PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone discuss our O line play today?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-02-2011, 08:55 PM
It seems like the last 2 games or so, since the Jets, Ben has had a lot more time. Was that:

1) Scheme by the opposing D's, to drop back in coverage more than rush?
2) Excellent protection by our A1+ O-line?
3) Cr*ppy defenses we've been facing, so we look good?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Eddie Spaghetti
01-02-2011, 09:00 PM
I know Ramon Foster has really stepped his game up the last few weeks.

urbik who?

Irongut
01-02-2011, 09:02 PM
And not a coincendence Ben got rid of the ball on time and hit some quick hits. When he does that, teams can't constantly blitz. When he has "brainfarts" consistently and bakes a pizza before throwing it, our OL sucks.

At least to those that don't know what they are watching and why.

MeetJoeGreene
01-02-2011, 09:11 PM
And not a coincendence Ben got rid of the ball on time and hit some quick hits. When he does that, teams can't constantly blitz. When he has "brainfarts" consistently and bakes a pizza before throwing it, our OL sucks.

Someone that knows what they are watching by stating:

If the Browns play hard, we won't score 30. If the Browns lay down and give up, maybe, just maybe, our offense can score 30.

Doubtful though.

Crash
01-02-2011, 09:13 PM
If the Browns play hard, we won't score 30. If the Browns lay down and give up, maybe, just maybe, our offense can score 30.

Doubtful though.

Drugs = Just say no.

Irongut
01-02-2011, 09:16 PM

Someone that knows what they are watching by stating:

Doubtful though.
Yeah, the Browns laid down. Clearly didn't give their "A" effort but Ben played well.

Wow, bringing quotes from other boards now? Some of you will go to great lengths. :Cheers

Irongut
01-02-2011, 09:17 PM

Doubtful though.

Drugs = Just say no.

Braindead = Just say Crash.

Crash
01-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Wow, bringing quotes from other boards now? Some of you will go to great lengths.

You mean like when you took a 1S quote of mine and quoted it on SN?

Like I said, drugs, just say no.

Djfan
01-02-2011, 09:20 PM
This kindergarten stuff is stupid gents.

This board has been great for a long time now. Don't come here to play like idiots.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-02-2011, 09:22 PM
This kindergarten stuff is stupid gents.

This board has been great for a long time now. Don't come here to play like idiots.
:Agree +1.

I see personal insults being thrown around. Isn't that against the board rules?

Hey, I just realized I'm the one who started this thread - lay off with your hijacking guys - take it outside!

Crash
01-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Like I said, I'll correct Sir Smoke A lot for an hour, a day, then I'll send his useless a$s on his way.

What's funny is how is he posting here when he bashed this website on SN?

Irongut
01-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Like I said, I'll correct Sir Smoke A lot for an hour, a day, then I'll send his useless a$s on his way.

What's funny is how is he posting here when he bashed this website on SN?
I'm still waiting for you to "correct and send me away."

All I see is me exposing your ever present hypocrisy.

Djfan
01-02-2011, 09:36 PM
SHUT UP AND GO TO ANOTHER BOARD WHERE LITTLE BOYS FIGHT!!!

SteelAbility
01-02-2011, 09:44 PM
It seems like the last 2 games or so, since the Jets, Ben has had a lot more time. Was that:

1) Scheme by the opposing D's, to drop back in coverage more than rush?
2) Excellent protection by our A1+ O-line?
3) Cr*ppy defenses we've been facing, so we look good?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Browns were #13 (after today's drubbing) in points given up and had not given up 30 points all season. So, I'm going to say #3 is at least halfway out. :P

Our OL played well today. I'm beginning to wonder if they had a health problem. With 10 days off, they looked very good.

I'm going to say some of today's game had to do with Mendy's seriously tough running. He was not going down easy and was consistently getting YsAC. Tires out the D, frustrates them and makes them respect the run.

BATMAN
01-02-2011, 09:46 PM
If only if Starks injury didn't put him out for the season I would be so much more confident about reaching the Super Bowl.

What is in store for Colon ? I heard his injury is something they can't always come back from, is that true ?

Also I have to say, I think Flozell has done a terrific job and not just because he was a filler player, he's good. I think he has done better than Colon.

Will the Steelers need to go after a veteran right tackle again next season or draft a tackle ?

With the luck we have had with o-line men they should stick with proven free agents if they can get a deal.

I think our offense will live and die with Jonathan Scott or unless they give this guy help. I thought they should have moved Flozell over there and allowed someone else at right tackle.

hawaiiansteel
01-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Our OL played well today. I'm beginning to wonder if they had a health problem. With 10 days off, they looked very good.

