PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Fans Should Root for Colts and Ravens This Weekend

hawaiiansteel
01-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers' Fans Should Root for the Colts and Ravens This Weekend

By mad chad (Correspondent) on January 4, 2011

http://www.eworldpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Peyton-Manning.jpg

The Pittsburgh Steelers proved all the experts wrong this year by going 12-4 and earning themselves a bye in the playoffs.

Now with a week off, the Steelers have a chance to sit back and watch the first round of the playoffs as fans, and have a chance to get healthy.

The Steelers will host a playoff game in the second round of the playoffs at Heinz Field. If the Indianapolis Colts defeat the New York Jets, the Colts will come to Pittsburgh to play the Steelers in the second round. If the Jets defeat the Colts, they will play the Patriots in the second round, and the Steelers would then face the winner of the Ravens/Chiefs game.

The playoffs are all about matchups. Obviously, the easiest opponent in the AFC is the Kansas City Chiefs. I would definitely like the Steelers' chances against the Chiefs in the second round. Unfortunately, I don't see the Chiefs beating the Ravens. The Ravens are clearly the better team, and should get the win.

I think the Steelers match up well against the Jets, Ravens and Chiefs. I think that the Steelers' easiest route to the Super Bowl would be avoiding the New England Patriots at all costs. The Steelers have only beaten the Patriots once since 2004, when Tom Brady played. The Steelers don't match up very well with the Patriots, and I also think that the Patriots are in the heads of the Steelers.

Which is why the Ravens and Colts both winning in the first round could be a blessing in disguise for the Steelers. The Ravens seem to match up very well with the Patriots. The Ravens defeated the Patriots in the playoffs last year and took the Patriots to overtime this season.

Even if the Patriots would play the Ravens and win, the Ravens would still give them a close and physical game.

Some Steelers' fans might be worried about Peyton Manning coming to Pittsburgh, considering that the Steelers' main concern and weakness is their pass defense. However, without a good running game, and a beat-up offensive line, I don't see the Colts winning a game in Pittsburgh.

I don't trust Peyton in the playoffs, and I think the Steelers offense could have a lot of success against the Colts in both the passing and running game.

If the Colts and Ravens do indeed win their games and we see these match-ups in the second round, Steelers' fans instantly have to cheer for the Ravens to beat the Patriots. If that were to come to fruition, it would set up an AFC championship game between the Ravens and Steelers at Heinz Field.

That would be ideal for the Steelers. Not only do I think the Steelers would be favored to win that game, I would feel confident about a victory, assuming all of the Steelers' key players are healthy.

The Ravens did beat the Steelers earlier in the year, but Ben Roethlisberger did not play. The Steelers have won six straight meetings against the Ravens with Ben as the starting QB. Ben might not light up the scoreboard against the Ravens, but he seems to give the Steelers an extra lift mentally. No way the Ravens come to Heinz Field and beat the Steelers in the AFC Championship game.

Some Steelers' fans say that they would like nothing more than to go up to Foxboro and beat the Patriots. I think that's foolish. The Patriots own the Steelers. The Steelers don't need to beat the Patriots in order to solidify a Super Bowl. If the Steelers get to and win the Super Bowl without facing the Patriots, it won't take anything away from it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5616 ... is-weekend (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/561609-pittsburgh-steelers-fans-should-root-for-the-colts-and-the-ravens-this-weekend)

hawaiiansteel
01-05-2011, 04:01 PM
2011 NFL Playoffs: Every Team's Easiest, Toughest Path to the Super Bowl

By Mike Reiter (Contributor) on January 2, 2011

2. Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4)

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/603/848/107776361_display_image.jpg?1293782410

Jared Wickerham/Getty Images

Easiest Road to the Super Bowl

Divisional Round: vs. No. 4 Kansas City Chiefs

Other possible opponents: No. 3 Colts, No. 5 Ravens

Championship Round: vs. No. 6 New York Jets

Other possible opponents: No. 1 Patriots, No. 4 Chiefs, No. 5 Ravens

Toughest Road to the Super Bowl

Divisional Round: vs. No. 5 Baltimore Ravens

Championship Round: at No. 1 New England Patriots

Realistic Road to the Super Bowl

Divisional Round: vs No. 3 Indianapolis Colts

Championship Round: at No. 1 New England Patriots

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/557879-2011-nfl-playoffs-every-teams-easiest-toughest-path-to-the-super-bowl/page/4

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-05-2011, 04:21 PM
No preferences....we take the path that leads us there.

flippy
01-05-2011, 04:25 PM
The Ravens worry me less than anyone.

