PDA

View Full Version : Ravens would consider signing Plaxico Burress

hawaiiansteel
01-18-2011, 12:50 AM
I would not like to see this... :ratsuck

Ravens would consider signing Plaxico Burress

Posted by Mike Florio on January 17, 2011

Receiver Plaxico Burress is a free agent. Until June, however, he’s not free.

When his prison term ends, one team that has been trying to upgrade the receiver position could be interested.

The Ravens.

“I don’t know Plaxico Burress at all, I’ve never met him, but we’d consider him,” coach John Harbaugh said Monday, per NFL.com. “We’d consider anybody. It just depends on where he’s at. I’d like to find out what kind of person he is, to see where he’s really at in his life.”

Burress went to jail in 2009 after pleading guilty to charges arising from carrying a loaded weapon into a Manhattan nightclub. The gun went off, shooting Burress through the leg.

Last year, the Ravens traded for Anquan Boldin in the offseason, and they landed T.J. Houshmandzadeh after he was dumped by the Seahawks in the final preseason roster cuts. But Boldin was invisible for long stretches of Saturday night’s game, and Houshmandzadeh dropped a pass that would have extended a potential game-tying drive.

Though Burress, if he still can play after two years away from the field, would be an upgrade, the Ravens still need a consistent deep threat that can stretch the field and draw double coverage. Burress would be great along the sidelines or in the back of the end zone, but to truly upgrade, the Ravens may need to make a run at Terrell Owens or Randy Moss.

Though no longer truly dominant, they provide more of a down-the-field presence than anyone currently on the Ravens’ roster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... o-burress/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/17/ravens-would-consider-signing-plaxico-burress/)

Crash
01-18-2011, 12:52 AM
Plaxico has let it be known that Atlanta or the Steelers are his preferred choices.

hawaiiansteel
01-18-2011, 01:29 AM
Plaxico has let it be known that Atlanta or the Steelers are his preferred choices.

I would love for the Steelers to give Plaxico another chance and I know Ben would love it too, Plaxico is the big WR Ben has asked for since Plaxico left.

focosteeler
01-18-2011, 02:15 AM

I would love for the Steelers to give Plaxico another chance and I know Ben would love it too, Plaxico is the big WR Ben has asked for since Plaxico left.

:Agree let him finish out his career here

Djfan
01-18-2011, 02:42 AM
Bring him into camp.

jj28west
01-18-2011, 06:34 AM
That would be awesome! Look at Mike Williams who was out of the league for a couple years. Yes, Plax is older and probably not in ideal conditioning shape but there is also less wear-n-tear on his body having not played recently.

It amazes me that the Ravens OC did not try to isolate Madison with Stallworth. With all those weapons (Bouldin, Mason, Housh, Heap, Stallworth) that Joe Eff had makes it that more amazing the job the D did on them even with the two drops.

steelblood
01-18-2011, 07:53 AM
plax would be great.

proudpittsburgher
01-18-2011, 08:34 AM
I don't have the distain for plax that some have and I really do think he would be an ideal target for Ben. We don't need him to be a burner, we need a guy who Ben can throw it up to when it is 1-1 coverage. As much as I hate the fade route, he's the ideal target for that play.

SidSmythe
01-18-2011, 08:38 AM
I think Michael Vick's success and attitude has paved the way for guys like Plaxico to have a 2nd chance.

I personally don't see the Steelers going after him unless he's changed completely and it's sincere, genuine and obvious.

Eich
01-18-2011, 09:26 AM

I wonder if "2-3 balls a game" would suit him now? He'd be sharing the ball with Wallace, Sanders, Brown and Miller.

proudpittsburgher
01-18-2011, 09:40 AM
I wonder how much of Plax's problems were with Coach Cowher and how much of his problems were organizational. He may behave a bit better with coach Tomlin.

Northern_Blitz
01-18-2011, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't want to take PT away from Sanders and Brown.

If Hines doesn't retire, then we have 4 viable WRs coming back. I'm not sure we'd have room for Plax. Even if Hines call's it a Career, it might be better to draft another mid-round WR and let him fight it out. We've had some luck lately with these players (Wallace, Sanders, Brown).

We also still have Limas. If the light goes on for him, it'd be a good problem to have.

Irongut
01-18-2011, 11:20 AM
the Ravens can have him. It's just what they need, another old slow receiver.

