PDA

View Full Version : Why not play and beat the Pats?

BrownSteel
01-08-2011, 12:11 AM
It is disappointing to hear so many people say they don't want us to play the Pats. They want the Ravens to do our dirty work for us. If we match up well against the Ravens and they can beat the Pats, why can't we? We owe them for two painful losses at home in the ACC. Why not go into Gillette and stick it to them. If we can't win there, we can't say we are the best in the world. They put on their pants the same way the Steelers do. Lets do this!!!! They are a young team and we are a playoff team two years removed from a Super Bowl.

SteelCrazy
01-08-2011, 12:26 AM
It is disappointing to hear so many people say they don't want us to play the Pats. They want the Ravens to do our dirty work for us. If we match up well against the Ravens and they can beat the Pats, why can't we? We owe them for two painful losses at home in the ACC. Why not go into Gillette and stick it to them. If we can't win there, we can't say we are the best in the world. They put on their pants the same way the Steelers do. Lets do this!!!! They are a young team and we are a playoff team two years removed from a Super Bowl.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/straightface72/applause.gif

hawaiiansteel
01-08-2011, 12:31 AM
I hope we play the Pats and beat them, to be the best you have to play (and beat) the best...the Pats* lost to the Browns, it's not like they're invincible.

Crash
01-08-2011, 12:43 AM
I'm not scared of the Pats either. But LeBeau is.

SteelCrazy
01-08-2011, 12:57 AM

Yea, LeBeau hasn't seen it all before..........scared out of his 70 year old mind. With the best player on the team playing SS and healthy, we will A O.K.

DukieBoy
01-08-2011, 01:46 AM

Yea, LeBeau hasn't seen it all before..........scared out of his 70 year old mind. With the best player on the team playing SS and healthy, we will A O.K.
Tha's right.

Let's beat the best of the regular season, then go take the prize.

Flasteel
01-08-2011, 02:46 AM

LeBeau will get it done this time. The way to beat Brady is press coverage and pressure him. Ever since that Pats game we have seen more and more of this from our defense and it's no coincidence...LeBeau has seen the light.

There is no aspect of the Ravens defense which is better than ours. I think they are probably a little more physical on offense, but the disparity at the QB spot gives an easy edge to our offense as well. I think we're also seeing some changes in the offense play-calling that are are almost on par with the defensive changes. This could make things very challenging for opposing defenses.

We're coming together at the right time and we're going to be as healthy as we've been in weeks. I like our chances against anyone and we owe the Pats...bring 'em.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing the Ravens rough them up a bit before we get to them. :D

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-08-2011, 03:08 AM
I've said in another thread, I don't care who we play, I feel like we are pretty much unbeatable on any given Sunday, bring them on.

The only problem I have playing the Pats THIS year, is that it will be in Foxboro, and my gut tells me it's at least even money they've got the visiting locker room bugged.

Next year - all the playoff games will be at Heinz Field!!

feltdizz
01-08-2011, 03:11 AM
trust me... we want the Ravens to do our dirty work. All that hoopla about beating the best along the way is garbage talk.

Do you think the Pats wanted to see us in the playoffs last year?

It's all about match ups and we don't match up well with the Pats. I'll take an AFCCG at home over a Foxboro visit every year.

If I have to fight my way out of a bar I'm OK with waiting for the toughest guy to fall before making my move.

Shawn
01-08-2011, 03:46 AM
trust me... we want the Ravens to do our dirty work. All that hoopla about beating the best along the way is garbage talk.

Do you think the Pats wanted to see us in the playoffs last year?

It's all about match ups and we don't match up well with the Pats. I'll take an AFCCG at home over a Foxboro visit every year.

If I have to fight my way out of a bar I'm OK with waiting for the toughest guy to fall before making my move.

$$$

flippy
01-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Brady + Bill B own Lebeau.

We've got a punchers chance if Ben and the offense click against the Pats. That's what happened the last time we beat them.

ALLD
01-08-2011, 09:13 AM
It is our duty to pull this monkey off our backs and breat the crap out of the Pats. There is no way we lose to them again this year unless the game is fixed or there is cheating.

