PDA

View Full Version : Belichick: Jets-Patriots rubber match the “way it should be”

hawaiiansteel
01-09-2011, 10:27 PM
just like us and the Ravens, the way it should be... :tt2

Belichick: Jets-Patriots rubber match the “way it should be”

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 9, 2011, 3:29 PM EST

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/b-belichickheadban.jpg?w=250

While Tom Brady was out in New York, Patriots coach Bill Belichick was enjoying some playoff football.

“That was a pretty exciting game last night,” Belichick said on a conference call via the Boston Herald Sunday.

Belichick believes it’s only appropriate his team faces the Jets again to truly decide who was the best in the division.

“We split with them, and now it’s best two-out-of-three,” Belichick said. “Probably the way it should be. . . . It’s a big challenge for us. I don’t think the last game, the first game, I don’t think that’s going to have a whole lot of meaning.”

We tend to agree. We’re going to hear a lot about 45-3 all week, but that game is irrelevant now. The Patriots have been the better team all year, but they have a lot of inexperience and injuries on defense.

Belichick will surely spend much of the week trying to make his team forget how easily they beat their rivals last time out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... should-be/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/09/belichick-jets-patriots-rubber-match-the-way-it-should-be/)

hawaiiansteel
01-09-2011, 11:01 PM
by the way, the Patriots have opened up as 9 point favorites over the Jets...

Sugar
01-09-2011, 11:03 PM
The Pat's will win by 20. At least.

DukieBoy
01-09-2011, 11:10 PM
And they probably have the tape to prove it.

Sugar
01-09-2011, 11:13 PM
And they probably have the tape to prove it.

To beat the Jet's, they won't need it. This time.

lambertslunatics
01-10-2011, 05:28 AM
s much as id enjoy the steelers beating the cheat-riots in the afc title game, id love ven more to play it at heinz field, so would have to root for the j-e-t-s

Wolfhound45
01-10-2011, 09:00 AM
by the way, the Patriots* have opened up as 9 point favorites over the Jets...

:shock:

Wow! I missed that earlier. LV knows something.

But I am all in.

J-E-T-S, JETS JETS JETS!

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Updated: January 10, 2011, 1:04 PM ET

Rex Ryan challenges Bill Belichick

By Rich Cimini
ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- It's personal -- again. This time, Rex Ryan is out for Bill Belichick.

Calling out one of the most successful coaches in NFL history, the New York Jets' coach delivered an unsolicited rant Monday, admitting he was outcoached by Belichick in last month's blowout and vowing to flip the script in Sunday's AFC divisional playoff game against the New England Patriots.

"This is about Bill Belichick versus Rex Ryan," Ryan said, addressing the upcoming showdown in Foxborough for the first time. "There's no question, it's personal. It's about him against myself. That's what it's going to come down to."

"There's no question, it's personal. It's about him against myself. That's what it's going to come down to.”

-- Rex Ryan on facing Bill Belichick
In terms of football duels, this was the verbal equivalent of a white glove across the face.

Ryan said both teams are even from the standpoint of talent and assistant coaches, and that the rubber game will be decided by his ability to match wits with Belichick. In their last meeting, Dec. 6 in Foxborough, the Jets were humiliated on Monday Night Football 45-3.

"I was outcoached in that game," said Ryan, who also used the "it's personal" line last week in preparation for Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts. "I said it then, I'm saying it now. Belichick, I recognize the fact this is a Hall of Fame coach. He'll go down in history as maybe the greatest football coach in the history of this game, or going to be close to it.

"He was at that level that week and I was not. For whatever reason, I never had my team prepared the way it should've been prepared. That falls right down on me."

Belichick, in a conference call about two hours after Ryan made his comment, took a lighthearted approach.

Jets head coach Rex Ryan's Monday news conference about the win in Indy and the upcoming playoff with the Patriots.

"I might have a little quickness on him, he's probably got a little more strength and power on me," Belichick said. "I don't think you'll see either of us out there making any blocks, or tackles, or runs, throws or catches. At least you won't see me doing that. It's probably a good thing for our team."

Ryan's latest verbal assault, obviously orchestrated, was a variation of his celebrated "rings" rant from last year. A few months after being hired by the Jets, he said he didn't come to New York "to kiss Bill Belichick's rings."

Ryan is 2-2 against Belichick, but his credibility took a big hit last month. A few days before the anticipated showdown, Ryan said he wanted to "kick Belichick's ass." It turned out to be the other way around, as the Jets suffered the second-most lopsided defeat in franchise history.

