PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' run game has slipped

fordfixer
01-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Steelers' run game has slipped
By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer dlolley@observer-reporter.com

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/loc ... nning-game (http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/localsports/01-06-2011-Steelers-running-game)

PITTSBURGH - On the Steelers' first play from scrimmage last Sunday at Cleveland, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger dropped back to pass, but not before faking a handoff to running back Rashard Mendenhall, who carried out the deception by continuing as if he were running a stretch play.

A few seconds later, wide receiver Mike Wallace hauled in a 56-yard pass from Roethlisberger behind the Browns defense for a touchdown and the 41-9 rout was on.

Opponents are concerned with Pittsburgh's running game.

The question is, however, should they be?

Though the Steelers (12-4) ranked 11th in the NFL in rushing at 120.3 yards per game, and Mendenhall finished seventh with 1,273 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns, the ground game was sporadic.

In the Steelers' final eight regular-season games, Mendenhall topped 70 yards just two times. His yards-per-carry average fell from 4.5 in the first half of the season to 3.7 yards over the final eight games.

Mendenhall's season average of 3.9 yards per carry was the lowest of any AFC running back who gained 1,000 yards.

Injuries on the offense line and the way opponents have defended Mendenhall have slowed him at times.

"I think it's a combination of things with our running game," said Mendenhall. "The average as a whole goes down for a number of reasons, whether we're behind or ahead. It depends on a lot of different things. We've got to try and improve it. We're confident in being able to run it."

On the positive side, the Steelers played six games against opponents who made the playoffs. In those games, Mendenhall gained 464 yards and scored five touchdowns.

Roethlisberger says Mendenhall has been effective enough - particularly at the goal line - to keep opposing defenses honest.

"We've done some good things," Roethlisberger said. "When we need to run it, we do it and we do it well. He does a good job with it. Isaac (Redman) does a good job of filling in and the same thing with Mewelde (Moore). I think the running game has done enough that it opens up some of the stuff down the field with play-action passes."

One thing the running game has been lacking is long gains. Mendehall had only four runs of 20 or more yards in the last eight games as opponents have done a good job of not allowing him to bounce runs to the outside.

"I think teams are pretty familiar with us and what we do. They find different ways to defend it," Mendenhall said.

On a positive note, running the ball might not be as difficult in the postseason. Of the top 10 teams in the NFL at stopping the run, only three qualified for the AFC playoffs. Mendenhall won't have to face the defense that led the league in stopping the run. He sees that defense every day in practice.

"We've done a good job running the ball when needed," said Mendenhall, who was third in the league in carries with a career-high 324. "You always want to run it better. You're never satisfied."

Odds and end zones

The Steelers will practice today before taking Friday and Saturday off. They'll resume practices on Sunday as they prepare for their first playoff game Jan. 15. ... Several veterans were given Wednesday off, though Roethlisberger practiced.

flippy
01-06-2011, 09:23 AM
We should pass 50 times a game.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-06-2011, 09:50 AM

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/loc ... nning-game (http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/localsports/01-06-2011-Steelers-running-game)

In the Steelers' final eight regular-season games, Mendenhall topped 70 yards just two times. His yards-per-carry average fell from 4.5 in the first half of the season to 3.7 yards over the final eight games.

Was his average much higher in the 1st half of the season because we had a 3rd string QB playing for the first quarter of the season?

...Mendenhall's season average of 3.9 yards per carry was the lowest of any AFC running back who gained 1,000 yards.

Though he seems to be healthy enough, I am worried that if we do this next year the "wheels might fall off". Ref: FWP ==>> WP.

I think the Steelers did WONDERS for proving the effectiveness of their run game at Cleveland last week, at the goal line. It was almost like we said: "...no pass, no QB sneak, we WILL prevail with straight ahead running".

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-06-2011, 10:04 AM
The important question here is always "Why?". Is it because the D has put a greater focus on him? If so that opens up the play action game for the passing game. On that first play did the DB bite just a bit on the PA allowing Wallace to breeze by him that much easier? That would be a RM success as much as the QB who throws it, the WR who catches it, and the linemen who block for them.

Crash
01-06-2011, 01:13 PM
I'll give you two reasons:

Matt Spaeth and David Johnson.

They stink, they can't block me.

If we are going to insist on running the ball? Three wide and a TE should be the formation that majority of the time and no more bunch formation crap.

