PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger on pace for Canton

eniparadoxgma
01-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Roethlisberger on pace for Canton

Len Pasquarelli

Updated Jan 18, 2011 5:21 PM ET

This is strictly cart-before-the-horse stuff, because Ben Roethlisberger must still divine a way to do something two of his more famous contemporaries could not the past two weeks, and defeat Coach Blowhard and the New York Jets, before meriting an invitation to Super Bowl XLV.

But, just for the sake of argument, let's say that Roethlisberger emerges victorious on Sunday evening in the AFC Championship Game. And then, moving the hypothesis forward another giant step, that Roethlisberger exits Cowboys Stadium on the night of Feb. 6 with his hands around a third Vince Lombardi Trophy.

Notwithstanding the unknown degree of his dalliance in Milledgeville, Ga., that earned him a four-game suspension at the outset of this season — and the Hall of Fame bylaws, which arrived by FedEx the other day, reminded that selectors are not to contemplate any such off-field indiscretions, either alleged or proven — does a third Super Bowl victory earn Roethlisberger a bust in the Canton, Ohio, shrine?

Given that Roethlisberger is merely 28-years-old, and by even conservative metrics, still likely has another seven or so productive seasons to compile his resume, it's a debate that won't bubble up until this selector is well into further dotage. The same bylaws dictate, after all, a player must be retired for at least five years until his accomplishments can be considered, and that probably puts us around 2023 or so until any esteemed Hall of Fame board can discuss Roethlisberger's career.

Even my estimable Hall of Fame colleague and longtime good friend, Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the city's representative on the August HOF board of selectors, won't have to fret about preparing the presentation argument.

Then again, how much of an argument would it really be?

You wouldn't have to have Iron City beer flowing through your veins, or have a Terrible Towel atop the mantel, to make a pretty convincing case.

A third Super Bowl title — go ahead, dream a little bit, fellow 'Burgh natives — would catapult Roethlisberger into elite company.

Very elite, if, indeed, there can be those kinds of super-lofty categories.

After his first Super Bowl victory a year ago, Drew Brees of New Orleans noted that he hoped to add to his championship bounty, but acknowledged: "I'm not sure that anything will ever top this." Imagine winning three of the things. It never gets old and, to the contrary, it makes your memory and your legacy forever young.

Not counting the late George Blanda, who was relegated to beloved clutch kicker late in his career — and who many fans forget once threw a football, not booted it, for a living — there are 17 modern-era quarterbacks in the Hall of Fame. All but six of them own at least one Super Bowl ring. Only three quarterbacks from the Super Bowl Era — Dan Fouts, Sonny Jurgensen and Warren Moon — never started in the championship game. The 11 modern-day quarterbacks enshrined in Canton, have an aggregate 23 Super Bowl titles.

"It's certainly not (a prerequisite), but it kind of validates you," said Dan Marino, who, ironically, does not have a Super Bowl ring.

Only one quarterback with multiple Super Bowl-winning starts, Jim Plunkett of the Raiders, is not in the Hall of Fame.

Were Roethlisberger to win a third, just two other quarterbacks with strong ties to Western Pennsylvania, Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw, would have more. And isn't the old football saw that the only statistic that really matters for a quarterback is the number of championships he wins?

The intriguing thing about Roethlisberger, who had to rebuild a whole lot more than just his throwing motion (as a recent newspaper article detailed) during a long and trying offseason, is that despite playing the game's most conspicuous position, he isn't even the face of one of the NFL's most storied franchises. He'd require about another foot's worth of hair hanging out the back of his helmet to rate that status. Which pretty much pigeonholes him in the same niche Bradshaw once occupied.

And, his statistics aside, Roethlisberger is rarely mentioned with, say, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, as one of the NFL's great passers. But he has ranked among the top five passers, in terms of quarterback rating, in five of seven seasons. And he already owns twice as many Super Bowl rings as Manning and is just one shy of Brady.