I'm going to say some of today's game had to do with Mendy's seriously tough running. He was not going down easy and was consistently getting YsAC.

Mendy rushed 14 times for only 36 yards and a 2.6 yd/avg. against the Browns, that's really not that good.

Crash
01-02-2011, 09:59 PM
12 for 34 is poor.

But thats a Ryan defense, they focus on the run. The way to beat it is how we did today, quick, short YAC yard types.

Steelgal
01-02-2011, 10:04 PM

I'm going to say some of today's game had to do with Mendy's seriously tough running. He was not going down easy and was consistently getting YsAC.

Mendy rushed 14 times for only 36 yards and a 2.6 yd/avg. against the Browns, that's really not that good.

True, but I'm hoping they realized the passing game needed more work today, than the run game. Don't know what % of plays ran was pass versus run, but I liked them using more throwing formations in this game. Atleast it seemed to be.

Irongut
01-02-2011, 10:07 PM
YEah, we were passing even up 32. Heck we were passing with a lead going to half and ended up giving them another series instead of killing the clock and scoring with little time.

The Browns looked like they mailed this one in. Even their coach was lifeless.

hawaiiansteel
01-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Don't know what % of plays ran was pass versus run, but I liked them using more throwing formations in this game. Atleast it seemed to be.

it was about as balanced as it gets, 30 rushes and 30 passes.

SteelAbility
01-02-2011, 10:25 PM

Uggh. I feel really stupid right now. I remember several runs where Mendy seemed to punish defenders.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-02-2011, 10:32 PM

Uggh. I feel really stupid right now. I remember several runs where Mendy seemed to punish defenders.

I'm right there with you, Ability. Until I saw the stats Hawaiian posted, I also thought Mendy had a good day. I think even if he didn't gain a lot of yards, he showed a lot of toughness on his runs, refusing to go down.

Maybe that actually is a condemnation of the O-line, in a way - tough running, but not a good rushing average ... ?

hawaiiansteel
01-02-2011, 10:49 PM

I'm right there with you, Ability. Until I saw the stats Hawaiian posted, I also thought Mendy had a good day. I think even if he didn't gain a lot of yards, he showed a lot of toughness on his runs, refusing to go down.

Maybe that actually is a condemnation of the O-line, in a way - tough running, but not a good rushing average ... ?

Mendy had 2 TDs and he did run hard...too me it is more a condemnation of the OL that he gained such little yardage.

we definitely miss Max Starks and need to draft Mike Pouncey to play alongside his brother... :D

SteelAbility
01-02-2011, 10:52 PM

Mendy had 2 TDs and he did run hard...too me it is more a condemnation of the OL that he gained such little yardage.

we definitely miss Max Starks and need to draft Mike Pouncey to play alongside his brother... :D

One advantage of drafing Mike Pouncey:

We could swap the Pouncey's (in their uniforms) and completely bamboozle opposing D coordinators' gameplan (that accounts for tendencies/weaknesses/etc.).

:P

flippy
01-02-2011, 11:49 PM
It's the play calling and the QB getting rid of the ball quickly.

I'm not a big Scott fan, but he's played better since they replaced him with Essex for a few series.

feltdizz
01-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Does it really matter how many yards Mend had this game?

This is what we all wanted... pass to set up TD runs.

Irongut
01-02-2011, 11:59 PM

Yeah, I don't really have any complaints with todays run game outside of thinking we could have used it more before the half and not given another possesion to the Browns before the half.

Crash
01-03-2011, 12:03 AM

Nope. When we pass to set up the run things happen pretty easily.

When we are too concerned with playing 1975 football is when we get into trouble.

hawaiiansteel
01-03-2011, 02:15 AM
Steelers Find a Way to Beat Browns, Now Get a Week Off

Posted on January 2, 2011 by ryan

Well, that couldn’t have gone much better. Complete domination, reminiscent of the 2005 Steelers-Browns Christmas Eve game that included 41 points, a shutout, and a Deebo body slam. (Sorta arbitrary: I mentioned this on Twitter Sunday morning, but can you imagine the fine and suspension Harrison would face from Commissar Goodell if he did that now?)

Troy Polamalu also made his triumphant return, and even though he took a half-day, he had an immediate impact. Troy will now have two weeks off, which should also be good news for Maurkice Pouncey, who left Sunday’s game in the third quarter with a stinger.

Other game-day randomness:

– The offense, defense and special teams all looked in top form. Troy had an interception three plays into the day, and a snap later, Ben hit Mike Wallace on a 56-yard bomb and that was that.