Spread these teams out.

hawaiiansteel
01-06-2011, 02:43 PM

I'll give you two reasons also:

Bruce Arians and our OL.

ikestops85
01-06-2011, 04:03 PM

They stink, they can't block me.

If we are going to insist on running the ball? Three wide and a TE should be the formation that majority of the time and no more bunch formation crap.

Spread these teams out.

You certainly don't agree with the Steeler coaches. DJ gets great acclaim for his blocking. It's the only reason he is on the team. How about we give DJ a call and see if he will go one on one with you? :D

pittpete
01-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Slow offensive line that allows quick penetration coupled with no blocking FB is whats causing this.
Also our runs are always so slow developing if you ask me.
Anyone remember that fake misdirection toss we used to run w/ Zeroue a few years back?
I loved that play.

feltdizz
01-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Slow offensive line that allows quick penetration coupled with no blocking FB is whats causing this.
Also our runs are always so slow developing if you ask me.
Anyone remember that fake misdirection toss we used to run w/ Zeroue a few years back?
I loved that play.

Plus we usually run the play clock down to 0 before snapping the ball.

Crash
01-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Spare me the fullback crap. Cowher's great I formation didn't win squat until Dan vetoed him on draft day 2004.

And, what formation did FWP got 75 yards with?

Hint: Not the I.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Spare me the fullback crap. Cowher's great I formation didn't win squat until Dan vetoed him on draft day 2004.

Crash, you may be right here.

OT - I was trying to think of who your posting style reminded me of, I got it figured out. It's that very sensitive counselor psychiatrist on that TV commercial.

[youtube:173oa7oy]eAdLruOIKmA[/youtube:173oa7oy]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAdLruOIKmA

:lol: :lol: :Cheers

hawaiiansteel
01-06-2011, 07:19 PM
:lol: :lol:

http://images1.memegenerator.net/SGTHARTMAN/ImageMacro/2900361/Why-dont-we-hop-over-to-mamby-pamby-land-where-maybe-we-can-find-some-self-confidence-for-you-you-ja.jpg

Crash
01-06-2011, 07:40 PM

Crash, you may be right here.

OT - I was trying to think of who your posting style reminded me of, I got it figured out. It's that very sensitive counselor psychiatrist on that TV commercial.

[youtube:2i254r66]eAdLruOIKmA[/youtube:2i254r66]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAdLruOIKmA

:lol: :lol: :Cheers

OUTSTANDING!

This is what I do below when we don't blitz.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z223/sakuramaxx/warfacegsh.jpg

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THAT'S A WAR FACE!

Irongut
01-06-2011, 07:56 PM

We all know you hate Cowher but are you really suggesting one long run by blind Willie trumps all the success of the Power I? Really?

Dan broke the tie between he and Kevin. You make it sound like he was completely against adding Ben. He wasn't. He simply felt they could add another player and then grab another QB, Matt Schaub. The year after missing on Schauby, they selected his te, Heath Miller. Much of the knowledge came from the extensive scouting of Schaub.

Djfan
01-06-2011, 07:59 PM
How about we give DJ a call and see if he will go one on one with you? :D

I'M THERE!!! Name the time and place Crash!

You're going down, BABY!!!

Oh, wait........

NorthCoast
01-06-2011, 08:12 PM

I think the Steelers did WONDERS for proving the effectiveness of their run game at Cleveland last week, at the goal line. It was almost like we said: "...no pass, no QB sneak, we WILL prevail with straight ahead running".......

The reality is, playing the Cleveland Browns (ranked #29 in the NFL against the run) did wonders for proving the effectiveness of our running game.

But, I will admit, there have been changes to the style and formations we are seeing lately.

hawaiiansteel
01-06-2011, 08:16 PM
The reality is, playing the Cleveland Browns (ranked #29 in the NFL against the run) did wonders for proving the effectiveness of our running game.

Mendy did have two 1-yard TD runs but overall ran 14 times for 36 yards, that's really not that good of a performance against the 29th ranked run defense in the NFL.

NorthCoast
01-06-2011, 08:35 PM
What I think people are seeing is the effectiveness of the running game improving:

consider we averaged 6.6 first downs/gm rushing this season compared with just 6.0 last season.

AND, in the last 3 games we averaged 7.3 first downs/gm rushing which would rank us in the top 5 in the NFL.

So, the trend is in the right direction anyway...

pittpete
01-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Spare me the fullback crap.

You're right, we had absolutely no running game with Williams, Lester, Witman and Krieder blocking.

