PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith Resuming Practice (Post Gazette)

SidSmythe
01-18-2011, 08:42 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11018/1118847-100.stm

Aaron Smith to practice with Steelers this weekTuesday, January 18, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Defensive end Aaron Smith, who has not practiced since tearing his triceps Oct. 24 in Miami, will return to practice this week for the Steelers, coach Mike Tomlin said today.

"Aaron Smith is going to practice this week. We'll see where that practice takes us," Tomlin said.

The coach said that even if Smith is deemed ready to go it would probably be on a limited basis in the AFC championship game Sunday against the Jets at Heinz Field.

"Snap count is probably going to be part of that discussion," Tomlin said, but that "it would be nice to add that tool to the toolbox."

Other than that, Tomlin said, "We're in great shape" as far as injured players.
Those most seriously injured are special teams player Will Allen (knee sprain) and starting cornerback Bryant McFadden (abdominal strain). Tomlin said both players will be limited in practice this week.
As for good news on players who had to leave the game Saturday against Baltimore, Tomlin said his two tackles, Jonathan Scott and Flozell Adams, are both okay and will be ready to go.
More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11018/11 ... z1BR9voplW (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11018/1118847-100.stm#ixzz1BR9voplW)

Crash
01-18-2011, 08:46 PM
I would bet if he plays. On passing downs he would move inside and Casey comes out. No way can Hood's time be cut now not with the way he's been playing.

AkronSteel
01-18-2011, 11:00 PM
I would bet if he plays. On passing downs he would move inside and Casey comes out. No way can Hood's time be cut now not with the way he's been playing.

I've been saying the same thing brother!!! It's great that the team stood by Aaron and allowed him to stay on the active roster so he may be able to contribute to a Super Bowl run but there is no way that he should be taking snaps away from Ziggy at this point. Not only is he recovering from a serious injury that will probably limit his strength but Ziggy is playing lights out right now and if we took him off the field it would be a crime. I could see the team getting an emotional boost from seeing Aaron mixed in on a few passing plays, like you said, on the inside....but I don't wanna see him start ahead of Keisel and Hood or even get as many snaps as they are. He could contribute but only on a limited basis in my eyes!!!

Flasteel
01-18-2011, 11:28 PM
Are you guys serious? It's about a quality rotation with no loss in effectiveness. I agree that Hood has earned his place on the field, but having all three ends plus Hoke and Hampton rotating in keeps everyone fresh.

AkronSteel
01-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Are you guys serious? It's about a quality rotation with no loss in effectiveness. I agree that Hood has earned his place on the field, but having all three ends plus Hoke and Hampton rotating in keeps everyone fresh.

I understand what you are saying!! I agree that having Aaron back would be better than putting some others out there but what I'm saying is that I don't think it would be smart to take snaps away from Ziggy for the sake of getting Aaron on the field. I could see him getting Nick Eason's snaps to spell Ziggy and Keisel but I don't wanna see Ziggy taken off the field to get Aaron more snaps!!! The D has progressed from week 6 when Aaron was healthy and contributing....the dynamics have changed. I want Aaron back and healthy just like everyone else but I don't want him on the field at the expense of Ziggy!!

sentinel33
01-18-2011, 11:58 PM
Play Smith as much as the Docs will allow. We didnt keep a roster spot open for nothing. You cant tell me the D-line wouldnt be all smiles to see him come in and spell one of them. It's pretty obvious that hood has the starting spot from here on out and keisel has been entrenched for years at his. Smith is a backup now and hopefully he can handle that role going into the future. As a backup i think he still has a couplefew more years in him. just great to hear he may get snaps this Sunday. welcome back aaron. missed ya.

focosteeler
01-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Play Smith as much as the Docs will allow. We didnt keep a roster spot open for nothing. You cant tell me the D-line wouldnt be all smiles to see him come in and spell one of them. It's pretty obvious that hood has the starting spot from here on out and keisel has been entrenched for years at his. Smith is a backup now and hopefully he can handle that role going into the future. As a backup i think he still has a couplefew more years in him. just great to hear he may get snaps this Sunday. welcome back aaron. missed ya.

