PDA

View Full Version : anyone else superstitious?

JTP53609
01-19-2011, 10:03 AM
I watch just about every game with my Dad and just about every year we do things to change the Steeler mojo. For example, against Buffalo I said "Dad, we need to switch seats now", we did and the next play Stevie Wallace drops the ball and minutes later we win.

The very next week, we are in a fight with the Rats, and I say again "Dad, lets switch seats", so of course we do and the next play Flacco is stripped by Polamalu.

Then of course last week after half time, I got all my bad urine out and switched seats with my Dad again and sure enough, well you know the end result.

I have always been superstitious my whole life, from playing sports to watching them, I believe that what I do does not really have a direct impact, but it is strange how it works when I change it up.

Also, when good things are happening I do not go to the bathroom because the stuff that is in my body is good to keep, but as soon as negatives start occuring I encourage all to dispose what they can!!

Anyone else do things similar...

Iron Shiek
01-19-2011, 10:07 AM
I used to do stuff like that. I'd wear the same undershirt and jersey every week and I'd sit in the same spot.

I've pretty much gone away from anything like that, but its a great study in human psyche!

Just do what you did last week and get us the win! :tt2

flippy
01-19-2011, 10:09 AM
I avoid Heinz Field now because we lose when I go to games.

I absolutely believe these games come down to me.

JTP53609
01-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Flippy, I think the same thing about going to PNC Park, but they lose regardless, I also got a real nice Crosby jersey two years ago for Christmas, I was so excited, but I have worn it at least 10 times and they have lost EVERY GAME!!, so oh well it just sits in my closet, ho hum

proudpittsburgher
01-19-2011, 10:34 AM
I am pathetically helpless when it comes to this stuff . . .

I bought my only road white jersey for the 2006 season and wore it for most of the first half of the season. That jersey never gets worn again anywhere near gamedays.

I have been drinking out of the same Steelers coffee mug every Gameday morning. No exceptions. When I am out of town, I even go as far as to pack it and drink from it. Last Saturday, for instance, I worked during the morning and got home around 11 a.m. I decided to brew a cup of coffeee and eat an omlette to eat a late breakfast for lunch just so I could drink coffee from the cup.

During halftime, I was really quiet and kind of depressed with the path the game was taking. I flipped around and watched a little bit of poker (high stakes I believe). I went back to the game when it started, and when the Steelers started rolling, decided it might be best to go back to poker to check in during comercial breaks so I didn;t break any kind of good mojo I might have been creating.

Mrs. Proudpittsburgher and I have started a tradition, of sorts, :Boobs to, um, get very acquainted the night before a game. Works like a charm on many levels. :)

I have gotten away from wearing my troy jersey, sometimes this season opting for the hoodie instead, but I really don't want to chance it for the playoffs, so the Troy jersey goes on come gametime.

Pretty much spend most of gametime texting back and forth with my buddy in Pittsburgh. Couple hundred posts every gameday.

That's about it, but I used to have a lot more so I think I am getting better. Look, I understand this is really stupid, but hey, why take chances?

pittpete
01-19-2011, 10:42 AM
I have to keep my TV volume on 43
But Im not superstitious :wink:

AngryAsian
01-19-2011, 11:30 AM

I have the exact opposite affect on our beloved Steelers:

4 games in Jacksonville, 2 games at Heinz and 1 game at Bunghole stadium... all wins with my Asian MOJO in house. If someone wants to play for my air fair and ticket.... it will be a big sacrifice on my behalf, but I'll go to Heinz field this Sunday. :lol:

AkronSteel
01-19-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm pretty superstitious.....during the season I always make some kind of beef dish on Sunday. I always wear the same jersey and I never shave on the weekends. When I go to Heinz I always carry exactly 57 dollars into the stadium with me. Just a few of my quirky activities that I have been doing for a long time!!!

snarky
01-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Yes, I am superstitious as hell about the Steelers and it goes all the way back to SB IX when I was a kid (which was the first Steeler game I really watched). My entire family wouldn't move from where we were once something good happened. This went on for the rest of the seventies and the demise of the Steeler dynasty coincided with my parents divorce. LOL

In fact the only SB the Steelers have lost is the one I haven't watched with a family member.

So up here in Maine we don't get many Steeler games on the teevee. I think my GF and I have only watched four together this season. The last one we watched before Saturday was the game in Baltimore. At halftime on Saturday, I thought back to where we had been sitting for the previous game and I made her sit in the exact same spot and I did the same. She kept telling me she wanted to take a nap but I told her she had to sit up straight - no naps until after the game.

