PDA

View Full Version : Another choke job by the GREAT ONE !

Steelhere10
01-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Manning the biggest choker of this NFL.

steelfin
01-09-2011, 12:11 AM
Exactly how did he choke in that game?

Irongut
01-09-2011, 12:12 AM
Somebody didn't watch the game.

BURGH86STEEL
01-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Difficult to place that loss on one player. There were many factors that contributed to that loss.

steelfin
01-09-2011, 12:14 AM
Not sure who you are implying didnt watch the game...

The Indy defense and ST lost that game...

feltdizz
01-09-2011, 12:14 AM
Letting the Jets drive down to the 10 yard line in 30 seconds is choking?

Irongut
01-09-2011, 12:15 AM

Whoever started the thread clearly didn't watch the game.

grotonsteel
01-09-2011, 12:15 AM
How about scoring a TD for a change instead??

grotonsteel
01-09-2011, 12:17 AM

Seriously???

Would you blame Steelers Defense if Steelers lost with the same score????

steelfin
01-09-2011, 12:20 AM
Not normally...:-)

But in this particular case, yes....

Did you watch the game?

The Indy defense gave up two long TD drives in the second half that ate up huge chunks of clock. PM was on the sideline for the majority of the second half.

To top it off, the ST gives up a huge KO return on the last drive of the game.

Get a grip.

feltdizz
01-09-2011, 12:21 AM

Seriously???

I would if they lost in that fashion...

I don't care what the score is... when you are up with 1 minute left and let the other team run the kick back to the 50 and march up to the 10 it's the ST and D's fault.

SteelBucks
01-09-2011, 12:24 AM

Huh? Manning drove down the field and put them in position for what should have been the game winning FG. It's not his fault the ST and defense couldn't hold the lead.

grotonsteel
01-09-2011, 12:24 AM

Seriously???

I don't care what the score is... when you are up with 1 minute left and let the other team run the kick back to the 50 and march up to the 10 it's the ST and D's fault.

Well you are in a minority then.....

There are many people who blame BA and Steelers Offense for last season meltdown...when opponents scored last min TD.

steelfin
01-09-2011, 12:27 AM
Let's not bring up this discussion...

The Steeler defense has been in the top 5 for several years....

The offense, well...not so much.

How about we just agree that it is a team sport and it takes effort from all 3 phases of the game to win.

Irongut
01-09-2011, 12:27 AM
How about scoring a TD for a change instead??

I would imagine Peyton preferred not to kick or punt a few times.

Caldwell seems to lack a jimmy or a set of balloons.

Steelgal
01-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Life is gonna be GREAT here in Indiana this week. Have to make sure my Steeler gear is washed and ready to go to wear all week :lol:

grotonsteel
Let's not bring up this discussion...

The Steeler defense has been in the top 5 for several years....

The offense, well...not so much.

How about we just agree that it is a team sport and it takes effort from all 3 phases of the game to win.

I agree with the last statement but that is usually not the case if Steelers would have lost 17-16.

Steelhere10
Is a choke job because all season long you pass for 300yds+ but as soon as you reach the post season you have your lowest output. Btw its nothing new for the choke artist. Even when he won a SB, he threw 6int during the playoffs and won because of both rb. But yet he gets the SB MVP.

grotonsteel
01-09-2011, 12:32 AM
Is a choke job because all season long you pass for 300yds+ but as soon as you reach the post season you have your lowest output. Btw its nothing new for the choke artist. Even when he won a SB, he threw 6int during the playoffs and won because of both rb. But yet he gets the SB MVP.

+1

feltdizz
01-09-2011, 12:32 AM

Seriously???

Well you are in a minority then.....

There are many people who blame BA and Steelers Offense for last season meltdown...when opponents scored last min TD.

I was routinely bashed for blaming the D last year?

I was called every name under the sun because I defended BA in those circumstances.

NJ-STEELER
01-09-2011, 01:04 AM
can you imagine all the blame Ben and Bruce would be getting for failing on four or five 3rd and 1s

grotonsteel
01-09-2011, 01:08 AM
can you imagine all the blame Ben and Bruce would be getting for failing on four or five 3rd and 1s

:Agree

And i know quite a few people would say Ben never checkdown hence they failed to convert/score more points...

