PDA

View Full Version : What about going no huddle...

SteelCrazy
01-10-2011, 01:55 PM
....to start the game. Say, the 1st 20 plays, scripted and use it to start the 3rd. The Rats were starting to tire in the 3rd and 4th yesterday. The will have one less day of rest on Sat. and not letting them sub will help tire them in the 4th. You know this game will most likely come down to the last few minutes. Any chance of using the no huddle or does anyone else like this idea?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-10-2011, 02:04 PM
....to start the game. Say, the 1st 20 plays, scripted and use it to start the 3rd. The Rats were starting to tire in the 3rd and 4th yesterday. The will have one less day of rest on Sat. and not letting them sub will help tire them in the 4th. You know this game will most likely come down to the last few minutes. Any chance of using the no huddle or does anyone else like this idea?

I do, :Agree !

I think everyone in Steeler nation/Planet does too ... with the POSSIBLE exception of Bad Always.

And ... what does Tomlin think about it?

Doyle37
01-10-2011, 02:08 PM
It worked in '05...why not now ?? Ben loves it !!

NW Steeler
01-10-2011, 02:11 PM
I think that would be great. Really force the tempo early with a short passing game. Let's run that defense ragged. Gotta do something to get them off balance. If we start the game trying to force the run against them we will be doing them a favor. Tire them down and watch them fade in the second half.

:ratsuck

Crash
01-10-2011, 02:16 PM
I don't know about starting no huddle, but I would most certainly use it at least once a quarter.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-10-2011, 02:26 PM
I like the idea, it is a way to throw something different at them while using something that has worked for us in the past.

And, as the BA haters know, Ben calls all the plays in the no huddle so they will all love this idea.

flippy
01-10-2011, 03:20 PM
All except the scripted part.

No script from BA-hole. Let me send him a quick note:

"Dear BA-hole,

Please go no-huddle, no script to start the game against the Ravens.

Your boy,
Flippy"

SteelCrazy
01-10-2011, 03:54 PM
All except the scripted part.

No script from BA-hole. Let me send him a quick note:

"Dear BA-hole,

Please go no-huddle, no script to start the game against the Ravens.

Your boy,
Flippy"

I said scripted because I know if we were to go no huddle to begin the game that is the only way Bruce would do it. His ego is the only thing that exceeds his ignorance.

BURGH86STEEL
01-10-2011, 04:26 PM
I think it's best to save the no huddle for when they feel they need to go no huddle.

feltdizz
01-10-2011, 04:33 PM
I don't know about starting no huddle, but I would most certainly use it at least once a quarter.

I think the no huddle works best when the other team isn't expecting it and has started to suck wind.

SteelCrazy
01-10-2011, 06:06 PM
I think it's best to save the no huddle for when they feel they need to go no huddle.

The only time a team feels they need to go no huddle is when they're losing...hopefully we wont be in that situation.

DukieBoy
01-10-2011, 08:31 PM
We force the tempo with the no-huddle, make it difficult for them to sub in players on D, make them run sideline-to-sideline and deep, and that heavy old D will exhaust themselves.

fordfixer
01-10-2011, 08:48 PM

What makes you think they were getting tired, the D was only on the field for 18:16 the whole game

SteelCrazy
01-10-2011, 11:41 PM

What makes you think they were getting tired, the D was only on the field for 18:16 the whole game

Suggs, for one, was breathing out of his mouth hard and they were slowing down compared to the 1st half, although the Chiefs looked worse in the 2nd. Which that goes to Todd Haley for stripping the play calling duties from Weiss.

Stewie
01-11-2011, 08:38 AM
I think that would be great. Really force the tempo early with a short passing game. Let's run that defense ragged. Gotta do something to get them off balance. If we start the game trying to force the run against them we will be doing them a favor. Tire them down and watch them fade in the second half.

I agree. Spread 'em out. Tire 'em out. Then run over 'em.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-11-2011, 09:19 AM
I don't know about starting the game but it should be in the gameplan. But this should be something that Tomlin, BA, & BB start by recognition and should be practiced all week. I also agree, at some point, the should just spread it out to change up the pace and get some key personnel off the field for the Ravens. The more effective way is to jump into it coming off a down & distance 3rd down.

One instance...You get the personell matchup you want off of a 3rd down. Come out in 12 personnel on a 3rd & medium. If you get Ngata or Gregg of the field & you pick up the 1st, go right to the line. Run & PA out of this formation. Have to keep routes to intermediate to keep the Ravens from subbing.

Second example, off 3rd & long, come out in 10 or 11 personnel and have Mendy out wide early in the game. When the Ravens adjust to this (Treat it as 0,1, or 2 personnel/nickel or dime) you go right to the line when you convert. Mendy lines up back in the backfield...Run & PA out of this personnel group.

Third example, come out in 21 personnel early in the game on 3rd & short. The RB's would be Redman & Mendy. Mendy again would be split out. Could actually have Redman & Miller side car BB in shotgun and motion Miller out or have him chip Suggs & release. If the Ravens adjust, you go to the line if you convert. Mendy back in the backfield...Run & PA out of this personnel group.

