PDA

View Full Version : Ben engaged?

Mister Pittsburgh
01-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Wedding bells for Big Ben?
Tuesday, January 04, 2011
By Sally Kalson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
If Ben Roethlisberger is engaged to be married, he doesn't want to talk about it. But a lot of other people do.

The social media have been all a-Twitter with congratulations for the Steelers quarterback, who purportedly popped the question to a young woman from New Castle over the Christmas holidays.

Asked point blank today if he was engaged, Mr. Roethlisberger declined to answer, except to say he wouldn't talk about his private life.

The young woman is being named on blogs and Tweets, but Post-Gazette attempts to reach her have not yet succeeded.

Information developed by the newspaper shows her as a graduate of Laurel High School, where she was a softball star, and a 2008 graduate of St. Francis University in Loretto, Cambria County, with a bachelor's degree in health science, and, a year later, a master's of physicians assistant.

Sally Kalson: skalson@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1610.

First published on January 4, 2011 at 2:25 pm

RuthlessBurgher
01-04-2011, 04:25 PM
I don't care if he gives Ashley a ring in December.

I do care if he gets himself a different kind of ring in February.

proudpittsburgher
01-04-2011, 04:31 PM
With everything that has happened to ben and his personal life, quite recently actually, I find this unlikely, but we will see. I hope th ebest for him. I said all along he needs a stabalizing force in his life, and I hope he has found her. Best wishes to Ben

feltdizz
01-04-2011, 04:37 PM
The Steelers must be reading PS. All we talked about was Ben getting married and growing up a little.

I wonder where those "Ben lovers" who kept telling us Ben didn't need to get hitched or settle down are now? :roll:

They loved him so much they wanted him to keep trolling in bars and banging strangers because he didn't owe the Steelers jack. :lol:

JAR
01-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Supposedly he's been dating her on and off for 4 years. She must know the truth about GA too, that he didn't lay a hand on DTF....

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) Ė Saying it is his personal life, Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger declined to comment on Internet rumors that he is engaged Tuesday.

The blogosphere has been buzzing since Christmas that Roethlisberger popped the question to Ashley Harlan over the Christmas Holiday.

With details circulating such as the wedding will be next July, KDKAís John Shumway went to Roethlisberger today to end the speculation:

Shumway: Word has it youíre engaged. Is that true?

Roethlisberger: Oh geez. Listen, thereís always rumors out there about professional athletes, especially about me. You guys know that I am not going to talk about my own personal life, I donít do that. My one singular focus right now is on the playoffs, on football and trying to get to the Super Bowl. So, thatís what my focus is right now.

Shumway: So are you confirming or denying?

Burt Lauten (Steelers Public Relations): Guys, he did say he didnít want to talkÖ

Roethlisberger: Iím not going to talk about my personal life. You guys know that. Okay, thanks [Shumway].

Then, the football questions began.

http://burgh.us/q3

feltdizz
01-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Supposedly he's been dating her on and off for 4 years. She must know the truth about GA too, that he didn't lay a hand on DTF....

and Mrs. Favre sticking by Brett is proof the pee pee wrangler photo's are fake :roll:

Ben could have a video with Rex Ryan playing with his gimpy foot at the wedding and this chick wouldn't hesitate to say I do. :lol:

JAR
01-04-2011, 07:11 PM

and Mrs. Favre sticking by Brett is proof the pee pee wrangler photo's are fake :roll:

Ben could have a video with Rex Ryan playing with his gimpy foot at the wedding and this chick wouldn't hesitate to say I do. :lol:

Boy, you sure like believing that Ben is the perv the media made him out to be... why is that? You sure are in for a huge disappointment when the whole story is out..

SteelerNation1
01-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Damn, I hoped he was nailing Tom Brady's wife! Oh well.

spyboots
01-04-2011, 10:36 PM
I don't care if he gives Ashley a ring in December.

I do care if he gets himself a different kind of ring in February.

:tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

hawaiiansteel
01-04-2011, 10:50 PM

but hopefully not in a public bathroom...

feltdizz
01-04-2011, 11:03 PM

Boy, you sure like believing that Ben is the perv the media made him out to be... why is that? You sure are in for a huge disappointment when the whole story is out..

I just think it's funny how you think an on again off again 4 year relationship is proof he didn't do DTF. That makes no sense at all. Questioning whether he did or didn't shouldn't even be discussed at this point and time

Flasteel
01-04-2011, 11:09 PM
I wonder if anyone has broken the news to Crash...he must be miserable. :D

JAR
01-04-2011, 11:43 PM

I just think it's funny how you think an on again off again 4 year relationship is proof he didn't do DTF. That makes no sense at all. Questioning whether he did or didn't shouldn't even be discussed at this point and time

Sorry, but I don't have to think when I know the truth.

costanza2k1
01-04-2011, 11:49 PM

Hahahaha. That would be classic!

feltdizz
01-04-2011, 11:55 PM
No one besides Ben and DTF know the truth JAR. Acting like you know the truth is how crazy 4 year theories get started.

Flasteel, that was hilarious.

JAR
01-05-2011, 12:08 AM
No one besides Ben and DTF know the truth JAR. Acting like you know the truth is how crazy 4 year theories get started.

Flasteel, that was hilarious.

Nope, felt, again, you are wrong.

Crash
01-05-2011, 01:58 AM

You mean Ron Burkle's sloppy seconds?

fordfixer
01-05-2011, 03:03 AM
Big Ben's big secret gets out, but who is she?
Wednesday, January 05, 2011
By Sally Kalson and Karen Kane, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11005/1115618-455.stm

If Ben Roethlisberger is engaged to be married, he doesn't want to talk about it. But a lot of other people do.