Iron Shiek
01-05-2011, 05:26 PM
I feel very confident that we would beat the Colts. But the writer makes it seem as if we shouldn't even show up and would win just by watching the colts play against themselves.

While the Colts haven't been a rushing machine, they've gotten Addai back at the right time, and Donald Brown and Javarris James have built up some good experience this year. That could forge a solid rotation. If the running game gets going, the passing game is likely to click for them.

On the other side of the ball though, their secondary and linebacking corp is awful, we'd have our way with them. Once that happens and Peyton starts forcing things, our defense will capitalize.

But its not a freakin gimme.

hawaiiansteel
01-05-2011, 08:05 PM
The Ravens worry me less than anyone.

I'm not worried about this guy either... :moon

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Original_Photo/2011/01/05/tom__1294232107_4316.jpg

NW Steeler
01-05-2011, 08:16 PM
I would rather the Steelers NOT play the Ravens in the divisional round. AFCC? Sure.

Colts, then Ratbirds/Gaytriots.

feltdizz
01-05-2011, 08:30 PM
I still think our DB's will get exposed against an elite QB. Our D looks better and so does our O but it was against Carolina and a Browns team that mailed it in.

I'm rooting for a lot of injuries next week.

Shawn
01-05-2011, 09:33 PM
This author is a wise man.

Some Steelers' fans say that they would like nothing more than to go up to Foxboro and beat the Patriots. I think that's foolish. The Patriots own the Steelers. The Steelers don't need to beat the Patriots in order to solidify a Super Bowl. If the Steelers get to and win the Super Bowl without facing the Patriots, it won't take anything away from it.

I agree. I don't think the Pats are the better team. But, I don't think the Steelers match up well with them.

I agree we beat both the Colts and the Ravens.

fordfixer
01-05-2011, 10:36 PM

I agree. I don't think the Pats are the better team. But, I don't think the Steelers match up well with them.

I would still like to see the Steelers go into their house and knock them out of the playoff's :tt1 :tt1

BradshawsHairdresser
01-05-2011, 11:54 PM

I would still like to see the Steelers go into their house and knock them out of the playoff's :tt1 :tt1
:Agree

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-06-2011, 12:21 AM

:Agree

:Agree also, the only caveat being I'm pretty sure Bellicheat has the opposing clubhouse wired, and so I'd actually rather not go up there.

What a scandal that people can't even feel secure in their locker room at half time ...

MCHammer
01-06-2011, 12:48 AM
I disagree Shawn. I'm sick of winning SB trophies without beating the giant Pat elephant in the room. We're either better or we're not. If we're not, they deserve the trophy. That's just how I was raised. I'll take the trophy either way, but I do want the matchup.

That said, I have no problem wishing to play them after the Ravens soften them up first. It is only fair since we play them twice a year each year and have to deal with the casualties all regular season long (including against the pats).

sentinel33
01-06-2011, 03:01 AM
honestly, with the season the team had(off-season included), i want to take down the two toughest teams if thats possible.
We have beaten the ravens and while they beat us at home, we didnt have Ben. The majority i feel seem to believe we would beat the ravens at home with ben and i am in agreement with this notion.
Even though we lost to the jets it was by 5 and we spotted them 7 right off the bat. The steelers have been playing a different brand of football since that loss and they dont scare me.
The chiefs are intriguing but there strength plays right into ours(there run game vs. our run D). couldnt name another WR on the team aside from Bowe.
I want the colts and then i want to go up to foxborough. After we beat both of these teams whoever we play in the superbowl will know they are in for a serious game. I want this team to get the brady monkey off its back and what better way to do that than to go into there house and spoil the party.
And if we lose, so be it.
to be the best you have to beat the best. The patriots are the best and until a team beats them thats how it will stay.
and beating those two teams and securing a 7th Lombardi would be truly epic. almost unbelievable... ALMOST

Shawn
01-06-2011, 11:03 AM
I disagree Shawn. I'm sick of winning SB trophies without beating the giant Pat elephant in the room. We're either better or we're not. If we're not, they deserve the trophy. That's just how I was raised. I'll take the trophy either way, but I do want the matchup.

That said, I have no problem wishing to play them after the Ravens soften them up first. It is only fair since we play them twice a year each year and have to deal with the casualties all regular season long (including against the pats).

