PDA

View Full Version : Love vs Heyward

Shawn
01-05-2011, 12:37 AM
Love is getting absolutely abused. Mark him off the list of possible draft picks. Heyward is looking better than I have seen him all year.

Dee Dub
01-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Love is getting absolutely abused. Mark him off the list of possible draft picks. Heyward is looking better than I have seen him all year.

Here we go again...and evalaution on a player based on one game seen. :roll:

Shawn
01-05-2011, 12:45 AM

Here we go again...and evalaution on a player based on one game seen. :roll:

Seems like most of your picks are having bad games. Love looks like he is stuck in mud. He is getting man handled. This is a monumental bad game for Love in the biggest game of his season. It has to count for something.

hawaiiansteel
01-05-2011, 12:45 AM

actually, the Buckeyes are doing a great job of moving Heyward around...but he definitely came to play tonight!

Shawn
01-05-2011, 12:48 AM

actually, the Buckeyes are doing a great job of moving Heyward around...but he definitely came to play tonight!

He might be moving around some but he has been man handling Love. The last sack he had made Love look like he was standing still.

Dee Dub
01-05-2011, 12:53 AM

Yeah he's been lined one on one versus Love a handful of times in one game...but to Shawn it's enough to say a guys sucks. :roll:

Shawn
01-05-2011, 01:03 AM

Yeah he's been lined one on one versus Love a handful of times in one game...but to Shawn it's enough to say a guys sucks. :roll:

I said he is getting abused. Anyone getting abused in the biggest game of the season goes on my suspect list. Call me a hack or whatever but I'm entitled to an opinion.

steelerkeylargo
01-05-2011, 01:37 AM
Love is a better run blocker than pass blocker and will most likely move inside to OG. Keep in mind he played RT last season. He does nat have LT ability at the NFL level.

steelblood
01-05-2011, 08:16 AM
I have to agree with Shawn a bit. I really like Love's nastiness in the run game, but he is showing that he can be bullrushed and finesse rushed. He is still an unfinished product as a pass protector. Still, I think he'd be a good G and eventually a RT. But, this game raises some real questions about his ability to play LT at the next level.

Heyward looks like a beast. Where has this level of play been this season? He has been good, but this effort was not consistently shown. For my money, this game really raises Heyward's draft stock a few slots, but it also leaves me with a few questions.

Oviedo
01-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Love is a better run blocker than pass blocker and will most likely move inside to OG. Keep in mind he played RT last season. He does nat have LT ability at the NFL level.

That is exactly the point all thre critics need to consider. Many of these college OL are not going to play the position you see them playing on Saturday in the NFL. Like Pouncey (who will be a Guard) and Wisniewski (who will be a Center), Love will not play LT in the NFL. He is an OG or RT. There are very few OTs in college capable of playing LT in the NFL when they come in and they are usually Top 5-10 picks.

Just got to accept the fact that LT is probably a developmental position for anyone we would take since we consistently draft so low, Just like we did with Max Starks who we by now should all acknowledge is a good, serviceable LT and deserves more credit than many give him.

feltdizz
01-05-2011, 09:40 AM
I have to agree with Shawn a bit. I really like Love's nastiness in the run game, but he is showing that he can be bullrushed and finesse rushed. He is still an unfinished product as a pass protector. Still, I think he'd be a good G and eventually a RT. But, this game raises some real questions about his ability to play LT at the next level.

Heyward looks like a beast. Where has this level of play been this season? He has been good, but this effort was not consistently shown. For my money, this game really raises Heyward's draft stock a few slots, but it also leaves me with a few questions.

every game I watched Heyward was a beast. I'm sure teams doubled him a ton. I wouldn't write Love off because Heyward abused him.

t wasn't like Pouncey was man handling Mt. Cody last year in the SEC championship game. One game doesn't define a career IMO.

Dee Dub
01-05-2011, 01:10 PM

Ok so letís drop one guys status based on one game, even though he played at a high level all season long in the best conference in college football and then raise anotherís status based on one game yet was inconsistent all season??? All the while when his team played the likes of Marshall, Ohio, Eastern Michigan, Indiana, Purdue, and Minnesota??

Do you guys hear yourselves??

DeMarcus Love held his own versus Alabama, Auburn, and LSU and the last time I checked those schools were pretty good.

So be it...you're entitled to you opinion. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

steelerkeylargo
01-05-2011, 01:24 PM

Ok so letís drop one guys status based on one game, even though he played at a high level all season long in the best conference in college football and then raise anotherís status based on one game yet was inconsistent all season??? All the while when his team played the likes of Marshall, Ohio, Eastern Michigan, Indiana, Purdue, and Minnesota??

Do you guys hear yourselves??

DeMarcus Love held his own versus Alabama, Auburn, and LSU and the last time I checked those schools were pretty good.

So be it...you're entitled to you opinion. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For the record all those SEC teams best DL players (Fairley, Dareus and Nevis) all line up over the interior lineman. None of those teams deploy great rush DE's who lined up vs. Love. He doesn't pick up the blitz well and doesn't sink his hips or bend well. I scouted him vs. Auburn, South Carolina, Alabama, LSU and Ohio St..

birtikidis
01-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Love didn't play LT he played "weak tackle" which means he and the guard switched to the weak side of the formation every play. seems pretty intelligent, but, gotta wonder if it's because the other tackle is just a better player or not. and before Dub runs his mouth, I'm an SEC guy and watch most of the games every weekend. I've seen a lot of Arkansas.

steelerkeylargo
01-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Love didn't play LT he played "weak tackle" which means he and the guard switched to the weak side of the formation every play. seems pretty intelligent, but, gotta wonder if it's because the other tackle is just a better player or not. and before Dub runs his mouth, I'm an SEC guy and watch most of the games every weekend. I've seen a lot of Arkansas.

That is true...Ray Dominguez played strong tackle and this year they switched.

Dee Dub
01-05-2011, 02:55 PM
..........and before Dub runs his mouth.....

Really?? Thats necessary?

birtikidis
01-05-2011, 02:57 PM

well, you're condescending attitude helps make it worthwhile.

Dee Dub
01-05-2011, 02:59 PM

well, you're condescending attitude helps make it worthwhile.

Well it isn't my intention to be condescending....if I am coming across like that I apologize.

birtikidis
01-05-2011, 03:11 PM
No worries man, my sense of humor comes across as me being an a$$hole. when I say something, take it like we're at the bar drinking a beer and having a good time. cause that's how I mean it to come across. It doesn't really come across that way though.

Just as I'm sure you aren't really being condescending. No worries man, I'd still buy you a beer and bust your balls on gameday lol.

birtikidis
01-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Let me ask ya this Dub, what do you think about Love playing weak side all the time? Watching him the last year it's been effective, but it seems he gets a lot of help by way of chip blocks from the RB whereas the strongside guy seems a little better at the point of attack.

grotonsteel
01-05-2011, 03:32 PM
I don't think Love had such a horrible game.Love got beat like a drum by Heyward on one play but i think the interior line was to be blame for breakdowns. I still believe Love has potential to be a good pass-blocking tackle at next level.

I would wait till the combine to discard any prospect. Normally linemen stocks go up/down after the combine/senior bowl.

Duke Robinson anyone?? Best OG prospect in a decade and went in 5th Rd.

Now i am not sure if Mallet is a RD. 1 pick. Apart from character issues that guy can't move even if his life depended on it.

Irongut
01-05-2011, 04:26 PM
It's Pouncey or Heyward in the first imo.

birtikidis
01-05-2011, 04:29 PM
there's a few guys in the first that I like. Pouncey is my #1 option though. It all depends on who falls.

Irongut
01-05-2011, 04:32 PM
there's a few guys in the first that I like. Pouncey is my #1 option though. It all depends on who falls.
Yeah, I can't see anyone falling that I'd prefer. He and Heyward are my top 2 of likely availables.

grotonsteel
01-05-2011, 05:03 PM

Heyward has been MIA almost entire season. Way too inconsistent.

steelerkeylargo
01-05-2011, 05:20 PM

I have to agree.

Slapstick
01-05-2011, 08:12 PM
I have to disagree. He is inconsistent in the same way Aaron Smith was called inconsistent when he didn't repeat an 8 sack performance the following year...

hawaiiansteel
01-05-2011, 08:20 PM
I have to disagree. He is inconsistent in the same way Aaron Smith was called inconsistent when he didn't repeat an 8 sack performance the following year...

true, but it's much easier for a NFL team to risk a 4th round draft choice on an "inconsistent" player like we did with Smitty than to risk a 1st round pick like we would have to on Heyward.

Irongut
01-05-2011, 08:57 PM

I have to agree.
Like many players his level and after they become noticed as a top talent, they attract attention and the center of gameplans.

We all saw what happened when Arkansas decided to single block him with Love, a 1st round talent. He abused him all night.

Shawn
01-05-2011, 09:18 PM

When motivated Heyward might be the best DE in the country. Few can stop him. With that said, his love for the game and motivation has come into question. He is noted for not only taking plays off but entire games.

No one can doubt his ability...it's elite. But, why the drop off in play this year? That would really scare me.

Oviedo
01-06-2011, 09:24 AM

When motivated Heyward might be the best DE in the country. Few can stop him. With that said, his love for the game and motivation has come into question. He is noted for not only taking plays off but entire games.

No one can doubt his ability...it's elite. But, why the drop off in play this year? That would really scare me.

As much as I'm a Denfensive Line advocate I would not go there in Round 1. Given the scheme where we don't have the DL going after QBs we can get good talent that fits what we want to later in the draft.

I still think we need to go OL or CB depending on who the best player on the board is. As far as OL I would prefer OT and let them OJT for a year at OG. If we go OG in Round 1 my metric is he had better be someone who starts from Day 1. If not go interior line later in Rounds 2 or 3.

grotonsteel
01-06-2011, 11:36 AM

As much as I'm a Denfensive Line advocate I would not go there in Round 1. Given the scheme where we don't have the DL going after QBs we can get good talent that fits what we want to later in the draft.

I still think we need to go OL or CB depending on who the best player on the board is. As far as OL I would prefer OT and let them OJT for a year at OG. If we go OG in Round 1 my metric is he had better be someone who starts from Day 1. If not go interior line later in Rounds 2 or 3.

+1

grotonsteel
01-06-2011, 11:51 AM

I agree.

If a player does not have motivation/love for the game i am not sure he will make it in NFL.

Heyward played against some pretty ordinary teams like Marshall,Ohio Univ,Minn,Eastern Mich. He should have dominated those teams even if he was double teamed.

Stats:
48-T 4-Sacks 0-FF 1-INT

Compare him to JJ Watt

Stats:
62-T 7-Sacks 2-FF 1-INT

steelerkeylargo
01-06-2011, 11:55 AM

I agree.

If a player does not have motivation/love for the game i am not sure he will make it in NFL.

Heyward played against some pretty ordinary teams like Marshall,Ohio Univ,Minn,Eastern Mich. He should have dominated those teams even if he was double teamed.

Stats:
48-T 4-Sacks 0-FF 1-INT

Compare him to JJ Watt

Stats:
62-T 7-Sacks 2-FF 1-INT

Heywards biggest problem is his lack of rush moves other than a bull rush. He doesn't have elite hand quickness or variety of NFL moves. Having said that these are coachable issues and I expect Heyward to have a long NFL career.