“A fullback in the backfield he can probably see a lot of things a tight end couldn’t,” said Mendenhall. “(Fullbacks) being ballcarriers they know what you’re trying to do, they know where you’re trying to go and they can get there before you so a lot of times the fullback will end up at the same place after reading a play.”http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2010/05/30/steelers-rb-mendenhall-says-a-fullback-would-be-a-welcome-sight/

Makes me laugh :roll:

Crash
01-06-2011, 11:48 PM
You're right, we had absolutely no running game with Williams, Lester, Witman and Krieder blocking.

All those Cowher fullbacks.

All those Cowher running teams.

All that I formation.

And yet, they didn't win anything until they finally invested in a franchise QB.

This is a QB/passing league now.

pittpete
01-07-2011, 04:17 PM
IIRC the title of the post was "Steelers' run game has slipped"
I gave a reason why I believe the run game has slipped and you say "Spare me the fullback crap."
You also say Spaeth and Johnson cant block for crap.
Then you talk about franchise QB's and how the league is a passing league.
You also seem to attack Cowher.

You're all over the place bro. :Blah

hawaiiansteel
01-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Running back Moore returns to practice for Steelers

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, January 7, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-01-06/mewelde-a.jpg

Mewelde Moore
Christopher Horner | Tribune-Review

• Running back Mewelde Moore returned to practice Thursday, as the Steelers concluded their work week. Still not practicing were right tackle Flozell Adams, receiver Hines Ward, safety Troy Polamalu, linebackers James Harrison and James Farrior, cornerback Bryant McFadden and defensive end Aaron Smith. All except Smith, who dressed for practice but didn't participate, are scheduled to practice when players return Sunday. Smith's status for the Jan. 15 playoff game at Heinz Field remains uncertain.

• Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and left guard Chris Kemoeatu switched jerseys at practice. Roethlisberger wore No. 68 and Kemoeatu wore No. 7.

• Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey is happy with the direction the running game is headed. "We like the things that we're doing,'' Pouncey said. Told that the majority of running back Rashard Mendenhall's big runs have come on the right side this season, Pouncey said, "We like to keep it balanced. But if it's working, we're going to keep doing it until somebody stops us.''

• Ward said he'll watch the playoff games on TV this weekend but not as a fan. "We can't watch it as entertainment. I've been around so long, I can't watch it without critiquing it.'' said Ward, 34, who will be appearing in his 15th playoff game. Ward said the Steelers didn't prepare for any potential playoff opponent this week — with good reason. "Preparing for a team we're not playing is a waste of time,'' Ward said. "It's Steelers vs. Steelers (in practice). It's not about the other teams.''

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_717033.html#

Crash
01-08-2011, 02:32 AM
Dan broke the tie between he and Kevin. You make it sound like he was completely against adding Ben.

He was. Wanted nothing to do with Ben.

He wanted Rivers.

Then he wanted Hall.

When they were all gone, and with Ben still on the board, he then wanted Andrews.

Dan Rooney saved this franchise from years of ruin that Cowher would have created.

Just like Polamalu, Cowher didn't want him either, he wanted Alonzo Jackson in round one. Colbert made that trade with KC just so Cowher couldn't draft Jackson in round one.

Colbert was the one who bailed Cowher's pre-brain out of embarrassing, franchise altering situations. The two best players Cowher had on each side of the ball, and it was COLBERT and not Cowher, who wanted them there.

feltdizz
01-08-2011, 03:24 AM
Dan broke the tie between he and Kevin. You make it sound like he was completely against adding Ben.

He wanted Rivers.

Then he wanted Hall.

When they were all gone, and with Ben still on the board, he then wanted Andrews.

Dan Rooney saved this franchise from years of ruin that Cowher would have created.

Just like Polamalu, Cowher didn't want him either, he wanted Alonzo Jackson in round one. Colbert made that trade with KC just so Cowher couldn't draft Jackson in round one.

Colbert was the one who bailed Cowher's pre-brain out of embarrassing, franchise altering situations. The two best players Cowher had on each side of the ball, and it was COLBERT and not Cowher, who wanted them there.

Please STFU Crash... You are ruining the board with your constant bashing of every Steeler that isn't Ben.

Are you a Steeler fan or a Crash/Ben fan?

You have some good info but you keep getting in the way with your personal agenda. It would be nice to hear your info without the constant bashing of every Steeler who you think is a foe of Ben.