NorthCoast
01-08-2011, 09:27 AM
If the matchup happens, the bookies will make a lot of money off Steeler fans I am afraid.

Flasteel
01-08-2011, 09:44 AM
I'd like for one of you to explain just how we "don't match up" with the Pats and how the Ravens do. You can't. It seems all you guys can do is parrot the talking heads on TV. Do you see any of them pointing to any specific deficiency on our team, or a weak spot that New England can exploit? No, all we hear is that they're in our heads or they have our number.

The problem with our previous game plans against Brady revolve around the LeBeau cushion and the poor underneath coverage. Once this adjustment is made I personally believe it will be the route to getting hits on Brady and forcing him into mistakes. The press coverage and pressure packages we have seen the past several weeks indicate to me that LeBeau will be correcting our previous mistakes against Brady.

New England's defense has been playing strong, but we have tremendous balance on offense and have a big-play capability that not even the Pats can match. If the pattern we're seeing on offense continues to develop in the postseason, we match-up well against everyone.

NorthCoast
01-08-2011, 10:20 AM
I'd like for one of you to explain just how we "don't match up" with the Pats and how the Ravens do. You can't. It seems all you guys can do is parrot the talking heads on TV. Do you see any of them pointing to any specific deficiency on our team, or a weak spot that New England can exploit? No, all we hear is that they're in our heads or they have our number.

The problem with our previous game plans against Brady revolve around the LeBeau cushion and the poor underneath coverage. Once this adjustment is made I personally believe it will be the route to getting hits on Brady and forcing him into mistakes. The press coverage and pressure packages we have seen the past several weeks indicate to me that LeBeau will be correcting our previous mistakes against Brady.

New England's defense has been playing strong, but we have tremendous balance on offense and have a big-play capability that not even the Pats can match. If the pattern we're seeing on offense continues to develop in the postseason, we match-up well against everyone.

My opinion is based solely on one player that does not match up with the Steelers: Tom Brady. Clearly, Brady has figured out how to beat the Steelers. You cannot deny his record against them. Actually, it is Brady vs LeBeau, since LeBeau has failed more often than not on how to attack Brady.
That said, for the Steelers to have a chance in this match-up the offense absolutely has to do their part. And that means scoring more (we have average 21 pts in our losses to NE and 33 in our wins).

flippy
01-08-2011, 10:46 AM

You make it sound like we lost to them once and have to adjust, when in reality, we've lost to them nearly every time we've played them recently.

Why wouldn't Lebeau have made your simple adjustment already if it was so easy to do?

Lebeau has essentially created a 3-4 prevent defense that's predicated on offenses not being patient, methodical, and capable of convert 3rd downs. Tom Brady will consistently take what you give him and methodically move the ball up and down the field against this.

The Ravens play a more attacking style of defense. So do the Jets. And even the Browns when they beat the Pats.

The only option we have really is to pressure the Pats with our offense. Put up a lot of points and force Brady into catching up where he can't be patient and methodical. The Lebeau's defense is perfect. If Brady has to hold the ball to force it downfield, the pressure will reach him and will potentially lead to mistakes and turnovers.

Bottom line, imho, beating the Pats is 100% on Ben's shoulders. Not the defense.

Chadman
01-08-2011, 11:03 AM
If the Steelers win the SB without playing NE in the play-offs- is it any less a SB win?

No?

Then Chadman hopes we don't have to play NE.

MCHammer
01-08-2011, 11:54 AM
It all comes down to perspective. We have a right to hoist the trophy no matter the route taken to win it. But this is not a bar fight - it's a tournament with the notion that the best team will win. I find it distasteful to actively wish to dodge a team based on matchup or whatever excuses. We either can beat them or we don't deserve the trophy.

I've participated in several of these threads now and I'm beginning to worry we are taking our eye of the ball. We need to focus on next week or the AFCC won't be an issue because our season will be over.

