PDA

View Full Version : Ben talks about getting rid of the ball quicker.

Steelhere10
01-04-2011, 09:33 PM
According to the Ed report on Post gazette.

SteelAbility
01-05-2011, 12:39 AM
Well, what did he say about the topic? Link?

Steelhere10
01-05-2011, 06:59 AM
Go under postgazette.com steelers and look at top for the videos and Ed report.

steelblood
01-05-2011, 08:52 AM
geez. I didn't come to this thread looking for an errand.

SteelCrazy
01-05-2011, 08:57 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/multimedia/ ... Start=true (http://www.post-gazette.com/multimedia/?clipId=5438515&topVideoCatNo=178632&autoStart=true)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-05-2011, 01:15 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/multimedia/?clipId=5438515&topVideoCatNo=178632&autoStart=true

Thanks, Crazy!

Douchette doesn't come across as such a bouche on camera as he is in his interview transcripts. Probably too chicken to be as rude when on camera ... like some kind of cowardly bully!

Steelhere10
01-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Dude I was driving, I hate to crash in the ditch because I was providing you a link. :@)

flippy
01-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Dude I was driving, I hate to crash in the ditch because I was providing you a link. :@)

You type better while driving than most of us do sitting at a desk.

rockonsteel
01-05-2011, 03:35 PM

How the hell were u driving and checking/responding to posts? That in and of itself, sounds like the perfect formula for driving into a ditch.

Just sayin'.....

Rockon

hawaiiansteel
01-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Avoiding sacks key for Big Ben

By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer dlolley@observer-reporter.com
1/5/2011

PITTSBURGH - It appears Ben Roethlisberger has matured as more than just a person following his offseason legal problems and subsequent suspension by the NFL.
He's also matured as a player.

Roethlisberger was sacked only 32 times this season, the fewest in his career since 2005, when he was sacked 23 times in 12 games.

That's significant because, though Roethlisberger also played in just 12 games this year, he's lining up behind a patchwork offensive line that has used five different starting lineups.

In 2005, the Steelers' offensive line included former first-round draft picks Alan Faneca, Jeff Hartings and Kendall Simmons. Roethlisberger attempted 120 more passes this season than in 2005 (389-268).

As the Steelers (12-4) held their first practice Tuesday in preparation for the playoffs, Roethlisberger admits he's made a conscious effort to go against his instinct to hold the football and wait to make a big play. That was particularly evident in the Pittsburgh's 41-9 victory Sunday at Cleveland, when Roethlisberger audibled into a number of quick slant passes . One of those plays went for a 41-yard catch-and-run by wide receiver Mike Wallace to set up Pittsburgh's second touchdown.

"The line did a great job picking up the blitzes," Roethlisberger said. "But if you can get the ball out of your hands quickly, it gets the ball to the playmakers."

In previous years, both Roethlisberger and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians stated the three-step drop did not have a place in Pittsburgh's playbook. But with the speedy Wallace and rookies Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown emerging as playmakers who can catch the ball on the run and beat a defense, quick throws have become a weapon.

"We have guys capable of making those kind of plays," said Wallace, who led the Steelers with 1,257 receiving yards on 60 catches. "And Ben does a good job of reading the defense and getting it to us."

Roethlisberger said it's something he has tried to take advantage, particularly late in the season.

"If you have that quick throw to Mike or Emmanuel, whoever it is, take it," Roethlisberger said of Arians' advice.

Though his penchant for holding the ball and waiting for receivers to come open deep downfield helped Roethlisberger become one of the NFL's most exciting quarterbacks, it also led to high sack totals. From 2006 through 2009, Roethlisberger was sacked at least 46 times each season and was brought down behind the line of scrimmage 189 times - the most of any quarterback over that period.

"My style of play entails trying to make a big play, and that means holding the ball longer. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't," Roethlisberger said. "In this last game, there weren't any scramble-pass plays. That's just the way the game worked out."

Or maybe, Roethlisberger is evolving.

Odds and end zones

Defensive end Aaron Smith, who has been out since tearing a triceps muscle Oct. 24, did participate in some team drills at practice Tuesday. ... The Steelers are not focusing on any possible playoff opponents - Indianapolis, Kansas City or Baltimore - in their practices this week.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/loc ... rs-passing (http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/localsports/01-05-2011-Steelers-passing)

RKSteel
01-05-2011, 04:27 PM
I guess getting punched in the nose was a good of a wake up call as any for Roethlisberger.

Irongut
01-05-2011, 04:34 PM
About freaking time!

He finally gets it.

Crash
01-05-2011, 04:44 PM
About freaking time!

He finally gets it.

He's no Aaron Rodgers.

Hell, he's not even as good an athlete as David Carr.

grotonsteel
01-05-2011, 05:06 PM
About freaking time!

He finally gets it.

He's no Aaron Rodgers.

Hell, he's not even as good an athlete as David Carr.

Aaron Rodgers takes "holding the ball" concept to a new level.

I laugh at analyst who claim Aaron Rodgers is a better QB than Ben.

ScoreKeeper
01-05-2011, 05:46 PM
About freaking time!

He finally gets it.
I wish he would have got it sooner. Then we might have won a Super Bowl or two.

pick6
01-06-2011, 01:23 AM
Wow, this is exactly what I have wanted to hear. Ben is not changing he's just adding a new dimension. And to hear Arians is also on board is a good thing. Opposing defenses are in serious trouble. We have so many options on any given play from any personel grouping. Just a couple more things that I would like see.

The designed pass to Mendy in the flat. Just clear out the potential defenders and Mendy has some serious jets.

Next, after hitting a few quick slants, incorporate Ben's pump fake into this new dynamic. This little nuisance will lead to alot of wide open receivers.

BA is doing better but it sucks to hear that he once believed that a three step drop has no place in his offense, that's crazy, taking an option off of the table. But a 5 wides in an empty set on 2nd and 2 does have a place in his offense. Bruce is a weird dude