01-07-2011, 12:37 AM
http://thenationalfootballreport.com/?page_id=1805

Flasteel
01-07-2011, 12:45 AM
I nominate the National Football Report for the 2011 Nostradamus award!! :tt2

birtikidis
01-07-2011, 12:46 AM
Pouncey!
thought it was funny that they put Jenkins as being from Miami rather than UF.

hawaiiansteel
01-07-2011, 12:56 AM
yes, that would make me very happy and fill the Steelers' two biggest needs.

SidSmythe
01-07-2011, 06:56 AM
This Draft MUST happen!!! :tt2
Say it MeetJoe before someone else does!!!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-07-2011, 08:24 AM
yes, that would make me very happy and fill the Steelers' two biggest needs.

Your profile picture would make me very happy and fill Nasty's two biggest needs. :wink:

I would agree. Maybe a OT in the 3rd if Colon walks.

phillyesq
01-07-2011, 08:25 AM
I'm certainly happy with where the Steelers are picking in this mock. :tt1 :tt1

MeetJoeGreene
01-07-2011, 08:27 AM
This Draft MUST happen!!! :tt2
Say it MeetJoe before someone else does!!!

I only say that quote to MEMBER'S mock drafts... not external sites or pros...

I am going to come up w/ a new line every year. I am working on my new phrasing for this year. I better get off my butt. It will include the word "laud" since I heard that in Christmas carols a lot this year.

Oviedo
01-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Definitely got the first two positons right. I could also be OK with CB and then OG. If we follow this up with a OT or DL in Round 3 then we really have something. Add a Safety or TE in Round 4 then I'm thrilled.

Oviedo
01-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Here is another opinion of the first 10 picks out of today's Orlando Sentinel:

Our full NFL mock draft for 2011 will be coming soon. But with Thursday's news that projected No. 1 overall pick Andrew Luck is returning to Stanford for his senior season, we figured now is the perfect time to look at the possible top 10 for the 2011 NFL draft.

1. Carolina Panthers: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia

THE BUZZ: Carolina has got to be upset that Andrew Luck, who was a lock here, is returning to Stanford. They could go with a defensive lineman here, but they are hurting bad at wide receiver and may take Green as an athletic, flashy pick to try and help Jimmy Clausen and pacify a restless fan base.

2. Denver Broncos: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

THE BUZZ: OK, who wouldn't love to see Denver take Cam Newton? To have Tebow and Newton on the same roster? But it's not going to happen. It looks like Champ Bailey might not return, and if he does he might move to safety. And this team needs tons of help on defense.

3. Buffalo Bills: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn

THE BUZZ: The Bills have got plenty of holes, and would love to get Andrew Luck, but once Newton gets to the combine and displays his raw skills the Bills won't be able to resist the Heisman Trophy winner.

4. Cincinnati Bengals, Nick Fairley, DE/DT, Auburn

THE BUZZ: If Green is still here, he's the Bengals pick, as Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco are both probably gone. But they've got plenty of holes, and will go with Fairley, the best defensive lineman in the draft.

5. Arizona Cardinals, Robert Quinn, DE/LB, North Carolina

THE BUZZ: North n the NFC West, Arizona has to feel like it's just a player or two away from being back on top. A difference-making pass rusher is just what the doctor ordered, and Quinn is that

6. Cleveland Browns, Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama

THE BUZZ: Cleveland would prefer to find an offensive playmaker to team with QB Colt McCoy. But after Green there just aren't many available. The team needs plenty of help in its front seven and will address that here.

7. San Francisco 49ers, Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

THE BUZZ: The feeling is the 49ers would really like a quarterback here, and if Newton is gone Ryan Mallett is a possibility here. But he is a risk at this point in the draft, and Amukamara is clearly the best cornerback available. That's a beat weakness for San Francisco, and they'll go with the safe pick.

8. Tennessee Titans, Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson

THE BUZZ: Free agency could change this, but Tennessee needs help on its D-Line and Bowers can simply rush the quarterback.

