PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben getting some love, finally

SteelCrazy
01-08-2011, 07:00 AM
Not that it matters though........

PITTSBURGH
The Cold, Hard Football Facts: How many Super Bowls does a guy have to win to get some respect around here?

Ben Roethlisberger's name never comes up when it comes time to name the elite quarterbacks.

It should.

The truth is Big Ben is one of the most prolific passers in the history of football. The problem is many fans and pigskin pundits are obsessed with meaningless volume numbers and not the meaningful efficiency numbers -- such as average per attempt -- that have a high correlation to success.

Roethlisberger's career average of 8.04 yards per attempt is the fifth highest mark in the history of football. Three of the guys ahead of him are in the Hall of Fame (Graham, Luckman, Van Brocklin). He's topped 8.0 YPA in a season four times in seven years. Peyton Manning's done it twice in 13 seasons. Tom Brady? Just once.

The Steelers instantly became contenders the day Big Ben walked on the field. And they are a threat to win it all again. Roethlisberger's historic ability to puncture defenses with long passing plays is the biggest reason.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... z1ARN4xl6s (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/kerry_byrne/01/04/nfl-playoffs/index.html#ixzz1ARN4xl6s)

ALLD
01-08-2011, 09:28 AM
The more I think about it the more I think he got hosed with the suspension. I think it was a BS calculated call by the NFL to slow down the Steelers. Same with the Harrison fines.

The league owners could be divided into two different camps concerining the CBA and as long as the Steelers looked like they would dominate they would have negotiating power. It is obvious where the commissioner sits.

All I am saying it it smells to me while Roethlisberger is probably having the best season of his career. He isn't tired since he started late. The OL just needs to keep him on his feet and not running for his life in order for us to win.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-08-2011, 10:02 AM
I kind of wish Big Ben WASN'T getting some love, especially from SI.

Chachi
01-08-2011, 10:17 AM
When his career is over, IMO covered in homerism, he will be considered the best of the bunch....better than Peyton, better than Brady. Both those guys have 5 and 6 years respectively on Ben so he has some catching up to do.

Ben is just hitting his "prime" and he is getting better and better every year. IF he gets ring 3 this year.....

But, who knows? IIRC, Brady had his 3rd ring by 27 and hasn't won nothin' since....so...there's that possibility too.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-08-2011, 12:40 PM
The more I think about it the more I think he got hosed with the suspension. I think it was a BS calculated call by the NFL to slow down the Steelers.

I disagree, I don't think that it was calculated at all. I think that the league office stuck it's head out the window to see how the media winds were blowing. Media was in a feeding frenzy so they acted on the hysteria.

They did the same with:

Shaun Rogers handgun in an airport
Mike Vick shooting incident
Vince Young nightclub
Perrish Cox sexual assault charge

And hysteria came up low so league reaction was mild.

The two recent great leaders of this game - Rozelle & Tagliabue - always looked big picture. Goodell can't see more than two feet in front of his face before he must react to the pressure.

AkronSteel
01-08-2011, 01:01 PM
The more I think about it the more I think he got hosed with the suspension. I think it was a BS calculated call by the NFL to slow down the Steelers.

I disagree, I don't think that it was calculated at all. I think that the league office stuck it's head out the window to see how the media winds were blowing. Media was in a feeding frenzy so they acted on the hysteria.

They did the same with:

Shaun Rogers handgun in an airport
Mike Vick shooting incident
Vince Young nightclub
Perrish Cox sexual assault charge

And hysteria came up low so league reaction was mild.

The two recent great leaders of this game - Rozelle & Tagliabue - always looked big picture. Goodell can't see more than two feet in front of his face before he must react to the pressure.

:Clap
Excellent Post

sentinel33
01-08-2011, 01:10 PM
felt this way ever since he came into the league.

this is roethlisbergers 11th year playing the position of QB. 1 year in HS. 3 years in College and his pro career. its staggering to think about the success he has had in that time period. the guy is a natch. hes a natural.

he has never garnered the respect he deserves and if people are only starting to see that now i dont want them to at all. winning is the most imortant statistic. you win games. you win chamionships. thats it. records are great but they can all be taken away. wins cant and championships cant. cut and dry.

