PDA

View Full Version : Could Arians Be This Inventive?

ikestops85
01-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Did you guys watch the Packers game? Here is a team whose running game has been a joke most of the year so their OC does something different for the playoffs. The Packers utilized the wishbone or inverted wishbone on many of their running plays. Starks averaged 7.6 ypc out of that formation.

Why can't the Steelers ever do something creative like that? I would love to see Redman, Dwyer, and Mendy in the backfield at the same time. We could even send Ben out wide and have Ward or ARE as the QB. We need to do something to try and consistently run the ball effectively against the Ravens. I'm scared that we put too much pressure on Ben in games against them and he can't always come through.

Damn, I must be dreaming. We have BA as the coordinator. Well, as Emily Latella would say, Nevermind.

MeetJoeGreene
01-10-2011, 01:39 PM
I don't know about a wishbone, but I would like to see both Redman and Mendy in the backfield for more than an isolated play or 2. Both can catch, Mendy could go outsides, Redman inside, Redman as a lead blocker for Mendy Inside, fake to Redman inside toss to Mendy outside.....

Steel Life
01-10-2011, 01:41 PM
I agree Ike...& it doesn't you have to something really exotic or depart entirely from what you do. Why not come out guns blazing by spreading them out in a hurry-up to throw them off? Or how about running out of the pony formation so they can't key on one guy? It's perfectly fine to keep them off-balance, you don't have to do the same predictable stuff that they've seen a million times...do the unexpected!

Steelgal
01-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Rats fans are saying the same thing about their OC, Cam Cameron. With all the weapons they have on offense and their lack of points this year, they've been complaining most of the season. But yesterday they ran lots of crossing routes over the middle of the field and got nice gains on all of them. Heap had more yards yesterday than any other game this season. I also think I heard the announcers say Heap is the first Ravens receiver that had over 100 yards in a playoff game.

Personally, I think Arians is too stubborn to try something new but I'm hoping he proves me wrong. I like the game against the Rats even less now that their offense was executing yesterday....

Crash
01-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Goodell got one wish, the Eagles are OUT.

You know damn well if Ryan Clark makes that same hit up 5 points late in a playoff game the flag is coming.

Crash
01-10-2011, 02:35 PM
While not perfect, Arians has made numerous adjustments the last two months.

People are just too ignorant to admit them.

msp26505
01-10-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm all for being able to run, but with the exception of a couple of games early in his career, Ben has a GREAT playoff QB. I don't want his role minimized unless we are up by a bunch and running clock.

flippy
01-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Just sent him a letter:

"Dear A-Hole,

How bout doing something original and unexpected on offense?

Your pal,
Flippy"

feltdizz
01-10-2011, 03:42 PM

:Agree

We have seen changes and people are still b!tching.

ikestops85
01-10-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm all for being able to run, but with the exception of a couple of games early in his career, Ben has a GREAT playoff QB. I don't want his role minimized unless we are up by a bunch and running clock.

I'm not saying we run the ball more. Against the Ravens we normally run about 25 times for around 70 yards. I want us to run about the same number of times but for around 125 yards. That would give Ben a huge advantage with the play action pass and hopefully lessen the beating he takes. The Raven games always takes a physical toll on him and I want him healthy going up against NE.

I might be too hard on Arians because he has changed up the offense in the last few weeks of the season. I guess based on his previous track record I don't have a lot of faith in him.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-10-2011, 08:29 PM
After 3 years it appears Bruce finally understands what part of the missing ingredient has been....the short pass. Adding this into our weaponry and getting pretty good at it heading into the playoffs will be the reason we win the Superbowl. That, and Lebeau's adjustment to play more press.

Now if Bruce could just get creative in the redzone a little better.

Which, on another not.....anyone else wonder why in the hell we ran that play with Randle El last week? Seemed like it would of been better to save that for a must have TD rather than in a blowout win over the Browns.

Crash
01-10-2011, 08:39 PM
We ran that same play against the Bengals also. It's not new.

That was to rub it in crybaby Holmgren's face.

feltdizz
01-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Geez... the last 2 weeks we see short passes and people still feel the need to question if BA is too stubborn to keep calling those plays. It's all on Ben to recognize if those throws are there or not and the WR's have to beat their man as well.

I think Ben and BA have stated their reluctance to throw short earlier in the season...

IMO it's a b1tchazz move to keep bashing the OC with the same argument when it's obvious to everyone but a stubborn few that the O has made changes. Why don't we start a thread about Ben holding onto the ball and how fat Casey Hampton is while we are at it. :lol:

SteelAbility
01-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Geez... the last 2 weeks we see short passes and people still feel the need to question if BA is too stubborn to keep calling those plays. It's all on Ben to recognize if those throws are there or not and the WR's have to beat their man as well.

I think Ben and BA have stated their reluctance to throw short earlier in the season...