9. Dallas Cowboys, Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State

THE BUZZ: The Cowboys have two huge needs – defensive back and offensive line. If Amukamara is here, Dallas won't pass him up. If not, they might try to trade down and take an o-lineman at a more appropriate spot. But if they're stuck, they'll take Sherrod, the best offensive lineman available.

10. Washington Redskins, Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State

THE BUZZ: This is a lot of defensive linemen in the top 10, but Washington was terrible there last year, and will only get worse as Albert Haynesworth probably will not be back

flippy
01-07-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm gonna feel a little let down if we draft the other Pouncey. I think Foster looks good. Heck, I like Legursky too. I really don't think we need an OG.

I'm hoping we draft defense, defense, and more defense.

Remember the formula:

Ben + Defense = SuperBowls

grotonsteel
01-07-2011, 11:21 AM
The only thing i like about that draft is the position Steelers are drafting.

I like CBS mock draft better,

The position is not great . They have us picking at No. 30 but i like the players

Rob Rang:

No.30 PIT - Derek Sherrod, OT

Chad

No.30 PIT - J J Watt, DE

grotonsteel
01-07-2011, 11:21 AM
I think Foster looks good.

:Agree

ikestops85
01-07-2011, 11:25 AM
The WR from Pitt must be good they have him going to Washington with the 10th pick in the 2nd round and to St Louis with the 14th pick in the second round.

10. Washington-Jon Baldwin-WR-Pittsburgh
14. St Louis-Jon Baldwin-WR-Pittsburgh

grotonsteel
01-07-2011, 11:32 AM
I like this draft better just don't like #30. It better be 32.. :wink:

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2011_1.php

30 -Pittsburgh Steelers: Mike Pouncey, G, Florida
There's a lot of uncertainty for the Steelers on the offensive line. Left tackle Max Starks is coming off neck surgery. Right tackle Willie Colon, a free agent in March, suffered a torn Achilles in July. Flozell Adams, meanwhile, will turn 36 a month after the 2011 NFL Draft. There's also a huge void at right guard.

Mike Pouncey, brother of Steelers Pro Bowl rookie center Maurkice Pouncey, fits well into this blocking scheme.

62-Pittsburgh Steelers: Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
The Steelers really need to find an upgrade over Bryant McFadden. McFadden was OK at the beginning of the season, but has really struggled of late.

94-Pittsburgh Steelers: Christian Ballard, DE/DT, Iowa
Aaron Smith is a great player, but he can't seem to stay healthy. Brett Keisel will be 33 at the beginning of the 2011 season. Ziggy Hood has not been impressive in his limited action on the field.

The Steelers will consider adding some talent to the defensive line.

126-Pittsburgh Steelers: Kelvin Sheppard, ILB, LSU
James Farrior is having a great year, but he just turned 36. The Steelers will need to find a successor soon.

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2011, 11:36 AM
I like the new 4 round mock from walterfootball.com even more.

I would be overjoyed with this haul:

1. Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida
2. Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
3. Christian Ballard, DE, Iowa
4. Kelvin Sheppard, ILB, LSU

Oviedo
01-07-2011, 11:56 AM

I would be looking Safety or TE in Round 4 or even an OT. I don't think ILB is that big a need. Sylvester looks like a keeper and Foote will be serviceable for another year or two.

Oviedo
01-07-2011, 11:57 AM
I think Foster looks good.

:Agree

I don't agree. I think Foster looks very average at best. We have just set such low standards for the OL we accept that as an improvement.

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2011, 01:10 PM

I would be looking Safety or TE in Round 4 or even an OT. I don't think ILB is that big a need. Sylvester looks like a keeper and Foote will be serviceable for another year or two.

I agree with this. But Pouncey, Dowling, and Ballard in the first 3 rounds??? They could draft Flippy, Jiga, Jooser, and Pappy with their next 4 picks and I'd still be happy with that draft.

flippy
01-07-2011, 01:18 PM

I agree with this. But Pouncey, Dowling, and Ballard in the first 3 rounds??? They could draft Flippy, Jiga, Jooser, and Pappy with their next 4 picks and I'd still be happy with that draft.

I'd love to be Mr Irrelevant.

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2011, 01:20 PM

I'd love to be Mr Irrelevant.

