PDA

View Full Version : Brady sniffing ammonia on sidelines

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-19-2011, 02:39 AM
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011 ... mode=print (http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/18/tom-brady-says-he-was-sniffing-ammonia/?pagemode=print)

The Fifth Down - The New York Times N.F.L. Blog
January 18, 2011, 7:00 am
Tom Brady Says He Was Sniffing Ammonia
By TONI MONKOVIC

Several readers of our Jets-Patriots live blog wanted to know what Tom Brady was sniffing from his Gatorade cup before the game.

In a radio interview Monday, Brady confirmed that it was ammonia, or smelling salts, saying: ďWe all do it. Itís kind of a receiver and quarterback thing.Ē

The Florida Times-Union published an article in 2005 detailing widespread use of ammonia among N.F.L. players as a way to clear nasal passages and as a pick-me-up:

Players say in the majority of instances they are used as a performance enhancer, providing a powerful punch to propel them through rough practices and brutal games. Once the rush wears off, players open a new cartridge and take another whiff.

The practice is not against N.F.L. rules, but doctors were quoted in the article as saying that frequent use could be a potential health risk. A spokesman for a company that made the ammonia capsules was quoted as saying: ďDonít they know that using them that way is not how they are supposed to be used? That is not recommended.Ē

The game drew a huge TV rating, and the sight of Brady sniffing ammonia may not have been the greatest example for young players, some of whom could be tempted to emulate him.

3:02 p.m. | Updated The N.F.L. spokesman Greg Aiello responded in an e-mail: ďIt is not prohibited by our policies. The use of smelling salts by athletes has taken place for decades. We will continue to monitor it with our medical advisors.Ē...

You looked like you had red, watery eyes, dressed to the max, and you were seen sniffing an ammonia capsule. If you had the flu, would you say?

I didnít have the flu. I felt fine. Iíve been dressing warmer as the seasonís gone on. I felt fine.

What about the ammonia?

We all do it. Itís kind of a receiver and quarterback thing.

* Copyright 2011 The New York Times Company

[youtube:3ue4b8yx]pJCs-u0Tq_k[/youtube:3ue4b8yx]

RuthlessBurgher
01-19-2011, 02:53 AM
The game drew a huge TV rating, and the sight of Brady sniffing ammonia may not have been the greatest example for young players, some of whom could be tempted to emulate him.

Why would they be tempted to emulate a dude with a Justin Bieber haircut that has now lost this last 3 consecutive playoff games?

Oh yeah, that supermodel thing. Never mind.

:Boobs

skyhawk
01-19-2011, 03:04 AM
Performance enhancing drugs? Ban it. :stirpot

Crash
01-19-2011, 03:26 AM
We have ammonia and feet sniffing.

What next?

jj28west
01-19-2011, 06:45 AM
I could swear Moss & Brady were doing snuff before that game against the Giants where they went for the undefeated regular season record.

Years ago players in the late 70's are admitting to using inhalers for coke during games. Whats next for TB? A rolled up sock and some spray paint?

Discipline of Steel
01-19-2011, 07:40 AM
Speaking chemistry.... Ammonia is a strong base, on the opposite end of the spectrum from an acid. As such, it can dissolve tissue it comes into contact with. If he does it too much, he can get nosebleeds that wont go away but i guess now he doesnt have to worry about that.

ANYTHING to get an edge, isnt that right Tom?

M Go Blow!!

SidSmythe
01-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Whats next for TB? A rolled up sock and some spray paint?

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/BHargrove1218/reddiwhip.gif

DukieBoy
01-19-2011, 08:34 AM
We have ammonia and feet sniffing.

What next?
Foot-shaped ammonia snifters, of course.

Iron Shiek
01-19-2011, 09:22 AM
I saw one of our players walking to the sideline pregame carrying a helmet and a packet that looked like smelling salts (I can't remember if it was Kiesel or not). I think its a widespread practice.

flippy
01-19-2011, 09:42 AM
At least he didn't litter on the field like some punters. Keep our beach clean.

Ghost
01-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Much ado about nothing. I guarantee there are a lot of Steelers doing it.

RuthlessBurgher
01-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Speaking chemistry.... Ammonia is a strong base, on the opposite end of the spectrum from an acid.

Now it makes sense why Bill Belichick would throw acid on Tom's face (Comedy Central's Onion SportsDome last night)...he was just trying to neutralize the strong base. :P

http://o.onionstatic.com/images/articles/article/18815/brady_acid_640x360_jpg_125x83_crop-smart_upscale_q85.jpg

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/video/jealous-bill-belichick-throws-acid-in-tom-bradys-f,18815/

And speaking of Comedy Central Sports News, did anyone see Roethlisberger get caught in the Acme Rape Trap on the season premiere of Tosh.0 last week (the one featuring Antoine Dodson of "Hide Your Wife, Hide Your Kids, Hide Your Husbands" fame?)

[youtube:2q61304h]XL3xHSrPCWg[/youtube:2q61304h]

AngryAsian
01-19-2011, 11:43 AM
You guys have it all wrong... It was a piece of Goodell's azzhole... Brady's use to sniffing that, and can't get enough of it.

Djfan
01-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Someone put some bleach in it, PLEASE!!

MeetJoeGreene
01-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Maybe the Patriots have advanced video nano-technology where Tom is actually ingesting the opponents tapes and signals.

During the Jets game, however, he got them mixed up and took the Red Pill.

Nah. It was probably just estrogen supplements.

grotonsteel
01-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Someone put some bleach in it, PLEASE!!

:D

fordfixer
01-19-2011, 08:34 PM
I saw one of our players walking to the sideline pregame carrying a helmet and a packet that looked like smelling salts (I can't remember if it was Kiesel or not). I think its a widespread practice.

I think it was Farrior

jj28west
01-19-2011, 08:39 PM
You guys have it all wrong... It was a piece of Goodell's azzhole... Brady's use to sniffing that, and can't get enough of it.
:D

Dee Dub
01-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Did any of you guys ever play football?? This is really a non-issue/story if you ask me.

Football players using ammonia is pretty common. It enhances the senses. Or so some think.

Irongut
01-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Did any of you guys ever play football?? This is really a non-issue/story if you ask me.

Football players using ammonia is pretty common. It enhances the senses. Or so some think.

Yep, it's very common. No story here except those that feel a need to bash all QB's not named Ben. I still can't comprehend why all other QB's have to suck for Ben to be good?

Crash
01-20-2011, 12:21 AM
Brady's career is a farce. 2-3 in the playoffs since they got caught cheating.

When he wins 2 rings CLEAN, then talk.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-20-2011, 12:39 AM
Brady's career is a farce. 2-3 in the playoffs since they got caught cheating.

When he wins 2 rings CLEAN, then talk.

$$$$
He's the equivalent of the whiny little frat boy who cheated his way through college...
without the benefit of knowing what the other team's going to do, it's a little more difficult, isn't it, Marcia?

Brady, Jan 2004 Post AFCC Game: "It's easy when you know the answers to the test."