PDA

View Full Version : You guys like Marvin Lewis?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-03-2011, 12:26 AM
Rumor he is being tapped for Pitt.

Crash
01-03-2011, 12:30 AM
All depends on who he gets for OC and how he lets him run the offense.

flippy
01-03-2011, 09:05 AM
I'd like Marvin as a college coach. I like his approach of giving guys who've had complicated lives another chance. He's unique. I'm just not a big fan of him as an NFL head coach.

Oviedo
01-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Lewis seems like a good guy in a horrible situation. I think he would be a good choice for Pitt because he could take their defense to the next level. But the best choice would be Tom Bradley from PSU. Pitt needs to salvage their recruiting class and Bradley has the contacts to do that. It will take at least a year for Lewis to build the contacts he needs to deliver a quality recruiting class.

BTW the Pitt AD needs to be fired.

Notleadpoisoned
01-03-2011, 09:08 AM
His fondness for bad character guys concerns me a bit.

proudpittsburgher
01-03-2011, 09:50 AM

I would tend to agree, but I think in his case, it is impossible to corral bad character guys once they are in the NFL and have been getting their way their entire lives. In college, I get the feeling that stuff is less prevalent and there are more safeguards in place. Instead of fines, which no one in the pros cares about, there are suspensions, clear rules. It is not entirely on the coach to stop that kind of stuff, which Marvin clearly hasn't proven to be able to do with NFL guys.

MeetJoeGreene
01-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Every potential college recruit with a rap sheet just starting skipping for joy at the thought.

calmkiller
01-03-2011, 09:55 AM
It 8:53 and Pitt still sucks. : )

Notleadpoisoned
01-03-2011, 10:14 AM
It 8:53 and Pitt still sucks. : )

To be fair, the entire Big East Football Conference sucks so both Pitt and WVU are guilty by association.

Eich
01-03-2011, 11:05 AM

Then again, what other kind of guys are interested in playing for the Bungles?

RuthlessBurgher
01-03-2011, 11:07 AM
I think bringing in guys with character red flags is more of a Mike Brown thing than a Marvin Lewis thing. Brown is a known cheapskate, and bringing in guys with character flaws that no one else wants is his means of getting talented players at a bargain price (of course, you will never win a championship that way, so...)

:bungalssuck :bungalssuck :bungalssuck

papillon
01-03-2011, 11:24 AM
As a Pitt Alumni I'd have no problem with Lewis or any higher profile guy that is willing to take the job. The Pitt program isn't at a point where it can hire a coach without some type coaching "name" they need a big name to get the program jump started again.

Pappy

Oviedo
01-03-2011, 11:48 AM
As a Pitt Alumni I'd have no problem with Lewis or any higher profile guy that is willing to take the job. The Pitt program isn't at a point where it can hire a coach without some type coaching "name" they need a big name to get the program jump started again.

Pappy

Like I said, the best first step would be dumping the AD. Since that won't happen then they should be looking for a "splash" How about Mike Leach????? It would get attention and draw offense recruits.

feltdizz
01-03-2011, 11:49 AM

Pappy

As a PITT student who couldn't afford to finish school there because the tuition was high as heel I also have no problem with Lewis as the HC.

papillon
01-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Leach, Lewis or Gruden would be the top three for me with Gruden being number one; I realize that will never happen, but he'd my preference. Listening to him announce games gives you an idea of the passion he puts into being a head coach. I also the interviews he had with McCoy, Claussen, Tebow and Bradford before the draft he wasn't afraid to identify their weaknesses and coach them.

Gruden would be good for the program IMO.

Pappy

Notleadpoisoned
01-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Russ Grimm would be a great candidate for the Pitt HC but I hear that he's an NFL guy all the way.

grotonsteel
01-03-2011, 12:15 PM
I think Marvin Lewis will do a far better job as a Pitt HC than Bungles HC.

ikestops85
01-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Just what Pitt needs. Another failed mundane NFL coach to keep their program just out of the brinks of dispair. :roll:

Marvin Lewis would be Wannstedt II in my book. I don't think they could get PSU's Bradley but Leach would generate some excitement for the program.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Just what Pitt needs. Another failed mundane NFL coach to keep their program just out of the brinks of dispair. :roll:

Marvin Lewis would be Wannstedt II in my book. I don't think they could get PSU's Bradley but Leach would generate some excitement for the program.