BURGH86STEEL
01-08-2011, 12:15 PM
It all comes down to perspective. We have a right to hoist the trophy no matter the route taken to win it. But this is not a bar fight - it's a tournament with the notion that the best team will win. I find it distasteful to actively wish to dodge a team based on matchup or whatever excuses. We either can beat them or we don't deserve the trophy.

I've participated in several of these threads now and I'm beginning to worry we are taking our eye of the ball. We need to focus on next week or the AFCC won't be an issue because our season will be over.

It's a good thing several posters don't play for the Steelers. Steelers gotta play whoever is in front of them.

YoungMoneyCrew
01-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Lebeau has switched up the secondary since the last Pats game so obviously he learned something. I'm not worried to play anyone. If the Steelers play up to their potential on both sides of the ball they will win every game and a 7th Super Bowl. It doesn't really matter about the other teams. Please show me another team that has the TALENT the Steelers do. Not the Pats, Colts, Jets, Ravens, or Chiefs. Seriously, make an argument about it.

jj28west
01-08-2011, 12:36 PM
(I know the focus should be next week) but being here in Pat country (Connecticut) I cant help but to obsess about how to beat them. They are to me like the Cowboys of the 70's & 90's.

What adds gas to te fire is now the media comments how both Steeler Super Bowls in recent history did not have to go through Foxboro. Its like they want the Steelers to apologize & have a footnote for this fact.

Either way (although never satisfied) I am happy the Steelers are in a position to be a couple games away from the Super Bowl this year given the challenges that were experienced.

Flasteel
01-08-2011, 01:00 PM

You make it sound like we lost to them once and have to adjust, when in reality, we've lost to them nearly every time we've played them recently.

Why wouldn't Lebeau have made your simple adjustment already if it was so easy to do?

Lebeau has essentially created a 3-4 prevent defense that's predicated on offenses not being patient, methodical, and capable of convert 3rd downs. Tom Brady will consistently take what you give him and methodically move the ball up and down the field against this.

The Ravens play a more attacking style of defense. So do the Jets. And even the Browns when they beat the Pats.

The only option we have really is to pressure the Pats with our offense. Put up a lot of points and force Brady into catching up where he can't be patient and methodical. The Lebeau's defense is perfect. If Brady has to hold the ball to force it downfield, the pressure will reach him and will potentially lead to mistakes and turnovers.

Bottom line, imho, beating the Pats is 100% on Ben's shoulders. Not the defense.

Maybe those McRibs have been clouding your ability to see the game in front of you as well Flip. Since the last Pats game, LeBeau has finally switched to more press coverage and the difference in our pass defense is amazing. I encourage you to read this article if you havenít already (and it appears you havenít):

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... ?ref=yahoo (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/1/5/1912967/the-day-dick-lebeau-turned-the-steelers-secondary-into-championship?ref=yahoo)

Iíll make the argument that this lone adjustment is what we need to combat the effectiveness of Brady. To say that the Ravens and Jets play more of a pressure defense is absurd. Weíre number one in the league in sacks, while Baltimore sits at the bottom of the league in that category. I guarantee that if you can find the stats for QB hits and pressures, youíll see us ahead of both those teams.

The only sentence in your post where you made any sense was about forcing Brady to hold on to the ball longer and getting those mistakes. Thatís exactly what press coverage will give you. Donít let those midget WRs and rookie TEs get open underneath and knock them off their routes at the LOS. Thatís all we need to allow the NFLís premiere pass rush to get to him in time.

If you donít think that beating Tom Brady and the Pats falls primarily on the shoulders of our defense, I donít know what to say about your humble opinion, other than itís very narrow-mindedÖand wrong.

Crash
01-08-2011, 01:17 PM
I'd like for one of you to explain just how we "don't match up" with the Pats and how the Ravens do. You can't

The Ravens don't fear Brady. They aren't scared of the consequences when they try and pressure him. They don't bow down and kiss his feet like LeBeau seems to do.

Play to your strength. If you lose, at least lose going down swinging.

Shoe
01-08-2011, 01:42 PM
OMG--give me a break. We (as fans) don't want to play the Pats because we've gotten WAXED by them almost every time we've played them when it mattered. It's like saying, "Why not play every game on the road?" Or "Why not play games without Polamalu?"