The Jets were ill-prepared, and Ryan made questionable tactical decisions early in the contest. He wasted a replay challenge on a fourth-and-1 spot, and he let the then-slumping Nick Folk try a 53-yard field goal into swirling winds -- and he missed badly. Defensively, the Jets had no answers for Tom Brady, who passed for 326 yards and four touchdowns.

Clearly, the Jets missed safety Jim Leonhard, the "quarterback" of the secondary. He suffered a season-ending injury three days before the game, a major disruption in their defensive preparation. The Patriots picked on Leonhard's replacement, Eric Smith. Nevertheless, Ryan blamed himself.

"There are chess matches involved every week. It was checkmate," he said. "He definitely outcoached me."

This perhaps was a clever motivational ploy by Ryan to take the heat off his players this week. Instead of being reminded by reporters about how badly they played in the last meeting -- namely, Mark Sanchez, who threw three interceptions -- they will be bombarded with questions about Ryan's challenge.

The players were off Monday and not available to the media.

"This is going to be about me raising my level against Bill Belichick," Ryan said. "I recognize he's the best. I'm just trying to be the best on Sunday, and I plan on being the best coach on Sunday. ... That's what it is. I recognize my level has to come up. He's going to get my best shot. He's going to get everything I have on Sunday. If he slips at all, we're gonna beat him."

Ryan felt the Jets outsmarted themselves in the previous game, installing a game plan that looked good on paper but wasn't realistic. There may be some truth to that because, after playing Thanksgiving, they had 10 full days to prepare for the Patriots, who also played on Thanksgiving. Most teams thrive when given extra time, but the Jets tend to struggle after extended layoffs.

This time, they will use a "ridiculous amount of preparation" to formulate a game plan that doesn't confuse the players, according to Ryan. But he added, "That doesn't mean we're going to dummy it up. You dummy it up against them, and you get crushed."

The Jets won the first meeting in Week 2, 28-14. After the 45-3 debacle, Ryan told Belichick during the postgame handshake they'd meet again.

"I told Belichick after the game, 'We'll see you in Round 3,' " Ryan said. "He just looked at me."

This time, the stakes are huge. The survivor plays the Pittsburgh Steelers-Baltimore Ravens winner for the AFC championship.

"If we win this one, we'll be the same old Jets," Ryan said, "right back in the AFC Championship Game."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/ ... id=6007793 (http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=6007793)

proudpittsburgher
01-10-2011, 04:09 PM
I think this game is going to be a lot closer than the last time the Jets/Pats* squared off. Take the points.

DukieBoy
01-10-2011, 08:26 PM
It'll be the Jets by a foot on Sunday, right Rex?

hawaiiansteel
01-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Updated: January 11, 2011

Bill Belichick: Avoid war of words

By Mike Reiss
ESPNBoston.com

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick reminded his players Tuesday morning to avoid a war of words with the New York Jets.

"Definitely," linebacker Jerod Mayo said when asked if that was part of Belichick's message to players in their morning team meeting. "That's why I'm hoping no one asks me those kinds of questions [laughing]."

Mayo said Belichick told players to let him handle that.

Already this week, Belichick and Jets coach Rex Ryan have exchanged barbs through the media. Ryan called Sunday's game personal between him and Belichick, saying that's what it comes down to -- the two coaches.

Belichick responded by playfully saying it was a good thing the coaches weren't playing.

The Patriots locker room was mostly quiet and business-like Tuesday. Veteran running back Sammy Morris was one of the few players to speak with reporters and described why the team wants to avoid playing the Jets in the press.

"It's talking. We're not really concerned with that," he said. "We're concerned with winning the game and doing what we have to do to win the game."

The scene highlighted the differences between the approach of the Patriots and Jets. Veteran tight end Alge Crumpler stepped in front of the microphone at his news conference and said: "I didn't have a choice to come up here today. I'd just rather play."

Asked about Ryan's remarks and why the Patriots seldom engage in such chatter, Morris said: "It's noise, I guess. It doesn't really go into big parts of winning the game. In our opinion, it's outside the context of the game, and that's what it is."

Crumpler had a similar take.

"I thought we'd get a few days before some of the banter started," he said. "But it is what it is. I said it the last time we played them -- that team takes after their coach, we take after ours. It all boils down to what you do on the field."

Some players, such as receiver Deion Branch, said they hadn't heard of the exchange between Ryan and Belichick until Tuesday.

"Coach [Ryan] says and do what he do, and we do what we do up here," Branch said. "Whatever you have to do to get his team motivated, I think that's what he's [thinking]."

