PDA

View Full Version : Arians making adjustments

Crash
01-02-2011, 09:48 PM
More toss sweeps trying to get Mendy outside.

Three wide to start the game on the bomb to Wallace.

Getting A. Brown involved more on YAC yard routes.

More gadget plays with Randle El that Yinzers love.

Djfan
01-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Saw more play action today, too.

BATMAN
01-02-2011, 09:52 PM
With all the head coach openings the dumbass should have been trying harder all along.
No one will want this bucket head. Great, he had a good game but he'll game plan three more horrible ones in a row. That's just how he does stuff.

Crash
01-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Sanders and Brown's roles have increased. El's role has decreased.

That's a HUGE adjustment.

The next one should be Redman getting carries instead of Moore when Mendy comes out.

hawaiiansteel
01-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Arians called a good game today. :Clap

Irongut
01-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Saw more play action today, too.
Yep, and more passing out of run formations from those.

Now if we could just add some more power formations, rollouts and simple reads, we'd be dynamite and have a shot at beating quality teams.

Va Steelr
01-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Agreed HS,lets hope the trend continues.

hawaiiansteel
01-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Agreed HS,lets hope the trend continues.

yes, it sure was refreshing to see creative play calling from Arians...like you say, let's hope he keeps up the good work.

Crash
01-02-2011, 10:06 PM
It wasn't really creative. It was just playing to your teams strength.

No square peg in round hole yinzer football.

BURGH86STEEL
01-02-2011, 10:08 PM
I think Ben made the adjustments more then anyone else. Appeared he took what the defense gave and made quicker decisions. He threw the ball accurately and let his play makers make plays.

Sometimes, short passes lead to big gains based on the defensive coverages. All it takes is for players like Miller, Mendenhall, or the WR's to beat one defender and turn it into a big gain.

Steelers will be a very dangerous team if Ben can play that well in the post season.

Irongut
01-02-2011, 10:12 PM
I think Ben made the adjustments more then anyone else. Appeared he took what the defense gave and made quicker decisions. He threw the ball accurately and let his play makers make plays.

Sometimes, short passes lead to big gains based on the defensive coverages. All it takes is for players like Miller, Mendenhall, or the WR's to beat one defender and turn it into a big gain.

Steelers will be a very dangerous team if Ben can play that well in the post season.

They ran more pick type plays to create instant space instead of letting Ben try to read and anticipate. Much better for our offense imo.

hawaiiansteel
01-02-2011, 10:20 PM
It wasn't really creative. It was just playing to your teams strength.

Definition of the word CREATIVE:

marked by the ability or power to create situations that played to our team strengths.

ROLROC
01-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Good game plan today.

Redman could've been used a bit more.

flippy
01-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Sanders and Brown's roles have increased. El's role has decreased.

That's a HUGE adjustment.

The next one should be Redman getting carries instead of Moore when Mendy comes out.

Agreed on the points in this thread. But I'll go one further on Redman. He should be the ball carrier in the red zone.

He hits the hole harder and faster than Mendy and can get more yards on a shorter field when everything's bunched up and there's less room.

feltdizz
01-03-2011, 12:20 AM
great game...

I noticed the play action as well but I also noticed how lazy it was...

Is this due to Wallace's speed? Just looked like it wasn't "sold"

Crash
01-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Same play fake when they've thrown deep for years. We don't have time for a Boomer play fake. Ben would get creamed.

NorthCoast
01-03-2011, 09:08 PM

I'll tell you one change I seen...in the red zone, Ben was throwing short of the goal line instead of into it. I think the Redman TD a couple weeks back changed somebody's (Ben or Arians, not sure which) thinking on this one.

Crash
01-03-2011, 09:11 PM
I'll tell you one change I seen...in the red zone, Ben was throwing short of the goal line instead of into it.

The RZ problems are too much 1st down running.

Unless its two down territory? After a failed 1st and goal run most teams go for the endzone on 2nd and 3rd and goal.

Starlifter
01-04-2011, 01:45 AM
I always preface posts like these with the acknowledgement I'm a huge BA critic (big secret right??... :D )

Now that that's out of the way, I don't think we can really evaluate his play calling performance based on the browns game. Clearly, the stains knew mangini was leaving and they mailed in the game. However, I must say that pretty much since the debacle against new england I've been impressed with the variety and schemes we've had since. Is it play calling making the difference? Is it the fact we've had a short period of stabilization with the 0-line and the protection they are affording ben is making the difference? I also don't look at the successful outcome of a play before I determine if I liked it or not. I think upon reflection I must say that I like the balance of the offense, the development of our young receivers and the cleverness of some of the sets. I'm not a fan of any sweeps in the NFL - i think players these days are too fast for it be effective. Other than that, so far so good. It's possible, and not putting too much credit to wins against the panthers and the stains, that we are peaking at just the right time.

I like our chances.