IMO it's a b1tchazz move to keep bashing the OC with the same argument when it's obvious to everyone but a stubborn few that the O has made changes. Why don't we start a thread about Ben holding onto the ball and how fat Casey Hampton is while we are at it. :lol:

You may be right, but it still remains to be seen what the O can do against a real D and a team that's motivated. They did very well against the Browns, but you still can't tell WHY as the Browns were already out of the playoffs and there is motivation on the players' parts to hold back rather than risk picking up injury in a game that's taking essentially them nowhere.

Plus this O has a long way to go before it proves anything. Panthers. Browns. Good sign. But still not proof of anything yet.

feltdizz
01-11-2011, 12:27 AM
True SteelAbility..... but when have you ever seen us use a short/quick passing game? Browns hardly ever have anything to play for and in 2008 Ben was carted off the field when the Browns had nothing to play for.

I think his game changed and if it's there he will take it. We also have 2 WR's who can get by their defenders and that makes it a lot easier...

SidSmythe
01-11-2011, 07:35 AM
Just sent him a letter:

"Dear A-Hole,

How bout doing something original and unexpected on offense?

Your pal,
Flippy"

HaHa!! :lol:

i would accept a FB as a lead blocker as "original"

The Sodfather
01-11-2011, 07:46 AM

This is absolutely true.

Chadman
01-11-2011, 08:55 AM
If Arians was to incorporate an offense that took the ball out of Ben's hands any more than it currently does- he would be playing away from the teams greatest strength.

If he suddenly put 3 RB's on the field at any one time, he's playing away from the team's strength.

The 'gameplan' isn't the problem.

It's the timing used. Get that right- and there's no more whinging about Arians.

SidSmythe
01-11-2011, 09:14 AM
If Arians was to incorporate an offense that took the ball out of Ben's hands any more than it currently does- he would be playing away from the teams greatest strength.

If he suddenly put 3 RB's on the field at any one time, he's playing away from the team's strength.

The 'gameplan' isn't the problem.

It's the timing used. Get that right- and there's no more whinging about Arians.

That's a valid point but we have to take into consideration about the personel around him. I really don't have a huge problem w/ Arians and his playcalling as much as I do his personel groupings.
Mainly NO BACKS. get rid of No Backs and I'll be happy :stirpot

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-11-2011, 11:59 AM
While we would all like to see some more inventiveness out of our offense, we still must have to remember what we are working behind

LT Jonathan Scott - A backup in due to injury. Play from our most important OL position has been subpar this season

LG Chris Kemoeatu - Only current OL who is a holdover.

C Maurkice Pouncey - Yes, he is having an outstanding rookie season, but he is still new and still inexperienced. I am sure that there are certain limitations when it comes to what we can do with him.

RG Ramon Foster - Below average backup replaced below average starter. Started some last year so we can be generous and call him a holdover if we want to sound like this line is more stable.

RT Flozell Adams - Emergency replacement after our starter went down. A veteran who is a quick learner but still a first year player on this team playing a new position.

So, injuries take out both starting tackles, we have a rookie C, and two below average guards. Add the fact that Ben did not get his full compliment of reps this pre season due to the need to get BL ready for 4 games, and then he was unable to play.

So....a QB who does not get the full opportunity to become more familiar with a second year WR who is moving into the starting role, and a pair of rooks who have since become the third and fourth receivers.

Maybe we should consider that while our offense has not been effective many times this year. It seems that after a delayed progress they finally look like they are starting to mesh (and I don't only say that because they beat up on two garbage teams to end the year).

- Oline seems to be giving Ben more time - although they still can't open holes consistently in the running game (which was supposed to be their strength.

- Wallace has found a rapport with Ben as evidenced by the short pass check off that he was able to take all the way against Carolina.

- Sanders is getting better and better as the #3 receiver. Ben looks like he has found a comfort level with the rook.

- Heath is back healthy which can only help.

- The only players that I have not yet mentioned are Ward and Mendenhall. That is because they are the same guys that they always were and the two constants on this offense from last year through to this year. Ward's production has declined this year (755 yards, his lowest yardage total in a 16 game played season since 2000), but he is still Hines Ward and I don't expect him to go quietly into these playoffs. He has some impact left in that 34 year old body.

Maybe there is the chance that the playbook can open up some in the playoffs. After all, the team is just now starting to get in sync with each other.

hawaiiansteel
01-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Arians speaks

View From The Press Box
January 12th, 2011

Steelers offensive coordintor Bruce Arians touched on a number of subjects today during his weekly Q&A with reporters. Among them were the change to his delivery made by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and the Ravens defense.

Here are excerpts from Arians' chat with reporters:

Q: Do you have to do anything special with Terrell Suggs?

A: “Yeah, you’ve got to block him. I think he’s their best player along with Haloti Ngata and Ed Reed on that team. They’re very good, they’re solid. There’s nothing you can do as far as double teaming him because the rest of the guys are pretty good. Whoever draws his number, which he flips both sides, you’ve got a job.”

Q: Why can’t you double-team him?

A: “You’re not sure what side he’s going to be on. And all the different fronts that they play, he rolls around so you’re wasting time doing that. The guy that’s assigned to him’s got to cinch it up and play hard. There really are no guys on that front that we can say ‘We’re double teaming this guy.’ ”

Q: Mike (Tomlin) said he thought their cornerback play has improved in recent week. Have you seen that?

