PDA

View Full Version : I want to be first to say:We beat the Jets convincingly

Captain Lemming
01-16-2011, 09:24 PM
The Jets have just spent themselves for 2 weeks.

They are a team that needs, and feeds on emotion, and their tank well be empty.

Add to this the fact that they beat us. They will be flat.

Sanchez?
He has yet to see what the real Steeler D is about.
We are in true form now and he will struggle.

Cant run on us like you did the Pats.

Conversely, we lost to the Jets, so we will be hungry and ready.

Mark my words, this game will be ugly.

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
01-16-2011, 09:27 PM
I can see us beating the Jets...were the better team. I never think ahead but if we do win and have to face the Packers in the SB would be tough. As Steeler fans we are 6-1 in SB's and it would be hard to make it the distance and lose. Hopefully we take care of thE Jets and the Bears can beat the Pack....To be the Champs we have to beat whomever is in front of us though!

Ozey74
01-16-2011, 09:30 PM
We didn't have Polamalu last time they met. Alot of the preperation they did by studying our D for the first match up will be useless this time around with Troy.

:tt2

virgilbosetti
01-16-2011, 09:33 PM
The Jets just won "their" Super Bowl. Ryan even said it was the second most important Jets game ever. Nowhere to go but down.....and they will probably come in way over confident ....while the Steelers should stay grounded from the regular season loss.

sentinel33
01-16-2011, 09:34 PM
and i'm pretty certain we wont spot them 7 points on a kickoff.

TCB
01-16-2011, 09:46 PM
Don't kid yourselves. The Jets are good. This game will not be easy.

I'll be happy with a 1 point win.

BURGH86STEEL
01-16-2011, 09:50 PM

I think it's going to be a tough game.

Stewie
01-16-2011, 09:50 PM

I agree. However, we should gain some confidence from the fact that we were without both Poly and Heath the last game.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/01/st ... mpionship/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/01/steelers-to-host-jets-for-afc-championship/)

Sugar
01-16-2011, 10:01 PM
This will be a tough one. I seriously underestimated the Jets today. I thought that they would lose by at least 20 points. While I do believe the Steelers to be the best between the two, it won't be easy.

Oviedo
01-16-2011, 10:02 PM

:Agree

We couldn't seem to be able to stop them just one month ago. What has changed for us? This game is going to be tough. Their defensive secondary is very, very good.

If we refuse to blitz Sanchez like we failed to last game the outcome will be the same.

Irongut
01-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Totally agree unless our offense plays like they did the 1st half yesterday.

Wolfhound45
01-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Love the enthusiasm. Just not buying it right now. Not saying it is going to be a dogfight like we had with the Rats. But it will not be easy. One thing that they showed me is that they are well coached and that means a lot in the playoffs.

I am seeing a Steelers win.

Crash
01-16-2011, 10:09 PM

And hopefully the defense can stop giving back TDs right after the offense goes 90 yards.

msp26505
01-16-2011, 10:10 PM
They don't have the "it's personal" rallying cry this time around.

Teams like the Jets seem to need some type of external motivation. I doubt the Steelers will give that to them, and the Jets won here earlier, so that can't come in with the "us against the world" mentality.

Advantage Steelers.

Irongut
01-16-2011, 10:17 PM

And hopefully the defense can stop giving back TDs right after the offense goes 90 yards.

The defense saved the day yesterday. Please don't tell me you're blaming them? That would be almost as stupid as saying the 2004 team was a passing team.

msp26505
01-16-2011, 10:19 PM

The defense saved the day yesterday. Please don't tell me you're blaming them? That would be almost as stupid as saying the 2004 team was a passing team.

+1

Crash
01-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Please don't tell me you're blaming them?

I'm saying this defense has the unfortunate ability to give back TDs right after we score them.

That's a bad trait to have. It killed their post season hopes last year in KC, and against Oakland (Twice).

Irongut
01-16-2011, 10:26 PM

I'm saying this defense has the unfortunate ability to give back TDs right after we score them.

That's a bad trait to have. It killed their post season hopes last year in KC, and against Oakland (Twice).

That's pretty funny considering you spent all week complaining about the refs and the biggest play on that drive was a penalty.

Yeah, you keep blaming the defense. I'm sure in your head that makes perfect sense, just like you say the 2004 team was a passing team.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-16-2011, 10:26 PM
only an idiot would take a shot at the defense after holding a talented NFL team to 128 total yards.

wow.

msp26505
01-16-2011, 10:28 PM

That was a very different team than this one. They hadn't figured out how to cope with the loss of Aaron Smith. This year they did.

While whoever is opposite Ike is a weak spot, this D is still MUCH better than last year.

Giving up a TD after the offense scores happens sometimes. But it doesn't happen enough to this defense to cause me concern.