The social media have been all a-Twitter with congratulations for the Steelers quarterback, who purportedly popped the question to a young woman from Lawrence County over the holidays.

Asked point blank if he was engaged, Mr. Roethlisberger declined to answer, except to say he wouldn't talk about his private life.

KDKA's John Shumway went to Mr. Roethlisberger Tuesday in the Steelers locker room and asked the quarterback if all the rumors were true.

Mr. Roethlisberger fended off the question like a blitzing linebacker.

"Oh geez. Listen, there's always rumors out there about professional athletes, especially about me. You guys know that I am not going to talk about my own personal life, I don't do that. My one singular focus right now is on the playoffs, on football and trying to get to the Super Bowl."

But while Mr. Roethlisberger sidestepped the question, social media sites rushed in with Tweets and blogs and postings, identifying his "fiancee" as a resident of Hickory Township, near New Castle.

Information developed by the newspaper showed her as a graduate of Laurel High School, where she was a softball star, and a 2008 graduate of St. Francis University in Loretto, Cambria County, with a bachelor's degree in health science, and, a year later, a master of physician assistant.

Armed with that information, the Post-Gazette went to Lawrence County, where the bride-to-be was said to reside.

They smiled congenially but, in the end, David and Gloria Harlan declined to comment on all the reports that their daughter, Ashley, was engaged to be married to the starting quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"I'm sorry but I have no comment at this time," said Mrs. Harlan, whose family lives atop a rural knob that overlooks Devil's Elbow Road in Hickory Township, just outside the village of Eastbrook near New Castle.

Another pleasant smile and "no comment" followed minutes later from Mr. Harlan after he pulled his pickup into the driveway Tuesday evening.

A few neighbors confirmed that it was common knowledge that Ashley and Ben have been "an item" -- as Amy Kunselman put it. But, no one had first-hand information about any pending nuptials. At least no information they were willing to share.

"They're a wonderful family," Mrs. Kunselman said of the Harlans.

Word of the couple's relationship began circulating in the community following a summer outing by Mrs. Harlan and Mr. Roethlisberger's stepmother to a little shop in nearby Volant.

Mrs. Harlan is said to have introduced Mrs. Roethlisberger to an acquaintance as the mother of her daughter's boyfriend.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11005/11 ... z1A8rkDZ7m (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11005/1115618-455.stm#ixzz1A8rkDZ7m)

Crash
01-05-2011, 03:11 AM
Funny though how they jump on Ben's engagement but #86's carousing that cost him a wife has always been off limits.

LordVile
01-05-2011, 05:40 AM
Funny though how they jump on Ben's engagement but #86's carousing that cost him a wife has always been off limits.

The CINCY CLOWN SHOW still makes me laugh.. cool sig :P

steelblood
01-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Ok. I'm glad if Ben is in love. But, this engagement (if it is real), certainly came very quickly after Ben began to "restore" his image. I hope he didn't rush into this. I hope he'll be happy.

Oviedo
01-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Ok. I'm glad if Ben is in love. But, this engagement (if it is real), certainly came very quickly after Ben began to "restore" his image. I hope he didn't rush into this. I hope he'll be happy.

My wife and I married 7 months to the day after we met. That was 26+ years ago. IMO when you know, you know.

Long romances usually mean one or the other has an issue committing.

I hope this is in fact true (and I believe it is) and all the people who wanted to run Ben out of town with their lynch mob mentality can shove their opinions up their A$$s. Ben deserved a chance to prove himself and redeem himself in the eyes of his familiy, friends and fans and he has done just that. It's a sad statement that the thought of Ben being engaged is viewed by some a part of an image recovery plan. Sad statement!!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
01-05-2011, 09:24 AM
"I'm sorry but I have no comment at this time," said Mrs. Harlan, whose family lives atop a rural knob that overlooks Devil's Elbow Road in Hickory Township, just outside the village of Eastbrook near New Castle.

I realize this has nothing to do with the overall topic, but what real estate genius decides to name a street "Devil's Elbow Road"??? Dayum. :lol:

feltdizz
01-05-2011, 09:31 AM

If Hines caroused his way into a charge or 2 it would have been front page news.

But since Hines was married it's impossible for him to have caroused... football players don't do things like that. :stirpot

feltdizz
01-05-2011, 09:37 AM

My wife and I married 7 months to the day after we met. That was 26+ years ago. IMO when you know, you know.

Long romances usually mean one or the other has an issue committing.

I hope this is in fact true (and I believe it is) and all the people who wanted to run Ben out of town with their lynch mob mentality can shove their opinions up their A$$s. Ben deserved a chance to prove himself and redeem himself in the eyes of his familiy, friends and fans and he has done just that. It's a sad statement that the thought of Ben being engaged is viewed by some a part of an image recovery plan. Sad statement!!!!!

It took years for me to tie the knot and best believe it was because of commitment issues. I only plan on getting married once so I took my time.

MeetJoeGreene
01-05-2011, 09:46 AM

I realize this has nothing to do with the overall topic, but what real estate genius decides to name a street "Devil's Elbow Road"??? Dayum. :lol:

.. and didn't Ben once wear a Devil shirt? Things are getting a little strange around here.

RuthlessBurgher
01-05-2011, 09:50 AM

.. and didn't Ben once wear a Devil shirt? Things are getting a little strange around here.