Djfan
01-08-2011, 01:15 PM
You're dead on here SFITO.

Goodell is a tragic, pathetic follow up to two great leaders. It will take years to undo the damage he has done not only to the league and it's competitiveness, but also to it's love in the market place.

The PC crowd he is trying to please doesn't care about football, and us real fans have a serious lack of trust for the leadership, and therefore the game. Under Goodell the integrity of the game and the leadership of the game, therefore the sportsmanship of the game, has gone into the toilet. Tough place to crawl out of.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-08-2011, 06:18 PM
I have always felt like some way, how bad.as.s Ben is was somewhat our secret. He is listed in like the top 8 when the pundits talk about current QB's, but rarely mentioned in the top 3 or 4.

Honestly, lots of people would say that the Steelers enable Ben to look good, where I would argue that he, in his efficiency and ability to extend a play where the OL breaks down, have made the Steelers look good.

Been a long time since we had a real consistent run game, yet we are nearly in the playoffs every single season under Ben's guidance.

I think our offense is just hitting its stride, and we will win the strap this year. Can't wait for Goodell to hand Ben the trophy.

YoungMoneyCrew
01-08-2011, 06:42 PM
I have always felt like some way, how bad.as.s Ben is was somewhat our secret. He is listed in like the top 8 when the pundits talk about current QB's, but rarely mentioned in the top 3 or 4.

Honestly, lots of people would say that the Steelers enable Ben to look good, where I would argue that he, in his efficiency and ability to extend a play where the OL breaks down, have made the Steelers look good.

Been a long time since we had a real consistent run game, yet we are nearly in the playoffs every single season under Ben's guidance.

I think our offense is just hitting its stride, and we will win the strap this year. Can't wait for Goodell to hand Ben the trophy.

There is no question that Ben makes the Steelers O look good. I don't think another qb in the league could do what he has done behind this OLine.

feltdizz
01-08-2011, 08:05 PM
You're dead on here SFITO.

Goodell is a tragic, pathetic follow up to two great leaders. It will take years to undo the damage he has done not only to the league and it's competitiveness, but also to it's love in the market place.

The PC crowd he is trying to please doesn't care about football, and us real fans have a serious lack of trust for the leadership, and therefore the game. Under Goodell the integrity of the game and the leadership of the game, therefore the sportsmanship of the game, has gone into the toilet. Tough place to crawl out of.

most real fans never trust the establishment.

feltdizz
01-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Ben makes our OL look good but I also think any other QB would force our GM to draft better OL years ago.

skyhawk
01-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Ben is just a game manager ;) :stirpot

SteelAbility
01-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Ben is just a game manager ;) :stirpot

Don't forget he's competent too.

DukieBoy
01-09-2011, 08:48 PM
With his Packers victory in Philadelphia, Troy Aikman pronounced Aaron Rodgers to be right there with Peyton Manning and Tom Brady as the elite QB's in the league.

That was Rodgers' first playoff win.

As an afterthought, not sure being placed in the PM category is very desirable.

Irongut
01-09-2011, 09:00 PM
There is no question that Ben makes the Steelers O look good. I don't think another qb in the league could do what he has done behind this OLine.

Oh, please. That's ridiculous.

Irongut
01-09-2011, 09:10 PM
The truth is Big Ben is one of the most prolific passers in the history of football.
No matter how this simp tries to justify it, Ben is nowhere near the most prolific passers in the NFL. He has 22k yards, less than 150td's and almost double that amount of sacks.

He has a nice start to a career but he's not near a top passer in the history of football.

Crash
01-10-2011, 12:18 PM
The truth is Big Ben is one of the most prolific passers in the history of football.
No matter how this simp tries to justify it, Ben is nowhere near the most prolific passers in the NFL. He has 22k yards, less than 150td's and almost double that amount of sacks.

He has a nice start to a career but he's not near a top passer in the history of football.

Yeah he's no David Carr.

You need to learn what prolific means. You also need to compare Ben to Montana after 7 years for an unbiased view of Ben's career.