The consensus is that Brady, who hasn't exactly distinguished himself in postseason play with his playoff performances the past two seasons, could retire now and waltz into the Hall of Fame. But Brady hasn't won a Super Bowl title since the '04 season. And Big Ben could yet claim a third championship in the six seasons since then.

Roethlisberger is only 28, or two years younger than Bradshaw was when he won his third Super Bowl. He's also five years younger than Brady, the presumptive Hall-of-Fame shoo-in. Roethlisberger is 9-2 in the playoffs, two more postseason victories than the combined total of the three other quarterbacks still playing. And as has been well documented by my hometown media in recent days, his teammates believe in him even more than ever at this time of year.

In a recent column by another 'Burgh-buddy, Ron Cook, Roethlisberger suggested he still has "a lot of fingers left" for more Super Bowl rings. Adding another Super Bowl trinket to the collection, we're guessing, will pretty much earn Roethlisberger a Hall of Fame bust.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-19-2011, 01:42 AM
Some local San Antonio FoxSports AM radio haters this morning had to admit the same thing: a 3rd ring for Ben makes him a lock for the HOF.

Interesting in that article: Plunkett has two rings? I didn't know that. And not in the HOF? WTH not??

Crash
01-19-2011, 02:47 AM
Because Plunkett bounced all over the league and his regular season stats suck.

If the Steelers win Sunday Ben is a lock for Canton.

EVERY eligible QB who has started at least 3 SBs, regardless of rings won, is in.

Chadman
01-19-2011, 03:01 AM
Ben's career has been great.

But it could be scary-good yet. There's absolutely no reason not to believe he couldn't add another 1, 2 or even 3 rings if this organisation continues to produce the way it does.

At 28, and with a pinky finger wrapped around that trophy for a 3rd time....just wow.

Just as well it's a 'running team', huh Crash?

Crash
01-19-2011, 03:16 AM
We are more of a running team now than we ever were in 2004 and 2005. People are too worried about how much we run or pass. Me? It's always been about WHEN.

Ben will at least win one more at some point. Maybe two. But three more? In the modern free agent era? That's hard to think it's possible. especially with so many good QBs now.

In the 70's it was Bradshaw, Staubauch, Fouts, Griese, Ken Anderson, Stabler to an extent, and then everyone else.

We have some age issues at key spots, and all teams will have a down season or two, you can't avoid it when you win for so long.

skyhawk
01-19-2011, 03:42 AM
We are more of a running team now than we ever were in 2004 and 2005. People are too worried about how much we run or pass. Me? It's always been about WHEN.

Ben will at least win one more at some point. Maybe two. But three more? In the modern free agent era? That's hard to think it's possible. especially with so many good QBs now.

In the 70's it was Bradshaw, Staubauch, Fouts, Griese, Ken Anderson, Stabler to an extent, and then everyone else.

We have some age issues at key spots, and all teams will have a down season or two, you can't avoid it when you win for so long.

Good points. But each of Ben's 2 SB teams (and this year's team) all have had issues.

Chachi
01-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Please.....one ring at a time people.

I would like to think Ben can accomplish the only record he has ever publicly said mattered to him.....5 rings, but, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Sh!t can happen. IIRC, Brady had his third ring by age 27. Haven't seen him get #4 yet, let alone #5 or #6.

We are in a great position with the young players we have who are performing at league high standards....Woodley, Timmons, Wallace, Hood, Pouncey, and hopefully we can add to that (though it is a bit soon) Sanders and Brown. And these players are proving even with our new-ish coaching staff we can still pick the right players in the draft which we will need as was stated earlier, we do have some age issues at certain positions.

The problem we have, which is a great problem to have and any team would love to have it, is we just may have too much of a good thing. When you have so many players on your team which are(or could be) top 3-5 in their position......it can be tough being able to resign all of those players whose market price will only continue to rise.

And don't get me started on what a season long furlough will do if the labor deal doesn't get done.....

