PDA

View Full Version : Nnamdi Asomugha free agent

anger 82&95
01-09-2011, 01:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6004943
Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha's contract voided and he will be allowed to become a free agent without the Oakland Raiders being able to use their franchise tag on him, according to an NFL Players Association document. Asomugha’s deal included a little-known clause that said his contract would void if he didn’t achieve his not-likely-to-be-earned incentives in 2010 -- and he didn'’t. His contract also contained a stipulation that if he didn’t achieve his incentives, the Raiders would agree not to designate him their franchise or transition player. To achieve his incentives, Asomugha had to play in a greater number of defensive plays in 2010 than he did in 2009, and this season Asomugha played in only 14 games whereas he played in all 16 in 2009. He also could have achieved his incentives by improving upon on his interceptions, fumble recoveries or sacks this season -- but he didn't have any interceptions, fumble recoveries or sacks this season. He will be the top defensive player available whenever free agency begins.

hawaiiansteel
01-09-2011, 01:55 PM
and Asomugha is only 30, he will undoubtedly become one of the highest-paid
defensive players in NFL history whenever free agency starts up again...it just won't be with the Steelers.

chiken
01-09-2011, 01:57 PM
wow who signs that deal? How in the heck was he suppose to get more interceptions than last year when everybody knows not to throw to his side..

aggiebones
01-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Gonna be crazy bidding. At that time, the Steelers will grab some solid player that will help us get deep into the playoffs.

Djfan
01-09-2011, 02:21 PM
wow who signs that deal? How in the heck was he suppose to get more interceptions than last year when everybody knows not to throw to his side..

Al Davis. 'Nough said.

hawaiiansteel
01-09-2011, 02:27 PM
wow who signs that deal?

Al Davis. 'Nough said.

have you seen Al Davis lately? he looks absolutely horrid, as long as he stays involved with the Raiders' decision-making the franchise will suffer for it.

http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/davisscary.jpg

Djfan
01-09-2011, 02:30 PM
That's been true for a long time HS. He is really out of touch.

rockonsteel
01-09-2011, 03:50 PM
He will be a Dallas Cowgirl. Watch.

Rockon

ikestops85
01-09-2011, 03:57 PM
He will be a Dallas Cowgirl. Watch.

Rockon

or a Washington Deadskin 8)

RuthlessBurgher
01-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Nnamdi would make a perfect Steeler. A shutdown corner (which we desperately need), a guy who is willing to offer run support (which we require our corners to do), a smart guy (a Berkeley graduate who was involved with President Clinton's Global Initiative; his parents both have doctorate and his siblings are working on graduate degrees as well), and an impressive philanthropist (chairman of a foundation which helps widows and orphans in Nigeria and he personally takes groups of kids from rough neighborhoods in the Bay Area on nationwide trips to prestigious universities give them options to work toward).

I would absolutely love to find some way, any way, to get this guy on board, since I think he would flourish even more in our organization as opposed to that motley crew in Oakland, but alas, I expect that the Joneses or Snyders will unfortunately give him a Godfather offer that would not be prudent to match with a salary cap on the way back once a new CBA is reached.

hawaiiansteel
01-09-2011, 04:43 PM
if we signed Asomugha we most likely wouldn't be able to re-sign Ike Taylor or LaMarr Woodley...is that a trade we would be willing to make?

D Rock
01-09-2011, 05:08 PM
if we signed Asomugha we most likely wouldn't be able to re-sign Ike Taylor or LaMarr Woodley...is that a trade we would be willing to make?

I would.

ramblinjim
01-09-2011, 05:21 PM
.......that would be a tempting scenario but I think the only way something like that would work would be if the player came to the ROoney's and said "I want to be a Steeler."

feltdizz
01-09-2011, 05:32 PM

I would.

I wouldn't... what good is an over priced lock-down corner in a zone blitz D?

We don't need the best CB's in the game to have a dominant D.. we just need slightly better DB's than McFadden and Gay.

I would love to have lock down DB's but the way our D is set up we need DL and LB's

RuthlessBurgher
01-09-2011, 06:03 PM

Nnamdi is better than Ike...and a year younger too.

MeetJoeGreene
01-09-2011, 06:23 PM
I would have him for a big, but not unreasonable contract.

If he wants all kinds of screwball provisions like in his current contract, then no way.

If it just a big contract.. then I would be willing to entertain.

steelblood
01-09-2011, 06:34 PM
He's made a ton of money. Maybe now he'd like to be reasonable and play for a winner.

hawaiiansteel
01-09-2011, 08:22 PM
according to STATS LLC Asomugha was targeted on just 33 pass attempts this season, allowing only 13 completions for 205 yards with no touchdowns.

that's a pretty darn good stat for a CB! :Clap

Wolfhound45
01-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Nnamdi would make a perfect Steeler. A shutdown corner (which we desperately need), a guy who is willing to offer run support (which we require our corners to do), a smart guy (a Berkeley graduate who was involved with President Clinton's Global Initiative; his parents both have doctorate and his siblings are working on graduate degrees as well), and an impressive philanthropist (chairman of a foundation which helps widows and orphans in Nigeria and he personally takes groups of kids from rough neighborhoods in the Bay Area on nationwide trips to prestigious universities give them options to work toward).

Wow! I did not know that about him! Have to agree, he has "Steeler" written all over him. Anyone on our team have any ties to him?

Wolfhound45
01-09-2011, 11:18 PM
He's made a ton of money. Maybe now he'd like to be reasonable and play for a winner.

Maybe he will give us the "winner" discount?

:P

D Rock
01-10-2011, 12:02 AM
has any player ever been more highly regarded without stats to show what he does, barring Olinemen?

I guess in this case that fact that he doesn't have stats is the only stat he needs.

14 games played, 19 tackles, 0 INTs, and 6 passes defensed.

He must just be a special teams guy who gets some work in the dime defense...
:wink:

Chadman
01-10-2011, 02:59 AM
So what? Replace Ike for Nnamdi?

Why?

Just draft a CB to be the next 'shut down CB'- it's a cheaper way to get a CB to play 10 yards off the WR.

Chadman is more than a little willing to give Crezdon Butler a go, and draft a 'top 3 round CB' to slot into the DB squad.

flippy
01-10-2011, 09:26 AM
I'd love to have him, but suspect he'll end up with the Jets or Pats.

This kid's got better character than Polamalu. He's got Steeler written all over him. Too bad we can't afford him.