NJ-STEELER
01-09-2011, 01:11 AM
or like when experts come on here and say, but but but ben had so and so open in the mniddle (all the while trying to avoid a DL)

they showed one of those failed conversions in the 1st half where pey pey went to the short receiver on an out and had garson 2 step in back of cromartie for an easy TD.

eniparadoxgma
01-09-2011, 01:15 AM

Huh? Manning drove down the field and put them in position for what should have been the game winning FG. It's not his fault the ST and defense couldn't hold the lead.

:Agree That's what I saw. Reminded me of our 4th quarter D last year.

BURGH86STEEL
01-09-2011, 01:16 AM

Didn't help that the Colts special teams gave up a big return.

eniparadoxgma
01-09-2011, 01:21 AM

Didn't help that the Colts special teams gave up a big return.

True.

pick6
01-09-2011, 01:23 AM
Peyton is a smug, pompous, and arrogant punk. I thoroughly enjoyed the look on his face as they lost. Only thing better was the pick 6 in the superbowl. He's supposed to be the best ever but he is 9-10 in the playoffs. Come on maaaannnnn!!! And this is the thing that I can't stand about his type, this 6-4 225 man drops to the ground like a sack of potatoes if he even thinks that he might get touched. This is COWARDICE, gentleman and I will never respect someone like this. Everybody on his team is taking hits and suffering the pain and this guy drops to the ground repeatedly, then his worshippers in the press box back up this wuss by saying that this is all a part of his superior intelligence. He wants it EASY or not at all. And he would have Zero superbowls if it were not for the fact that he went against the terrible Rex grossman, the worst quarterback in superbowl history. One golden boy down, one more to go.

hawaiiansteel
01-09-2011, 02:24 AM
I have no particular love for Peyton, but he was 18/26 for 225 yds with 1 TD and no Ints and a passer rating of 108.7

Indy's defense at the end is what choked, not Peyton...he put his team into position to win and his defense couldn't hold it for him.

Starlifter
01-09-2011, 03:19 AM
we can break down this game in many ways and try to assign blame - but I think when evaluating peyton's career you have to look at the body of work. stat monster without a doubt. a great QB who works hard, studies tons of film and will tear you apart - during the regular season. during the playoffs, has he ever had a stunning, blow-out type of performance? In the manning era:

1999 one and done
2000 one and done
2001 missed
2002 one and done
2003 finally some wins but loses in horrible fashion in the AFCC to the pats
2004 lost to pats in divisional round.
2005 one and done
2006 finally a SB victory for peyton. woooooo! (props though for a great game against the pats for the AFCC)
2007 one and done
2008 one and done
2009 make the SB.
2010 one and done

he has won 9 games in 20 playoff appearances. only in 2003/04 was his rating in the playoffs above 100. His superbowl run was arguably his worse stretch with regards to rating and stats.

Now I like to look at the overall picture. what I see is that for 16 weeks you want peyton as your QB. when it's time to nut up - well, I think the numbers speak for themselves. Last question for the apologists. no doubt the jets have a pretty good defense. you think they hold the pats to 16 on their home field???

fordfixer
01-09-2011, 04:11 AM
Life is gonna be GREAT here in Indiana this week. Have to make sure my Steeler gear is washed and ready to go to wear all week :lol:
:lol: :lol: :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

anger 82&95
01-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Roethlisberger has been criticized this year for sub-par passing performances against first tier defenses. This subjective classification process should also apply to the sacrosanct Gatorade guy.

snarky
01-09-2011, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't necessarily call it a choke job; but it's hard to ignore the fact that with one more first down, Vinatieri's kick wins the game. There would have been no time left for the Jets.

Ozey74
01-09-2011, 11:23 AM
The biggest choker in this game is Caldwell. Calling that time out in the 4th quarter was stupid. Had he not stopped the clock, the Jets were going to run the ball one more time to position the kicker to try a 50ish yard FG.

chiken
01-09-2011, 11:50 AM
I too agree with Peyton Choking this game because he is basically the offensive coordinator on the field. He checked into a ton of "running" plays last night that didn't work.

Not picking up those 4or5 3rd & 1's killed him. The offense under performed and he is the head of the offense. He doesn't have a B.A. to blame.

16 points in a game is not going to get it done unless you are built to play tough defense. The colts are not built that way.. When you pay that much to the offense you cant expect for your defense to be much more than what they have, year in and year out.

