PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals may miss out on Steelers assistant Butler

SteelCrazy
01-11-2011, 02:46 AM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/straightface72/PHP4D2B92AD9E9D1.jpgWhisenhunt and Butler in 2007

Coach Ken Whisenhunt would like to interview Pittsburgh Steelers assistant Keith Butler for the Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator's job, but Whisenhunt might not get that chance if the Steelers advance far into the playoffs.

Butler, Pittsburgh's linebackers coach, cannot be interviewed until the Steelers are eliminated from the playoffs. Pittsburgh hosts Baltimore on Saturday.

The Steelers also would have to grant Whisenhunt permission to interview Butler, which they denied in 2007 when both teams were undergoing a coaching change.

More of a roadblack may be a clause in his contract that prevents him from interviewing for the Cardinals defensive coordinator's job, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported on Monday.

After the 2009 season, Butler turned down an offer to become the Dolphins' defensive coordinator. According to the Post-Gazette, Butler and the Steelers agreed then to contract language that identifies Butler as "the coordinator in waiting" for when Dick LeBeau decides to retire.

Whisenhunt is expected to interview at least two unnamed candidates this week to replace Bill Davis, who was fired last week. Whisenhunt might not be able to wait for Butler's situation to be resolved because candidates would not want to pass on other opportunities in the meantime.

If the coordinator's job is open when Butler becomes available, Whisenhunt should be able to move quickly. Whisenhunt was on the Browns' staff with Butler in 1999 and again for four seasons with the Steelers under coach Bill Cowher. Whisenhunt and Butler are close friends.

A new coordinator likely would have some influence on the makeup of the remainder of the defensive staff, although the final decision would be Whisenhunt's.

Butler, 52, is in his eighth season on the Steelers' staff and is credited with developing several Pro Bowl linebackers, including James Farrior, James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley.

Butler, a linebacker at Memphis, was drafted by Seattle in the second round 1978 and played 10 seasons for the Seahawks He coached nine years at the college level before taking the job with the Browns.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardina ... z1AhsSLpCc (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2011/01/10/20110110arizona-cardinals-pittsburgh-steelers-keith-butler-may-miss.html#ixzz1AhsSLpCc)

Oviedo
01-11-2011, 06:12 AM
Like I said:

Tomlin > Whis

Rooneys > Bidwell

Steelers defense > Cards defense

Steelers talent > Cards talent

Steeler Nation (Universe) > Cards Nest

Why would Butler want to go there???????

Chadman
01-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Money......makes being mediocre palatable...

Mister Pittsburgh
01-11-2011, 09:20 AM
probably more hot chicks in arizona with less clothes on.

aggiebones
01-11-2011, 11:55 AM
He'll have more support in the Burgh. I hope he realizes that. Some guys have wanderlust, some are happy to keep in a solid situation. Only reason to leave.

If he goes to Ariz and resurrects that defense, then he'll be an immediate head coach candidate.
Though he could do similar from having success after Lebeau retires.

I'd like to see Lebeau move to a subordinate role. I don't think he has a huge ego and as long as Butler knows that he is allowing him to move up a rung out of kindness, then it should work. Lebeau could be a safety net for him and offer advice while getting butler ready for Lebeau's eminent departure. If Lebeau REALLY intends to coach for 5 more years, then no biggie, but Butler should leave then. I imagine VERY frank conversations have already taken place and Butler already is taking a stronger role and calling alot of signals.