PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NFL Hall of Fame Finalists Announced

Discipline of Steel
01-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Both Bettis and Dawson. How much you want to bet Bettis makes it and Dawson doesnt?

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2011/01/09/2011 ... k3%7C35523 (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2011/01/09/2011-hall-of-fame-finalists-announced/?icid=maing%7Cmain5%7Cdl2%7Csec2_lnk3%7C35523)

2011 NFL Hall of Fame Finalists Announced

A group of 15 modern-era players and contributors were named finalists for the 2011 NFL Hall of Fame class, joining a pair of senior nominees on the ballot. The Hall's selection committee will vote on this year's class on Feb. 5, 2011 in Dallas, one day prior to the Super Bowl.

For a nominee to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, he must earn 80 percent of the committee's vote.

Jerome Bettis, Marshall Faulk, Curtis Martin, Willie Roaf and Deion Sanders -- all in their first year of Hall of Fame eligibility -- were among the finalists. The complete list of 2011 Hall finalists:

Jerome Bettis, RB (1995-93 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 1996-2005 Pittsburgh Steelers)

Tim Brown, WR/KR (1988-2003 Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders, 2004 Tampa Bay Buccaneers)

Cris Carter, WR (1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami Dolphins)

Dermontti Dawson, C (1988-2000 Pittsburgh Steelers)

Richard Dent, DE (1983-1993, 1995 Chicago Bears, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1996 Indianapolis Colts, 1997 Philadelphia Eagles)

Chris Doleman, DE/LB (1985-1993, 1999 Minnesota Vikings, 1994-95 Atlanta Falcons, 1996-98 San Francisco 49ers)

Marshall Faulk, RB (1994-98 Indianapolis Colts, 1999-2005 St. Louis Rams)

Charles Haley, DE/LB (1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers, 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys)

Cortez Kennedy, DT (1990-2000 Seattle Seahawks)

Curtis Martin, RB (1995-97 New England Patriots, 1998-2005 New York Jets)

Andre Reed, WR (1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins)

Willie Roaf, OT (1993-2001 New Orleans Saints, 2002-05 Kansas City Chiefs)

Ed Sabol, Contributor (1964-1995 NFL Films)

Deion Sanders, CB/KR/PR (1989-1993 Atlanta Falcons, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1995-99 Dallas Cowboys, 2000 Washington Redskins, 2004-05 Baltimore Ravens)

Shannon Sharpe, TE (1990-99, 2002-03 Denver Broncos, 2000-01 Baltimore Ravens)

The two senior nominees are: Chris Hanburger, LB (1965-78 Washington Redskins); and Les Richter, LB (1954-62) Los Angeles Rams.

Names like Don Coryell, Roger Craig, Terrell Davis and Ray Guy did not make the cut from the semifinal round to the list of finalists.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

steelz09
01-09-2011, 09:41 PM
I think Bettis should and will get in to the HOF eventually. I just don't know if he'll make it as a 1st ballot guy.

Ozey74
01-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Deon Sanders is the only sure thing on this list to be inducted this year. Dawson should make it, but I don't think he will.

papillon
01-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Nobody should go in until Dawson is elected, period.

Pappy

Discipline of Steel
01-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Deon Sanders is the only sure thing on this list to be inducted this year. Dawson should make it, but I don't think he will.

I cant bear the thought of Meion in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

SteelBucks
01-09-2011, 10:47 PM

Pappy

It's a crime he's not in already.

Wolfhound45
01-09-2011, 11:04 PM

You and me both brother.

Wolfhound45
01-09-2011, 11:07 PM

Pappy

Understatement of the year.

http://www.footballspeakers.com/i/dawson_dermontti.jpg

DukieBoy
01-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Donnie Shell !

Starlifter
01-10-2011, 12:35 AM
i think bus, deon and shannon (ugh) make it this year. that puts a steeler on the final list so dirt will have to wait again only to sooth the sportswriters sense of 'fairness'. figure they take a lineman and I think Dent is probably tops on that list. Add in a senior pick (don't care who) and Ed Sabol who helped make them all rich and that's 6 right there. If they go with 7, add marshall faulk.

there ain't nothing fair about the HOF.

Discipline of Steel
01-10-2011, 09:05 AM

Pappy

Looks kind of like Pouncey :D

RuthlessBurgher
01-10-2011, 11:25 AM

Pappy

Looks kind of like Pouncey :D

A few less tats, though.

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Maurkice+Pouncey+Pittsburgh+Steelers+Practice+Gp_e YlwMe8ml.jpg

I hear that there is a guy down in Gainesville who looks even more like Maurkice... :wink:

papillon
01-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Donnie Shell !

I believe Shell should be in as well; but not before Dawson. When analysts, former players and former coaches talk about Dermonntti Dawson they mention him in the GOAT discussion at his position. Any player that is being recognized in the GOAT discussion shouldn't be on the outside looking in at the and that includes punters (Ray Guy) and kickers (whoever that is).

If you made a big enough name for yourself to be considered GOAT you should be in the HOF. So, until Dawson is enshrined the HOF is rather comical to me, too much emphasis on the skill queers and their stats and ignoring players like Dawson.

Pappy

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-10-2011, 12:53 PM
I loved the Bus as much as anyone but he is not a 1st ballot HOFer. He is a borderline HOFer to begin with and probably makes it because of his personna when all is said and done.