And Ben has not one, but two...count 'em...TWO ELBOWS!!! Oh man, this is odd. :P

MeetJoeGreene
01-05-2011, 10:12 AM

And Ben has not one, but two...count 'em...TWO ELBOWS!!! Oh man, this is odd. :P

.. and to cap it off, Ben also lives on a Road. The stars have aligned. This is truly a marriage made in heavan.

Crash
01-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Ever notice that whenever KDKA needs info on Steelers gossip that putz Schumway is in the middle of it rather than a sports guy?

Oviedo
01-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Ever notice that whenever KDKA needs info on Steelers gossip that putz Schumway is in the middle of it rather than a sports guy?

Since I'm not local I had no idea who this guy was but my first reaction was that he isn't a sports guy since I've never seen anything by him. Curious he gets the info first or maybe the sports media have a little more class and don't want to barge into Ben's personal life.

proudpittsburgher
01-05-2011, 10:47 AM

Since I'm not local I had no idea who this guy was but my first reaction was that he isn't a sports guy since I've never seen anything by him. Curious he gets the info first or maybe the sports media have a little more class and don't want to barge into Ben's personal life.

It's an awkward topic for the sports media to cover. Especially since they had to cover Ben's misdeeds so straight, it's hard to put a smile on your face as a sports guy and cover this story all frilly. Let the fluff guys cover it because it is embarrasing anyway for a sports guy to cover it, let alone what Ben has been through.

Crash
01-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Maybe she's good luck? Since Ben popped the question his offense has 38 points in 6 possessions and no punts. :)

ROLROC
01-05-2011, 11:24 AM
http://www.970espn.com/pages/bigbengirl.html

Djfan
01-05-2011, 11:39 AM
She's easy on the eyes.

Crash
01-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Ben named AFC Offensive Player of the Week!

flippy
01-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Now Ben won't have enough time to study film.

siss
01-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Now Ben won't have enough time to study film.
If she is from western PA then I'm sure the wife will allow him the time he needs.

grotonsteel
01-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Congratulations Ben if the rumor is true...!!!!!

aggiebones
01-05-2011, 02:48 PM
I wonder if anyone has broken the news to Crash...he must be miserable. :D

Actually, I think we now know Crash's real name:
Ashley.

hawaiiansteel
01-05-2011, 03:06 PM
I wouldn't throw her out of a bathroom stall... :D

http://www.970espn.com/cc-common/mlib/1109/01/1109_1294188006.jpghttp://www.ncnewsonline.com/archive/x991597367/g0a0000000000000000d4c32d5619333ffef2d9e953b4728a5 92dcda859.jpg

SteelCrazy
01-05-2011, 07:27 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/straightface72/Harlan_crop_340x234-1.jpg

hawaiiansteel
01-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Roethlisberger mum on reported engagement

By Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger did nothing Tuesday to discourage Internet rumors that he became engaged to a Pittsburgh-area woman.

"There's always, always rumors out there about professional athletes, especially about me," Roethlisberger said. "You guys know that I'm not going to talk about my personal life. My own singular focus right now is on the playoffs and trying to get to the Super Bowl."

When asked if that was a confirmation or denial of his rumored engagement, Roethlisberger said, "I'm not going to talk about my personal life."

The woman in question is from New Castle, according to Internet buzz.

The engagement buzz comes approximately 10 months after a 20-year-old college student accused Roethlisberger of sexually assaulting her in a nightclub bathroom in Milledgeville, Ga.

Roethlisberger was never charged with a crime, but the incident that occurred last March nearly brought down his career in Pittsburgh. It also resulted in a six-game suspension by the NFL for violating the league's personal conduct policy. The suspension later was reduced to four games.

Roethlisberger vowed to change, and at the end of August, he told the Tribune-Review that he had re-connected with religion.

Since returning to the Steelers in October, Roethlisberger has re-established himself as one of the NFL's elite quarterbacks.

He finished fifth in the NFL in passer rating (97.0) and extended his streak of consecutive seasons with at least 3,000 passing yards to five, which is a team record.

Roethlisberger has played through several injuries, including a broken nose, in leading the Steelers to an AFC North title and the No. 2 seed in the AFC playoffs.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 16591.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_716591.html)

feltdizz
01-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Please stop posting pics of this girl. What if it really is just a rumor?

JAR
01-05-2011, 08:41 PM

It's been confirmed, by several sources.

http://www.ncnewsonline.com/

SteelCrazy
01-05-2011, 08:44 PM

what difference does it make?

JAR
01-05-2011, 08:45 PM

Felt wants Ben to be the monster the media made him out to be.

hawaiiansteel
01-06-2011, 02:30 AM

that pretty much sums up what I was thinking.

LordVile
01-06-2011, 04:00 AM
I wouldn't throw her out of a bathroom stall... :D

http://www.970espn.com/cc-common/mlib/1109/01/1109_1294188006.jpghttp://www.ncnewsonline.com/archive/x991597367/g0a0000000000000000d4c32d5619333ffef2d9e953b4728a5 92dcda859.jpg
:Bow :twisted:

feltdizz
01-06-2011, 10:43 AM

yeah... that is why I posted that last statement. :roll:

I just think it's weird for people to bash the media for talking about this and a day later pics are up of her on here.

flippy
01-06-2011, 10:47 AM

I just think it's weird for people to bash the media for talking about this and a day later pics are up of her on here.

Technically, pics are a board rule. No one on here can be blamed. :)

feltdizz
01-06-2011, 02:04 PM

Technically, pics are a board rule. No one on here can be blamed. :)
:Cheers

I just find it odd how we/Ben defenders scream for his privacy but 2 seconds later we dig for pics and post them up.