I have all the faith in the world we will continue to march onto ring #4 and at least #5, but, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Baby steps......one ring at a time.

proudpittsburgher
01-19-2011, 09:19 AM

I would like to think Ben can accomplish the only record he has ever publicly said mattered to him.....5 rings, but, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Sh!t can happen. IIRC, Brady had his third ring by age 27. Haven't seen him get #4 yet, let alone #5 or #6.

We are in a great position with the young players we have who are performing at league high standards....Woodley, Timmons, Wallace, Hood, Pouncey, and hopefully we can add to that (though it is a bit soon) Sanders and Brown. And these players are proving even with our new-ish coaching staff we can still pick the right players in the draft which we will need as was stated earlier, we do have some age issues at certain positions.

The problem we have, which is a great problem to have and any team would love to have it, is we just may have too much of a good thing. When you have so many players on your team which are(or could be) top 3-5 in their position......it can be tough being able to resign all of those players whose market price will only continue to rise.

And don't get me started on what a season long furlough will do if the labor deal doesn't get done.....

I have all the faith in the world we will continue to march onto ring #4 and at least #5, but, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Everything you say here is correct, but this is really fun having this conversation, isn't it? :tt1

Chadman
01-19-2011, 09:44 AM

No matter what level we speculate at, pretty certain it'll have zero effect on Ben & the Steelers organisation. It's just like- no matter how much effort we put into our mock drafts- we still won't get a say on draft day.

So, if it makes you feel better, go ahead & speculate....just imagine if Ben could play until he's 50! How many rings would he get then??

flippy
01-19-2011, 10:13 AM
He's a lock already imho.

JTP53609
01-19-2011, 10:26 AM
how many fourth qtr comebacks does he have, and does elway still have the most?, I think ben is one of the most clutch qb's of all time and he can only get better too, that too will get him in, I would say first ballot if he wins another super bowl

ikestops85
01-19-2011, 11:03 AM
I would rather discuss this in 2 weeks and 4 days when it is a reality. I'd also like to discuss whether Ben would be asked to go to Disney World if he were the game's MVP. Do you think squeaky clean Disney would ask reputation tarnished Ben? Hopefully that will be a discussion point starting next Monday.

Oviedo
01-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Ben will have to do alot more than win another Super Bowl to get over the off field stigma he has created for himself.

Keep in mind too that the HoF voters do not typically embrace Steelers players unless the evidence is so overwhelming they are forced to vote for them. There is till a very strong anti-steelers bias because it is perceived there are too many Steelers in the HoF now. These voters will not hesitate to seize the opportunity to keep Ben out because of his off field issues.

Bettis will be an interesting test case this year. If he doesn't make it in his first year of eligibility then I think that spells trouble for guys like Hines and Ben. I think the only Steeler who will be a first time lock to get in will be Troy. Everyone else I think will have to struggle to get support.

SteelerNation1
01-19-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote of the day!

brothervad
01-19-2011, 02:46 PM
I guess we all love to speculate...

I will say this if the favorites hold serve this Sunday (Packers and Steelers)

This will be by far the toughest opponent that the Steelers under Ben's reign will face.

IMO Seattle was average on both sides of the ball, Arizona was very good on offense but average on defense

Greenbay is very good to great on both sides of the ball. This will be an epic challenge if it happens.

brothervad

aggiebones
01-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Ovie, no one said Ben was a first ballot lock. I may have missed it if they did. Plenty of players have off field drama. Another SB and he walks in VERY early if not first ballot, especially if he behaves going forward...AND is very media friendly, which he appears to be now.
Bettis is not necessarily a first ballot guy. Yes, he no.5 rushing all-time and no.5 rushing TDs, etc. BUT CMartin is ahead of him and eligible now. Faulk is also eligible and a top dual threat. I doubt they put in more than one RB at a time. Bettis won his only SB from the bench. I love Bussy, but he may take 3 years to get in, hopefully only 2.
There are alot of great talents that played alone and get looked over. I never agreed with the sentiment that they are trying to keep Steelers out. And maybe there is some bias, but no more than certain other teams suffer.