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/ne ... id=6011445 (http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=6011445)

hawaiiansteel
01-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Updated: January 12, 2011

Antonio Cromartie blasts Tom Brady

ESPN.com news services

It didn't take long for Round 3 of Jets-Patriots to escalate. And this time it wasn't Rex Ryan doing the talking.

No, it was Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie, who called Patriots quarterback Tom Brady an "ass----," according to the New York Daily News.

Trust me, they're saying a lot worse about me and others here, maybe it just wasn't printed.

-- Rex Ryan on Cromartie's comments
Cromartie was asked about Brady pointing to the Jets' sideline after throwing a touchdown pass on the first play of the fourth quarter, which gave New England a 38-3 lead in its eventual 45-3 win on Dec. 6.

"We see that a lot. He does it a lot," Cromartie told the Daily News. "That's the kind of guy he is. We really don't give a damn, to tell you the truth."

Asked what kind of guy Brady is, Cromartie said "ass----," according to the Daily News.

Why?

"That's what I think about him. I don't really give a damn about him," he said, according to the report. "I don't have to play against him. I play against the receivers."

In the locker room Wednesday in Foxborough, Brady said: "I've been called worse. I'm sure there is a long list of people that feel that way.

Not everybody has great things to say about our team or organization, or certain players. That's kind of the way it's always been. We're just going to do our talking on the field. That's the way we've always chosen to do.

-- Tom Brady
"But he's a good player. [Darrelle] Revis is a great player. They have a great secondary. They're one of the best defenses we've faced. We spend a lot of time preparing for them, and what they're capable of doing over there. To shut down the Colts' offense like they did is pretty impressive, because we know how good that offense is. We're going to be ready to play."

Asked about his on-field demeanor Dec. 6 that rubbed the Jets the wrong way, Brady said: "I'm an emotional player. It's all in the spirit of the game and the competition."

During a conference call, Ryan said he was unfamiliar with Cromartie's comments and asked media members to fill him in.

"First off, in this country, you're allowed to have opinions, and all that kind of stuff," he responded when told of the remarks. "Obviously, as an organization, we respect Tom Brady, there is no question about it. But hey, is there dislike between us and Brady, and Brady against the Jets? Of course there is.

"Am I going to punish Cromartie for saying something, or whatever? No. I know one thing, we respect New England, but we don't fear them. A comment like that, it's just the fact they're the enemy, as we look at them this week."

Ryan was then asked if he believed those remarks crossed the line from fun trash talk to something else.

"Realistically, I'm sure that's basically what it was, just a comment that he made," Ryan said. "Trust me, they're saying a lot worse about me and others here, maybe it just wasn't printed."

While watching Patriots game film, Cromartie said the Jets have noticed Brady's penchant for pointing.

"He's doing the pointing at our defensive line and stuff like that," Cromartie said, according to the report. "That's the kind of a guy he is. He's a competitor, he loves what he's doing. He's going to compete. When you're competing, you are not worrying about anything else, about what anybody else is doing. You're just worried about what you have to do."

The Jets' Shaun Ellis also said he saw Brady pointing during the Dec. 6 rout, according to the New York Post.

"When they scored, he'd look over to our sideline and do a little body language and all that," Ellis said, according to the Post. "He was fired up for that game. We're going to get the same thing this week. It's for us as a defense to go out there and shut him down."

Cromartie's comments follow Ryan's assertion that Sunday's AFC playoff game is "personal" among him, Brady and Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

Belichick replied that it won't be him or Ryan trying to make plays on the field.

But Ryan did indirectly knock Brady last week during the Jets' preparations for the Indianapolis Colts, saying Brady didn't study game film as much as Colts quarterback Peyton Manning.

"Nobody studies like [Manning]. I know Brady thinks he does and all that stuff," Ryan said. "I think there's probably a little more help from Belichick with Brady than there is with Peyton Manning."

Brady agreed. "I get a ton of help from our coaches," he said during his weekly appearance on Boston sports radio station WEEI. "Of course we do. I think we have the best coach in the history of football. We have a great offensive staff, a great defensive staff that get all the players prepared."

Cromartie isn't the first player to drag the notion of "hate" into the Jets-Patriots rivalry. During the preseason, Brady said he wasn't watching HBO's "Hard Knocks" because he hated the Jets.

"Honestly, I haven't turned it on. I hate the Jets, so I refuse to support that show," Brady said.

On Wednesday, a reporter asked Ryan if he believed players followed his lead and that he incites such remarks. Ryan laughed.

