PDA

View Full Version : Status of Steelers' Smith still in doubt

fordfixer
01-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Status of Steelers' Smith still in doubt
Thursday, January 06, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11006/1115954-66.stm

Aaron Smith has spent the past two days on the Steelers' practice field, wearing the same gear as his teammates and going through the same stretches and warmups. It is the first time he has done that since he sustained a torn triceps tendon in his right arm that caused him to miss the past 10 games.

But, soon as his teammates begin team drills and go through a light practice, Smith goes back to doing what he has been doing since late October -- watching.

And that might not change anytime soon, if at all.

Smith's appearance on the practice field has given hope to an imminent return, even for him. But there still are many questions and concerns from all involved -- his teammates, coaches, the organization, even the 6-foot-5, 300-pound defensive end himself -- about whether he can return any time before the Super Bowl, should the Steelers make it that far.

This much is known: Smith will not play when the Steelers open the postseason Jan. 15 in a divisional playoff game at Heinz Field. The earliest he will return is if the Steelers advance to the AFC championship game Jan. 23, though even that possibility is uncertain at this time.

But having him back on the practice field, even for just light conditioning, is a step in that direction.

"When all the information is in, the ultimate decision is up to me," Smith said Wednesday after practice. "I'll hear what everyone has to say and see what their verdict is and make an informed decision at that time."

The Steelers want to give Smith, one of their best and most-beloved players, every opportunity to show he can come back from his injury and play, even if it is in a limited capacity. But, in the end, Smith could end up like former offensive tackle Marvel Smith, who missed the final 10 games of the 2008 regular season and was placed on the injured-reserve list right before the playoffs when it was determined he would not be ready for the postseason.

"If he comes back, I don't want him to come back unless he can play," said defensive end Brett Keisel. "I don't think he should come back if he's 75 percent. He needs to get his body healthy. That's when he'll be most effective."

The Steelers have left open a roster spot for Smith, 33, since he was injured Oct. 24 in Miami. Still, they remain concerned about a recurrence of his existing injury, or even a new injury that might result from three months of game inactivity, if he plays. That would be another major setback for Smith because it would likely sideline him again until training camp.

The Steelers think Smith can play a couple more seasons and they don't want to jeopardize that possibility by having him appear in a limited role in the postseason.

"You don't want to force him back and reinjure it and start this process all over again and miss all the [offseason training]," Keisel said. "You definitely have to be careful."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11006/11 ... z1AFqKgVqU (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11006/1115954-66.stm#ixzz1AFqKgVqU)

fordfixer
01-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Steelers' Smith unsure of status for next week
By Mark Kaboly, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, January 6, 2011
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 16806.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_716806.html)

Aaron Smith hasn't ruled out getting back on the field when the Steelers host a yet-to-be-determined playoff opponent next Saturday at Heinz Field. The veteran defensive end, who missed the past 10 games with a triceps injury, hasn't ruled out missing another game. Smith went through a light workout with the team Wednesday. He said that if the Steelers played this weekend, he knows for sure that he wouldn't be able to play. "It is good that we have the bye week because I don't know if I could do it this week," Smith said. The Steelers left Smith on the active roster for the past three months with the hopes of having him ready for the playoffs. Smith, 34, said he has no timeline of when he will be cleared to play. "We will just see day-to-day and see what the doctors say," Smith said. "It is hard to pick a time and a day. I wish I had that then it would give me something to go for."

Ultimately, Smith knows it is going to be up to him to make the decision whether or not he's ready to get back to playing.

Linebacker James Farrior plans on watching a lot of football over the weekend, but he will keep it at just that watching. "I am still a football fan when I am not playing," Farrior said. "It is not time to analyze everything. You just have to look at it for what it is. The coaches will have all the game plans ready for us Monday."

Ben Roethlisberger was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week after the Steelers 41-9 win over Cleveland. Roethlisberger was 15 of 22 for 280 yards and two touchdowns.

A scoring change has credited LaMarr Woodley with a full sack of Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy instead of a half sack, giving him 10 for the season and tying him with James Harrison for the team record of three straight years with double-digit sacks.