As far as Ben being a monster... whether he is or isn't doesn't sway me as a fan of the Steelers. I think some fans need Ben to be totally innocent for them to feel good about cheering for him.

I don't need my Steelers to be perfect off the field.. I just want them to stay out of the news. Don't get me wrong.. I don't condone or want bad behavior from our players but I don't need to comb through every follow up story and look for clues that prove Ben is innocent, or JH really was defending his childs baptism.. etc.

Oviedo
01-06-2011, 02:39 PM
As long as Ben tries to do better each day I'm OK with that. It is called being human.

Djfan
01-06-2011, 02:51 PM
As long as Ben tries to do better each day I'm OK with that. It is called being human.

Nice. I live this way because I need to be treated this way.

Oviedo wins.

NC Steeler Fan
01-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Honestly?

I am not a conspiracy junkie at all. In fact, I get all over my Steeler godfather in da burgh when he comes up with that kind of crap.

However, I think this is the perfect publicity stunt to clean up Ben's image so that
he is "okay" to win the Super Bowl...

Oviedo
01-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Honestly?

I am not a conspiracy junkie at all. In fact, I get all over my Steeler godfather in da burgh when he comes up with that kind of crap.

However, I think this is the perfect publicity stunt to clean up Ben's image so that

Or we could really go out on a limb and say Ben found someone he fell in love with like so many of the rest of us.

Are we really that jaded to think he gets married as a publicity move?????? And this obviously intelligent woman (she is a PA afterall) is just allowing herself to be used as a prop.

I guess following that logic Tom Brady got an actress pregnant out of wedlock and married a supermodel to prove he wasn't "gay"

JAR
01-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Honestly?

Or we could really go out on a limb and say Ben found someone he fell in love with like so many of the rest of us.

Are we really that jaded to think he gets married as a publicity move?????? And this obviously intelligent woman (she is a PA afterall) is just allowing herself to be used as a prop.

I guess following that logic Tom Brady got an actress pregnant out of wedlock and married a supermodel to prove he wasn't "gay"

Seriously.. It amazes me what some people believe. A lot of these 'fans' must not have been around to have seen how other Pittsburgh sports stars have had their names dragged through the mud with rumors. Lemieux, Barasso, Marino, Cowher, Stewart, Bradshaw, etc. It amazes me what people believe. Why can't people just accept the fact that Ben is a decent guy who had a ton of BS started about him too? Why can't they just accept the fact that the decent guy found a decent woman and they fell in love and are going to get married?

We really have become a tabloid nation and it's sad.

hawaiiansteel
01-06-2011, 03:26 PM

I think you're on to something... :lol:

http://awfulsports.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/gay_tom_brady2.jpghttp://www.rockmount.com/images/GQ%209-05%20Tom%20Brady%20in%20Rockmount%20693-Brown.JPGhttp://i53.tinypic.com/262xegm.jpghttp://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2008/01/bradyseau.jpg

NC Steeler Fan
01-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Actually, I'm suggesting this hasn't been substantiated. Or has it?

What I'm saying is that a rumour like this spins the public perception.

Casual football fans will pick up on this and suddenly Ben's off season baggage isn't so much the first thing that comes to mind. It's damage control.

Now, if it's true then more power to him and I certainly don't think this a ploy.

birtikidis
01-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Did someone actually post a theory that Brady ISN'T gay? I never heard that one before.

feltdizz
01-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Honestly?

Seriously.. It amazes me what some people believe. A lot of these 'fans' must not have been around to have seen how other Pittsburgh sports stars have had their names dragged through the mud with rumors. Lemieux, Barasso, Marino, Cowher, Stewart, Bradshaw, etc. It amazes me what people believe. Why can't people just accept the fact that Ben is a decent guy who had a ton of BS started about him too? Why can't they just accept the fact that the decent guy found a decent woman and they fell in love and are going to get married?

We really have become a tabloid nation and it's sad.

It's been that way since the first "star" in Hollywood.

Does Ben have to be a good guy for you to root for him as the Steeler QB?

Riddle me this... how does a youth camp appearance, signing shoes for kids, donations to toddlers or an on again off again relation of 4 years that ends with a rumored engagement prove 5 bad minutes did or didn't occur in GA?

I think fans need to stop trying to point out the silver bullet that proves Ben didn't do something in GA because it just opens up a chapter that is pretty much closed.

birtikidis
01-06-2011, 04:13 PM
how about we stop bickering about it. the DA didn't have enough evidence to even arrest Ben. That tells me that more than likely nothing happened. people always want to make more (or less) of something then it is.

hawaiiansteel
01-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Did someone actually post a theory that Brady ISN'T gay? I never heard that one before.

:lol: :lol:

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/X292Firefighter/TomBrady.png

Crash
01-06-2011, 07:42 PM
how about we stop bickering about it. the DA didn't have enough evidence to even arrest Ben. That tells me that more than likely nothing happened. people always want to make more (or less) of something then it is.

The media's refusal to print DA Bright's comments about no probable cause for an arrest, nor his comment that early on he felt that no charges would be filed but wanted to keep "an open mind" is why this crap keeps coming up.

Not juicy enough. So the bare facts of Bright's words that help Ben are ignored.

feltdizz
01-06-2011, 08:20 PM

The media's refusal to print DA Bright's comments about no probable cause for an arrest, nor his comment that early on he felt that no charges would be filed but wanted to keep "an open mind" is why this crap keeps coming up.

Not juicy enough. So the bare facts of Bright's words that help Ben are ignored.

The vast majority didn't care if he was charged or not. Given the past incident and still open civil case people made up their minds early on. Sucks but what can you do about it besides win football games and move on.