"Yeah, of course," he said. "Maybe they do follow my lead in the fact that in that we can say what's on our mind or whatever. I don't say, 'Whatever we do, don't say this, or don't say that.' We're a transparent organization. We let our guys speak and don't try to tell them what to say or what not to say."

Ryan then was asked if there was a risk in making such remarks, because it could make the Jets look bad if they don't win.

"We're going to be watching somebody else play, so it really doesn't matter. You either win or you don't. In this league, if you don't win, it's over. Your season's over," he said. "To think that a comment here or there is going to incite them to play at a greater level or something like that, I don't believe that's true. ... It doesn't matter what would come out of New England's locker room or anybody else's locker room, because you can't be more motivated than we are, and you can't be more motivated than New England is."

A reporter then asked Ryan if Cromartie's comments are the type that show respect to Brady.

"Again, we're not apologizing for anything," he responded. "Did we vote him to be the starting quarterback in the Pro Bowl? Yes, we did. Did we vote him to win the NFL Player of the Year? Yeah, we did. So there is plenty of respect, but we don't have to be all 'lovey-dovey' and say he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. We have a right to our opinion. A comment like that is no big deal. A guy makes a comment. Big deal."

Brady said he'd stand on his record when it comes to getting ready to play.

"Look, we try to win games, you know?" he said. "You look at what we've accomplished over 10 years, I think that speaks to the preparation of our team. That's why we play, to win games, more than anything else."

Brady said he's not really concerned about all the talk coming from the Jets.

"We're spending our time getting ready to play," he said. "I don't think we're spending our time figuring out what we can do to combat what people may say about us. Not everybody has great things to say about our team or organization, or certain players. That's kind of the way it's always been. We're just going to do our talking on the field. That's the way we've always chosen to do."

When asked if what another team says can have an effect on the outcome of a game, Brady said: "We'll see Sunday at 7:30."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/ ... id=6014092 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=6014092)

RuthlessBurgher
01-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Belichick should counter the Jets' infamous wall of coaches along the sideline during punt coverage by lining up several of his assistants in a similar manner, but tell them to take off their shoes and socks. Then place a big ol' six-foot sub atop their bare feet. Rex won't be able to concentrate for the full 3 hours.

hawaiiansteel
01-14-2011, 09:34 PM
JANUARY 14, 2011

Jets trash-talking comes at a risk

http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/return-of-the-jet-i.jpg

Diane Finley, a sports psychologist and a psychology professor at Prince George’s Community College, has been listening to all the chatter emanating from the New York Jets this week, most of it barbs aimed at the New England Patriots.

She says one possible result of the Jets’ non-stop tirades is that they may have made New England an improbable sentimental favorite around the NFL.

“Everybody else might be rooting for New England when normally they wouldn’t,” Finley said. “Frankly, most fans don’t like when somebody wins all the time. We like winners, but we don’t like winners to win too much. And you’ve got the Tom Brady thing. Fans don’t like when people seem too perfect. The Jets risk putting the sympathy of everybody else onto New England, and I don’t think they did that intentionally.”

Jets coach Rex Ryan probably doesn’t care about perception, but that could change. With all the turmoil the Jets have been through this season – the aftermath of the Brett Favre sex-harassment case, the sideline tripping incident, the poor behavior around a female reporter – they may ultimately get a rebuke from commissioner Roger Goodell. This week, Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie publicly cursed Brady, the Patriots quarterback, in an extension of the ill will that exists between the two teams.

“What’s happening is the Jets, with all the cheating and the Brett Favre thing, they’re starting to get a rep as a thug team,” Finley said. “That’s not necessarily a real positive thing. The commissioner may not care for that. … It seems to me if they want to create that image, they’re doing a really good job. Some of them may want to have that bad-boy image, although I’m not sure why.”

Finley said the psychological games Ryan has been playing of late could indeed backfire in Sunday’s playoff game in Foxboro.

“He’s putting attention on the coaches’ battle, trying to take some of the media focus away from the players and what they didn’t do the last time [against the Patriots],” she said. “That could backfire because then New England players are going to rally around their coach, even if they haven’t always gotten along with him.

“Look at Maryland’s bowl game [last month]. You could tell those players were playing for Ralph [deposed coach Ralph Friedgen]. They weren’t trying to make East Carolina look like an incompetent high school team, which they did.”

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ ... _risk.html (http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/01/jets_trashtalking_comes_at_a_risk.html)

Sugar
01-14-2011, 09:50 PM
The Jets are going to get what's coming to 'em Sunday. While I'd love to see the Jets come to Heinz (providing we can win), the Patriots are a very good team and the Jets? Not so much.