona Cardinals to give the Pittsburgh Steelers their record sixth Lombardi Trophy.

None of that mattered last spring.

Not when the quarterback and receiver, part of one of the most memorable hookups the NFL had ever seen, had just dragged the good name of the Rooneys’ beloved Steelers through the slimy western Pennsylvania muck.

Roethlisberger’s legal issues for his alleged inappropriate actions involving a young lady in a Georgia college bar had the Steelers kicking tires on a possible trade.

This was a two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback. No matter.

This is not Philadelphia, where a guy with a history of dog fighting like Michael Vick is provided a stage for a comeback.

You do not soil the rep of the Rooney Steelers.

Slapped with a four-game suspension from the league, Roethlisberger needed to change his entire way of life in order to remain a Steeler. And, even then, the organization considered giving him the boot.

Which, in the end, is what they eventually did to Holmes.

And with good reason.

How long did he think the Rooneys were going to put up with his act?

How long did he figure their patience would last after giving him second chance after second chance after second chance?

A highly regarded first- round pick out of Ohio State in 2006, Holmes was in trouble before he even strapped on the fabled black Steelers helmet for his first regular-season game.

Just a few months after the Steelers drafted him, Holmes was accused of disorderly conduct in Miami and domestic violence assault on the mother of his daughter in Columbus, Ohio. While charges in both cases were dropped, negative publicity continued to linger around Holmes like a bad stench.

There was the incident in 2008 when he was cited for marijuana possession, causing coach Mike Tomlin to suspend him for a game against the New York Giants.

There was his involvement in an alleged Orlando nightclub brouhaha in March 2010 when he was accused of chucking a drink at the 21-year-old woman.

There was the knowledge that commissioner Roger Goodell was going to suspend him for the first four games of the 2010 season for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

The Steelers have never come out and said which of Holmes’ many indiscretions finally pushed them over the edge. We’re guessing it was a combination of them all.

Finally, in April, with Steelers management knowing Holmes would be a free agent at the end of the season, he was shipped to the New York Jets.

For a fifth-round pick, no less.

You get the impression a rusty blocking sled would have sufficed.

That’s how bad the Rooneys appeared to want Holmes out.

On Sunday, he and Big Ben, less than two years removed from smearing their fingers all over the Lombardi Trophy, will reconnect in the AFC championship game between the Steelers and Jets at Heinz Field.

Holmes says there will be nothing “personal” about this matchup. He said that business was taken care of when the Jets beat the Steelers 22-17 last month.

Should the Jets go on to win the championship, however, well, that’s a different story.

“If we win the Super Bowl, then everything is personal,” Holmes said. “That’s a slap right back in those guys’ face for trading me.”

Not quite, Santonio. Because, win or lose, you were always on your way out of town.

The Rooneys believe in stability, having employed just three coaches since 1970. And they believe in representing the Steelers logo with pride, not shame.

An image that, in the end, Santonio Holmes could never fulfill.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/footba ... 70061.html (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/football/2011/01/20/16970061.html)

Crash
01-21-2011, 02:57 AM
This Canuck should stick to hockey. Too many contradictions in that piece.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-21-2011, 11:40 AM
I don't care about the Steelers right now... If we win the Super Bowl, then everything is personal. That's a slap right back in those guys' face for trading me. But right now, its not a focus of mine."

Way to tell us in advance that you show no class.

If we win on Sunday then it is nothing personal, but if they win then he will rub it in the Steelers' faces because he is insulted.

hawaiiansteel
01-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Mike Wallace, the Steelers speedy wide receiver, makes Pittsburgh forget about Santonio Holmes

BY KEVIN ARMSTRONG
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, January 22nd 2011, 6:13 PM

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2011/01/23/alg_mike_wallace_runs.jpg

Gojkovich/Getty
Mike Wallace has shown an ability to make plays over the middle as evidenced by his 55-yard catch-and-run against the Raiders.

PITTSBURGH - One afternoon when Mike Wallace, the Steelers receiver, was in elementary school, he received a report card with two failing grades for the marking period. His mother, Sonjia, was already at work, managing the night shift at the Metropolitan Developmental Center, a mental health facility in New Orleans, so his sister Quanna, a stickler 10 years his elder, answered the phone when he called with his grades.

"Wait 'til I get there," she said, before driving to pick him up in her Grand Prix.

Upon seeing him, she took him back to their one-story home in Algiers, an urban neighborhood on the West Bank of the Mississippi River, and unleashed "a few licks."

"She got me right," Wallace says, shrugging. "From then on I just ran."