They are getting QB pressure (and sacks), forcing turnovers, and NO ONE can run on them. Barring injury, I think this defense is good enough to carry this team to a title.

Irongut
only an idiot would take a shot at the defense after holding a talented NFL team to 128 total yards.

wow.
Not to mention 28 total yards and 3 pts. in the ENTIRE second half.

Without the defense forcing turnovers, we have no shot yesterday.

Crash
I'm not taking shots at the defense at all. Just pointing out a flaw that they've had since 2007.

NJ-STEELER
01-16-2011, 10:29 PM

saying the 2004 team was a passing team.

awesome

another thread gets derailed

Irongut
01-16-2011, 10:29 PM

That was a very different team than this one. They hadn't figured out how to cope with the loss of Aaron Smith. This year they did.

While whoever is opposite Ike is a weak spot, this D is still MUCH better than last year.

Giving up a TD after the offense scores happens sometimes. But it doesn't happen enough to this defense to cause me concern.

They are getting QB pressure (and sacks), forcing turnovers, and NO ONE can run on them. Barring injury, I think this defense is good enough to carry this team to a title.
again :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

NW Steeler
01-16-2011, 10:58 PM
I'm not doing any predicting this week! I was on the side of those that thought we would beat the Rats convincingly. Anything can happen. But I do like our chances!

Captain Lemming
01-17-2011, 12:38 AM
I'm not doing any predicting this week! I was on the side of those that thought we would beat the Rats convincingly. Anything can happen. But I do like our chances!

NW, if you look at those threads I had the opposite take on the last game. I did not think we would run away with it.

Interestingly, the reason why I LIKE this matchup, is why I knew the Ravens would be close.
They, like the Jets are emotional yappers who whip themselves up when playing their hated rival. We got all they have to give.

We are to the Ravens, what NE is to the Jets.

NE will NEVER be as high for a game against us as they are against the Pats.

People misunderstand the cause of my optimism.

The Jets are good, true.
Our timing just could not be better.

Especially since they beat us already, they will be flat, mark my words.

NJ-STEELER
01-17-2011, 01:49 AM
i dont believe any team can come out "flat" in a championship game.

they might not be as up as they were for the pats...but flat??

hawaiiansteel
01-17-2011, 01:52 AM
Especially since they beat us already, they will be flat, mark my words.

the Jets lost in the AFCC game last year, that will be a big motivator for them in this game.

msp26505
01-17-2011, 07:27 AM
i dont believe any team can come out "flat" in a championship game.

they might not be as up as they were for the pats...but flat??

2004 AFC Championship Game:

Pats 41
Steelers 27

..and it wasn't that close.

NJ-STEELER
01-17-2011, 11:37 AM
they dont have cowher as coach

i think there's zero chance they come out flat.

not saying we cant deflate them if we hit them a quick with a play or two, but they'll be riding high into the game

snarky
01-17-2011, 11:40 AM
To be honest, I think both teams are susceptible to emotional let downs this week. Perhaps the Jets are slightly more so. But let's not kid ourselves, the steelers need to keep their heads right this week.

steelfin
01-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Playoff football is about big time defense and big game QBs....and we have both. I feel as good as one can feel about a NFL playoff game...any given Sunday....

This is the match up most wanted...We match up much better against the Jets than the Pats.

Let's not spot them 7 on a KO return and a 2 as a result of inept offensive play calling in our own end zone and we will be fine.

NW Steeler
01-17-2011, 01:22 PM
I think the Steelers shook off the rust last weekend. Well, they literally had it knocked off. The Jets will give us a battle to be sure, but I expect our offense to play a lot better next Sunday.
How fortunate we are as fans to have a team that has played in a conference championship game 15 times as of Sunday. Wow. GO STEELERS!!!!!

:Bow
:tt1
:Beer

snarky
01-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Pretty sure that with Saturday's win we are either tied for or sole owners of post-merger records for

Regular season wins
Playoff wins
Conference championship game appearances
Division wins
SB wins (of course)

The cowboys still have more SB appearances than we do (by one).

So yes, we are very fortunate to be fans of this team.

Iron Shiek
01-17-2011, 01:29 PM
The Jets have just spent themselves for 2 weeks.

They are a team that needs, and feeds on emotion, and their tank well be empty.

Add to this the fact that they beat us. They will be flat.

Sanchez?
He has yet to see what the real Steeler D is about.
We are in true form now and he will struggle.

Cant run on us like you did the Pats.

Conversely, we lost to the Jets, so we will be hungry and ready.

Mark my words, this game will be ugly.

I'm sure the same could've been said about our '05 team? But they stayed resilient and went all the way.
Anyway, this will be a tough game, I pick us to win though ( :lol: )

TallyStiller
01-17-2011, 04:21 PM
I'll take us and lay the 3 Vegas has us giving. I'll go that far... but I think it'll be a tight game.