Great, because this board treats you that way. :P

Dee Dub
01-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Ok..I gotta say although it does fill a need it would not be getting the highest rated player on the board at 32 if we go by this mock. And this mock has no credibility when it has a player who I think ranks higher than Pouncey and one I believe is a top 20 pick in this guy they have at pick #35.

Akeem Ayers-OLB-UCLA

…but I guess the real focus should be on who actually is saying this.

Kevin Cornaire is a graduate of:

Sports Management Worldwide;Portland, Oregon, USA
Football GM & Scouting, Certificate, 2010
Training included: NFL scouting techniques, NFL general manager practices, basic video editing and Coaches Office, statistical analysis, scouting reports and NFL collective bargaining agreement.
(Mentored by NFL experts Russ Lande & John Wooten)

The cool part is this site thinks we will win the Super Bowl.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-07-2011, 01:30 PM
I don't agree. I think Foster looks very average at best. We have just set such low standards for the OL we accept that as an improvement.

he's no Kraig Urbik, thats for sure. :lol:

Foster has improved noticeably the last 4-6 weeks. IF he continues to improve he could start for a few years. if nothing else he is a valuable swing man on game days. some fans just refuse to give this kid his due. he was/is an excellent pickup as an UDFA.

birtikidis
01-07-2011, 02:10 PM
haha dub says it lacks credibility because it has a player HE thinks rates higher lol. sorry man, your opinion means not a whole lot.
and Foster is by far the worst OL on our team. to say you think he's serviceable is crazy.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-07-2011, 02:18 PM
and Foster is by far the worst OL on our team. to say you think he's serviceable is crazy.

lol.

you're out of your mind.

his play is clearly better than J. Scott, and as been equal to Kemos the last month and a half.

so you think he is worse than essex, legursy, and hills? thats just dumb.

birtikidis
01-07-2011, 02:25 PM

lol.

you're out of your mind.

his play is clearly better than J. Scott, and as been equal to Kemos the last month and a half.

Meant starting OL. my bad. and yea, I agree with the article that stated that Foster is the worst of the bunch. He's NOT a guard. He should not be playing guard. He's terrible.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-07-2011, 02:33 PM
terrible???

i'm sorry, but i think thats ridiculous. i dvr every game and watch every snap he plays because i have defended this kid on here and will continue to do so. this OL has quietly improved the last 4-5 games and Ramon Foster has been a part of it. if you think his play is below #72, then i don't know what to tell you.

hawaiiansteel
01-07-2011, 02:34 PM
if nothing else he is a valuable swing man on game days.

I would have no problem with Foster as a swing man on game days and agree that he was a good signing as an UDFA.

but I would love to see a much better starter at RG and you can probably say LG as well because Kemo isn't really all that great either.

Dee Dub
01-07-2011, 02:34 PM
haha dub says it lacks credibility because it has a player HE thinks rates higher lol. sorry man, your opinion means not a whole lot.

I'm not the one who said that about Foster. :idea:

..and at least this forum allows me to have an opinion. Who cares whether it is right or wrong?

Eddie Spaghetti
01-07-2011, 02:37 PM
hey, dont get me wrong, i would love to have 1st round pro bowlers at every position too. ain't gonna happen. you can win with guys like Ramon Foster in the trenches.

steelerkeylargo
01-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Ok..I gotta say although it does fill a need it would not be getting the highest rated player on the board at 32 if we go by this mock. And this mock has no credibility when it has a player who I think ranks higher than Pouncey and one I believe is a top 20 pick in this guy they have at pick #35.

Akeem Ayers-OLB-UCLA

Training included: NFL scouting techniques, NFL general manager practices, basic video editing and Coaches Office, statistical analysis, scouting reports and NFL collective bargaining agreement.