Because it's been proven that it's not the best road to take.

No one is saying the players, when/if we have to play the Cheats, won't be fired up. And when/if that game happens, I will root MY team on like I always do. And yes--if we beat them and upset their apple cart--I will f'n do cartwheels in my driveway!

But that don't mean that I want to play a team who marched up and down on us last time we played... who marched up and down on us the previous time (the Anthony Smith game) when Brady* was available... who marched up and down on our 15-1 team in our house in the AFCC game in '04. Who totally stifled us in our house in '01.

Are you a moron?

Steeler Shades
01-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Why not go into Gillette and stick it to them. If we can't win there, we can't say we are the best in the world.
Did you want to break the news to the Steelers that despite winning SB 40 & 43 that they were not the best in the world because they didn't beat the Pats in Gillette? Obviously you CAN be the best in the world and at the same time have someone else take care of your dirty work. 8)

Crash
01-08-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm so sick of hearing how we didn't play NE in 2005 or 2008.

Works both ways, Brady won two of his three rings before we drafted Ben. Since 2004 Ben has 2 rings and Brady has one. Ben is the only multiple ring winner since 2004 btw.

It's not the Steelers fault that Brady choked in Denver the day before we beat the Colts in Indy. He wins that game they host the AFCC game.

Boo freaking hoo!

Steeler Shades
01-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Works both ways, Brady won two of his three rings before we drafted Ben.
Clearly both teams have other players besides just Ben and Brady. Just out of curiosity what is the head to head record when Ben and Brady have played against each other? 8)

Ozey74
01-08-2011, 04:06 PM
This talk of who we play to get to the Super Bowl is silly. In 10 years, few of us will remember who we had to beat to make it to the Super Bowl. The one thing we will remember is making it to & hopefully winning it. In 1995, I remember that we beat the Colts in the AFC Championship game to make it to the Super Bowl (and that is becasue I live in Indiana & hate the Colts). I couldn't tell you who else we beat in the playoffs that year without the help of Google.

:tt2

ScoreKeeper
01-08-2011, 04:42 PM
This talk of who we play to get to the Super Bowl is silly. In 10 years, few of us will remember who we had to beat to make it to the Super Bowl. The one thing we will remember is making it to & hopefully winning it. In 1995, I remember that we beat the Colts in the AFC Championship game to make it to the Super Bowl (and that is becasue I live in Indiana & hate the Colts). I couldn't tell you who else we beat in the playoffs that year without the help of Google.

:tt2
We crushed the Bills something like 40-20 or 43-21. I don't remember the exact score, but we routed them pretty good.

However, your point is well taken. I don't care the path, as long as we get there.

Crash
01-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Like Coach T says: Style points don't matter!

Shoe
01-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Why not go into Gillette and stick it to them. If we can't win there, we can't say we are the best in the world.
Did you want to break the news to the Steelers that despite winning SB 40 & 43 that they were not the best in the world because they didn't beat the Pats in Gillette? Obviously you CAN be the best in the world and at the same time have someone else take care of your dirty work. 8)

Exactly.
But it's not even about being "best in the world". If we win the SB and the Pats* lose on some bogus call or something (as an example), I could care less if they say they are better than us or the "best team in the world". Only thing I care about... and only thing that matters... is the Super Bowl championship.

flippy
01-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Maybe those McRibs have been clouding your ability to see the game in front of you as well Flip. Since the last Pats game, LeBeau has finally switched to more press coverage and the difference in our pass defense is amazing. I encourage you to read this article if you havenít already (and it appears you havenít):

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... he-day-bad (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/1/5/1912967/the-day-bad) word-lebeau-turned-the-steelers-secondary-into-championship?ref=yahoo

Iíll make the argument that this lone adjustment is what we need to combat the effectiveness of Brady. To say that the Ravens and Jets play more of a pressure defense is absurd. Weíre number one in the league in sacks, while Baltimore sits at the bottom of the league in that category. I guarantee that if you can find the stats for QB hits and pressures, youíll see us ahead of both those teams.

