PDA

View Full Version : and THAT'S why I wanted to play Indy...

Starlifter
01-09-2011, 12:04 AM
friggin choke artists. get the lead with 50 seconds left. allow a huge return and then let sanchez work it down the field. heck the colts even called timout to allow new york to save one for the end. wow.

grotonsteel
01-09-2011, 12:09 AM
Hahaha...Peyton Manning is the biggest choke artist...

Now there will be Top-10 excuses on ESPN why Peyton scored only 1 TD...

feltdizz
01-09-2011, 12:16 AM

I don't think anyone expected Manning to throw for 3 TD's vs the Jets...

I thought he did enough to win but the ST's and D didn't seal the deal.

LordVile
01-09-2011, 12:18 AM

Lets make a list of the top ten excuses for manning..

#1 The O-Line didn't block for him :stirpot

grotonsteel
01-09-2011, 12:20 AM

Excuse #2

Colts Defense give 17 points to Jets....that is way too much to overcome for one of the best QB ever played this game (supposedly)

Crash
01-09-2011, 12:38 AM
Excuse #3 We had "communication problems".

feltdizz
01-09-2011, 12:41 AM

Excuse #2

Colts Defense give 17 points to Jets....that is way too much to overcome for one of the best QB ever played this game (supposedly)

so if we win next week 7-3 it's a choke job by Ben and the offense?

Crash
01-09-2011, 12:44 AM

How do you choke if you win?

What it would be is a poor performance by the offense, and the defense saved their a$s.

feltdizz
01-09-2011, 12:50 AM

What it would be is a poor performance by the offense, and the defense saved their a$s.
:D bad question...

My point is any QB who drives down to take the lead and loses due to ST's and D didn't choke regardless of the point total.

NJ-STEELER
01-09-2011, 12:58 AM
#4... "we didn't convert four or five 3rd and 1s cause our secondary was decimated"

grotonsteel
01-09-2011, 01:13 AM
#4... "we didn't convert four or five 3rd and 1s cause our secondary was decimated"

:lol:

Excuse #5

Even though Reggie Wayne was open couple of times on critical downs Peyton could not see him because of the glare in the background

papillon
01-09-2011, 01:30 AM
"We had pass protection issues" or something to that affect, I can't remember the exact quote after the 2005 loss. :P

Pappy

Starlifter
01-09-2011, 02:59 AM
look, no argument peyton put up the go ahead score with less than a minute to play. ST's and defense failed to hold. having said that, I've always said the colts invest too much money in one player. I don't know what the ratio is but there's only so much money to go around. they have one impact player (freeney) on defense. bob sanders is great when healthy but he hasn't been very lately. You have to ask yourself why year in and year out the colts make noise but never seal the deal. their one superbowl is a testament to 'a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut'. I mean, rex grossman for chrissakes. If peyton gave up 20 million the colts might find enough money to get a few more impact players. you know, the kind needed to stop a sophomore QB with a playoff game on the line......

frankthetank1
01-09-2011, 10:03 AM

:D bad question...

My point is any QB who drives down to take the lead and loses due to ST's and D didn't choke regardless of the point total.

you are right it wasnt a choke job by peyton. he has pulled plenty of those in his career. for instance the game against the pats this year was a choke job. now peytons playoff record is under .500. that is pathetic. he can have huge numbers but that is a glaring stat. i will take ben and his playoff record any day over peyton.

i am really dissapointed the colts lost. now the pats have a free ticket to the afc championship game. i wanted the steelers to play the colts and ravens playing the pats. now i really hope the chiefs win

SteelAbility
01-09-2011, 10:45 AM
I'll make an excuse for Manning, a legitimate one. It's called Darelle Revis absolutely shutting down #1 WR Reggie Wayne. One catch. One yard. There's your excuse.

Ozey74
01-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Excuse #6

Archie didn't give him a hug before the game.

chiken
01-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Offensively on their last drive, why didn't they slow it down after they threw the ball into field goal range.. You would think that after you got the ball over the 50 they would have slowed it down and played the clock a little more. They stayed in that super-up tempo mode which actually benefited the Jets.
That didn't make any sense to me.. They could have forced the Jets to use more time outs and left them with less time on the clock.

Ghost
01-09-2011, 12:53 PM
There is a difference between 'could have played better' and 'choking'. Could Manning have played better - sure, convert some 3rd downs, get a TD instead of a FG, get one more 1st down at the end. But he DID give his team the lead with less than a minute to play after having them in the lead for most of the game. There's almost nothing more you can ask of your QB. He had a 108 passer rating. He didn't choke. The ST choked when they needed 1 tackle. The D chocked when they allowed the Jets to march right up the field into chip shot range.

As for playing Indy - earlier in the week Trent Dilfer mentioned if the Colts won and went to Pittsburgh there was no way they beat the Steelers. After watching yesterday - he was right. I think the Steelers would have handled the Colts on both sides of the ball. I'm sad we are not playing them.

NJ-STEELER
01-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Offensively on their last drive, why didn't they slow it down after they threw the ball into field goal range.. You would think that after you got the ball over the 50 they would have slowed it down and played the clock a little more. They stayed in that super-up tempo mode which actually benefited the Jets.
That didn't make any sense to me.. They could have forced the Jets to use more time outs and left them with less time on the clock.

yep

another F up from peyton

RuthlessBurgher
01-09-2011, 03:41 PM
This particular game was not a choke job per se, but it is yet another playoff game in which the explosive Colts offense under Peyton Manning was unable to score 20 points.