Crash
01-08-2011, 04:06 AM

He wanted Rivers.

Then he wanted Hall.

Please STFU Crash... You are ruining the board with your constant bashing of every Steeler that isn't Ben.

You have some good info but you keep getting in the way with your personal agenda. It would be nice to hear your info without the constant bashing of every Steeler who you think is a foe of Ben.

I'm sorry, did I miss where Bill Cowher was re-hired, and Alonzo Jackson was re-signed to the roster?

Can you point that out to me?

Get your head out of Vick's a$s and pay attention. I'm bashing the FORMER Head Coach of the Steelers who QUIT on his team over money, and praising HOF-er Dan Rooney, and his current GM Kevin Colbert.

fordfixer
01-08-2011, 04:06 AM

He wanted Rivers.

Then he wanted Hall.

Link?

Crash
01-08-2011, 04:40 AM

He wanted Rivers.

Then he wanted Hall.

Link?

You won't get the Troy scenario in print.

It's common knowledge among Pittsburgh media that Cowher didn't want Ben, and years later Dan Rooney in his book confirmed that it was he who got the ball rolling on Ben in the war room during the 2004 draft.

fordfixer
01-08-2011, 12:05 PM

He wanted Rivers.

Then he wanted Hall.

Link?

It's common knowledge among Pittsburgh media that Cowher didn't want Ben, and years later Dan Rooney in his book confirmed that it was he who got the ball rolling on Ben in the war room during the 2004 draft.
Thanks

hawaiiansteel
01-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Steelers not holding back with Mendenhall

Saturday, January 08, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201101/20110108steelers_330.jpg

Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall has 324 carries this season.

Coach Mike Tomlin once said he would run Willie Parker until the wheels came off, and, toward the end of the 2007 season, they finally did.

Parker was never the same after be broke his right fibula in a Week 15 game in St. Louis, an injury that culminated a three-year period in which he carried 913 times -- an average of 314 attempts per season.

The Steelers are hoping the same thing does not happen to Rashard Mendenhall, who has posted consecutive 1,000-yard seasons and became the first running back since Franco Harris in 1976 to lead the team in scoring.

In his first two seasons as a starter, Mendenhall, a No. 1 draft choice in 2008, already is being used at a more frequent pace than Parker.

Mendenhall had 324 carries this season, second only to Houston's Arian Foster (327), who led the National Football League with 1,616 yards rushing. That gives him 568 carries in his first 29 professional starts.

After Parker became the starter at the beginning of the 2005 season, he had 542 carries in his first 29 starts. While each back has the same amount of runs of 20 yards or longer in that time (20), Mendenhall (20) has more touchdowns than Parker (11).

His 13 touchdowns this season were one shy of the franchise record (14), set by Harris in 1976. Mendenhall was unaware he was that close to the Hall of Fame running back.

"That's pretty cool, but I don't really get into stuff like that," Mendenhall said. "I just try to improve and use every game to do that."

Mendenhall finished eighth in the NFL with 1,273 yards rushing, but his average carry of 3.9 yards was third lowest among the 17 backs with more than 1,000 yards. Conversely, he had 11 runs of 20 yards or longer, fifth most in the NFL -- an indication of the inconsistency from him and the running game.

In the season finale in Cleveland, against a Browns defense that had allowed an average of 118 yards per game to the previous three backs, he had only 36 yards on 14 carries and did not have a run longer than 7 yards.

Mendenhall is one of five offensive starters -- wide receiver Mike Wallace, center Maurkice Pouncey, left tackle Jonathan Scott and right guard Ramon Foster are the others -- who will be making their first playoff appearance when the Steelers play an AFC divisional-round game Jan. 15 at Heinz Field.

"We're doing pretty good," Pouncey said.

"Everything can always improve, of course. We want to be No. 1 in rushing, but we're not. We're still winning and we like the things we're doing and we want to keep pushing forward at it."

It won't be from a lack of trying. For a team built around Ben Roethlisberger and the passing game, Mendenhall's 324 carries this season were the fifth most in team history.

"I think we can improve and be more productive," Mendenhall said.

As long as the wheels don't come off.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11008/11 ... z1AV87uM2A (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11008/1116552-66.stm#ixzz1AV87uM2A)

Crash
01-08-2011, 10:30 PM
I swear that's an old article with a different date on it. Is Gerry that lazy?

feltdizz
01-08-2011, 11:52 PM

He wanted Rivers.