Not practicing yesterday were right tackle Flozell Adams, receiver Hines Ward, safety Troy Polamalu, linebacker James Harrison, cornerback Bryant McFadden, running back Mewelde Moore and Farrior and Smith.

steelblood
01-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Ugh. It doesn't look good for Smith.

costanza2k1
01-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Got to say this bums me out. I think we're fine with Ziggy, but better with Smith. What really bugs me is that we had to let Gibson go to keep Smith on the roster. We may never know what Gibson may have turned out to be and he still may not make the 49ers based on the new coaching staff...I justify this gamble by thinking Smith earned this for all he's done and been through. Hopefully we can make the SB and he can get in a few snaps.

Oviedo
01-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Got to say this bums me out. I think we're fine with Ziggy, but better with Smith. What really bugs me is that we had to let Gibson go to keep Smith on the roster. We may never know what Gibson may have turned out to be and he still may not make the 49ers based on the new coaching staff...I justify this gamble by thinking Smith earned this for all he's done and been through. Hopefully we can make the SB and he can get in a few snaps.

I have to disagree. I don't think a Smith at 70% can give us what Hood has been delivering the past 3-4 weeks. He obviously won't be able to get 100%. Sorry to say, but time for him to hang it up and draft some young talent.

steelblood
01-06-2011, 09:42 AM

I have to disagree. I don't think a Smith at 70% can give us what Hood has been delivering the past 3-4 weeks. He obviously won't be able to get 100%. Sorry to say, but time for him to hang it up and draft some young talent.

If Smith and Hines retire, that will be a nice chunk of change to help sign our UFAs. That may be a morbid thought. But, that is what I think.

Oviedo
01-06-2011, 10:13 AM

If Smith and Hines retire, that will be a nice chunk of change to help sign our UFAs. That may be a morbid thought. But, that is what I think.

Hines won't retire. He is only 47 catches away from 1,000 for his career. The organization will do everything they can to support him getting that because IMO that will be a critical milestone for his HoF selection.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-06-2011, 10:27 AM

Hines' salary for 2011 is $3M with an extra $1M+ in pro rated SB (if my info is correct). I don't know about any earned bonuses for him along the way, but it looks like his hit next season will be in the $4M+ range. This season (again if my info is correct) his hit is $4.61M. If he retires or is released then there will be a hit of just over $2M remaining which can either be taken next year or split over the next two seasons.

Smitty enters the final year of his contract next year. His cap hit looks to be $6.1M - down from $6.6M this year - and we will save $4.5M of that if he does not return.

This was much easier to do when Steelerssalarycap.com was around. :lol:

Oviedo
01-06-2011, 11:02 AM

Hines' salary for 2011 is $3M with an extra $1M+ in pro rated SB (if my info is correct). I don't know about any earned bonuses for him along the way, but it looks like his hit next season will be in the $4M+ range. This season (again if my info is correct) his hit is $4.61M. If he retires or is released then there will be a hit of just over $2M remaining which can either be taken next year or split over the next two seasons.

Smitty enters the final year of his contract next year. His cap hit looks to be $6.1M - down from $6.6M this year - and we will save $4.5M of that if he does not return.

$4-6M should be about right for Woodley

aggiebones
01-06-2011, 12:28 PM
I doubt Smith starts, but it would be nice for him to be able to come back and put in SOME time as a 'sub'. Meaning he only plays X number of plays per game. No sense in taking Hood's confidence. But if Hood runs into trouble in the playoffs, then it would be nice to slide in a veteran that knows everything by heart. Next year, will we really go back to ASmith and Keisel starting with Hood coming off the bench? Or will ASmith slowly move to the bench? I don't know.

RuthlessBurgher
01-06-2011, 01:42 PM

$4-6M should be about right for Woodley

More like $8-9 million.

hawaiiansteel
01-06-2011, 03:33 PM
"The Steelers think Smith can play a couple more seasons and they don't want to jeopardize that possibility by having him appear in a limited role in the postseason."

I thought this was an interesting quote, I was worried that Smitty might be retiring at the end of this season.

with Smitty, Keisel, Ziggy, Eason and McLendon back next year I seriously doubt we will be drafting a DE very high in this year's draft.