If Kobe is falsely accused of rape tomorrow do you think people will give a damn if he is framed or not?

hawaiiansteel
01-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Ben didn't rape anyone, whoever says he did is either just anti-Steeler or ignorant of the facts in both cases.

feltdizz
01-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Ben didn't rape anyone, whoever says he did is either just anti-Steeler or ignorant of the facts in both cases.

umm.... who said he raped someone? LOL

hawaiiansteel
01-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Ben Roethlisberger engaged? Marriage a slippery slope for image

The Pittsburgh Post Gazette is reporting that embattled Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is possibly engaged to girlfriend Ashley Harlan.

Maybe this is wrong, but for some reason the first thing I thought about was Tiger Woods. If there is one broad lesson the Tiger Woods affairs exposed, it is that marriage is a slippery slope in todayís image game for professional athletes.

Should things go right, youíre a lovable American icon.

Should things go wrong, well, you know the results.

The private lives of our top sports stars in todayís media landscape can quickly make or break endorsement deals and smear public opinion, which apparently counts for a lot these days.

At the time, I thought this opinion was too extreme. But after the Tiger Woods affairs rocked my humble little city of Orlando and trickled throughout the world, it made me wonder if Yankees playboy Derek Jeter had it right all along?

He can date whomever he wants and jet-set across the world with a bevy of babes and no one would care. Heís not married after all.

Three years ago that Jeterís teammate Alex Rodriguez went from hero to zero after he was exposed as a serial cheater during his last marriage. Now that heís divorced, he can date Madonna, Kate Hudson, Cameron Diaz or whatever Hollywood starlet he wants and heís ďcoolĒ again.

Donít get me wrong. I love marriage. Itís a wonderful institution for two individuals who are ready for that type of commitment. But it can also be a career and/or image killer for those in the public eye.

Hereís keeping my fingers crossed that Ben Roethlisberger is ready for that step. Heís already got two strikes against him in the p.r. department for previous off the field scandals.

Super Bowl champion or not, heís still walking a ginger line with the Rooney family in Pittsburgh.

A third strike could ship him out.

Poll:
Is marriage a good idea for Ben Roethlisberger?

Yes. If he's in love and ready for that commitment, it's a great move. 50.76% (301 votes)

No. If he has another mess up, the public will not forgive again. 49.24% (292 votes)

Total Votes: 593

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports-sentinel-sports-now/2011/01/06/ben-roethlisberger-engaged-marriage-a-slippery-slope-for-image/

Crash
01-06-2011, 10:33 PM
If Kobe is falsely accused of rape tomorrow do you think people will give a damn if he is framed or not?

The thing with Kobe IMO is if he's innocent why did he pay her off?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-06-2011, 10:43 PM

So we'd stop talking about it!! :lol: :lol:

If I remember, I probably believed Kobe was guilty from the minute I heard the story and read a few paragraphs about the facts and the "evidence". So, I guess it's easy to understand why the ignorant (not necessarily even the haters) think Ben is guilty - DA drivel, charged, indicted, convicted, whatever, or not. It's just sort of an instinctive thing that people feel, I think. In those cases, even well-meaning people will use the facts that support their instincts, and ignore the ones that don't.

siss
01-06-2011, 10:47 PM

If I remember, I probably believed Kobe was guilty from the minute I heard the story and read a few paragraphs about the facts and the "evidence". So, I guess it's easy to understand why the ignorant (not necessarily even the haters) think Ben is guilty - DA drivel, charged, indicted, convicted, whatever, or not. It's just sort of an instinctive thing that people feel, I think. In those cases, even well-meaning people will use the facts that support their instincts, and ignore the ones that don't.
I never thought Kobe was guilty, just a cheating bastard.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-06-2011, 10:54 PM

You know, siss, I think that might actually have been what I thought, I didn't even bother to think about the details ... he was a "bad" guy. That's what I think the problem might be with Ben's image - people don't have the vaguest idea about what happened, or rather ... that's ALL they've got, is the vaguest possible idea. So ... "Ben = bad" is about as much of their brain they spend on it.

Hopefully this will become more a thing of the past as he does good things on and off the football field. Kobe seems to have been rehabbed in the court of public opinion, heck, even Ray Ray is almost cuddly lately ...

http://planetsmilies.net/vomit-smiley-9532.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

siss
01-06-2011, 11:29 PM

You know, siss, I think that might actually have been what I thought, I didn't even bother to think about the details ... he was a "bad" guy. That's what I think the problem might be with Ben's image - people don't have the vaguest idea about what happened, or rather ... that's ALL they've got, is the vaguest possible idea. So ... "Ben = bad" is about as much of their brain they spend on it.

Hopefully this will become more a thing of the past as he does good things on and off the football field. Kobe seems to have been rehabbed in the court of public opinion, heck, even Ray Ray is almost cuddly lately ...

I think Ben will end up like Ray Lewis in the end. A man who made mistakes in life but grew up in the end. For as much as I can't stand Ray Lewis when the steelers play him and think his commercials are stupid, I have a tremendous respect for him as a player.
I still hate Kobe with a passion, I just didn't ever think he was a rapist. But my hate is for what he did on the court and not because I think he's a rapist.

Crash
01-06-2011, 11:45 PM
Oh F Ray Lewis. He had a history of roughing up women in college, then he goes to the NFL, gets charged with murder, pleads guilty to a lesser crime, and pays them off as well.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-06-2011, 11:45 PM

I think Ben will end up like Ray Lewis in the end. A man who made mistakes in life but grew up in the end. For as much as I can't stand Ray Lewis when the steelers play him and think his commercials are stupid, I have a tremendous respect for him as a player.
I still hate Kobe with a passion, I just didn't ever think he was a rapist. But my hate is for what he did on the court and not because I think he's a rapist.