I just can't agree with that. You can be better than a team but not match up well with them. I do not think the Pats are a better team. But, I do believe their greatest strength (QB) plays right into our greatest weakness. While I would love to go into Foxboro and stomp a hole in em on our way to another SB...it's not my primary concern. If someone takes them out before we get to the AFC Championship then I won't be crying.

NW Steeler
01-06-2011, 12:19 PM
I also was in the camp of wanting to go thru Foxboro on the way to the SB. I'd still like to see us beat them, but more than anything, I want to see the Steelers in the SB. At the same time, I will not root for them to lose, even though I would love to see the AFCC in Pittsburgh. Line up and play whomever is in front of you. This team has a resolve and a lot of guys that have been there. I like our chances no matter who we play, even the "mighty" Gaytriots.

MCHammer
01-06-2011, 03:17 PM
You can be better than a team but not match up well with them

They beat us this year and have a better record. Regardless of the matchups - we need to beat them in the playoffs to be the better team IMO.

The Pats - based on "matchups" - shouldn't be outplaying everyone I might add. It's not like this is the most talented squad they've fielded in the last decade. They are simply outplaying near everyone they come up against, and that's largely due to Brady's talent and Belichick's ability to prepare his team each week.

NC Steeler Fan
01-06-2011, 03:53 PM
The playoffs are littered with the "better" teams that lost.

It's about doing what you have to do when you have to do it.

The team that does that consistently deserves to win the Super Bowl.

Just my two cents...

Shawn
01-06-2011, 04:05 PM
You can be better than a team but not match up well with them

They beat us this year and have a better record. Regardless of the matchups - we need to beat them in the playoffs to be the better team IMO.

The Pats - based on "matchups" - shouldn't be outplaying everyone I might add. It's not like this is the most talented squad they've fielded in the last decade. They are simply outplaying near everyone they come up against, and that's largely due to Brady's talent and Belichick's ability to prepare his team each week.

The Pats were beat by the Browns by 20 and we smoked em. They struggle with the Ravens who we own. This is obviously a match up problem not a better than us problem. They are not beating everyone nor are they unbeatable.

To prove you are the best team in the NFL you must win the SB. I doubt many would argue that. If we win the SB...no matter how it goes down...we are the best in the NFL and we proved it. We do not have to go to Foxboro to prove that. But, in all honesty I think you will get your wish. I think it will be a Steelers Pats rematch.

What I know is this...LeBeau had better have D's Brady has never seen before. Arians had better call the game of his life. And the players will have to execute. If we can get pressure without selling the farm, hang onto the ball and not take silly penalties we will win this game. If Lebeau tries to bring heat with 7 and 8 guys all game...Brady will eat the D up. If Lebeau tries to play back on Brady...he will dissect that D. We must score points, and 4-5 guys must be able to get significant pressure.

Shawn
01-06-2011, 04:07 PM
The playoffs are littered with the "better" teams that lost.

It's about doing what you have to do when you have to do it.

The team that does that consistently deserves to win the Super Bowl.

Just my two cents...

$$$

The measure of the greatest team isn't "who can beat the Pats". The measure is a SB ring.

MCHammer
01-06-2011, 06:06 PM
They are not beating everyone nor are they unbeatable.

Agreed. I know we can beat them and that is why I don't want to dodge them. Your list of things we need to do to win says the matchup problem is not so much in personnel, as it is in coaching.

They outcoach us.

We really do have the better "team" in terms of athletes. Our coaching just doesn't measure up to Belichick. It's a tough thing to write, but it seems to me that the major difference between us and them is that BB always has his team prepared to execute a game plan designed specifically for us.

Hopefully, our coaches do the same vs. the Patriots. I agree most of it comes down to LeBeau's ability to bring pressure, without giving up the long game. But not giving up the dink and dunk game is critical (which is what typically kills us vs. elite qbs). We need to find a way to jam the receivers on the line, shorten our cb cushions and fluster TB. We can't sit back, nor can we bring the farm.

Somebody posted an article earlier stating the Steelers have been making some these adjustments over the last several weeks. I hadn't noticed watching the games on tv. I'll try to pay attention next week. At any rate, we have to win that game first regardless or all this talk about New England is irrelevant.

Shawn
01-06-2011, 10:40 PM
They are not beating everyone nor are they unbeatable.

Agreed. I know we can beat them and that is why I don't want to dodge them. Your list of things we need to do to win says the matchup problem is not so much in personnel, as it is in coaching.

They outcoach us.

We really do have the better "team" in terms of athletes. Our coaching just doesn't measure up to Belichick. It's a tough thing to write, but it seems to me that the major difference between us and them is that BB always has his team prepared to execute a game plan designed specifically for us.

Hopefully, our coaches do the same vs. the Patriots. I agree most of it comes down to LeBeau's ability to bring pressure, without giving up the long game. But not giving up the dink and dunk game is critical (which is what typically kills us vs. elite qbs). We need to find a way to jam the receivers on the line, shorten our cb cushions and fluster TB. We can't sit back, nor can we bring the farm.

Somebody posted an article earlier stating the Steelers have been making some these adjustments over the last several weeks. I hadn't noticed watching the games on tv. I'll try to pay attention next week. At any rate, we have to win that game first regardless or all this talk about New England is irrelevant.

I would have to agree with your assessment. We have not matched up well in the past because Brady>Steeler secondary and the Steelers were out coached.

I also agree...we need to bump, and play physical ball with the Pats WRs. We have to disrupt timing by either applying pressure or destroying Brady's timing with his WRs through physical DB play. If we get both...Brady will look very human.

Ozey74
01-08-2011, 08:21 AM
I want the Colts next weekend. I'm tired of seeing Peyton pout in a controlled environment & would like to see him pout in the below freezing temps that he would have waiting for him at Heinz Field.

Peyton in the postseason = :loser

hawaiiansteel
01-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Playoff Rooting Guide for Steeler Fans on Wild-Card Weekend

Posted on January 8, 2011 by ted

The most wonderful time of the year begins today when the NFL playoffs kick off. Of particular interest to Steeler fans are the two AFC wild-card games that will determine Pittsburgh’s opponent in the divisional round next weekend.

The goal of any logical fan would be for the Steelers to advance to Dallas for a chance to capture a seventh Lombardi Trophy, and positive matchups and avoiding a trip to Foxboro provide the best chance of that transpiring. Thus, here is what gives Pittsburgh the best chance of going to the Super Bowl:

It should be noted that Pittsburgh cannot play the No. 6-seed Jets, who would be locked into a divisional game at top-seeded New England if New York wins at Indianapolis tonight.

Of course how these teams fare this weekend and injuries could affect these odds. However, these are what I currently contend are the percentage chances of the Steelers defeating each of their three potential divisional-round opponents at Heinz Field:

Kansas City 75%
Indianapolis 60-65%
Baltimore 55%

Regardless of opponent, Pittsburgh should advance to an amazing seventh AFC Championship game in the last 15 years. But the best chance of doing so and winning that championship game would be to avoid playing the Ravens in the divisional round for three reasons:

(1) Baltimore has the best chance of defeating Pittsburgh of any of the three squads; (2) A game with the Ravens would physically drain the Steelers before an AFC Championship game the following week more than any other opponent; and (3) Baltimore probably has the best chance of winning at New England of any AFC playoff entry (including Pittsburgh) and at the very least, a game against the Ravens in the divisional round would bruise and batter the Patriots before Pittsburgh comes to town for the conference title game.

Steeler fans, however, should only think one game ahead, meaning that playoff novice Kansas City and its rush-based offense would be the ideal opponent in the divisional round. However, this Pittsburgh fan is assuming Baltimore will win at Kansas City on Sunday and am thus rooting for the Colts tonight.

No, I do not want to face Peyton Manning in the playoffs and the Colts’ undersized but very fast, Pro Bowl defensive ends Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis are a potential nightmare matchup for the Steelers’ slow-footed, makseshift tackle duo of Flozell Adams and Jonathan Scott.

That all taken into account, the injury-laden Indianapolis offense has only one healthy playmaker in Reggie Wayne, who can be covered all day by stud Pittsburgh corner Ike Taylor, the Steelers should be able to outmuscle the always-soft Colts on both sides of the trenches (Colts rank 29th in rush offense and 25th in rush defense) in what would hopefully be a blizzard on a slow and muddy Heinz Field.

Assuming the Colts win tonight, I will go ahead and root for Baltimore over Kansas City, believing that the Ravens would provide a sterner test for New England the following week and seeing no chance that the Chiefs could end up in Pittsburgh for a potential AFC Championship game. And if Rex Ryan ends his Peyton Manning misery tonight, then all Pittsburgh fans should root all-out for Kansas City on Sunday. Enjoy the weekend.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/01/p ... d-weekend/ (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/01/playoff-rooting-guide-steeler-fans-wildcard-weekend/)