PDA

View Full Version : Trash Talk: Roethlisberger has nothing to lose

SteelCrazy
01-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Call him Ben Roethlisberger, wise man.

No, it's not a reference to the education the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback has acquired during his off-the-field life, which involved toppled motorcycles and topsy-turvy judgment in bars.

Rather, of the four quarterbacks remaining in the NFL playoffs, Roethlisberger is the only one without anything to prove. He's the one the other three should seek out for advice, since he has been there and done that. Twice.

Aaron Rodgers of the Green Bay Packers was spectacular in beating the Atlanta Falcons on Saturday. He shut up a lot of critics, and he put Brett Favre so far back in his rear-view mirror that you'd need Google maps to find him. But that was Atlanta. Rodgers still needs to beat the hated Chicago Bears and get to a Super Bowl to solidify his status as one of the best in the game.

Jay Cutler of the Bears still has many doubters, and understandably so. He always seems as if he's one inexplicable throw away from imploding and ruining his team's chances at victory. That's his reputation. But if Cutler beats the Packers in the NFC championship game, all that will vanish. He will be Jay Cutler, leader of men.

And Mark Sanchez played well in the New York Jets' upset of the New England Patriots. But in his case, it's all about decision-making, even moreso than for other quarterbacks. If he has plenty of time to think and fling, Sanchez is fine. If he doesn't, he overthrows, or delivers it to the wrong jersey. The Patriots didn't pressure him nearly as much as the Steelers will. If he can come up with another sharp effort in Pittsburgh, he'll step up in class.

Meanwhile, Roethlisberger already has two Super Bowl rings, so his status in the game is secure. And he's playing well again in this postseason.

He could conceivably take this weekend off, if he wanted to. He's earned it.

The same can't be said for the other three.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/41137078/ns/sports/

SteelAbility
01-19-2011, 12:01 AM
The Jets first beat Peyton, then Brady, the two you always hear that are put ahead of Ben. If the Steelers win, then Ben MUST ENTER THAT CONVERSATION (although, I think it will take 4 titles before the media swallows their pride), at the very least ahead of Manning and on-par with Brady.

drprwnap
01-19-2011, 12:47 PM

No, Ben CANNONT take this weekend off. What a stupid statement. :x

grotonsteel
01-19-2011, 12:53 PM

:Agree

Especially when he has a great chance to show he is the best in the business.

Winning against Jets will just cement his legacy. It will prove he is a better QB than Manning and Brady IMO.

ramblinjim
01-19-2011, 01:18 PM
I can't stand the bum but Brady*'s in pretty "rare air" with the three rings, Ben will probably need to retire with one more than Brady* in order to be considered on par with him. As far as Peyton Manning goes, I get that he's an excellent quarterback but he just isn't in the same league as Big Ben in the big games as far as this arm chair quarterback is concerned.

ramblinjim
01-19-2011, 01:19 PM
I can't stand the bum but Brady*'s in pretty "rare air" with the three rings, Ben will probably need to retire with one more than Brady* in order to be considered on par with him. As far as Peyton Manning goes, I get that he's an excellent quarterback but he just isn't in the same league as Big Ben in the big games as far as this arm chair quarterback is concerned.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-19-2011, 01:32 PM
I don't agree. As far as I am concerned, Brady's rings are tarnished. They cheated, and got caught cheating. They have a guy with a photographic memory on their staff sitting up there telling Bellicheat what is coming. Notice they haven't won a big game in the playoffs since they got caught cheating? People can downplay the cheating all they want, by saying other teams did it, etc.....but how many teams have a guy with a photographic memory on their staff that could watch video and match it up in the game?

SteelCrazy
01-19-2011, 01:32 PM
I can't stand the bum but Brady*'s in pretty "rare air" with the three rings, Ben will probably need to retire with one more than Brady* in order to be considered on par with him.

Ben could finish his career with 10 rings and would never be considered on Marsha's level in the media.

The Sodfather
01-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Nothing to lose my ass.

SteelCrazy
01-19-2011, 03:30 PM

I think what the author meant was he has won so many games in the playoffs that he could not play and still have a better record or just is better...IDK, maybe it was just a stupid statement...lol

Crash
01-19-2011, 04:37 PM

That's the best compliment yet. He's saying that Ben with two rings already has a legacy and the others do not.

Ben has a legacy. He wins #3? He's immortal like the others with 3 rings.