Steelhere10
01-09-2011, 12:05 PM
I too agree with Peyton Choking this game because he is basically the offensive coordinator on the field. He checked into a ton of "running" plays last night that didn't work.

Not picking up those 4or5 3rd & 1's killed him. The offense under performed and he is the head of the offense. He doesn't have a B.A. to blame.

16 points in a game is not going to get it done unless you are built to play tough defense. The colts are not built that way.. When you pay that much to the offense you cant expect for your defense to be much more than what they have, year in and year out. Money ! He gets so much praise for checking out of plays etc. He should get the blame for choking. :tt2

ALLD
01-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Manning choked and everybody else around him was inept. He needed a first down or TD to ice the game and all they got were 3 from Vinateiri. The dude choked as a Volunteer and got credit for one SB win like BB did in 2005, despite his performance.

Crash
01-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Peyton's 2006 post season was dreadful.

Not a peep from his media pals.

tiproast
01-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Peyton's 2006 post season was dreadful.

Not a peep from his media pals.
Well, you're judging things by Steelers standards.

3 TDs and 7 INTs is pretty good when your name is Peyton Manning and your team is in the playoffs. :D

aggiebones
01-09-2011, 02:05 PM
I'm by no means a Manning apologist by trade, but saying he choked in this game is ignorant.
He took the lead with 1+ minutes with pinpoint precision on the last drive. His last pass of the night was a dropped first down pass. Not much he can do about that. He called a very good game and put his team in position to win. You can't just say, Manning should have given his team a 9pts lead with no time remaining. The Jets are pretty stingy and his team has limitations now. His defense nutted against a very immature QB in Sanchez. Who cares frankly. Not sure why everyone gets up in arms when a good QB gets accolades. He's not as big of a douche as Brady. Does things the right way in comparison to most NFLers. He works very hard.

Crash
01-09-2011, 02:06 PM
16 points at home against a #6 seed isn't good enough.

Period.

hawaiiansteel
01-09-2011, 03:17 PM
not sure why, but I do get happy when Peyton makes his little pouting baby-face... :D

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/456142/manningfacejagssbn.jpghttp://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Peyton+Manning+San+Diego+Chargers+v+Indianapolis+f uBaBpLK-bgl.jpg

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-10-2011, 12:29 PM
After the 2 minute mark of the second Q (on what was a beautiful throw) the QB took them into opposing territory several times and never came away with anything but FGs. Leading them into the EZ would have sewn up this game early but too many points were left on the field.

I have seen Ben blamed on this argument countless times, even in games that have seen numerous drops including in the EZ.

Another thing that I find interesting is that so many apologists consider PM an MVP candidate because of all of the injuries that the Colts sustained on offense. Let us look what they have there after injuries....Reggie Wayne is a bonafide #1, Garcon looks to be a decent #2 and Tamme does not look bad as a TE. Not a great receiving corps, but I would at least say that they are average when you look around the league. My big question is were these same people who are arguing that PM cannot be expected to succeed with only an average group also downplaying his successes when he had receivers such a Marvin Harrison - a star, Reggie Wayne - a #1 who only had to deal with #2 attention, and Dallas Clark - a top 5 TE?

feltdizz
01-10-2011, 12:55 PM
If people say Ben is unfairly blamed for RZ failures due to XYZ blaming another QB for XYZ holds no water.

Crash
01-10-2011, 12:58 PM
If people say Ben is unfairly blamed for RZ failures due to XYZ blaming another QB for XYZ holds no water.

But doesn't Manning RUN their offense and call the majority of plays?

Ben doesn't.

flippy
01-10-2011, 01:13 PM
I gotta say, I hate the double standard for guys like Peyton and Brees versus Ben.

Everyone talks about how amazing Peyton and Drew are for overcoming a complete lack of running game, yet Ben gets no respect for having to overcome no running game or protection.

I'd love to see Peyton and Drew have to wait behind our line for Hines, ARE, Miller, etc get separation. They wouldn't last a week in Pittsburgh. Ben would dominate with their WRs.

Crash
01-10-2011, 02:02 PM
And playing in domes all year.

Brees' SB run was a fluke.

His last 4 years: No playoffs, no playoffs, SB, one and done. Brees' also lost one and done as a #2 seed in 2004. Ben went to the AFC title game the same season.

Ben: One and done, SECOND RING, no playoffs, ?