The only sentence in your post where you made any sense was about forcing Brady to hold on to the ball longer and getting those mistakes. Thatís exactly what press coverage will give you. Donít let those midget WRs and rookie TEs get open underneath and knock them off their routes at the LOS. Thatís all we need to allow the NFLís premiere pass rush to get to him in time.

If you donít think that beating Tom Brady and the Pats falls primarily on the shoulders of our defense, I donít know what to say about your humble opinion, other than itís very narrow-mindedÖand wrong.

At least we both seem to like the McRib :)

Our pass defense in the second half of the season got better because the quality of our opponents went down. As quality goes down, Lebeau has more confidence and allows our DBs to play press coverage. We've always pressed WRs situationally.

But line up Brady on the other side of the field and Lebeau will become overly cautious. We won't play Brady the same way we play McCoy, Clausen, etc.

If you remember the 1 time Ben beat Brady and the Pats, he had a monster start to the game and the Pats were down early. Catching up on our D was tough. Brady had to press to go downfield to catch up.

And that's the way I see it having to go again. Start fast on offense and make the Pats play from behind.

Otherwise, I don't have confidence in Lebeau and our D to beat the Pats.

It's on Ben. And I am feeling better that the O is getting into a bit of a rhythm.

:Cheers

feltdizz
01-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Our D and O are playing better but it's because our opponents have been worse. I'm encouraged by our recent success but not to the point where I want to face a QB who is 6-1 against us.

Flasteel
01-08-2011, 06:07 PM

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... he-day-bad (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/1/5/1912967/the-day-bad) word-lebeau-turned-the-steelers-secondary-into-championship?ref=yahoo

At least we both seem to like the McRib :)

Our pass defense in the second half of the season got better because the quality of our opponents went down. As quality goes down, Lebeau has more confidence and allows our DBs to play press coverage. We've always pressed WRs situationally.

But line up Brady on the other side of the field and Lebeau will become overly cautious. We won't play Brady the same way we play McCoy, Clausen, etc.

If you remember the 1 time Ben beat Brady and the Pats, he had a monster start to the game and the Pats were down early. Catching up on our D was tough. Brady had to press to go downfield to catch up.

And that's the way I see it having to go again. Start fast on offense and make the Pats play from behind.

Otherwise, I don't have confidence in Lebeau and our D to beat the Pats.

It's on Ben. And I am feeling better that the O is getting into a bit of a rhythm.

:Cheers

We shall see my friend. I'm willing to bet that we play them the way we need to play them...if we play them. :Cheers

SteelAbility
01-08-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm assuming we want to win a title, right? That's the highest priority ... i.e. winning the title. Then you want the matchups that give you the best chance. Who cares about "it didn't go through New England?" I guess the Saints SB44 victory doesn't count because it wasn't against New England :roll:. If you win the SB, then you beat the guy who beat the guy who beat the other guy.

One of the beauties of the playoffs is that ANY matchup of two teams is possible. Therefore ANY objection to or calling into question of the quality of a SB win is bogus ...

... barring cheating* of course ... :mrgreen:

BrownSteel
01-08-2011, 09:06 PM
The point of the thread is tha there were so many people on this board saying they wanted the Ravens to win so we would not have to play the Pats. I wasn't saying that was my peference. I wasn't saying that is what the team wanted. What I am saying is if the Ravens lost and we have to go to Foxboro, why not go there with the thought that we can win instead of saying we are an oven roast well done so stick a fork in us. That didn't happen when we were favored the two times they beat us at home in the AFCC. How about when Alanta beat that high powered Minnesota club yeas ago, or even whn the Giants beat the undefated Pats in the Supr Bowl.

This just in, tell that to the Seahawks who no one gave a chance today.

Any given Sunay Baby!!!!

feltdizz
01-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Any Given Sunday is right... but Seattle won AT HOME against a dome team. No one is saying the game shouldn't be played if it's in Foxboro but we all know what the Pats are capable of doing against our D. I would much rather see them get knocked off and host the AFCCG in the burgh.