Fifteen years later, Wallace, 24, is the NFL's fastest growing threat. He clocked a 4.28 in the 40-yard dash at the draft combine in 2009, led the league in yards per catch (19.4) as a rookie and streaked downfield for 60 catches this season, totaling 1,257 yards and 10 touchdowns. Sunday night he will be expected to stretch the Jets' secondary at Heinz Field in the AFC title game, re-establishing himself as an elite vertical option after being limited to 20 yards on three receptions last week against the Ravens.

"When I first saw him I was like, 'Is that an animal out there?'" Steelers wideout Antwaan Randle-El says. "What else moves like that? A gazelle?"

The evolution of Wallace from a wideout with long strides and quick-strike capabilities to a nuanced receiver is ongoing. With increased responsibility in 2010 due after Santonio Holmes was traded to the Jets last April, Wallace, a former Holmes protege, welcomed the challenge, meeting with new coach Scottie Montgomery the morning after the trade. Wallace was the first receiver to report that day.

"There's only one language I speak," Montgomery told him. "That's the language of production. Don't speak anything else to me."

Counterparts are increasingly awestruck in detailing the speed. The Jets receiving corps saw him frequently while studying game film of the AFC North, the division the Jets were paired with this season, as Wallace became a familiar blur across the screen.

"Dude is unreal," Jets receiver Jerricho Cotchery says, punctuating his point with spaceship sound effects to describe Wallace's pace.

"I've seen a lot of fast guys, but he can fly. Santonio came in and all he could say was, 'The boy can roll.'"

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z1BoAbr3Fn (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/01/22/2011-01-22_mike_wallace_the_steelers_speedy_wide_receiver_ makes_pittsburgh_forget_about_san.html#ixzz1BoAbr3 Fn)

DukieBoy
01-22-2011, 10:37 PM
I don't care about the Steelers right now... If we win the Super Bowl, then everything is personal. That's a slap right back in those guys' face for trading me. But right now, its not a focus of mine."

Way to tell us in advance that you show no class.

If we win on Sunday then it is nothing personal, but if they win then he will rub it in the Steelers' faces because he is insulted.
And that's as far as it goes with Santonio --- it's all about him, far as he's concerned. Well, his self-centered ways cost him the high honor of being a part of what is represented in this video, a long career in the tradition of Swann, Stallworth, Ward, Ham, Lambert, Bradshaw, Greene, Shell, Blount, and so many other greats. Instead, he will be a small note in the great Steeler tradition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox584X3BjH4&fea ture=player_embedded

DukieBoy
01-23-2011, 11:54 PM
Didn't happen Santonio. You could have been part of something bigger than yourself here. You will be a "foot"note in Steeler history. Enjoy the offseason. HOpe you find a team willing to pay you all the money you think you are worth.

grotonsteel
01-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Didn't happen Santonio. You could have been part of something bigger than yourself here. You will be a "foot"note in Steeler history. Enjoy the offseason. HOpe you find a team willing to pay you all the money you think you are worth.

Well Said :Clap

hawaiiansteel
01-24-2011, 01:35 AM
I'll give Santonio props for his 45-yard TD reception, but he could have stayed with the Steelers and been in yet another Super Bowl.

oh well Smokey, I know you usually only get slapped by women in bars but how did you like that slap in the face today from the Steelers? :tt2

http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/holmes.jpg

Anshonae Mills

Discipline of Steel
01-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Well hes right, it would have been. Maybe next year Stonio. Wonder who you will be playing for...

So are you baked yet? You have many months now to explore your personal interests.

hawaiiansteel
01-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Sanstonio has decided to just go ahead and blame the Jets' OC for the loss, otherwise Tone might actually have to take some responsibility himself.

oh well, time to wake n bake...

Holmes upset with Jets offensive coordinator

By BRIAN LEWIS
Last Updated: 10:29 AM, January 24, 2011

PITTSBURGH -- Santonio Holmes came back to Pittsburgh with a chance for revenge, to lead his new club past his old one en route to the Super Bowl.

But after his Jets' 24-19 AFC Championship loss, the only thing he was left with was anger -- seething over the loss, and seeming even angrier at offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

Gang Green fell behind 24-3 in the first half, before Holmes' 45-yard touchdown catch sparked a huge second-half rally that fell short. But he'd been on the bench early in the game during the Jets' slow start. When asked about it, a visibly-vexed Holmes deflected all questions to Schottenheimer.

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2011/01/24/sports/photos_stories/holmes--300x300.jpg

FLYIN' AWAY: Santonio Holmes celebrates his 45-yard touchdown catch during the third quarter of the Jets' 24-19 loss to the Steelers in the AFC Championship.