The question is how many other Steelers get to Canton with another SB?
Ward likely gets a boost. Troy for sure, even if he retires early. Harrison? Hampton? Timmons if he continues to play well for another decade. 3 Super Bowls should get a few extra guys in. Some we may not even consider yet.

Crash
01-19-2011, 04:35 PM
I don't know if Bettis is a first ballot after his last 4 seasons.

If Curtis Martin isn't a first ballot, neither is Bettis.

BURGH86STEEL
01-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Ben will be a lock for the HOF if he can manage to help this team win the SB this season.

Another SB victory should help to push Troy, possibly Ward, and a couple other players into the HOF.

skyhawk
01-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Ben will have to do alot more than win another Super Bowl to get over the off field stigma he has created for himself.

Keep in mind too that the HoF voters do not typically embrace Steelers players unless the evidence is so overwhelming they are forced to vote for them. There is till a very strong anti-steelers bias because it is perceived there are too many Steelers in the HoF now. These voters will not hesitate to seize the opportunity to keep Ben out because of his off field issues.

Bettis will be an interesting test case this year. If he doesn't make it in his first year of eligibility then I think that spells trouble for guys like Hines and Ben. I think the only Steeler who will be a first time lock to get in will be Troy. Everyone else I think will have to struggle to get support.

This. :Clap

The voters really don't want any more Steelers in the HOF. And look at the way Ben is treated by the media now. It's gonna be hard unless he wins a third.

The same goes for Hines. He is a possible HOFer but he is also a Steeler and not a glorified fantasy football god like the receivers of today.

Seriously though, Bettis, Ward, and Roethlisberger are THE most physical players ever at their positions. That's saying alot. Good enough for me.

skyhawk
01-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Ben will be a lock for the HOF if he can manage to help this team win the SB this season.

Another SB victory should help to push Troy, possibly Ward, and a couple other players into the HOF.

Yes, yes. Another SB win would push Ward, Ben, and Troy into the HOF!

Starlifter
01-19-2011, 05:23 PM
interesting thing about plunkett is both seasons he won the superbowl, he started the year as the backup. The raiders were always looking for the next ken stabler and kept plunkett on as insurance. the guy was money though whenever he got the chance. crazy 'ol Al calling the shots again!!!

Crash
01-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Again, regardless of rings, EVERY QB who has started 3 SBs and eligible, is in.

Friggin' Bob Griese is in.

snarky
01-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Ben's career playoff QB rating better than both Manning and Brady who are supposedly the best of this era.

hawaiiansteel
01-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Roethlisberger Shakes Off Lack Of Respect

By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Jan 19, 2011

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/89/896833.jpg

Ben Roethlisberger won't admit it, but his teammates do: The lack of respect he's receiving -- in spite of all-time elite numbers -- is driving him once again.

PITTSBURGH – With Ben Roethlisberger enjoying a breakout season of sorts, many within the Steelers organization viewed these playoffs as a chance for their quarterback to get his due as one of the game’s elite.
The thinking behind the front lines a couple of weeks ago went something like this:

If the seeds hold true, Roethlisberger would have a chance to defeat Peyton Manning and then Tom Brady, the two quarterbacks considered the class of the league these days.

Alas, the New York Jets stole Roethlisberger’s thunder by taking that path themselves.

It set up an AFC Championship Game of physical defenses and alleged “game manager” type quarterbacks, and nothing makes Roethlisberger cringe more than the term “game manager.”

It came up when he was asked Wednesday to critique the development of Jets sophomore quarterback Mark Sanchez.

“He just makes plays,” Roethlisberger said. “People get on him a lot. It’s ‘run the ball and manage the game, Mark.’ No, to be a quarterback at that level, and do what he’s done, you don’t just manage a game. You play the game and do it at a high level, and that’s what he’s done.”

Sanchez must wear that label because he’s the rarity: a young quarterback in a big game. His coaches don’t ask much of him, nor should they. It’s how Roethlisberger was asked to play as a rookie in the 2004 AFC Championship Game and as a sophomore in the 2005 Super Bowl.

