PDA

View Full Version : Book - The Ones Who Hit the Hardest:...

D Rock
01-11-2011, 01:38 AM
Has anyone read this book? I came across it at a bookstore the other day and just ordered it online a few minutes ago. Amazon has it with shipping for just about $20.

I wasn't alive in the 70s, and barely the 80s, but I grew up in Pittsburgh and am now living in Dallas. This book reviews the struggles the city of Pittsburgh faced at the time and how the teams resembled their cities and the people in them, so I thought it would be a good read.

"The Ones Who Hit the Hardest: The Steelers, the Cowboys, the '70s, and the Fight for America's Soul" by Chad Millman

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51im3JRwWQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Steel Life
01-11-2011, 01:47 AM
I got it as a present for Christmas & it's a great read...recommended reading for every Steeler fan.

proudpittsburgher
01-11-2011, 11:13 AM
me too . . . Christmas present . . . about half way through. Tells you a lot about the origins of the league and some of the behind the scene's stuff. Loved the story about Mean Joe running onto the opposing team's bus to start a fight, and they all ran out the back door.

ikestops85
01-11-2011, 11:17 AM
I haven't read that book but will put it on my want list. I did get "Ruanaidh" for Christmas. I am not that far into it yet but it is awesome. It seems that the entire Rooney clan was made up of some colorful characters. Kudos to the person on this site who was pimping the read. :Beer

Discipline of Steel
01-11-2011, 11:43 AM
I love it! Lamberts got a balled up fist.

I was a Steeler fan through that era and will probably get that book. Funny, I just spent a couple hours with Hollywood Henderson the other day. Didnt tell him I was a lifelong Steeler fan till the end. He kind of looked at me disgusted, then smiled and said, 'Those were some good games back then."

skyhawk
01-11-2011, 04:22 PM
I am half way through it right now! Great book so far.

Lot's of good detailed info on the Steelers, Cowboys, the old AFL, and the steel mills. Highly recommended!! :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
01-11-2011, 04:30 PM
I love it! Lamberts got a balled up fist.

I was a Steeler fan through that era and will probably get that book. Funny, I just spent a couple hours with Hollywood Henderson the other day. Didnt tell him I was a lifelong Steeler fan till the end. He kind of looked at me disgusted, then smiled and said, 'Those were some good games back then."

I'm sure a lot of us...players, coaches, fans, everyone...will look back at these Steeler-Raven showdowns with similar sentiment. Especially in light of the ongoing efforts to pu$$ify the league, these Steeler-Raven battles like the one we are looking forward to this weekend may be a dying breed of old-school, hard-hitting, slobber-knocker football. These are the good ol' days, gentlemen. Enjoy.