I'll be shocked if he can even make a roster. His speed has to be shot and no coach in their mind would take a headcase like him with his what are likely deteriorated skills. He never was fast and imaging him looking like he's running in concrete now.

proudpittsburgher
01-18-2011, 11:34 AM
We also still have Limas. If the light goes on for him, it'd be a good problem to have.

No thanks. Limas has had his chances (notice the plurality) and, for the life of me, I have zero idea why Sweed has so much of a backing, given how fickle this fan base can be at times with some of its better players and coaches. Just a hunch, but I don't think Sweed makes it through the end of training camp as a Steeler. Then he'll go to Buffalo and get cut there as well.

RuthlessBurgher
01-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Though Burress, if he still can play after two years away from the field, would be an upgrade, the Ravens still need a consistent deep threat that can stretch the field and draw double coverage. Burress would be great along the sidelines or in the back of the end zone, but to truly upgrade, the Ravens may need to make a run at Terrell Owens or Randy Moss.

They brought in Boldin, Doucheyourmama, and Stallworth last season. What did it get them?

Go ahead...bring in Burress and Moss and Owens. They'll still fail.

In their entire existence, Baltimore has not been able to draft a single decent WR (well, except for Brandon Stokley, who had to go elsewhere to succeed).

Seriously, look at this list of crappy wideouts they drafted who have done nothing for their team:

5.153 Jermaine Lewis
6.186 James Roe

2.42 Pat Johnson

4.105 Brandon Stokley

1.10 Travis Taylor

4.123 Ron Johnson
6.195 Lamont Brightful
6.206 Javin Hunter

3.82 Devard Darling
6.199 Clarence Moore
7.244 Derek Abney

1.22 Mark Clayton

4.111 Demetrius Williams

3.74 Yamon Figurs

4.106 Marcus Smith
7.215 Justin Harper

5.156 David Reed

In 2000, we pick 8th and get Plaxico and they pick 10th and get Travis Taylor. :ratsuck

In 2005, they take Mark Clayton with the 22nd pick, and the next year, we get Santonio with the 25th pick. :lol:

And with all those mid-to-late round picks used on WR's in their existence, they've never come close to anything like Mike Wallace, Manny Sanders, or Antonio Brown. :mrgreen:

The only solid WR they've ever had was imported from Tennessee (Mason).

grotonsteel
01-18-2011, 11:55 AM
I am assuming Mark Clayton is currently playing for St Louis RAMS...If so Mark Clayton was having a good season before he got injured or atleast he was the Top target for Sam.

I guess Baltimore is a place where WRs become no-show.... :D

Northern_Blitz
01-18-2011, 12:06 PM

No thanks. Limas has had his chances (notice the plurality) and, for the life of me, I have zero idea why Sweed has so much of a backing, given how fickle this fan base can be at times with some of its better players and coaches. Just a hunch, but I don't think Sweed makes it through the end of training camp as a Steeler. Then he'll go to Buffalo and get cut there as well.

First, I hope Limas makes it because he's still on the team and he seems to have the physical tools to be a decent receiver. I think Limas should come to camp and compete for the #4 or #5 (depending if Ward retires) with whatever rook or vet we bring in (or ARE if he sticks around). I don't think he'll make it, but "if the light goes on for him" he's a guy that has the physical tools. If he could even catch the easy ones, a depth chart of Wallace / Ward / Sanders / Brown / Sweed looks pretty good to me. If we spread those guys out, one should be able to get open.

My point is that there is no room for a guy like Burress who will be looking to be a starting WR (or at least in the top 3). I think with or without Ward, we have our top 3 guys so Burress isn't a good fit (except he is - or at least was - friends with Ben). Burress will be looking to be a star again. Someone will give him the chance, but it won't be us. Even if Sweed came to camp and didn't make it, we still may be able to bring back guys like ARE and Battle who can suit up on Sundays. We won't be looking for a high end WR this year. IMO, the youngguys have earned more PT (not less).

RuthlessBurgher
01-18-2011, 12:25 PM

And the Falcons has been looking for an option opposite Roddy White that is better than Michael Jenkins.

hawaiiansteel
01-18-2011, 03:27 PM
I will always love Plaxico for denying the Patriots* a Super Bowl victory and perfect season with this TD catch:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/02/03/sports/football/04superbowl_slide16.jpghttp://www.nordaleclothing.com/18-1.jpg

Crash
01-18-2011, 03:57 PM
TO isn't a good fit for Cam Cameron's offense. I don't think that would ever happen.