Problem is, Roethlisberger hasn’t been able to escape the “game manager” label, no matter how far from the truth it is these days.

One reporter saw through the words, saw the cringe on Roethlisberger’s face, and asked him Wednesday if it bothers him that he’s rarely listed with the game’s elite quarterbacks.

“No, it’s OK for me,” Roethlisberger said. “I know that I’m probably not ever going to win a league MVP, probably never going to win a passing title. But that’s not why I play the game. I just go out and try and win football games and try and win championships.”

But, still, Roethlisberger’s passing statistics are among the best of all-time. Here’s where Roethlisberger ranks in three of the most important passing categories:

* No. 8 all-time passer rating of 92.5 (just ahead of Joe Montana’s 92.3).

* No. 5 all-time yards per attempt of 8.04.

* No. 12 all-time completion percentage of 63.1 (just behind Montana’s 63.2).

Roethlisberger would never cite such numbers, nor would he ever admit that a lack of respect is driving him. But his top receiver will.

“Yeah, that’s probably what drives him,” said Hines Ward. “Look, all I care about is wins and losses. A quarterback who doesn’t have many more wins or Super Bowls, it really shouldn’t matter. The winning percentage speaks for itself. I doubt he gets caught up worrying about what people are saying about his style of play.”

Oh, right, the winning percentage. Well, Roethlisberger has that, too. He has the fourth best all-time winning percentage (90 or more starts) among quarterbacks in regular-season games. Roethlisberger is 69-29 for a .704 winning percentage.

He’s even better in the postseason when Roethlisberger is 9-2 with two championship wins. Only Bart Starr, at 9-1, has a better percentage among quarterbacks who’ve started 10 postseason games.

“He’s a winner,” Ward said. “He’s one ring behind (Tom) Brady and one above Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. Regardless of how he does it, he’s still a Super Bowl quarterback. You can’t knock him.

“Is he unorthodox? Yes, but we know he does good things and does them well for us. I know every time we’re in the fourth quarter he’s not going to quit. We always have a chance to win games. I’ll take that over all of them. I wouldn’t trade him for any other quarterback out there.”

http://pit.scout.com/2/1040939.html

Chadman
01-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Is he unorthodox? Yes, but we know he does good things and does them well for us. I know every time we’re in the fourth quarter he’s not going to quit. We always have a chance to win games. I’ll take that over all of them. I wouldn’t trade him for any other quarterback out there

Oh geez- there goes Hines, dissing his team mates again....wait until Crash gets a hold of this.... :stirpot

:D

papillon
01-19-2011, 10:38 PM
* No. 8 all-time passer rating of 92.5 (just ahead of Joe Montana’s 92.3).

* No. 5 all-time yards per attempt of 8.04.

* No. 12 all-time completion percentage of 63.1 (just behind Montana’s 63.2).

22,500 yards
144/86 TD to INT ratio
60-26 regular season
9-2 playoffs
2 Super Bowls

all that remains to be decided is if he goes in first ballot or he has to wait. One more Super Bowl and it's first ballot, unless, 25.1% of the voters are vindictive @ssclowns.

There really isn't a debate here only waiting for 5 years after Ben retires.

Pappy

Crash
01-19-2011, 11:11 PM
Is he unorthodox? Yes, but we know he does good things and does them well for us. I know every time we’re in the fourth quarter he’s not going to quit. We always have a chance to win games. I’ll take that over all of them. I wouldn’t trade him for any other quarterback out there

Oh geez- there goes Hines, dissing his team mates again....wait until Crash gets a hold of this.... :stirpot

:D

PR. Nothing else. When he apologizes for saying the suspension was justified you let me know.

Chadman
01-19-2011, 11:38 PM
Hahahaha.... :Clap :Bow

Gotta love your consistancy Crash. You can find the evil in Hines wherever it may hide..

Crash
01-19-2011, 11:57 PM
Hahahaha.... :Clap :Bow

Gotta love your consistancy Crash. You can find the evil in Hines wherever it may hide..