Whats wrong with his credentials?

hawaiiansteel
01-07-2011, 02:50 PM
here is a good analysis of our OL -

Word of Muth: Playoff Primer

by Ben Muth
06 Jan 2011

The Pittsburgh Steelers needed a win over the Browns on Sunday to clinch the second seed in the AFC and a first-round bye. Troy Polamalu had an interception, Mike Wallace was open deep, Antwaan Randle El threw a touchdown, and the Steelers rolled to a 41-9 victory. Those were the broad strokes, but it really is about all you need to know. With the exception of the Randle El touchdown pass, the Steelers kept it pretty basic, especially in the second half, and prepared for their second-round playoff game. Since this week's game was pretty uninteresting, I'm going to focus on the Steelers offensive line in general, and what the unit means to Pittsburgh going forward.

Starting from the left, we'll discuss Jonathan Scott. Scott became a starter in the middle of the season when Max Starks was placed on Injured Reserve with a neck injury. This was after Willie Colon was put on IR with a ruptured Achilles in the offseason. Rather than start the season with Scott at either tackle, Pittsburgh brought in Flozell Adams in August to start at right tackle and keep Scott on the bench.

Coach Mike Tomlin and the Pittsburgh staff didn't think Jonathan Scott was ready to start. They were right: Scott has struggled all year. His biggest problem is quickness off the edge, which is the last thing you want a left tackle to struggle with. Scott's kick slide is slow and narrow (meaning he doesn't get a lot of width when he pass sets). It's a bad combination that has led to a lot hits, pressures, and sacks of Ben Roethlisberger.

While Scott is a better run blocker, he doesn't really excel in this field either. He is a decent drive blocker, but not as good as Adams, which means he is usually on the backside of running plays. On the backside of most running plays the tackle is responsible for either cutting off three-techniques or getting up to the backside linebacker. Scott struggles with both of these types of blocks.

If I had to describe Scott, it would be as a replacement-level player. Every team has a guy like this. He could be a starting right tackle, a swing tackle, or a member of the practice squad, depending on the quality of the team. The only problem is, the Steelers are trying to win a Super Bowl with this type of player starting at left tackle. That's like trying to win the World Series with Willie Bloomquist batting cleanup.

Just next to Jonathan Scott is left guard is Chris Kemoeatu. I feel for Kemoeatu because he is in a system that magnifies his weaknesses. At his best, Kemoeatu is a powerful drive blocker and effective Power play puller. However, the Steelers haven't ran Power as much this year as they have in the past. Instead Pittsburgh has focused on more zone-blocking schemes.

Kemoeatu is capable of running the inside zone play so long as he isn't forced to get to the second level, where he isn't as effective. Kemoeatu isn't a great pass blocker but he is passable on the inside, where you rarely are forced to block elite pass rushers. In the end Kemoeatu ends up being a decent offensive lineman, with a couple of clear strengths and weaknesses -- like most NFL offensive linemen.

Maurkice Pouncey was the Steelers' best offensive lineman this season. He has tremendous athletic ability that is most prevalent while working at the second level. Pouncey is as good as any player I saw this season at locking onto linebackers and knocking them out of running lanes. Not only does he lock on to and finish this type of block, he is very good at finishing all blocks.

An opposing defender will always try and shed the blocker and make a tackle. Good players have the ability to sustain theirs blocks long enough to allow the runner to get through. Great players have the ability to accelerate their feet when they feel the defender trying to escape, and to finish the block by running the defender into the ground. Pouncey has good enough feet to do this -- and has done it a lot this season. Finally, Pouncey has really good pass blocking technique. His body position is text book, meaning he has a low hips, wide feet, and his head is back and out of the way.

But as Bret Michaels once sang, every rose has its thorns. Powerful defensive tackles are Pouncey's thorns. When the rookie has been matched up against stronger defenders (Haloti Ngata and Domata Peko spring to mind) he has struggled mightily. Pro Bowl centers shouldn't be dominated by anyone -- even Haloti Ngata. Fortunately, a center will usually have help and is rarely asked to block defensive tackles one-on-one. Unfortunately, centers are asked to block by themselves a lot more against 3-4 defenses, and the No. 1 seed in the AFC happens to run a 3-4 and have a very big nose tackle.

