PDA

View Full Version : Should Pitt hire Rich Rodriguez?...

PSU_dropout43
01-05-2011, 12:44 PM
he's available.

Pitt fans?

Oviedo
01-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Personally, I think it would be a good move and generate the buzz Pitt needs.

However there is baggage and Pitt will look for someone who is squeaky clean which means they will settle for a less capable coach and maintain the mediocre staus of their football program.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-05-2011, 01:14 PM
No way. I would take Tom Bradley.

feltdizz
01-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Hell no.. I can deal with a bad offense but a bad D is just too much.

ramblinjim
01-05-2011, 02:24 PM
I have no ties to Pitt but I would have to think they'd look at his performance at Michigan and nix this idea.

birtikidis
01-05-2011, 02:26 PM
I have no ties to Pitt but I would have to think they'd look at his performance at Michigan and nix this idea.
RR owned the Big East though. He's gotta be an attractive option for both Pitt and UConn.

ColumbusSteelerFan
01-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Doesn't look like it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5991836

Source: Pitt's job search under way

By Joe Schad
ESPN

Pittsburgh has begun interviews to replace former coach Mike Haywood, a source close to the search said, adding it's not expected that Rich Rodriguez will be a candidate.

Rodriguez was fired Wednesday after three seasons as Michigan's coach.

According to the source, among those who are strong candidates at Pittsburgh include Alabama associate head coach Sal Sunseri, Tulsa coach Todd Graham, Penn State defensive coordinator Tom Bradley, Wisconsin offensive coordinator Paul Chryst and former Florida defensive coordinator Teryl Austin.

Haywood replaced Dave Wannstedt on Dec. 16, but he was fired on New Year's Day after a custody issue developed in Indiana with a woman with whom Haywood has a child.

Haywood, who is free on bond, was charged with domestic battery in the presence of a minor and faces six months to three years in prison if convicted. His next appearance is set for Jan. 11 in St. Joseph County Superior Court in South Bend.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

papillon
01-05-2011, 02:56 PM
This shows you about how far off the map the Pitt program has fallen. This reminds me of the years just prior to Johnny Majors taking over and bringing them back to prominence.

No, to Rich Rodriguez, I don't like the spread offense and he's completely oblivious to the fact that you have to put a defense on the field as well.

Pappy

Crash
01-05-2011, 02:58 PM
If they hire Sal freaking Sunseri they will never be serious about being a top flight program ever again.

fezziwig
01-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Another misleading thread title. Dream on with all these big names that I've heard on the radio such as Tony Dungy, Marvin Lewis, Harbaugh to name a few and now RR.
The school has made fools of theirselves and crushed any credibility they may have had. The sitting in living rooms and all that goes along with recruiting is already in motion and for the Panthers to keep up with the pack is too late.
Our school couldn't afford the wish list of coaches some of these fans are requesting.

What a bunch of boobs to hire a coach that they obviously done so little background focus upon, he's fired before he sat down at his desk.

Hope to get a super star jumior college coach.

birtikidis
01-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Bradley would be a good hire. They should stay away from that bum from Florida.

calmkiller
01-05-2011, 03:22 PM
If they did hire him they better have the national guard at this years Back Yard Brawl. His first trip back to Morgantown would be ugly.

flippy
01-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Just hire Cowher and be done with it.

Pay him $10M a year.

steelblood
01-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Just give the threads an honest title, please. The attention mongering is annoying.

Oviedo
01-05-2011, 03:34 PM

Austin is highly respected in Florida and he would bring contact and access to the richest high school recruiting ground in the country. Western Pa high school recruits would not even get noticed in Florida. The challenge would be convincing them they really want to freeze their butts off 5 months out of the year.

birtikidis
01-05-2011, 03:36 PM

Austin is highly respected in Florida and he would bring contact and access to the richest high school recruiting ground in the country. Western Pa high school recruits would not even get noticed in Florida. The challenge would be convincing them they really want to freeze their butts off 5 months out of the year.
Ovi, I said that with a certain amount of sarcasm. Everyone knows I'm a UF homer.

feltdizz
01-05-2011, 03:59 PM
This shows you about how far off the map the Pitt program has fallen. This reminds me of the years just prior to Johnny Majors taking over and bringing them back to prominence.

No, to Rich Rodriguez, I don't like the spread offense and he's completely oblivious to the fact that you have to put a defense on the field as well.

Pappy

Is the Sunseri guy from Alabama related to the QB? WTF is up with PITT?

Crash
01-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Sal is Tino's Dad.

Mark Madden says he's been told Bradley is getting the job.

ScoreKeeper
01-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Sal is Tino's Dad.

If that is the case, it says State had the idea to go outside for Joe's replacement for a while.

steelblood
01-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Austin is highly respected in Florida and he would bring contact and access to the richest high school recruiting ground in the country. Western Pa high school recruits would not even get noticed in Florida.

I'm pretty sure if you took Woodland High School and stuck it in Florida, they'd get noticed.

Western PA simply has 15-20 times fewer African Americans than Florida. But, the difference is not football culture or football breeding. It is mostly population density and proportions. Of course decent weather doesn't hurt either.

The Sodfather
01-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Sal is Tino's Dad.

If that is the case, it says State had the idea to go outside for Joe's replacement for a while.

I like Bradley, and he deserved a shot top replace Joe, but going outside the program wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

fezziwig
01-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Just give the threads an honest title, please. The attention mongering is annoying.

:Agree

Oviedo
01-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Sal is Tino's Dad.

I think they will still go after Al Golden and he will leave Miami in a heartbeat to coach at Penn State. I'm sure there is something in his contract that states he can leave for the Penn State job. Good thing is he gets a year or two to develop contacts in the Florida recruiting grounds.

Bradley is a great choice for Pitt. He is probably the only guy with any chance to salvage a decent recruiting class for Pitt this upcoming year. The question is who might leave Penn State to go with him. Mike McQueary for OC?????

papillon
01-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Sal is Tino's Dad.

I think they will still go after Al Golden and he will leave Miami in a heartbeat to coach at Penn State. I'm sure there is something in his contract that states he can leave for the Penn State job. Good thing is he gets a year or two to develop contacts in the Florida recruiting grounds.

Bradley is a great choice for Pitt. He is probably the only guy with any chance to salvage a decent recruiting class for Pitt this upcoming year. The question is who might leave Penn State to go with him. Mike McQueary for OC?????

Bruce Arians - OC
Dave Wannstadt - DC

:P

Pappy