"As you can see, I watched from the sideline the first couple plays, so I don't know," said Holmes.

When asked why he was on the sidelines and not in the game, Holmes replied: "Ask Coach Schottenheimer what was the reason behind that.

"Ask Coach Schottenheimer. I just had to go with the gameplan. That's the way things were called, and that's what I had to do."

When asked whether the coaching staff had given him any indication in advance that he wouldn't be in the starting lineup, Holmes said: "Ask Coach Schottenheimer what happened. He'll explain everything to you. I don't have an answer for that."

As an impending free agent, it begs the question of whether Holmes will be back. He spent four tempestuous seasons in Pittsburgh, known for making both big plays and big trouble.

Holmes, who had admitted to selling drugs in his youth in Florida, was arrested in October 2008 for possession of marijuana, and sued this March by a woman who claims he threw a glass at her in a nightclub.

Despite having caught the game-winning touchdown with 35 seconds left in the Steelers' 2008 Super Bowl victory over the Cardinals, and being named MVP of the game, the Steelers finally tired of him and dealt him to the Jets for a fifth-round pick.

After serving a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's drug policy, Holmes continued his big-play ways for the Jets, and he did again last night -- although it wasn't enough.

He was held without a reception in the first half. But in the third quarter he made a 16-yard first-down grab, and followed that with a 45-yard touchdown to cut the deficit to 24-10. A quick move off the line and stiff-arm sent cornerback Ike Taylor to the ground, and he beat safety Ryan Clark for a play-action touchdown. But it wasn't enough.

"I just lost a game to go to the Super Bowl. I don't have any emotions about the Steelers," said Holmes. "You can't come in someone's house and give them 24 points. That's ridiculous. That gave them the opportunity to play better defense, be calm and sit back in zone, double-team people . . . and that's what they did.

"We've got to start out playing better football, come out ready to fight. You can't come out slow, three-and-out, turn the ball over, giving these guys opportunities. We didn't play like Jets, like we were supposed to."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/goi ... z1ByVFfIXX (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/going_holmes_E6ZYoxmtArK6K7RVtfAN8M#ixzz1ByVFfIXX)

Oviedo
01-24-2011, 02:36 PM
I'll give Santonio props for his 45-yard TD reception, but he could have stayed with the Steelers and been in yet another Super Bowl.

oh well Smokey, I know you usually only get slapped by women in bars but how did you like that slap in the face today from the Steelers? :tt2

http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/holmes.jpg

Anshonae Mills

Stupidio caught the pass because Ike slipped. Ike owned him all night.

Wish him nothing but the worse going forward so he can be held up as an example of wasting God given talent because of your own selfish desires. It's about the meaningful contribution he will ever make to society.

TallyStiller
01-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Stonio = Randy Moss with less talent. Period. Somebody like Daniel Snyder will be stupid enough to give him the money he's asking for and undermine for a few more years any possible chance his franchise has for success, all the while wondering why he can't buy himself a title.

Djfan
01-24-2011, 05:01 PM
He'll be a Raider.

Oviedo
01-24-2011, 05:08 PM
He'll be a Raider.

I could actually see the Bumgals or Stains looking at him since they are both desperate for a WR. Other possibilities are Chicago and the Rams who need help at WR.

Here's a wildcard for you-----Ravens, since Mason has lost it and the Boldin experiment has clearly failed. Do you know how sweet it would be to dash his play off hopes year after year!!!!!

I don't see the Jets keeping him. They have too many FA issues.

Sugar
01-24-2011, 05:14 PM
It's a little sad to read this when I think of the day Holmes was drafted. All rookies are excited to hear their name on draft day, but he was different. Holmes had been a Steeler fan his whole life and was pumped to contribute to the defending champs.

I think of the MNF piece a few years ago when they did a special on Hines and Holmes and how Hines had taught Santonio to be more than just a WR, but a complete football player.

Now it has come to this. Alas...

Irongut
01-24-2011, 07:09 PM
My favorite was when he caught his first pass, in the second half, and celebrated. They were down 21 at the time IIRC.

What a moron. As I said when we traded him, "good riddance."

Discipline of Steel
01-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Since we won that game, the tables are turned and it is a huge slap in Stonios face if the Steelers win the Super Bowl without him. That will be a clear indication he has already reached the apex of his career and is on a steep downside. Continuing selfishness will only hasten his departure from the league. In a way, it is kind of sad but we all follow our own course and he was only destined for temporary greatness.