At right guard the Steelers have Ramon Foster, another big, lumbering offensive lineman. Foster is another good drive blocker, and he has the added benefit of being able to do it a lot. The Steelers seem to prefer to run to his side (especially Power, probably because of Foster's lack of pulling ability). They average 4.09 and 5.07 Adjusted Line Yards off right tackle and around the right end, as opposed to 2.93 and 4.76 yards to the left.

It's a good thing the Steelers like to run to his side, because Foster isn't really good at anything but drive blocking. He is too slow to cut anybody off on the backside. In fact, I would say the Steelers' struggles running to the left have as much to do with Foster as anyone else. Also, he is probably the worst pass blocker on the team.

Scott struggles more, but he is usually blocking the other team's best rusher. Foster can struggle against the most pedestrian pass rushers. With both he and Scott in the starting lineup, the Steelers have two pretty big question marks heading into the post season.

Finally, we get to the big veteran Flozell Adams. Adams is pretty much the exact opposite of Pouncey. He is old, slow, and underrated whereas Pouncey is young, quick, and overhyped. Pouncey is the better player these days, but the margin isn't as big as some would have you believe (notably NFL.com columnist Dave Dameshek, whose columns I usually enjoy). Adams is still a very good drive blocker, probably the best on a team full of solid ones. You don't want him out in space, or trying to lead around on a lot of tosses, but he still has his place. In the passing game he has enough guile (probably the coolest trait anyone can attain) to be serviceable. He can certainly be beaten around the edge occasionally, but he is not the biggest leak in the ship.

If you're a Steelers fan, you probably knew your offensive line wasn't great before you read this, and I didn't do much to change your opinion. The problem is that the Steelers have a lot of big hosses up front who are pretty good at drive blocking, but not much else. The holes and inconsistencies make it difficult for the Steelers to sustain long drives against good defenses, which is what they will face in the playoffs.

The good news is that the Steelers are explosive at the skill positions. Wallace may be the best big-play receiver in the AFC, and Emmanuel Sanders can run as well. Rashard Mendenhall may not be Chris Johnson or Jamaal Charles, but he has a style of running that is very conducive to 15-to-20 yard runs. And of course, the Steelers have Roethlisberger. His ability to extend plays in the backfield can lead to huge plays down the field.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/wor...playoff-primer

steelerkeylargo
01-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Wait for it.....wait for it...wait for it

Dee Dub- "Who the hell is Ben Muth? Consider the source"

steelz09
01-07-2011, 03:03 PM

lol.

you're out of your mind.

Personally, I think both our guards could be replaced next year including Kemo. I think Kemo is vastly overrated and overpaid. He can pull to the right side but thats a small percentage of his job. He is supposively our best run blocker but yet we can't run to the left side of the line which happens to be his side. And don't place all the blame on Scott for that. We couldn't run behind Kemo even when Starks was our LT. As far as pass blocking, he's below average.

Dee Dub
01-07-2011, 03:06 PM

Akeem Ayers-OLB-UCLA

I dont know seems just like a fan to me. He lists his experience as something coming from a school/classroom. I think it would hold a lot more weight if it actually came a football field or had he worked in some capacity for a football team.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-07-2011, 03:08 PM
agree on kemo. has always been overrated.

on steelersdepot, Foster is credited with 3.5 sacks since week 11 vs. the raiders. is it great? no. but his run blocking is superb.

there is no way he is our worst OL.

Dee Dub
01-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Wait for it.....wait for it...wait for it

Dee Dub- "Who the hell is Ben Muth? Consider the source"

:lol: Funny.

I would think you who scouts for a living would understand my thoughts on this.

steelerkeylargo
01-07-2011, 03:12 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":wjz5gluj]Ok..I gotta say although it does fill a need it would not be getting the highest rated player on the board at 32 if we go by this mock. And this mock has no credibility when it has a player who I think ranks higher than Pouncey and one I believe is a top 20 pick in this guy they have at pick #35.

Akeem Ayers-OLB-UCLA

I dont know seems just like a fan to me. He lists his experience as something coming from a school/classroom. I think it would hold a lot more weight if it actually came a football field or had he worked in some capacity for a football team.[/quote:wjz5gluj]

Looks like he got some good mentors. Russ Lande and John Wooten are long time NFL vets. Lande runs the Sporting News Draft War Room and is a former NFL Scout & John Wooten is a former NFL guard and front office Executive.

hawaiiansteel
01-07-2011, 03:14 PM

on steelersdepot, Foster is credited with 3.5 sacks since week 11 vs. the raiders. is it great? no. but his run blocking is superb.

I would say Jonathan Scott is our worst OL with Kemo and Foster tied for second worst and Pouncey and Flozell tied as our best OL.

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2011, 03:15 PM

Foster may not be the worst...he is the second worst in front of only Jon Scott. At least he is an improvement over Trai Essex, though...I'll give him that. Kemoeatu edges out Foster because of the ability to pull. Pouncey's our best current starting o-lineman, then Adams, then Kemoeatu, then Foster, then Scott. Since Starks is expected to return to the starting lineup next year (and likely vault into the second spot behind Maurkice), that makes RG the weakest link on our weakest unit. Drafting another Pouncey remedies that.

grotonsteel
01-07-2011, 03:25 PM

I would say Jonathan Scott is our worst OL with Kemo and Foster tied for second worst and Pouncey and Flozell tied as our best OL.

I would agree with this.

No way Foster is the worst O-lineman on Steelers roster.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-07-2011, 03:28 PM
i would rate:

Pouncey
Adams
Foster/Kemo
Scott

i have said I would be very happy to get another Pouncey because it presents a unique oppurtunity. but the hate Foster gets from several on here is undeserved and pisses me off. He has been spotty at times as any young players is going to be. Kemos play has been just as bad at times, if not worse, for far greater $$$.

Oviedo
01-07-2011, 04:25 PM
i would rate:

Pouncey
Adams
Foster/Kemo
Scott

i have said I would be very happy to get another Pouncey because it presents a unique oppurtunity. but the hate Foster gets from several on here is undeserved and pisses me off. He has been spotty at times as any young players is going to be. Kemos play has been just as bad at times, if not worse, for far greater $$$.

Then why does the majority of this board want Pouncey II to replace him and most draft experts agree we need an OL who would likely replace him before any other OL?

Flasteel
01-07-2011, 04:25 PM

Seriously? Are you SERIOUS RB?? I find it difficult to believe that someone with your keen sense of observation can't plainly see how the OP's link didn't show the better draft.

Regardless of who we picked. :D

Eddie Spaghetti
01-07-2011, 04:52 PM
i would rate:

Pouncey
Adams
Foster/Kemo
Scott

Then why does the majority of this board want Pouncey II to replace him and most draft experts agree we need an OL who would likely replace him before any other OL?

i have said that Pouncey should be the pick if he is there. I am only pointing out Fosters play has not been nearly as bad as some(you) have repeatedly said. Foster is a young adequate RG who should only improve with playing time. nobody is saying he will be all-pro, but he IS a contributing member of a 12-4 football team.

honestly ovi, i don't value your opinion on Ramon Foster one bit. You have constantly mocked and derided this kid ever since he beat out your pet Urbik who he outplayed from Day 1.

Oviedo
01-07-2011, 04:58 PM
[quote="Eddie Spaghetti":23slx1p3]i would rate:

Pouncey
Adams
Foster/Kemo
Scott

i have said that Pouncey should be the pick if he is there. I am only pointing out Fosters play has not been nearly as bad as some(you) have repeatedly said. Foster is a young adequate RG who should only improve with playing time. nobody is saying he will be all-pro, but he IS a contributing member of a 12-4 football team.

honestly ovi, i don't value your opinion on Ramon Foster one bit. You have constantly mocked and derided this kid ever since he beat out your pet Urbik who he outplayed from Day 1.[/quote:23slx1p3]

I'm truly hurt you don't value my opinion :wink:

I only point out that I see nothing from Foster that Urbik didn't offer, but the coaches who know decided to keep Foster. So be it. It doesn't make him a quality starter and he should absolutely be the one we replace first on the OL. He is a career back up. Hope he has a great career as such.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-07-2011, 05:01 PM
but the coaches who know decided to keep Foster.

bingo.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Starting OL:
Pouncey
Adams
Kemo
Foster
Scott

No ties. Kemo & Foster are not even close guys. Give me a clone of Kemo at RG, I have an unhanded run game. Kemo sometimes is slow on recognition in pass pro, but he is very capable of holding his own when he locks up. He had a horrible game against the Bills but he rebounded. Kemo's pulling ability opens the margin on Foster and he is very good on the 2nd level. Foster lumbers when pulling and can not break down on the move. Typical "tackle feet" on the move or 2nd level. But he is a good run blocker out of his stance. Position wise, Scott ranks last. However, he is playing an "island" position and doesn't have the luxury of two closed shoulders like Foster. Foster gets help frequently by Pouncey & Adams and just the simple make-up of being an interior OL. If Foster slid out to RT, he would struggle just as bad as Scott.

That all being said, on this team, Foster & Scott are back-ups playing because of injury. Adams still plays at a high enough level to be considered a starter on the Steelers. Although Scott & Foster are serviceable given the situation, I haven't seen anything out of either to say they are starting material. It isn't technique or intelligence that seperates them from being tagged a very good starter....It is genetics. There are roster spots for them, you need players like them. You can win with them...But you compensate. That doesn't mean you can't upgrade. Starks will return for Scott. Foster's "upgrade" likely isn't on the team.

flippy
01-07-2011, 05:45 PM
WOuld it make any sense to see if Colon could play RG so we could leave Adams at RT?

birtikidis
01-07-2011, 05:58 PM
I want to make this very clear. Foster is a TERRIBLE guard. I think he could develop into a good tackle. Eddie, I understand that we're 12-4 and he's a starter and yes Scott is also pretty bad. But honestly Scott is only on the field because of the number of injuries we've had at OT. After this coming draft, he will never see the field again. His replacement is already on the team, so, when it comes to evaluating the line in terms of the draft Foster is clearly our biggest weakness.

Steelers33
01-07-2011, 07:31 PM
WOuld it make any sense to see if Colon could play RG so we could leave Adams at RT?

I would actually like that to some degree. Think about it. Colon has perfect size for a RG and his downfall at tackle has always been his pass blocking while being a very good run blocker. There is obvious questions. Like can he pull effectively? How fast can he learn and get a feel for the position? Well he have the same athleticism before he tore his Achilles. With that we could play Flo out there and maybe draft a guy like Gabe Carimi. It would be like 2 draft picks in 1 because we are possible filling 2 needs on the OL. Carimi is projected as a very solid right tackle in the NFL. I've been to a couple games Big Gabe played in this year and I think the Outland winner has all the attributes for being a good right tackle. While he does not have athleticism to pass block on the left side he certainly has enough to block on the right side. I could imagine Starks Kemo Pouncy Colon Carimi being a solid line. Of course I'm going out on a limb here because there is downfalls at each position. Starks has always been average and who expects him to take his game to the next level after injury. Kemo has strengths and weaknesses as he pulls and moves good for hid size, but lacks some athleticism to get a cut off block on the backside and pass block in some situations. Pouncey is very athletic and good but he has to get stronger so d-lineman can't overpower him. Colon would obviously have to get the feel and motion of a right guard position. Also that type of injury he sustained really could hurt his push off the line. And Carimi would be unproven as a RT. While I love Big Gabe with him being from my home state; the NFL is a different monster and he is projecting to change positions. This is all speculation of course.

steelerkeylargo
01-07-2011, 07:42 PM

I would actually like that to some degree. Think about it. Colon has perfect size for a RG and his downfall at tackle has always been his pass blocking while being a very good run blocker. There is obvious questions. Like can he pull effectively? How fast can he learn and get a feel for the position? Well he have the same athleticism before he tore his Achilles. With that we could play Flo out there and maybe draft a guy like Gabe Carimi. It would be like 2 draft picks in 1 because we are possible filling 2 needs on the OL. Carimi is projected as a very solid right tackle in the NFL. I've been to a couple games Big Gabe played in this year and I think the Outland winner has all the attributes for being a good right tackle. While he does not have athleticism to pass block on the left side he certainly has enough to block on the right side. I could imagine Starks Kemo Pouncy Colon Carimi being a solid line. Of course I'm going out on a limb here because there is downfalls at each position. Starks has always been average and who expects him to take his game to the next level after injury. Kemo has strengths and weaknesses as he pulls and moves good for hid size, but lacks some athleticism to get a cut off block on the backside and pass block in some situations. Pouncey is very athletic and good but he has to get stronger so d-lineman can't overpower him. Colon would obviously have to get the feel and motion of a right guard position. Also that type of injury he sustained really could hurt his push off the line. And Carimi would be unproven as a RT. While I love Big Gabe with him being from my home state; the NFL is a different monster and he is projecting to change positions. This is all speculation of course.

The only talk of Colon moving to guard has been done on this board.

hawaiiansteel
01-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Mel Kiper currently has Mike Pouncey listed at #25 overall...

#25: Mike Pouncey C/G

Analysis: Bloodlines are there, as is a comparable skill set to brother Maurkice. Versatile interior blocker, ready to start.

steelblood
01-08-2011, 04:52 PM

Foster's run blocking is hardly "superb". If it were superb, Mendenhall's average would be better since Foster began starting, not the same or worse. If it were superb, running to the right would be more effective especially with Pouncey and Adams on either side of him. Foster is a decent run blocker if asked to drive block or down block on a DT or DE. If asked to do anything else, he is average at best.

grotonsteel
01-08-2011, 05:38 PM

Foster's run blocking is hardly "superb". If it were superb, Mendenhall's average would be better since Foster began starting, not the same or worse. If it were superb, running to the right would be more effective especially with Pouncey and Adams on either side of him. Foster is a decent run blocker if asked to drive block or down block on a DT or DE. If asked to do anything else, he is average at best.

Mendy YPA started getting affected because Max Starks went down. Max is a great run blocker. Steelers replace Max Starks with J Scott who can't run block. None what so ever.

Foster replaced Essex as a starting RG and i don't have any doubt in my mind that Foster is a far better player than Essex.

Hence i am all for drafting an OT in Rd 1-Rd 2 if he has talent to develop into a 10 years starter in NFL. He can play as OG for a year and then kick to RT. I am not too thrilled with Scott and Adams (because of his age) next year as starter. Starks is a good tackle but herniated disc injury to a 350 lbs man is not a great sign and i would not sign Willie Colon to a contract even if it is cheap.

Steelers essentially have Starks and Adams at OT who if healthy are good OT but i would not bet on that especially if there is 18 games season.

Shoe
01-08-2011, 08:32 PM
I'm gonna feel a little let down if we draft the other Pouncey. I think Foster looks good. Heck, I like Legursky too. I really don't think we need an OG.

I'm hoping we draft defense, defense, and more defense.

Remember the formula:

Ben + Defense = SuperBowls

1) You don't have to worry about Pouncey at 32. I don't get how he would slip anywhere past 20, when you consider his skill set and his brother's blueprint. If they stuck Maurkice in this year's draft (which from what I understand, that his brother is regarded as well as him), no way he gets past TEN. So I can't see Mike sliding much.

2) Ben + Defense is fine, considering Ben is healthy. If he continues to take beatings, he won't be around (at prime level) forever. If you want to preserve our best commodity (#7), keep him from getting hit as much.

Where is Wisniewski? I thought he was coming out? If he isn't a "blue chipper" even better. I'd love to see us pick him in Round 2, 3.

Irongut
01-08-2011, 08:43 PM
I like Carmichael but think he'll last a bit longer and think others can be had there.

isonator07
01-09-2011, 02:02 PM

lol.

you're out of your mind.

Personally, I think both our guards could be replaced next year including Kemo. I think Kemo is vastly overrated and overpaid. He can pull to the right side but thats a small percentage of his job. He is supposively our best run blocker but yet we can't run to the left side of the line which happens to be his side. And don't place all the blame on Scott for that. We couldn't run behind Kemo even when Starks was our LT. As far as pass blocking, he's below average.
:Agree Add me to the Kemo overrated club

Irongut
01-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Kemo isn't going anywhere. He'll be here for years to come.