In 19 playoff starts for Manning, the high-flying Colts have scored less than 20 points TEN TIMES. Manning's record in the playoffs is 9-10. For a team that has double digit wins in 11 out of the last 12 seasons to have a losing record in the playoffs is the opposite of clutch. He'll have his great numbers, but he's not the guy you'd pick first when the all chips are on the table and the pressure is on.

In 10 playoffs starts for Roethlisberger, the plodding Steelers have NEVER scored less than 20 points. Roethlisberger's record in the playoffs is 8-2. The Steelers have been a successful regular season team for sure, but to actually improve your win percentage to 80% during the playoffs against the best of the best is the definition of clutch. He may not have Peyton's records, but I'll take Ben when the game is on the line.

ikestops85
01-09-2011, 03:48 PM
I think it is funny that people are saying Peyton led a drive to give the Colts the lead at the end. They had to make a 50 yard FG to take that lead. Now granted that gives his team a shot and they have one of the most clutch kickers in NFL history but I don't think it was that good of a drive. He got very lucky in my mind that the kick was good.

Peyton had the type of game I would expect out of a QB like Flacco or Cassel. Certainly not the type from someone ballyhooed as one of the greatest in the game.

Starlifter
01-09-2011, 03:58 PM
I think it is funny that people are saying Peyton led a drive to give the Colts the lead at the end. They had to make a 50 yard FG to take that lead. Now granted that gives his team a shot and they have one of the most clutch kickers in NFL history but I don't think it was that good of a drive. He got very lucky in my mind that the kick was good.

Peyton had the type of game I would expect out of a QB like Flacco or Cassel. Certainly not the type from someone ballyhooed as one of the greatest in the game.

excellent point and something else to consider after hearing peyton after the game. he said they knew they were in FG range and wanted to make a first down. fair enough but why not have a run throw option where if the pass wasn't there (and he really forced that throw) then at least run for 2 more yards, burn clock or make the jets use a timeout. indy's last series was horrible.

Discipline of Steel
01-09-2011, 07:01 PM
look, no argument peyton put up the go ahead score with less than a minute to play. ST's and defense failed to hold. having said that, I've always said the colts invest too much money in one player. I don't know what the ratio is but there's only so much money to go around. they have one impact player (freeney) on defense. bob sanders is great when healthy but he hasn't been very lately. You have to ask yourself why year in and year out the colts make noise but never seal the deal. their one superbowl is a testament to 'a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut'. I mean, rex grossman for chrissakes. If peyton gave up 20 million the colts might find enough money to get a few more impact players. you know, the kind needed to stop a sophomore QB with a playoff game on the line......

I think that was probably true last year and before but the Dolts have slipped this year and would need more than one or two more premium players IMHO. Peytons window is closing??

SteelAbility
01-09-2011, 08:21 PM
This particular game was not a choke job per se, but it is yet another playoff game in which the explosive Colts offense under Peyton Manning was unable to score 20 points.

In 19 playoff starts for Manning, the high-flying Colts have scored less than 20 points TEN TIMES. Manning's record in the playoffs is 9-10. For a team that has double digit wins in 11 out of the last 12 seasons to have a losing record in the playoffs is the opposite of clutch. He'll have his great numbers, but he's not the guy you'd pick first when the all chips are on the table and the pressure is on.

In 10 playoffs starts for Roethlisberger, the plodding Steelers have NEVER scored less than 20 points. Roethlisberger's record in the playoffs is 8-2. The Steelers have been a successful regular season team for sure, but to actually improve your win percentage to 80% during the playoffs against the best of the best is the definition of clutch. He may not have Peyton's records, but I'll take Ben when the game is on the line.

All of that is because Ben is merely "competent." :roll:

:lol:

NJ-STEELER
01-10-2011, 04:26 PM

people out of the colts camp are saying on their last incompletion, white should have ran the route 2 yards shallower..
that would have made the pass chest high instead of down by the groud

proudpittsburgher
01-11-2011, 11:19 AM

Peyton didn't want to throw the short-hop to Blair White. He was indecided as to if he wanted to hit him in the chest with the pass or just fall to the ground to avoid being hit, and roll into the fetal position. He knew a hit was coming within three seconds and, well, always be prepared, right? :roll: Defend Peyton all you want . . . he is a hall of famer, but his playoff appearances are not going to get him into the hall of fame . . . his regular- season padded stats, however, are. If you want to refute that, go back to his record-setting TD season a few years ago. See how many of those passes occurred when the Colts were up in the fourth quarter by 21. He had a few.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-11-2011, 11:26 AM

The Colts players could not hear the signals because of the crowd noise that was pumped in.

proudpittsburgher
01-11-2011, 12:47 PM

The Colts players could not hear the signals because of the crowd noise that was pumped in.

dammit . . . I came back to this thread to post that. :)

The Sodfather
01-11-2011, 01:23 PM

people out of the colts camp are saying on their last incompletion, white should have ran the route 2 yards shallower..
that would have made the pass chest high instead of down by the groud

Is that for real?

NJ-STEELER
01-11-2011, 09:18 PM
yes

the word monday out of that camp (thru sports radio talk) is that he ran the route wrong. and making it more plausable have said he's done that a few times this year (dallas game)

never mind that looking on the replay of that if he cut his route 2 yards shorter, he would have wound up in the face of a jets DB