Then he wanted Hall.

I'm sorry, did I miss where Bill Cowher was re-hired, and Alonzo Jackson was re-signed to the roster?

Can you point that out to me?

Get your head out of Vick's a$s and pay attention. I'm bashing the FORMER Head Coach of the Steelers who QUIT on his team over money, and praising HOF-er Dan Rooney, and his current GM Kevin Colbert.

bashing is the only thing you know how to do....

I have no idea why Vick is even being discussed... I guess it's another chance to bash a black player. LOL

Irongut
01-09-2011, 12:03 AM

He wanted Rivers.

Then he wanted Hall.

Link?

Thanks
Every good draft pick = Colbert or Rooney
Every bad draft pick = Cowher
Haven't you learned that from Crash yet?

Crash
01-09-2011, 12:43 AM

Cowher didn't want Ben or Troy.

Sorry, just pointing out the facts.

Bye now.

Irongut
01-09-2011, 01:13 AM

Cowher didn't want Ben or Troy.

Sorry, just pointing out the facts.

Bye now.
Link?

hawaiiansteel
01-13-2011, 02:53 AM
Steelers' Maurkice Pouncey brings a championship resume

By Gary Mihoces, USA TODAY

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2011/01/12/steelersx.jpg

PITTSBURGH — Center Maurkice Pouncey, a Pro Bowler in his rookie season with the Pittsburgh Steelers, awaits his NFL playoff debut. That's a step up, but he is no stranger to high stakes.

In the 2008 college season, snapping for superstar quarterback Tim Tebow at Florida, Pouncey helped the Gators win the BCS national title.

At Lakeland (Fla.) High School, Pouncey's teams won three consecutive 5A state titles. His 2005 team finished No. 1 in USA TODAY'S Super 25.

"It's crazy, man, I think on every level I've won a championship. Hopefully it will be on this level, too," the 6-4, 304-pounder said on Wednesday before practice.

How about pee wee ball?

"We won the (local) Super Bowl… I think we were on the Packers," said Pouncey.

"I'm excited,," said Pouncey. "I just want to go in there level headed and play the game that we've always been playing."

When the Steelers selected Pouncey in the first round of the draft (18th overall), they talked a lot about him being a quick learner.

During a pre-draft meeting with Pouncey, Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler drew up blocking schemes on a blackboard.

"Coach (Mike) Tomlin and I sat in the back and watched, and we were very impressed at the way he could recall what he was taught and give it back to coach Kugler almost flawlessly," Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said after Pittsburgh's pick.

Teams praise every first-rounder on draft day. Colbert's confidence in Pouncey was reinforced when he quickly became a starter in the preseason..

His arrival was timely for Pittsburgh, which lost starting tackle Willie Colon to an offseason Achilles tendon injury and then lost starting tackle Max Starks in November to a neck injury.

Starks, who also played at the University of Florida, said he's confident Pouncey will be able to rise to the challenge of the playoffs.

"I've explained to him a little bit about how the playoffs are different from the regular season and how you have to pick your game up that much more," said Starks. "I think he's willing and able to take that challenge."

There is a legacy at the center position in Pittsburgh. It includes the late Mike Webster, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and Dermontti Dawson, a finalist this year for the Hall.

Pouncey is well aware of the history.

"Most definitely. It's pretty much ingrained in my head," he said. "Me and Dermontti text every now and then to see how each other's doing."

Webster was a nine-time Pro Bowler in the '70s and '80s. Dawson made seven Pro Bowls in the '90s. Neither started at a rookie. Pouncey is a rookie Pro Bowler.

In opting to enter this year's draft, Pouncey left Florida with a year of college eligibility remaining. He also parted with his twin brother, Mike, who had played alongside him his entire career. Mike stayed at Florida this season, moved from guard to center and enters the draft this year.

Might there be another Pouncey in Pittsburgh?

"Man, that would be a dream come true," said Pouncey. "But sometimes (if) you talk about it too much it really will never happen."

For now, Pouncey is focused on the Ravens. Rather than playing in the Pro Bowl, he'd rather to be preparing for his first Super Bowl.

"The Pro Bowl, that's exciting. It really is. But we have bigger goals," he said. "If we get this game right here and then move on to the next one and the next one, the Big Show, that would be a dream come true.

"I'd give everything I've probably ever accomplished for that."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... ncey_N.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/2011-01-12-maurkice-pouncey_N.htm)