This is done alot by the Pats & Colts. Makes a defense burn some timeouts but after one or two they stop. More importantly, you get a chance to run against light 6-7 man fronts and put the pressure on the DC to call on the fly. Trying to stop the run with a nickel or dime package could create a one on one with Wallace if the DC calls a blitz to compensate the undermanned front on D. You do this to create that mismatch. Create the "splash plays". Takes alot of coordination. Steelers had two weeks...Hope they were working on it.

hawaiiansteel
01-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Steelers Vs. Ravens: Time to Turn Big Ben Loose With More No Huddle?

by Michael Bean on Jan 13, 2011 5:36 PM EST

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/819241/62911_steelers_roethlisberger_football.jpg

Steeler Nation has discussed ad nauseum the topic of Ben Roethlisberger being trusted to run the no huddle offense more frequently. And not just this year either. The conversation started a few years ago really, and it stemmed largely from the increased opportunities he seemed to be getting from Bruce Arians during training camp. We haven't seen much of the no huddle from Pittsbugh's offense though. In fact, I'd be curious to know exactly how many snaps and/or drives the Steelers have run from the no huddle, not including two-minute drill situations.

Regardless of why has largely shied away it, I think this weekend's Divisional Round game against the Ravens might be the perfect opportunity to turn Big Ben loose and trust him with several series in the no huddle. For starters, Roethlisberger has really elevated his game from a decision-making standpoint this season. He's thrown 158 consecutive passes without an interception, the longest such streak by a Steelers' QB since Kordell Stewart threw 159 in 2001 without being picked off. That's partly a product of playing against some weak pass defenses down the stretch, but it's also a testament to the extra work he's done in the film room. As Mike Tomlin said, Ben's enjoying the 'monotony' of the job more this year. And it's shown.

Secondly, going to the no huddle would also make it tougher for Greg Matison, Baltimore's defensive coordinator, to dial up as many confusing blitz packages throughout the game. I'd actually contend that the Steelers' offensive line played pretty darn well against the Ravens last game, especially after the first quarter. That said, the Steelers had no answer for Terrell Suggs all night long. And Suggs wasn't just abusing Jonathan Scott. He was being moved around quite a bit by Mattison, something that would be harder to do if the Steelers went to the no huddle.

Thirdly, putting Ben in the no huddle would give him extra time to try to sniff out what Baltimore's trying to do on any given play at the line of scrimmage. Much like what Peyton Manning does when he goes to the line, points to this or that guy on the defense, barks orders to his offensive linemen and playmakers, etc. Big Ben is no Peyton Manning, but I believe he's far enough along in his maturation as a quarterback to correctly diagnose what looks he and the offense are about to see from the Ravens defense. With this extra time, Roethlisberger might be able to audible out of dangerous situations and into favorable matchups - like say, a hot read to Mike Wallace, or a run to Rashard Mendenhall that might go for a big gain.

What do you all think? Agree? Disagree? Wrong situation to experiment? Or is this the perfect time to mix things up given the 'win or go home' nature of the NFL Playoffs?

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... -no-huddle (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/1/13/1933613/steelers-vs-ravens-time-to-turn-big-ben-loose-with-more-no-huddle)

SteelCrazy
01-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Big Ben is no Peyton Manning

Thank God or we'd be at home watching the playoffs this weekend. Although, I'll be watching from home this weekend.

steelz09
01-13-2011, 09:28 PM

I agree. Spread 'em out. Tire 'em out. Then run over 'em.

Sounds like a plan to me. Nothing wrong with pass setting up the run. If we think we're going to start the game being successful with run, run, pass the offense will fail just like they normally do with that methodology against the ravens.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-13-2011, 10:56 PM

Thank God or we'd be at home watching the playoffs this weekend. Although, I'll be watching from home this weekend.

Wait ... so that means ... YOU are Peyton Manning???

:shock: :?

SteelCrazy
01-13-2011, 11:02 PM

Wait ... so that means ... YOU are Peyton Manning???

:shock: :?
That's right and I have an incredible 13" TV to watch it on. You wanna watch the game with us (my dad and brother)?

pick6
01-13-2011, 11:26 PM
I agree about the use of the hurry up. Especially the part about how tired the Ravens get. Along with the hurry we must execute. Every 1st down we get against these guys is a back breaker. They have stamina issues for sure. In our last game BA called an awesome 1st drive to start the 3rd quarter, it took a long time and after it (as I looked at the game again) they were running on vapors. Our TD pass in the 4th and the broken tackles that led to it were a result of the ravens being dead tired.

The ravens know that they need to be up by 10 at the half to have a chance at winning.

The only issue with the hurry up is that Ben said that it was causing problems with some of the newer olinemen and there assignments. But that was about 5 or 6 weeks ago. The oline seems to be playing alot better and I think their ready for more walk to the line call the play, snap the ball offense.

Crash
01-14-2011, 12:54 AM

Right, Ben actually wins in the playoffs.

The field is a mess and snow is in the forecast. So expect a tight run filled game.