PDA

View Full Version : Time for field turf?

Mister Pittsburgh
01-05-2011, 11:47 AM
With the emergence of our speedy young WR, and speed back in Mendenhall, isn't it time to give them a track to run on instead of a mudhole? I know Steelers fans love to act like the Steelers should play in a rock quary every Sunday, but I think it is time to get away from the crap field and give one of the fastest WR in the league, along with the other two speed WR, a good field to run on.

Ghost
01-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Not disagreeing with you as Heinz is an abomination after Pitt and the high schools play (which they have every right to do so) but we've heard this argument before when they had "Fast" Willie Parker and Holmes and there was talk about needing to put down a surface that would help them.

It's not a $$ issue as the whole field is re-sodded a couple of times a year, but the Rooney's clearly don't see it as an issue. Just not happening.

Crash
01-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Yep. Look at the Pats.

Brady's numbers SKY ROCKETED once they went to FT full time in 2007.

No 30 TD seasons before FT. Two in three seasons since the full time switch.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-05-2011, 12:12 PM
i could see a crappy field being beneficial when we were all run with the Bus. But since then, I just don't see the appeal of a crap field.

flippy
01-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Our defense is faster than our offense. FT would help with D team speed even more than it would help our O.

grotonsteel
01-05-2011, 12:36 PM
I seriously believe Steelers need to get field turf.

Steelers O is all speed. Speed kills.

No wonder Steelers don't have a great home record.

I am not sure if sand dune help Steelers Defense or hampers it. If it hurts Steelers D they need to replace the field ASAP.

Oviedo
01-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Field Turf is the way to go. We have young quick offensive player and run and hit players on defense. The field hurts us as much as the opponents.

The only unit that may benefit from the crappy field is the OL.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
01-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Yeah lets get a rubber field instead of grass, perhaps everyone should replace their lawns with field turf or better yet a rock lawn!

If the field slows our team it must also slow the opponent so this argument is a push IMO.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
01-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Yep. Look at the Pats.

Brady's numbers SKY ROCKETED once they went to FT full time in 2007.

No 30 TD seasons before FT. Two in three seasons since the full time switch.

Field turf ? I think the additions of Donté Stallworth, Wes Welker and Randy Moss had a more to do with it than field turf.

flippy
01-05-2011, 04:20 PM
perhaps everyone should replace their lawns with field turf or better yet a rock lawn!

I've seriously considered this when the temp and humidity is in the 90s during the summer.

Damn the HOA covenants!!!!

Oviedo
01-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Yeah lets get a rubber field instead of grass, perhaps everyone should replace their lawns with field turf or better yet a rock lawn!

If the field slows our team it must also slow the opponent so this argument is a push IMO.

A desireable alternative here in Fla when you have to cut grass every 4 days during the summer.

Irongut
01-05-2011, 04:24 PM

Yep, the surface makes no difference in speed. It's a wash.

Since going to field turf, the Pats have also not won a Super Bowl. Crash used to say this is all that matters when he wanted to bash Cowher but now it matters? Sort of like regular season wins and stats being meaningless for Cowher but Hines' playoff success means nothing for the "dime a dozen" receiver, right Crash.

If you haven't learned by now, you'll soon know Crash will alter any argument, even the same one to hate on something, whether it be a player, coach or field.

If he wants to talk about something, he should talk about how Ben is playing smarter lately. He may finally stick around healthy enough to not just visit Hines in Canton with a ticket and palying admission.

It's not a real shock to me that when he plays smarter, he plays better. When he plays smarter and more timely, he practically doesn't get dirty, even with an OL made of replacements. Hopefully, the OL won't be blamed now for being awful because they can only do so much when the QB is a fool.

I showed the speed argument to be nonsense last week when it was brought up. IIRC, Wallace, our most speedy player has more or equal TD's and 100 yard games on grass, not field turf. Guess Wallace is the exceptiion? :nono

Irongut
01-05-2011, 04:25 PM

A desireable alternative here in Fla when you have to cut grass every 4 days during the summer.

I hear Brett Favre and his tractor are for hire.

Crash
01-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Yep, the surface makes no difference in speed. It's a wash.

Then why did Cowher's team struggle on grass prior to Heinz?

Cowher's teams DREADED playing on grass.

RuthlessBurgher
01-05-2011, 05:06 PM

I hear Brett Favre and his tractor are for hire.

Hey! If you want to make a funny, at least include a funny picture! :wink:

http://media.al.com/jdcrowe/photo/10-7-09lawntractorjpg-02275a5ab23a72ec.jpg

Djfan
01-05-2011, 05:11 PM
IIRC the players said last year (two years ago?) that they prefer natural turf.

Crash
01-05-2011, 05:40 PM

Thats what they say.

Then they vote their own field as the NFL's worst.

What they play on isn't grass. It's sand.

hawaiiansteel
01-05-2011, 06:22 PM
NHL footing the bill to re-sod Heinz Field

Wednesday, January 05, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201101/20100105penguins_500.jpg

Matt Freed/Post-Gazette
Heinz Field's turf will be re-sodded following Saturday's Winter Classic.

The Steelers will have another new playing surface for their divisional playoff game Jan. 15 at Heinz Field, and they don't even have to pay for it.

Because of the damage done to the field from constructing a hockey rink for the Winter Classic, Heinz Field will be sodded for a second time, beginning Thursday. The work will be completed Saturday, weather permitting -- one week before the Steelers will play host to the 4:30 p.m. playoff game.

And unlike the previous time the Steelers re-sodded the entire surface -- after the WPIAL championship games Thanksgiving weekend -- the bill will be paid by the National Hockey League as part of a contract agreement for staging the Winter Classic game between the Penguins and Washington Capitals.

The approximate cost to re-sod the surface is $100,000.

If the Steelers had not won the division title, they would not have had a home playoff game and would have waited until the spring to re-sod Heinz Field.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11005/11 ... z1ACb1rwij (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11005/1115565-66.stm#ixzz1ACb1rwij)

Oviedo
01-06-2011, 09:03 AM
NHL footing the bill to re-sod Heinz Field

Wednesday, January 05, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201101/20100105penguins_500.jpg

Matt Freed/Post-Gazette
Heinz Field's turf will be re-sodded following Saturday's Winter Classic.

The Steelers will have another new playing surface for their divisional playoff game Jan. 15 at Heinz Field, and they don't even have to pay for it.

Because of the damage done to the field from constructing a hockey rink for the Winter Classic, Heinz Field will be sodded for a second time, beginning Thursday. The work will be completed Saturday, weather permitting -- one week before the Steelers will play host to the 4:30 p.m. playoff game.

And unlike the previous time the Steelers re-sodded the entire surface -- after the WPIAL championship games Thanksgiving weekend -- the bill will be paid by the National Hockey League as part of a contract agreement for staging the Winter Classic game between the Penguins and Washington Capitals.

The approximate cost to re-sod the surface is $100,000.

If the Steelers had not won the division title, they would not have had a home playoff game and would have waited until the spring to re-sod Heinz Field.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11005/11 ... z1ACb1rwij (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11005/1115565-66.stm#ixzz1ACb1rwij)

I don't see how it is cost effective to keep resodding the field when you can put Field Turf in for about $700K. It has probably cost about $2-300K on resodding in the past 12 months and that does not even take into account the cost of field maintenance like cutting, fertilizer, watering, etc.

flippy
01-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Next week will be a clumpy, beach volleyball fiasco.

Oviedo
01-06-2011, 09:25 AM

If so, I definitely want to see the Colts here.

flippy
01-06-2011, 10:41 AM

I think Freeney/Mathis are the worst possible matchup for our Oline.

SidSmythe
01-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Doesn't Field turf also make the OTHER TEAM faster?? or just the Steelers?? :moon

ikestops85
01-06-2011, 11:07 AM

Thats what they say.

Then they vote their own field as the NFL's worst.

What they play on isn't grass. It's sand.

I don't think the steeler players voted it the NFL's worst. I think the players around the league did that. I'd prefer they play on whatever the players want. The only advantage I think we have right now with the grass/sand pit is in kicking FGs. Our kicker should always be more familiar and hopefully more successful than the other guy.

Ghost
01-06-2011, 11:59 AM

I think Freeney/Mathis are the worst possible matchup for our Oline.

Take it for what it's worth Flippy, but Trent Dilfer said this week he didn't see anyway possible for the colts to come into Heinz field and win.

Crash
01-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Doesn't Field turf also make the OTHER TEAM faster?? or just the Steelers?? :moon

It does. But our field slows us up and plays to the advantage of teams that aren't as good as we are.

It's time.

BDESteel
01-06-2011, 01:15 PM
It's not a wash if our receivers are faster than our opponents receivers. The DB's would be at a big disadvantage trying to keep up with speedy guys and we have three of them.

It would also help our young speedy defense. Particularly Ziggy comes to mind. One play during the Cleveland match up, Zigs put a spin move on his man that was faster than Mendenhall's.

It would have to protect the guys from injury, there are many types today to choose from.

Oviedo
01-06-2011, 02:44 PM
It's not a wash if our receivers are faster than our opponents receivers. The DB's would be at a big disadvantage trying to keep up with speedy guys and we have three of them.

It would also help our young speedy defense. Particularly Ziggy comes to mind. One play during the Cleveland match up, Zigs put a spin move on his man that was faster than Mendenhall's.

It would have to protect the guys from injury, there are many types today to choose from.

I think all out LBs would benefit. Timmons from the speed standpoint and Woodley and Harrison from the getting traction standpoint.

Our OL would suffer though unless we improved it. This is the key question, "do we keep in crappy for our OL if it hurts our other positions?"

feltdizz
01-06-2011, 04:30 PM
I like natural grass... but the PITT games and being so close to the River is just too much for natural grass or whatever they use.

I think our ground crew or the irrigation system is really to blame. I think there was a gap of 3 weeks where PITT was on the road, the HS games hadn't been played yet and we had also been on the road and the next home game chunks of turf were coming up.

While I love old school natural grass it's just too much of a headache.

Irongut
01-06-2011, 05:19 PM

It does. But our field slows us up and plays to the advantage of teams that aren't as good as we are.

It's time.
That's completely inaccurate. If anything, it helps the home team as they learn the bad spots and how to run on the field.

The grass should stay but they need to figure out a way to keep it from tearing up. Whether it be a new crew or irrigation, cover type, heat, etc.

Crash
01-06-2011, 05:53 PM
That's completely inaccurate. If anything, it helps the home team as they learn the bad spots and how to run on the field.

You can't avoid divots. Especially those that occur during games.

BOTH Ben, and Troy were injured in the same game against the Pats when they both stepped in a divot.

fordfixer
01-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Time for field turf? No thanks for asking :tt1