Are you ... gasp ... a San Antonio Spurs fan??

('coz we all hate the Lakers! If you take a random Spurs fan, and unexpectedly say the words "Zero Point Four", they will immediately and automatically form a (very painful) mental image of Derek Fisher taking an inbound pass in Game 6 of a finals...)

feltdizz
01-06-2011, 11:56 PM

Because it speeds up the image rebuilding process.

Given the evidence in the Kobe case it's looked very much like the bogus Reno suit. She was excited Kobe was coming, she stayed late to make sure she could see him, she didn't say a word to other employers after it happen, the underwear she gave for DNA had another guys DNA in it as well...

Kobe is already back like it never happened.

Crash
01-07-2011, 12:00 AM

Given the evidence in the Kobe case it's looked very much like the bogus Reno suit. She was excited Kobe was coming, she stayed late to make sure she could see him, she didn't say a word to other employers after it happen, the underwear she gave for DNA had another guys DNA in it as well...

Because if you bring it up you get labeled a racist.

siss
01-07-2011, 12:25 AM

Are you ... gasp ... a San Antonio Spurs fan??

('coz we all hate the Lakers! If you take a random Spurs fan, and unexpectedly say the words "Zero Point Four", they will immediately and automatically form a (very painful) mental image of Derek Fisher taking an inbound pass in Game 6 of a finals...)
Sacramento Kings fan. Back in the late 90's early 2000's when they had Chris Webber and Vlade Divac. I do however hate Derek Fisher and Rick Fox with just as much as passion.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-07-2011, 12:59 AM
^^ Siss, it's nice to know that the Lakers and Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher et al. can be hated by so many people with so many points of view for so many reasons!

feltdizz
01-07-2011, 10:45 AM

Stop playing victim...

Crash
01-07-2011, 02:36 PM

Stop playing victim...

Stop ignoring the truth. The same media at ESPN who fried Ben in the press fawn all over Mike Vick like he's some sort of "feel good" story. He's a disgusting, vile. heartless, sadistic animal. He'll probably win comeback player of the year.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Stop ignoring the truth. The same media at ESPN who fried Ben in the press fawn all over Mike Vick like he's some sort of "feel good" story. He's a disgusting, vile. heartless, sadistic animal. He'll probably win comeback player of the year.

+1

feltdizz
01-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Oh please... The same ESPN crew jumped all over Vick when his story broke.

ESPN will do the same thing with Ben in a year. You guys need to realize time heals old wounds.

Vick is getting love after a year of prison and losing millions of dollars. If Ben throws 4 TD's on the 15th ESPN will show him love.

Stop playing the victim

Crash
01-07-2011, 04:01 PM

You mean AFTER he was charged and later plead guilty?

You ARE aware that Ben was never charged, correct?

For Ben to get the same treatment as Vick is shameful.

hawaiiansteel
01-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Is it OK to cheer for Michael Vick?

By Steve Hummer, Special to CNN
January 7, 2011 2:34 p.m. EST

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/US/01/07/michael.vick/t1larg.michael.vick.gi.jpg

Michael Vick's fall from NFL glory was spectacular, but his redemption story with the Philadelphia Eagles is equally astonishing.

(CNN) -- Michael Vick, the comeback story like no other -- the nation's largest ongoing rehabilitation project not named Sheen -- makes his postseason splash Sunday night.

A bigger audience means more fans than ever face this question: Can I embrace the Philadelphia quarterback's singular talents without getting the blood of past sins on me?

It's been more than 19 months since Vick's release from federal prison in Leavenworth, Kansas, on his dogfighting conviction. And still the debate over his crime and his place back at the forefront of the NFL achieves spectacular extremes. Within two days in late December, the president of the United States congratulated Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie for giving Vick a second chance while a Fox News analyst suggested that Vick should have been executed for his crime.

But this process of redemption also works itself out quietly, modestly, one oil change at a time.

A Nissan dealer in Woodbury, New Jersey, has a played a small role in reintroducing Vick to the segment of society that doesn't kill dogs for sport. Thomas McMenamin, executive manager of the dealership, was the first businessman to sign the ex-con QB to an endorsement deal.

Before the feds started digging around Vick's Bad Newz Kennels in Virginia, he was the hottest property in the league, making a reported $7 million a year in endorsements.

Afterward, he was an untouchable. Now, for a series of promotional appearances and one television spot, he reportedly is receiving the free use of a $50,000 Nissan Armada.
"When we first met, he wasn't ashamed to admit that he did wrong and was wrong," McMenamin said.

Would you buy a car from Michael Vick?

McMenamin said the response has been mostly positive. "We have gotten some phone calls from people saying, 'We'll never buy a car from you again,' but a lot of those came from out of town, from people who wouldn't buy here anyway."

To help ease the expected criticism, the dealership struck a promotional arrangement in which it would donate to the local humane society for every car sold until the end of January. McMenamin estimates the total should amount to $10,000.

One episode last month struck the manager as telling. A customer came to him irate over how long it had taken the service department to perform a simple oil change. He left dramatically, vowing never to return.

The next day, McMenamin's phone rang. It was the same disaffected customer. He had seen the Vick commercial that night. "You gave Michael Vick a second chance, and I'm willing to give your store a second chance" are the words McMenamin remembers.

Sport has always had its gamblers and rogues, its cheats and addicts. In one Super Bowl night in Atlanta, Baltimore linebacker Ray Lewis became part of a double murder case (he eventually pleaded to misdemeanor obstruction of justice). The following year, 2001, he was the Super Bowl MVP.

There'd be none of the usual failings for Vick, though. Like his skill set of speed, elusiveness and arm strength, his downfall had to be so out of the norm as to challenge belief. He'd bankroll a dog fighting ring.

The cruelty of Vick's crime was spelled out in unsettling detail in the indictment against him, in passages such as:

"In or about April 2007 (Purnell) Peace, (Quanis) Phillips and Vick executed approximately eight dogs that did not perform well in "testing" sessions by various methods including hanging, drowning and slamming at least one dog's body to the ground."

And the price he paid for his crime was steep: 23 months in prison, three years probation, bankruptcy and great heapings of public scorn.

But fans love a good comeback story, and they are quick to grant forgiveness to those who lead them back to the top of the standings. Now, with Vick, they are being asked to process an entirely foreign kind of crime along with a startling kind of ability. It's like trying to read a Greek tragedy -- in Greek.

After serving as a backup with the Eagles in 2009, Vick took over the starting role early this season. The team had shed its longtime marquee quarterback, Donovan McNabb, with plans of plugging in Kevin Kolb as his successor. But Kolb suffered a concussion, and Vick rediscovered his Vickness.

At 30, he appeared to be a star at peak brightness. Against Washington in November, he put on such a show -- passing for four touchdowns and rushing for two others -- that the Hall of Fame requested his jersey.

He threw for more than 300 yards three times in a month. (During six seasons in Atlanta, he had done that only twice.) Throwing for a career-high 21 touchdowns, with only six interceptions, he was 8-3 as an Eagles starter and led them to a division title.

On Sunday, versus Green Bay, Vick returns to the site of his last playoff appearance, this time leading the home team at Philadelphia's Lincoln Financial Field. It has been seven eventful years since he last played the postseason. And that was a largely forgettable performance, the Atlanta Falcons losing in the 2003 NFC championship by 17 and their quarterback rendered practically invisible.

He enters this game with an injured leg, and his last start, a loss to Minnesota, was his least productive of the season.

But it's so much more than the numbers with Vick; it's how he amasses them. Dan Reeves, Vick's first coach in Atlanta and an unabashed supporter, is an old-school, understated football lifer. But on the subject of Vick, he raves:

"(Vick's) just exciting. I love what Peyton Manning and Drew Brees and Tom Brady do. But it's different. They are great at what they do; I love to watch them, but Mike takes your breath away.

"You watch him and you say, 'How did he get away from that guy; how did he make that deep throw; how did he throw across his body like that?' "

By all accounts, Vick has dedicated himself to the craft of his position as never before. In interviews now, he sounds markedly more clear-headed than during his Atlanta days.

He has struck all the right notes thus far this season, including dedicating himself to regular appearances on behalf of the anti-dog fighting campaign of the Humane Society of the United States.

That cause has benefited even from those wishing Vick ill. A pair of Green Bay fans this season pledged $10 to the Humane Society for every time the quarterback was sacked. The total currently stands at $340.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told the Philadelphia Inquirer, "This young man has turned his life around, and he's going to contribute."

While Vick never can outrun his past, there are signs that he has begun to at least give it a good race.

Nowhere has the Vick conversation been more divisive than in Atlanta, where he was the franchise's No. 1 overall draft pick in 2001. His rise lifted the Falcons profile nationally and titillated the fan base like no other player, including Deion Sanders. And his fall absolutely laid waste to the franchise for two seasons.

Chris Dimino, co-host of morning sports talk on Atlanta's 790 The Fan, has found himself moderating the debate over Vick's standing among Falcons fans. It often swings between vitriol and blind adoration, seeming to break down frequently along racial lines.

"I never thought I'd see the light at the end of that tunnel. But I do sense that there is a turn (in the tone of the conversation)," Dimino said.

He was stupidity personified. He paid the price; now let's move on. People like a redemption story.
--Chris Dimino, Atlanta sports talk radio host

"Most people now are playing the good-for-him, give-him-a-second-chance card," he added. "He was stupidity personified. He paid the price; now let's move on. People like a redemption story.

"Of course, if the Falcons weren't 13-3 now, there might be a heck of a lot more venom than there is now."

Vick's past and present teams may be on a collision course for an NFC Championship game meeting in Atlanta, at which time the old scab will be ripped clean off.

Deciding on how to deal with Vick here at center stage would be so much easier if only there were a porthole to his soul, allowing a peek at what's really in there. How can any fan know?

Vick's road to fan acceptance is the same one that will take him to a new contract; his two-year deal (which with bonuses and incentives have earned him a reported $7 million) runs out this season. He seems to realize the practical truth that what he does is going to amount to much more than what he utters. He recently told Sports Illustrated, "I don't think me saying the right thing is going to get me a new deal. It's all about my play. It's all about how you conduct yourself as you play well. I don't have to put on a front around anybody."

The idea that people can change -- that's the notion Wayne Pacelle's life is built around. "If it was my belief that people were static, I don't think I could come to work every day," says the president and CEO of the Humane Society of the United States.

Vick is just one of a number of former dog fighters and animal abusers that Pacelle's group has enlisted as spokesmen against cruelty. Vick has made a dozen appearances in major cities in the East, attempting to reach youngsters who could be lured into the practice of pitting dogs against each other in back alleys and abandoned buildings, so-called "street fighting."

Pacelle said he has been asked a thousand times whether he believes Vick is sincere. Asked for the 1,001st time, he said, "I don't get into that."

All he knows for sure is that he has seen Vick speak to hundreds of youngsters who, because of the quarterback's status, "sit and listen in rapt attention."

Will the head of the Humane Society be rooting for the one-time dog fighter this weekend?

Pacelle is one of the very few who remain mute on that subject.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/07/michael.vick/

feltdizz
01-07-2011, 04:58 PM

Ben didn't get the same treatment but you won't admit it because you need to play victim.

How many 100's of millions did Ben lose? When was Ben cut from the Steelers? :roll:

Oviedo
01-07-2011, 05:01 PM

+1

x10

ScoreKeeper
01-07-2011, 05:06 PM

Ben didn't get the same treatment but you won't admit it because you need to play victim.

How many 100's of millions did Ben lose? When was Ben cut from the Steelers? :roll:
When was Ben arrested for a crime? When was Ben convicted of a crime?

"In or about April 2007 (Purnell) Peace, (Quanis) Phillips and Vick executed approximately eight dogs that did not perform well in "testing" sessions by various methods including hanging, drowning and slamming at least one dog's body to the ground."
This piece of garbage should have been allowed back in the league.

proudpittsburgher
01-07-2011, 05:09 PM

+1

x10

I don't agree . . . they villified Vick while his turmoil was going on, and only fawn over him now that he has served his time and has made a successful comeback, both personally and professionally. Outside of Cowturd's pal on his TV show (Beedle), I don't hear a whole lot bad about ben from the media.

ScoreKeeper
01-07-2011, 05:14 PM

+1

x10

I don't agree . . . they villified Vick while his turmoil was going on, and only fawn over him now that he has served his time and has made a successful comeback, both personally and professionally. Outside of Cowturd's pal on his TV show (Beedle), I don't hear a whole lot bad about ben from the media.
Ben was on Mike and Mike yesterday morning and was asked about it. I have read at least 3 articals this week in which it was mentioned. But Vick is now the good guy. One piece even had a "good guy" vs "bad guy" run on if it were a PA Super Bowl, and BEN was the bad guy.

proudpittsburgher
01-07-2011, 05:20 PM
when vick returned from his incarceration/suspension, he was asked about it too. It was the center of attention and people were pretty much just waiting to see how things turned out. A year has passed, and if Vick withered away and was cut, he would have been gone from the national spotlight, but he has said and done all of the right things, and things turned out great for him on the field as well. Ben is still dealing with thie questions because, for the most part, this is oen of the first times he has given a national interview to someone like M&M since he returned. He hasn;t had the luxury of a year and a half passing.

now the good vs. bad part, I didn't see it . . . maybe they could have pulled that off right after all of those stories came out abotu Ben being a bad guy, but too much time has passed and Ben has done way too much good to his rep and teammates perception of him for them to try an dpull that . . . it was bush league.

proudpittsburgher
01-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think Ben was treated like a dog (no pun intended) for somethign that he was never charged with. But fair or not, we are in the guilty until proven innocent media. Ben has to realize this isn't 1972 and he can't get away with wink wink turn the other way anymore. he needs to grow up, and everything leads to the fact that he has done exactly that, and I couldn't be prouder of the guy. I still to this day would rather have this guy leadign my team than any other QB who is playing this game. Yes, even moreso than Brady.

Crash
01-07-2011, 05:31 PM

You are right, Ben didn't get the same treatment as Vick. The UNCHARGED Ben got WORSE from the press, and from the NFL. He was also convicted in the court of public opinion because of Goodell and the selective media reporting.

How many 100's of millions did Ben lose? When was Ben cut from the Steelers?

He shouldn't have been cut, because he was never charged. Had he been charged? He would have been cut, just like Vick was.

If we win the AFC this all comes back into play. I guarantee that FOX will have a TV interview with either McNulty or Miss DTF on their Super Bowl pre-game show.

Ben is the victim here.

Vick's not. He's a convicted felon ex-con.

ScoreKeeper
01-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think Ben was treated like a dog (no pun intended) for somethign that he was never charged with. But fair or not, we are in the guilty until proven innocent media. Ben has to realize this isn't 1972 and he can't get away with wink wink turn the other way anymore. he needs to grow up, and everything leads to the fact that he has done exactly that, and I couldn't be prouder of the guy. I still to this day would rather have this guy leadign my team than any other QB who is playing this game. Yes, even moreso than Brady.
I agree with everything you wrote up to he needs to grow up. Hell, he's a 27 year old guy who wanted to get laid. He even turned down an offer to go back to the sorority house. I don't think he had to "grow up:. I think he had to realize who he is, what that means, and how to handle it all. If that's growing up, then so be it. But I don't think he had to grow up from a "woman hater" aspect.

And I would want no other QB either.

ScoreKeeper
01-07-2011, 05:39 PM
If we win the AFC this all comes back into play. I guarantee that FOX will have a TV interview with either McNulty or Miss DTF on their Super Bowl pre-game show.
That would never happen due to on-going cases and/or settlements. But it will be a media circus and a lot of ill press about Ben.

NC Steeler Fan
01-07-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm not going to add fuel either way to the Ben vs. Vick controversy,
but I will say this:

I don't want to hear any whining if I post a crotch shot of
some NFL stud in my sig line... 8)

ScoreKeeper
01-07-2011, 06:15 PM
but I will say this:

Talk about a conversation killer. :?

JAR
01-07-2011, 06:31 PM
but I will say this:

and how many of these posters with half naked women in their sig bashed Ben over all of his false accusations? :)