A: “Lardarius Webb looks like he’s healthy again. He’s coming off the edge some in nickel. He looks like he did before he got hurt and we thought he was a heck of a prospect then. There’s no doubt in the last month or month in a half they’re playing really solid.”

Q: Can you talk about the balance Ben has struck between not forcing throws but also making plays outside of the pocket?

A: “Without jinxing him? Yeah, he’s playing extremely well right now. He’s really into it. The guys around him are playing solid. I think the emergence of the young wide receivers have helped him a bunch. Getting Heath (Miller) back has also helped. He’s playing at a very, very high level.”

Q: How do you explain his success against Ed Reed?

A: “Probably because I beat it into his head, ‘When the ball comes out of your hand, you better know where Ed Reed is,’ and that’s 10 years of going against this guy and the respect that we have for him. Our goal is to shut Ed Reed out because when he gets his hands on it, it’s a touchdown normally, and you cannot give them the football, especially to him.”

Q: Did you talk to Ben before he returned about not trying to do too much?

A: “No, he had such a great offseason and training camp, he was in the best position. When he came back he just played football like he knew how to play. You don’t have to do anything different. As we grow with these young wide receivers we’ll be able to do some things but right now just play the game you know how to play it. He’s been extremely solid all year.”

Q: You said he’s been playing at an extremely high level all year…

A: “As good as I’ve ever been around. I think this has been his best year.”

Q: What’s he doing to make you say that?

A: “Just continuing to grow. The ball comes out quicker. He’s still going to make plays with his feet, he’s still going to take a sack because of that. There have been times when we’ve thrown it away, there have been times when we’ve made some plays down the field. I think one of the best plays he made all year was shaking Suggs off in the game down there and throwing the ball away left-handed. That’s the type of play he can make but just his consistency, his accuracy. He worked extremely hard when he was off on his accuracy and he changed his motion a little bit and it’s paid off for him all season.”

Q: Is he playing the smartest ball of his career?

A: “I don’t think there’s any doubt and it’s something where we never try to put in new plays. We probably haven’t put in a new pass play since he’s come back. We should have plenty of them that we don’t have to change them. As long as he knows what he’s doing and he’s comfortable, I couldn’t be any more comfortable.”

Q: How has he changed his motion?

A: “He’s shortened his delivery. He worked extremely hard with (personal quarterback coach) George Whitfield during that time, and George helped him out fundamentally. It’s kind of like a golfer changing his stroke. It was a minor thing, really, just to get it out of his hand faster.”

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29

RuthlessBurgher
01-13-2011, 10:53 AM

A: “I don’t think there’s any doubt and it’s something where we never try to put in new plays. We probably haven’t put in a new pass play since he’s come back. We should have plenty of them that we don’t have to change them. As long as he knows what he’s doing and he’s comfortable, I couldn’t be any more comfortable.”

Why am I not shocked by this?

flippy
01-13-2011, 01:21 PM

Why am I not shocked by this?

Cause you've seen us play.

Crash
01-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Maybe they haven't put in "new plays", but they are certainly using "old" plays a lot more than they used to with the quick slants, crossing patterns, and the clear outs then dumping the ball to his RBs.

You have to ignore "coach speak", and just watch.

flippy
01-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Maybe they haven't put in "new plays", but they are certainly using "old" plays a lot more than they used to with the quick slants, crossing patterns, and the clear outs then dumping the ball to his RBs.

It's interesting how we've altered our approach a bit on both sides of the ball down the stretch. I wonder why we didn't just wait until the playoffs started?

RuthlessBurgher
01-13-2011, 02:23 PM

But why the hell aren't you installing new plays? In preparation for the Saints game, Seahawks O.C. Jeremy Bates (who several of us on this board stated would be a better O.C. than Arians for the last several years) noticed that Cincy had scored against New Orleans earlier in the year by having a TE initially block down, then pretend to fall, and finally cut across the middle, wide open for a TD. So the Seahawks added that play to their arsenal against the Saints, and it worked again...TD for John Carlson. We should be scouring Ravens film for possible new plays that they are susceptible to that we could add to our offensive arsenal. But, no...we run the same crap that they already know about, since they play us twice a year they have seen everything Arians can possibly throw at them.

Crash
01-13-2011, 02:38 PM
But why the hell aren't you installing new plays?

Again, you have to ignore coach speak.

Do you WANT Arians to announce to the world anything new they are adding?

pittpete
01-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Q: Do you have to do anything special with Terrell Suggs?

A: “Yeah, you’ve got to block him. I think he’s their best player along with Haloti Ngata and Ed Reed on that team. They’re very good, they’re solid. There’s nothing you can do as far as double teaming him because the rest of the guys are pretty good. Whoever draws his number, which he flips both sides, you’ve got a job.”

I loved this response
It basically equates to "if you're going up against a better athlete, suck it up because Im not giving you any help, and watch out for that bus you are going to be under"
:HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger