PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin's bane: Scott vs Suggs

PSU_dropout43
01-13-2011, 02:21 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 17910.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_717910.html)

Ravens' Suggs hard for teams to handle
By Mark Kaboly

Jonathan Scott had just about enough of all the talk about Terrell Suggs.

So much so that he let it be known to a reporter in front of his locker after practice Wednesday.

"To let you know, if you are going to be talking about (expletive) Terrell Suggs, I have nothing to talk about," Scott said.

Even though Scott didn't want to talk about Baltimore's highly disruptive linebacker, Suggs' play the last time the two teams met a month ago spoke volumes.

Suggs registered five tackles, three of which went for negative yards, to go along with five quarterback hits and 1 1/2 sacks.

Scott was singled out during the NBC broadcast as the guy most responsible for letting Suggs get loose, but with Suggs moving around the defensive front, more than Scott had a hand in Suggs' big day.

"They know how to use him in their defense," Scott said. "They put him in space and all over the field. He causes other people to get free or cause him to come free."

The Steelers won't — or more precisely — can't double-team Suggs because of how much he moves around. They can never be quite sure where he will be on any given play.

"Whoever draws his number, which he flips both sides, you've got a job," Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "Whoever is assigned to him has to cinch it up and play hard."

The majority of the time it is going to be Scott, who Arians said played "pretty solid" last time against the Ravens.

"I feel that I did," Scott said. "As a competitor, I feel like I want to be even better. It is kind of insane to think that I don't want to step up to the challenge. It baffles me."

Scott is aware that all eyes will be on him Saturday.

"All eyes were on me going against Jason Taylor; all eyes were on me going against other players," Scott said. "It's nothing unusual. I can handle it. It is not going to be a problem."

jj28west
01-13-2011, 06:09 AM
Last couple games I thought he played OK. Suggs is one of those guys that you love to hate if he lines up against you but I think a lot of this is an act with his talking. Yes, both teams will put a deliberate hurting on you so you are going to have to have your head on a swivel.

I know its easier said then done because I am sure Scott has pride but I would not say sh!t to the media.

The Suggs factor is bad enough. I guess it could be worse and be Clay Matthews.

pittpete
01-13-2011, 12:15 PM
To counter Suggs moving from the left and right side, how difficult would it be to just use an extra lineman on Suggs' side.
If he moves to the opposite side, just move the extra lineman over before the snap.
Its better than using Spaeth who we know isnt a great blocker.
Would take a lot, but leaving Scott or Flozell constantly 1 on 1 vs. Suggs is asking for a lot of trouble as evident by his last game.
Its not rocket science:the Ravens use the unbalanced line to counter Harrison,why not try something Brucey?

Steeler Shades
01-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Wait. If Spaeth can't block AND can't catch...what does he contribute at the TE position?

BradshawsHairdresser
01-13-2011, 12:38 PM
To counter Suggs moving from the left and right side, how difficult would it be to just use an extra lineman on Suggs' side.
If he moves to the opposite side, just move the extra lineman over before the snap.
Would take a lot, but leaving Scott or Flozell constantly 1 on 1 vs. Suggs is asking for a lot of trouble as evident by his last game.
Its not rocket science:the Ravens use the unbalanced line to counter Harrison,why not try something Brucey?

BA: "We do what we do."

pittpete
01-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Wait. If Spaeth can't block AND can't catch...what does he contribute at the TE position

Spaeths hands arent great, but he isnt that bad.
He is what he is, a backup TE with average passcatching ability and average blocking skills.
Only time he should see the field is when Heath needs a breather or is unable to play.

RuthlessBurgher
01-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Wait. If Spaeth can't block AND can't catch...what does he contribute at the TE position?

The parking lots outside of Pittsburgh bars aren't going to pee on themselves. :wink:

flippy
01-13-2011, 01:18 PM
Scott's been playing decent since his mid game benching a few weeks back.

aggiebones
01-13-2011, 05:21 PM

The parking lots outside of Pittsburgh bars aren't going to pee on themselves. :wink:

I'll do it Sheriff.

That said, not sure what people expect of a 4th-5th string backup TE.

Dee Dub
01-13-2011, 05:48 PM

Very difficult when you consider that they generally have to have two interior men on Ngata. I would rather they double Ngata than Suggs. You have a chance, albeit a slim one, one-on-one versus Suggs. You have absolutely no chance one-on-one verses Ngata.

Steeler Shades
01-13-2011, 08:02 PM
That said, not sure what people expect of a 4th-5th string backup TE.
I'd expect a NFL 3rd round TE draft choice to be able to catch (well) and block (well). Clearly an unrealistic expectation for Spaeth based on his performance while filling in for Heath. 8)