:Agree best back up in the game...hope he can stay for awhile and continue to help ziggy along when its needed

StarSpangledSteeler
01-19-2011, 02:32 AM
I am NOT crowning Hood yet. He has shown a lot of progress and I am very encouraged by his last couple of games. But Smith (when healthy) is still superior in technique on passing plays, and is virtually unblockable on running downs. And he has tons more experience/instincts. If Smith feels ready... ride him to the promise land.

SidSmythe
01-19-2011, 06:33 AM
Hey, they gave Rod Woodson 20 snaps in SuperBowl XXX w a repaired ACL. No reason they can't put Smith in for 15 or so plays to shake his rust off and get him back for the Superbowl. Or if he can't play this week, get him in for 20 or so plays during the Superbowl

jj28west
01-19-2011, 06:50 AM
I am NOT crowning Hood yet. He has shown a lot of progress and I am very encouraged by his last couple of games. But Smith (when healthy) is still superior in technique on passing plays, and is virtually unblockable on running downs. And he has tons more experience/instincts. If Smith feels ready... ride him to the promise land.

I have actually begun to see Ziggy hold his own at the point of the attack so he seems to be injury free. In one play Ziggy is engaged with the blocker and with one hand makes a tackle of Rice?

I have seen Aaron do this also except he took on two blockers and many times made the tacke. Incredible. Classic case where many fans will look at the stat box and question Smith's production but in a 3-4 taking on two blockers most of the game is the perfect design.

JTP53609
01-19-2011, 10:20 AM
this injury has really hurt Aaron Smith for next year if he decides to come back. I just do not see him beating out anyone for a starting spot even if he is at full strength. He was one of my all time favorite Steelers and he can still be a starter for teams when healthy. Like everyone else says, he really helps the Steelers coming and out of the game but he will not be starting anymore thanks the play of Ziggy Hood. It is a good problem to have..

RuthlessBurgher
01-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Ziggy's been playing great of late...no doubt.

He's established without question that he is our future.

But Smitty is arguably the best 3-4 DE OF ALL TIME!

If Aaron's arm allows him to play, he will play.

It's just a question of the number of snaps he'll get to ease him back in.

And that will boost up everyone else's play as well.

Think of it like Willis Reed...sure, he only scored 4 points in game 7 of the 1970 Finals.

But the inspiration of seeing him lumber out there helped lead Clyde to score 36 points in a 14 point victory.

hawaiiansteel
01-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Steelers DE Smith set to practice for first time since October

NFL.com
Published: Jan. 18, 2011

Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith will return to practice this week, coach Mike Tomlin announced Tuesday, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Smith has been sidelined with a torn triceps since Oct. 24, but the Steelers didn't place him on season-ending injured reserve in the hopes that he would recover in time to help the team during the playoffs.

With the AFC Championship Game against the New York Jets just five days away, Tomlin said if Smith is active, he likely will play a limited number of downs.

"Snap count is probably going to be part of that discussion," Tomlin said, but he added that "it would be nice to add that tool to the toolbox."

A source with knowledge of the situation told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora last week that the Steelers might not have Smith back unless they reach the Super Bowl.

Smith has 44 sacks in his 12-year career, all with Pittsburgh.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81dc337a/article/steelers-de-smith-set-to-practice-for-first-time-since-october

LordVile
01-19-2011, 08:04 PM
I just heard over from STEELER ADDICTS that his MRI' tests were not good enough for him to play..

Stewie
01-20-2011, 11:48 AM
He's not playing period.

http://burgh.us/1ae

Chavezz
01-20-2011, 12:41 PM
The Steelers are trying to give Smith a chance to be part of another Super Bowl because he is one of their most beloved players and leaders. They have a kept a roster spot open for him since his injury. But, if the Steelers lose to the Jets, you won't see him in uniform again till next season.

Well no kidding. If we lose to the Jets we won't see Aaron Smith in uniform until next year. Really??

RuthlessBurgher
01-20-2011, 01:21 PM
The Steelers are trying to give Smith a chance to be part of another Super Bowl because he is one of their most beloved players and leaders. They have a kept a roster spot open for him since his injury. But, if the Steelers lose to the Jets, you won't see him in uniform again till next season.

Well no kidding. If we lose to the Jets we won't see Aaron Smith in uniform until next year. Really??

Perhaps Smitty goes grocery shopping at Giant Eagle in full uniform. :wink: