PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Luck staying at Stanford!!

Dee Dub
01-06-2011, 06:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

I admire what he is doing but...the comment about the NFL isnít going anywhere is wrong if he gets injured to the point where he canít play the game anymore.

birtikidis
01-06-2011, 06:14 PM
yea, this really bummed me out when I heard about it this morning.
I don't think Pouncey will be there when we draft now :(

feltdizz
01-06-2011, 06:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

I admire what he is doing but...the comment about the NFL isnít going anywhere is wrong if he gets injured to the point where he canít play the game anymore.

This is great news. All they talk about in Charlotte is Luck saving them. These guys talk like he is the savior of football as we know it. It will be entertaining hearing these guys cry on the radio on my way to work.

feltdizz
01-06-2011, 06:19 PM

Luck was top 3 on the draft chart. How does one guy change everything for us? I wonder if Pouncey is even seen as a first round talent given his struggle with snaps.

I know he won't be a C in the pro's but I think it still knocks him down a bit for teams that want a C/G.

grotonsteel
01-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Huge mistake i would say...Luck would have been a No.1 pick and Panthers are not that bad organization. I know education is important and stuff but at what price??

He is going to lose close to 40 million dollars. Rookie salary Cap will come in place, question is when and i assume it will start from 2012 unless someone told Luck that rookie salary cap will be in place from 2011 onwards. If Rookie salary cap will be from 2011 then it does not make much of difference if he stays in college.

Jim Harbaugh is going to Miami...3 O-Lineman are graduating. Not sure how Stanford running game will be next season.

birtikidis
01-06-2011, 06:30 PM

Luck was top 3 on the draft chart. How does one guy change everything for us? I wonder if Pouncey is even seen as a first round talent given his struggle with snaps.

I know he won't be a C in the pro's but I think it still knocks him down a bit for teams that want a C/G.
how doesn't it? I know this can be confusing and all but the domino effect..
and even with his struggles he's still rated the #1 center at this point. and with how dominant he was against PSU it just solidified his spot.

PSU_dropout43
01-06-2011, 06:32 PM
I called it Ryan Mallett #1 overall.

steelsun7
01-06-2011, 06:40 PM
This does suck .......he may be in Cleveland or Cincinnati next year

grotonsteel
01-06-2011, 06:55 PM
I called it Ryan Mallett #1 overall.

People say Ryan Mallet has single digit IQ....I hope Bungles draft him with their pick....

I would say A J Green has a good chance of becoming No.1 pick if Steve Smith is leaving Panthers.

Draft will be interesting now...

Sugar
01-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Well, maybe the kid wants to play football next year. If the indications are that the NFL players will be locked out next season, it doesn't do him any good to join a team just to sit.

I remember talking AJ Hawk's dad about this when he was a Junior. AJ would have been considered a first round pick that year if he had come out. He ended up being the 5th pick the next year. Heck, with the money you would make you could pay for your own school should something go awry.

hawaiiansteel
01-06-2011, 07:09 PM
People say Ryan Mallet has single digit IQ....I hope Bungles draft him with their pick....

well, he would fit in well with the Bungles then...

ScoreKeeper
01-06-2011, 07:14 PM
The school will take out a huge insurance policy for Luck in the event he gets injured. And he just does not want to go to the Panthers. I belive if the Panthers had not said they would take him with the number one pick, he would have come out.

Steelers33
01-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Big mistake in my opinion for him not to declare. Come on he's risking so much money not entering the draft. He should have a phone call with Jake Locker. Lol panthers fans must be so pissed at this, they got spurned pretty good.

feltdizz
01-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Big mistake in my opinion for him not to declare. Come on he's risking so much money not entering the draft. He should have a phone call with Jake Locker. Lol panthers fans must be so pissed at this, they got spurned pretty good.

Good for the Panthers... they pretty much shafted Steve Smith and the entire fan base by purging the roster and raising ticket prices. My company was begging for people to take Panther tickets...

IMO they tanked the season to get Luck... but they fired Fox and the whole freaking coaching staff so what QB wants to go to an organization with nothing in place?

The owner FINALLY gives a press conference 3 days ago and I swear to God as my witness the guy sounded like a senile bitter old man. He had food in his mouth for the first 3 questions...He bullied the reporters and called a girl out for not sitting in the front row.

Any question that he didn't like he just flipped the question back on the reporter. WTF?

I have no idea how this man and Rooney are such good friends. He sounded like the exact opposite of everything you hear from the Rooney's.

Irongut
01-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Blaine Gabbert likely to shoot up to #1 now. I'm sure he thanks Luck.

birtikidis
01-06-2011, 11:03 PM
I could see Fairly or Bowers going pretty high now. AJ Green is another.

aggiebones
01-07-2011, 01:11 AM
But isn't harbaugh leaving?
Bad move by the kid.

But money isn't the be all. As long as he knows what he is passing up.

tiproast
01-07-2011, 01:40 AM
The Pats own the Panthers #2 pick (#33 overall).

I can see the Panthers trading out of #1 now that Luck's not there. They need more help than just a QB. Trouble is, I don't see another clear #1 choice that anyone would want to jump up to get. There's no defensive lineman that's a Suh, or offensive lineman that's a Jake Long, that anyone would trade up to be sure to get. I don't think most GMs would use a #1 overall on a DB, RB, or LB.

hawaiiansteel
01-07-2011, 02:17 AM
Andrew Luck scrambles Panthersí draft board

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 6, 2011

Andrew Luck was widely expected to go to the Carolina Panthers as the first overall pick in the 2011 NFL draft. Luckís announcement today that heís planning to return for another season at Stanford derails those plans.

So where will the Panthers turn now?

If the Panthers still want to draft a quarterback first overall, theyíll need to accept the fact that thereís not a quarterback coming out this year whoís viewed as capable of stepping in immediately and excelling in a pro-style passing game, the way Sam Bradford did in St. Louis in 2010, or the way Luck would have been expected to in Carolina in 2011.

There are still a few quarterbacks likely to go in the first round, however. Missouriís Blaine Gabbert is probably the most NFL-ready of the bunch. When Gabbert announced that he was leaving Missouri and turning pro, he hinted that the NFL draft advisory board had given him every indication that heíd be a high pick. Gabbert isnít on the same level as Luck, but he could merit consideration for the Panthers at No. 1 overall.

The other highly rated quarterbacks all come with big question marks. Auburnís Cam Newton has been the best player in college football this year, but thatís been in a spread attack, not a pro-style scheme. Some NFL teams may also have concerns about Newtonís character.

Ryan Mallett, the 6-foot-7 Arkansas quarterback, has an amazing arm but looks a little klutzy and doesnít have a lot of touch on his passes. Washingtonís Jake Locker is an excellent athlete, but his accuracy is abysmal: He capped a senior season in which he completed just 55.4 percent of his passes by going 5-of-16 for 56 yards in the Huskiesí Holiday Bowl win over Nebraska.

As Darin Gantt of the Charlotte Observer pointed out, Luckís decision might have opened the door to the Panthers taking a non-quarterback, especially since they just spent a second-round pick on Jimmy Clausen last year. Various mock drafts have shown the Panthers going for Georgia receiver A.J. Green (the most talented receiver college football has seen since Calvin Johnson was at Georgia Tech) or Clemson defensive end DaíQuan Bowers.

Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley, LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson and Nebraska cornerback Prince Amukamara all may be in the mix as well.

And then thereís the option of a trade. In recent years, teams picking at the top of the draft have had a hard time finding trading partners, because who wants to move up and be forced to give an unproven rookie a $50 million guarantee? But if thereís a new collective-bargaining agreement with a sensible rookie wage scale, the Panthers might find some takers if they shop the top pick.

In any event, the Panthers had better choose wisely: They have the first pick for a reason, and that reason is that they were the worst team in the league this season. Oh, and they donít have a second-round pick because they traded what turned out to be the 33rd pick in this yearís draft to the Patriots to acquire the 89th pick in last yearís draft. They used that pick to draft Armanti Edwards, a wide receiver who played in three games and didnít catch a single pass as a rookie.

That trade illustrates the way good teams like the Patriots use the draft to stay good, and bad teams like the Panthers use the draft to stay bad. The Panthers have 16 weeks from today to figure out how they can use the first overall pick to break that cycle.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... aft-board/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/06/andrew-luck-scrambles-panthers-draft-board/)

Oviedo
01-07-2011, 09:06 AM
The school will take out a huge insurance policy for Luck in the event he gets injured. And he just does not want to go to the Panthers. I belive if the Panthers had not said they would take him with the number one pick, he would have come out.

It worked for Sam Bradford.

Plus from all indications his family is financially pretty well off. Its not like he has that kind of pressure on him to support anyone.

I also think the rookie cap will be in place for the upcoming draft. It is too central an issue to the revenue shell game they need to play to get the CBA done.

Ghost
01-07-2011, 09:34 AM
I really don't know - are the guys who get drafted going to be able to be signed to binding contracts with the huge rookie signing bonuses? Could Luck have worked it out with Carolina to be the first choice and quickly sign a $50 - $60 million contract?

Even if his draft stock doesn't slip he's lost money b/c of the pending rookie salary cap.

It's hard to fathom turning away that much money but Luck's not your average kid. His family is very well off so he's not worried about supporting them or a place to live. He's not just a QB. He's damn smart and will have a degree from Standford. Even in the absolute worst case scenario injury wise; he'll be getting a lucrative job. Not set for life with one signature type but not stocking shelves either. I think that makes a huge difference in how he approaches this. And senior year on campus taking a couple of classes and being THE MAN would be a heck of a lot of fun (hello ladies!!!).

Still a slight chance Harbaugh stays - he broke off talks with Miami. Does he want San Fran?

Bradford - got hurt but didn't affect his draft status. Jake Locker - his definitely went down by coming back. You just never know.

feltdizz
01-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Why does it matter if Harbough stays? Luck talked to Manning and Bradford and both advised him to stay in school. They must know something about the money situation and probably know Carolina is a freaking trap.

A QB will not save that team.... no coaching staff, minimal talent and a horrible OL.

grotonsteel
01-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Why does it matter if Harbough stays? Luck talked to Manning and Bradford and both advised him to stay in school. They must know something about the money situation and probably know Carolina is a freaking trap.

A QB will not save that team.... no coaching staff, minimal talent and a horrible OL.

I think if your team has a No.1 pick in the draft i would say more often than not that team sucks.

I would say this about Carolina though...its not like Bungles,Stains,Faiders or 49ers.

Panthers have great Tackles (Gross and Otah). Great RBs in Williams and Stewart. And a great WR in Steve Smith. I would say this if they can get Bill Cowher as a HC i don't see why Panthers would suck.

Is Panthers a SB bound team next year hell no but Luck can get drafted by a worse team than Panthers in next year draft.

grotonsteel
01-07-2011, 11:17 AM
I also think the rookie cap will be in place for the upcoming draft. It is too central an issue to the revenue shell game they need to play to get the CBA done.

I think its the only logical explanation why he is staying in the school. If rookie salary cap is for say 2012 i think he is really stupid to stay in school.

Its not like if you start playing in NFL you can't get a degree.

I liked what Golic said this morning...."Stanford is there forever but not NFL"

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2011, 11:31 AM
The Panthers will want to trade down to recoup the 2nd round pick that they stupidly gave to New England in order to be able to draft a QB-to-WR conversion project, but I don't see anyone that teams will be clamoring to trade up for at this point.

I'd say that Carolina will go with Bowers or Fairley at this point. They've been looking for a legit WR opposite Smith forever, and A.J. Green looks like the real deal, but it is exceedingly rare for a WR to go first overall (I believe Keyshawn and Irving Fryer are the only ones in the history of the draft).

I don't think Mallet is the first QB taken. I think Gabbert is the first QB off the board. It's possible that some team might prefer Cam Newton to Mallett, because they see how good Josh Freeman looks now, and Cam has a similar style to Josh. I'd say Mallett or Newton are the 2nd and 3rd QB's off the board depending on the preferred style of the teams drafting in that area. Locker has fallen to 4th in this class.

feltdizz
01-07-2011, 12:48 PM

I think if your team has a No.1 pick in the draft i would say more often than not that team sucks.

I would say this about Carolina though...its not like Bungles,Stains,Faiders or 49ers.

Panthers have great Tackles (Gross and Otah). Great RBs in Williams and Stewart. And a great WR in Steve Smith. I would say this if they can get Bill Cowher as a HC i don't see why Panthers would suck.

Is Panthers a SB bound team next year hell no but Luck can get drafted by a worse team than Panthers in next year draft.

Maybe.. but Steve Smith put his house up for sale... Otah had surgery I believe and until a HC is named all you have to go on is the Owner's words and honestly.. the guy sounded like an idiot in his presser the other day.

I live in Charlotte and trust me... this team is in limbo right now.