By the way, I was down at my Dad's house for XLIII. After Fitz scored he left the room and started working on something in the garage. As the Steelers started marching down the field I thought to myself "I better just let him stay out there." After Holmes caught the ball I ran out and told him the Steelers had scored a touchdown. He said something like "Good. I guess I better stay out here until the game is over."

feltdizz
01-19-2011, 12:07 PM
I like to think I'm not superstitious but I have watched every playoff game at home since the 2005 season and we are undefeated.

feltdizz
01-19-2011, 12:09 PM
She kept telling me she wanted to take a nap but I told her she had to sit up straight - no naps until after the game.

Hilarious!

D Rock
01-19-2011, 12:41 PM
as I posted in the 'what jersey are you rockin' thread...I can't wear anything Steelers on gameday.

I opt for generic black and gold shirts and my Pens jersey when needed.

Example: First half last week I had on a Steelers hat and jersey
Second half....a North Allegheny shirt and Pens jersey over top

pfelix73
01-19-2011, 02:39 PM
I always take the same old Terrible Towel to the games, even though I have like 5 of them.

I figure that the Towel I take has "wins" in it, so I continue to take the same one....

Look, it worked! We beat the Rats with it!

LOL

:tt1

RuthlessBurgher
01-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Last Saturday, on our drive in for the game, we stopped for lunch at Rachel's in Mercer about an hour north of Pittsburgh. The waitress gave us the daily specials, and one of them was a crab cake sandwich. I said, "What?!?! We are playing Baltimore today and their special is CRAB CAKES???" My dad said, "Yup...that what I'm getting too. I going to devour it." I thought it was a strange choice.

After the game, with my voice shot and my throat craving some sort of cold, liquid soothing agent, we stopped at a 7-11 and I noticed that they had a purple Slushee. So that's what I got.

This week, I'll have to make sure he gets a N.Y. Strip Steak or N.Y. style Cheesecake or something like that before the game, and I'll look for a green Slushee afterward.

siss
01-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Mrs. Proudpittsburgher and I have started a tradition, of sorts, to, um, get very acquainted the night before a game. Works like a charm on many levels.

Mr. Siss and I go at halftime. I swear it works!

NC Steeler Fan
01-19-2011, 03:12 PM
I am superstitious to a fault.

This weekend the same lucky Steelers hat and #86 throwback jersey will be worn yet again by me. And, I have to watch the game on either tv in the living room or kitchen FROM the kitchen. If I go into the living room something bad will happen.

Also, I CANNOT watch the patsies play, period.

I stayed away from viewing the tv during the whole jets/patsie game this weekend and every time I went to look at the game, the patsies would do something good. So, if I stayed away but could only hear it, then it seemed the jets kept them on their heels.

I am convinced that when we drop one, it's my fault.... :shock:

costanza2k1
01-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Mrs. Proudpittsburgher and I have started a tradition, of sorts, to, um, get very acquainted the night before a game. Works like a charm on many levels.

Classic!
:lol:

ikestops85
01-19-2011, 05:28 PM

Mrs. Ike and I go at it on the 30 second timeouts. :Boobs

dsmith
01-19-2011, 06:19 PM

Mrs. Ike and I go at it on the 30 second timeouts. :Boobs

What do you do for the other 20 seconds?

I have little things. I only wear jerseys on game days. I wear a white #7 on away games and a black #51 on home games.

Last Saturday, I noticed that everytime I played angry birds on my phone the Steelers played better. I played a lot of angry birds in the second half.

siss
01-19-2011, 08:14 PM

Classic!
:lol:
We call our son the halftime baby!

fordfixer
01-19-2011, 09:47 PM

I have the exact opposite affect on our beloved Steelers:

4 games in Jacksonville, 2 games at Heinz and 1 game at Bunghole stadium... all wins with my Asian MOJO in house. If someone wants to play for my air fair and ticket.... it will be a big sacrifice on my behalf, but I'll go to Heinz field this Sunday. :lol:

Here's my :2c Hey it's a start :tt1

Chadman
01-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Only get superstitious if there's writing on the wall....

Wolfhound45
01-19-2011, 10:18 PM
anyone else superstitious?

Nope. Just watch and cheer on the Steelers. That is pretty much it.

:Steel