What's ironic about Hines' is there are PLENTY of stories over the years about his behavior, most of which occurred while married.

His bar has a VIP room. Hines and his friends did a thing called "dim the lights" and then he and his boys would invite the ladies up there.

I'm sure they weren't watching film or discussing the weather either.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-20-2011, 01:07 AM
Because Plunkett bounced all over the league and his regular season stats suck.

If the Steelers win Sunday Ben is a lock for Canton.

EVERY eligible QB who has started at least 3 SBs, regardless of rings won, is in.

I went and I looked some stuff up about Plunkett.

First of all, El Crypt Dude (Al Davis) just made a very passionate and rational pitch for Plunkett to get into the HOF - can be heard in the vid in the "Wow, just WOW ..." thread. of earlier today or yesterday.

Second of all, this (I have left some of the comments):

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/01/18/super-b ... -plunkett/ (http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/01/18/super-bowls-forgotten-heroes-plunkett/)

Super Bowl’s forgotten heroes: Plunkett
Adam Rank
By Adam Rank |

Published: January 18th, 2011 | Tags: Jim Plunkett, Al Davis, Bart Starr, Ben Roethlisberger, Bob Griese, Brett Favre, Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, Dan Pastorini, Desmond Howard, Jim Kelly, John Elway, Ken Stabler, Marcus Allen, Roger Staubach, Super Bowl's forgotten heroes, Terry Bradshaw, Tom Brady, Warren Moon

Quarterbacks — whether we like it or not — are judged by Super Bowl wins.

Dan Marino is known as the best quarterback to never win a Super Bowl. Dan Fouts, Jim Kelly and Warren Moon also wear a scarlet zero on their gold Hall of Fame jackets.

John Elway‘s career was not deemed complete until he he finally won the big one.

So why is former Raiders QB Jim Plunkett not celebrated as a two-time Super Bowl winner?

Al Davis certainly would like to know. The Raiders’ owner opened Hue Jackson‘s introductory press conference Tuesday by giving a plea for more recognition for Plunkett. Davis suggested that Plunkett did more than Elway (by virtue of Plunkett’s 1970 Heisman Trophy award while at Stanford) and pointed out that his guy won more titles than recently-retired QB Brett Favre.

And Davis did not even touch on his cultural impact as the only Hispanic quarterback to win a Super Bowl.

So that begs the question: Where is Plunkett’s recognition?

Critics will point out that Plunkett never threw for more than 3,000 yards in a season, although such numbers are skewed by the modern evolution of passing offenses and NFL seasons increasing from 14 to 16 games. Besides, that requirement certainly didn’t keep Dolphins QB Bob Griese from the Hall of Fame.

Too bad Plunkett hasn’t landed a sweet national broadcasting gig (although he does call Raiders preseason games locally).

Plunkett was not the game’s most illustrious quarterback. But he personified Davis’ mantra of “Just win, baby.”

Especially when it mattered the most — in the postseason.
Quarterback Playoff record Pct. Super Bowl titles
Bart Starr 9-1 .900 2
Ben Roethlisberger 9-2 .818 2
Jim Plunkett 8-2 .800 2
Tom Brady 14-4 .778 3
Terry Bradshaw 14-5 .737 4

Plunkett’s shining moment came in 1980.

The Raiders’ famed rough-and-tumble image was fostered by a vagabond cast that Davis was able to recycle from other teams and lead into greatness. None greater than Plunkett, who battled injuries in five seasons with the Patriots after being the top overall selection in 1971 and a forgettable two-year stint with the 49ers that followed.

Plunkett joined the Raiders in 1978 and toiled as a backup to Ken Stabler and, later, Dan Pastorini before taking over as the Raiders’ starter during the 1980 season. Plunkett won nine of 11 games and led the Raiders to the playoffs as a wild-card team. The Raiders knocked off the Oilers, Browns and Chargers before he engineered an upset of the Eagles in Super Bowl XV.