Yeah, but gotta put in his contract no locking players out in the snow if they miss a block or a pass reception.

RuthlessBurgher
01-03-2011, 02:50 PM

Yeah, but gotta put in his contract no locking players out in the snow if they miss a block or a pass reception.

At least make sure that player is not related to any of the ESPN college football analysts first. :wink:

hawaiiansteel
01-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Updated: January 4, 2011, 4:22 PM ET

Marvin Lewis remains Bengals coach

ESPN.com news services

CINCINNATI -- Marvin Lewis is staying as Bengals coach.

Lewis agreed to a contract extension on Tuesday after two days of negotiating changes in how the front office functions. Owner Mike Brown wanted to keep him, offering an extension last season. Lewis wanted to stay, too, but only if he got more influence over decisions.

The Bengals have called a 4:30 p.m. ET news conference to announce the extension.

The agreement came shortly after talks between Lewis and the team hit a significant snag midday Tuesday, a team source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The Bengals are coming off a 4-12 season. They've had only two winning records during Lewis' eight seasons, which would get a coach fired in most NFL cities. In Cincinnati, Lewis' 60-69-1 record wasn't a deal breaker.

Cincinnati has only two winning records in the last 20 years, both under Lewis. The Bengals haven't won a playoff game since 1990.

The club didn't release details of the extension, which will make Lewis the longest-tenured head coach in franchise history. Franchise founder Paul Brown and Sam Wyche also coached for eight seasons.

Lewis' 69 losses are the most for any Bengals coach -- one more than Wyche, who led the Bengals to a Super Bowl during the 1988 season. Wyche and ownership clashed over control following the 1991 season, leading to a bitter parting. The team claimed he quit; Wyche insisted he was fired.

By contrast, Lewis and Brown have had an amicable relationship over the years despite their disagreements. The question at season's end was whether Brown would give Lewis more control than any other head coach during his 20 years running the team.

It's not the first time that Brown has kept a coach coming off a lousy season. He gave Dave Shula a two-year extension in 1993, when the Bengals were completing a 3-13 season that would stand as the measuring stick for franchise futility -- until this year.

Like the '93 team, the 2010 Bengals lost 10 straight games, the franchise record. Unlike the '93 team, this one had a lot of talent and high expectations.

Cincinnati won the AFC North last season by going 6-0 in the division, only 4-6 against the rest of the league. The Bengals used a run-based offense to grind out close wins, but lost to the Jets in the first round of the playoffs because they couldn't throw the ball consistently.

Lewis won Coach of the Year honors and was offered an extension, but didn't accept because he wanted changes in scouting, how assistant coaches are selected and other areas. A covered practice field also has been on his wish list since he arrived. When ownership didn't seem receptive, Lewis decided to play out the final year on his contract.

The Bengals kept the core of the team intact and added receiver Terrell Owens, hoping to repeat as division champs for the first time in team history. Instead, things quickly imploded. Owens blamed the coaching staff for much of the problem. The Bengals failed to sell out their final four home games, and Lewis finished the season unsure whether he would be back or whether he even wanted to return under the conditions.

If Brown was going to fire him, he would have done it on Monday. Instead, they began a back-and-forth discussion about the changes needed to keep Lewis around. It was another example of ownership's penchant for waiting until the last minute to make an overriding decision.

The decision to keep Lewis may not help sell tickets. Fans blamed Lewis for the team's implosion during the 10-game losing streak -- the Bengals made the same mistakes in one close loss after another.

There is likely to be at least one significant change in the coaching staff. Offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski finished his 10th season in Cincinnati and could take the fall for the offense's struggles.

Bringing Lewis back is the first of many major decisions the Bengals have to make in the offseason. Owens and running back Cedric Benson are free agents. The team also has a one-year, $6 million contract option on Chad Ochocinco, the top receiver in franchise history.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5988635

BradshawsHairdresser
01-04-2011, 09:25 PM

ESPN.com news services

I love Marvin Lewis...as coach of the Bengals. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oviedo
01-05-2011, 09:41 AM

ESPN.com news services

I love Marvin Lewis...as coach of the Bengals. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to womder if the guy has serious mental issues now or whether he is just desperate for a HC job. How could anyone want to stay in that organization?