Faulk is the only easy RB choice on that list. He was one of the best - if not the best - for a period of time and was a dual threat. Bettis and Martin are essentially the same guy. Very good RBs that could impact the game, but not that much above the pack.

And Dawson is an easy choice and an unfortunate omission to this point. He was clearly the best in his time and one of the greatest ever.

DukieBoy
01-10-2011, 08:13 PM

You and me both brother.
Overhyped, overblown, overrated, overstated.

DukieBoy
01-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Donnie Shell !

I believe Shell should be in as well; but not before Dawson. When analysts, former players and former coaches talk about Dermonntti Dawson they mention him in the GOAT discussion at his position. Any player that is being recognized in the GOAT discussion shouldn't be on the outside looking in at the and that includes punters (Ray Guy) and kickers (whoever that is).

If you made a big enough name for yourself to be considered GOAT you should be in the HOF. So, until Dawson is enshrined the HOF is rather comical to me, too much emphasis on the skill queers and their stats and ignoring players like Dawson.

Pappy
I follow your truth, Pap, both about Dirt and the overhyped. I just can't see Donnie Shell not even mentioned in the HOF talk. His resume is complete, and as good or better than most of the safeties already in the HOF, including the Rings. So I have to raise his name.

RuthlessBurgher
01-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Donnie Shell !

Pappy
I follow your truth, Pap, both about Dirt and the overhyped. I just can't see Donnie Shell not even mentioned in the HOF talk. His resume is complete, and as good or better than most of the safeties already in the HOF, including the Rings. So I have to raise his name.

You are eligible for enshrinement 5 years after retirement, and then can be on the regular ballot for (I believe) 15 years after that. After that, the only way to get in without a ticket is to be nominated by the Seniors Committee.

Swannie and Stallworth just snuck in under the wire before their regular eligibility was due to expire. I think that the time has already elapsed for Donnie Shell and L.C. Greenwood. If either ever make the Hall, they would have to be nominated by the Seniors Committee.

drprwnap
01-11-2011, 10:40 AM
I loved the Bus as much as anyone but he is not a 1st ballot HOFer. He is a borderline HOFer to begin with and probably makes it because of his personna when all is said and done.

WOW! I'm not going to argue the 1st ballot comment. BUT, borderline HOFer? :wft
You're kidding, right? Bussy ran for 13,662 yards in his career. That's good enough to crack the top 10 running backs in NFL HISTORY and he's "borderline HOFer"- I say again :wft .
The HOF would be a pretty empty building if you were voting on members!

aggiebones
01-11-2011, 11:48 AM
In the age of throwing, the Bus climbed up to 5 all time in rushing yards and TDs.
He deserves and will get in...just not this year.
My figuring is they will take:
1 WR like players - Sharpe
1 RB - Faulk
1 senior - Sabol
1 OL - Dawson or Roaf (Roaf 11 time pro bowl)
Sanders for sure
1 DL - Dent, Haley, Kennedy
Maybe they take 1 more wild card, either a WR or older player

Bettis likely next year with Roaf
Dawson should get in this year.
If not then Dawson next year and maybe Bettis the following year.

RuthlessBurgher
01-11-2011, 01:25 PM
In the age of throwing, the Bus climbed up to 5 all time in rushing yards and TDs.
He deserves and will get in...just not this year.
My figuring is they will take:
1 WR like players - Sharpe
1 RB - Faulk
1 senior - Sabol
1 OL - Dawson or Roaf (Roaf 11 time pro bowl)
Sanders for sure
1 DL - Dent, Haley, Kennedy
Maybe they take 1 more wild card, either a WR or older player

Bettis likely next year with Roaf
Dawson should get in this year.
If not then Dawson next year and maybe Bettis the following year.

Ed Sabol is not a senior candidate. As a contributor, he is lumped in with the 14 modern era players on the ballot, which is sort of dumb (when voting, they really should keep players separate from coaches, owners, commissioners, and other contributors, since the criteria are so different, but they don't). The maximum number of modern-era candidates that can be elected is 5 out of those 15 candidate (you are suggesting that 6 modern-era candidates get in, which can't happen). The total class could possibly be 7 if both Senior nominees (Chris Hanburger and Les Richter) are enshrined as well.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-11-2011, 03:38 PM

WOW! I'm not going to argue the 1st ballot comment. BUT, borderline HOFer? :wft
You're kidding, right? Bussy ran for 13,662 yards in his career. That's good enough to crack the top 10 running backs in NFL HISTORY and he's "borderline HOFer"- I say again :wft .
The HOF would be a pretty empty building if you were voting on members!

Bettis was a very good player but never was he a top three player in the league. His career average is 3.9 YPC. He also does not have that signature moment that makes him stand out beyond his numbers.

How about Curtis Martin? Is he an automatic? They stack up very similarly. Take a look:

Yards:

Bettis 13,662
Martin 14,101

YPC:

Bettis 3.9
Martin 4.0

TDs:

Bettis 94
Martin 102

Pro Bowls:

Bettis 6
Martin 5

All Pro:

Bettis 2 + 1 second team
Martin 2 + 1 second team

Seasons:

Bettis 14
Martin 11

Both Bettis and Martin played well beyond the length of time of most RBs. While that is a great accomplishment it does not mean that either were great players. I put Marshall Faulk in ahead of both of them in a heartbeat. Not saying that he won't or shouldn't get in, I'm just saying that he may have to wait until a year comes when there aren't "the best of his day" type players on the ballot.