Plunkett threw for 261 yards and three touchdowns to win MVP honors. Not only were the Raiders the first wild-card team to win a Super Bowl, Plunkett joined Roger Staubach as the only player to win a Heisman Trophy and the Super Bowl MVP award (later joined by teammate Marcus Allen and the Packers’ Desmond Howard).

Plunkett, along with Allen, would lead the Raiders over the Redskins in Super Bowl XVIII, making Plunkett the only eligible quarterback to start and win multiple Super Bowls who is not enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Davis is right. When you look at the distinguished company he keeps, Plunkett does deserve more recognition for what he accomplished during his NFL career.

Posted in: Super Bowl | ShareThis

Guidelines: Fan feedback should be within the guidelines for the NFL community. These guidelines will be used to identify those comments that will be removed from display on the site. Please keep your comments relevant to the topic, not abusive or combatant towards other fans, and don’t share any personal details. Use the “Report” link to help keep the community at its best.

Comments may be no longer than 2000 characters and will post to the site shortly after submitting.
You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in | Register
Submit
89 Comments Sort By: Newest First | Oldest First | Most Recommended

adamrank
Adam Rank should have a vote in the Hall of Fame! Yeah, that's the ticket, I, errr, he would fix everything.
about 4 hours ago
Recommend Report
mickcavnar
Hey 49errider408 , There only forgettable to you because you most likely were born way after the great Raiders had already retired. Look.... the 49ers were terrible until Montana years....yeah they had a season here or there that they won a few games, but no one even cared about them. When the Raiders Moved to LA a lot of the Raider fans became pissed off and switched to niner fans and the timing was good for you fair weathered fans because thats when Montana and Walsh started their legacy. Had Montana and Walsh not been winning you sissys probably would have switched to LA Ram fans or something. Look.....I hate John Elway but the guy deserves to be in the HOF. Same with MANY MANY old Raiders.
about 4 hours ago
Recommend Report
mickcavnar
Hey Soxraiders12, I get what your saying about the Plunkett #'s but you know as well as I do its not about that. Its all B.S. who votes. Take all the voters and replace them with just football fans that watch the game for years, with various employment backgrounds, (not sportswriters or associates of employment with the NFL) and I bet you see great players throughout the NFL who are forgotten that would be in the HOF......
about 4 hours ago
Recommend Report
mickcavnar
Its idoits Sports writers like Paul Zimmerman who keep such great Raiders out of the HoF. He does not vote for them and will not lobby for them because Zimmerman obviously hated the traditional Raiders and Mystic. The Raiders most likely BLASTED whoever Zimmerman favored as "his" team back in the day. Have you ever heard him in an interview talk about the Raiders....its absurd! I know one Sports writer does not make or break the votes but this guy is a real Jerk. Again, its just another "who knows rule" like the "tuke rule" keeping the Great Raiders out. I Guess Politics plays a huge role in all aspects of life.
about 5 hours ago
Recommend Report
qb1819
Plunkett definetly needs to be mentioned for the HOF but most of his career he was a journeyman QB instead of a franchise QB at the time unlike Dan Fouts. This doesn't suprise me that a RAIDER is not in the HOF just ask Stabler, Branch, Brown, and Hayes.I'll give Plunkett one thing though If the Raiders motto is "Just Win Baby'' then he is the greatest raider QB ever.
about 5 hours ago
Recommend Report
s0calzb0y
Betcha that a lot of the Raider players, had they been on other teams, would be in the HOF. The HOF should be renamed the HOS - Hall of Shame. Many of these Raider players were on teams that defeated ones with players in the HOF. Not to take away from them, they were great players and I admired them, but at least be fair about this. As the article mentioned, he was one of the very few to win both the Heisman Trophy and the Super Bowl. For that alone, Plunkett deserves to be in the HOF.
about 6 hours ago

Last, for people like me who didn't know or remember much about Plunkett, this:
[youtube:1naksniy]NvjKK5rK5gw[/youtube:1naksniy]

I'd vote for him, seems like a nice story. Guess he suffered from the Curse of the Bambino (if that extends into football??)!