(After a season and a half of Wallace running go routes past helpless defenders, I figured we’d seen the end of the “Ben, throw it as far as you can and Mike will catch it” play calls. And for the last seven or eight games, that proved true — it also allowed Wallace to develop other skills that now makes him one of the most dangerous wideouts in the league. Apparently, the Browns don’t watch game film because they treated Wallace like he was Mitch Berger and were promptly burned for 97 yards on two catches. That said, after watching the Browns mail it in, I’m not so sure Berger wouldn’t have had similar numbers.)

The offensive line kept Ben clean all day, and even though Rashard Mendenhall didn’t have a lot of room to run, he ran hard, handed out some licks, and even had a nice 24-yard catch and run (He also has 13 touchdowns, many of the “goal-to-go” variety, which is pleasantly surprising). So maybe now, finally, the o-line is coming together. Then again, the Browns could just be that bad. I’m going with the former since the TV bobbleheads can’t talk enough about momentum heading into the playoffs. (And I look forward to them arm-waving away the Ravens stumbling their way through a possibly important Week 17 home game against the Bengals.)

If nothing else, it was a nice bounce-back game for Jonathan Scott, who might have had the worst game in the history of tackle football last week.

– I was reading something I wrote back in September about the Steelers’ draft haul during the Kevin Colbert era and here’s what I said about Ziggy Hood: “The coaches love Ziggy, although the fans have yet to see much from the ’09 first-rounder. Of course, we were all bitching about the team getting younger on the defensive line, so the pick made sense.”

And it makes even more sense after watching him play for much of the year. Ziggy sacked Colt McCoy early and played well when I watched him. So, yeah, one less thing to worry about.

– Two words: ANTHONY MADISON. If he played against the Browns every week, we’d be comparing Troy Polamalu to him. Madison had an interception (although as my buddy pointed out at the time, he was fighting the ball the entire way) and a sack.

So the league saw fit to return $25,000 to Deebo because … well, I have no idea. Something about Ted Cottrell, former coach-turned-NFL-stooge deciding that Harrison deserved a refund. Meanwhile, Deebo’s hit on McCoy had everything to do with Madison’s subsequent pick, and I look forward to the league issuing a statement later this week explaining why the rescinding the $25,000 refund, presumably because Harrison had malice in his heart, or some such stupidity.

Back on Earth: another backup who showed up: Stevenson Sylvester. In addition to wreaking havoc on special teams, Sylvester blew up a screen pass and roughed up Seneca Wallace on a two-point conversion late in the game.

– Just in case you needed proof as to Ben’s importance to this offense: Byron Leftwich’s first snap promptly ended in a sack. And it wasn’t on the o-line, it was vintage Byron: plodding in the pocket, not able to find a receiver, followed by a crushing tackle. And while Ben is obviously important to this team’s success, I’m still convinced that Troy’s the most important player on the roster.

– Got a good chuckle out of the Randle El hookey-dookie touchdown pass to Hines Ward to make it 41-3. Partly because it was a way to get Randle El involved in the offense, but mostly because it was Tomlin basically saying, “Yeah, I’m running up the score but you know what? You’re getting canned tomorrow, Magini; it doesn’t matter.”

– I continue to be impressed by Po-Sweezy, who split the uprights on a 41-yarder.

Alright, peeps, Pittsburgh will have a week off, a home game and they’re playing solid football. At this point in the proceedings, that’s really all you can hope for.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/01/s ... owns-week/ (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/01/steelers-find-beat-browns-week/)

papillon
01-03-2011, 07:51 AM
The running game looked better than the stats because Mendenhall took what was there and stuck his nose into the pile without doing the stupid spin move every time he got the ball. The spin move was becoming something I hated to see, once in a while is fine, but not every 2 out of 3 plays. I liked the way he ran today.

Pappy

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-03-2011, 09:28 AM
The running game looked better than the stats because Mendenhall took what was there and stuck his nose into the pile without doing the stupid spin move every time he got the ball. The spin move was becoming something I hated to see, once in a while is fine, but not every 2 out of 3 plays. I liked the way he ran today.

Pappy

Yes, that spin move was grating on my nerves too. Now that you mention it, that may be why he looked so much stronger yesterday. Maybe his coach is telling him to can the spin move - it's not college anymore.

feltdizz
01-03-2011, 09:43 AM

Pappy

Yes, that spin move was grating on my nerves too. Now that you mention it, that may be why he looked so much stronger yesterday. Maybe his coach is telling him to can the spin move - it's not college anymore.

we placed bets on how many spins Mend would have before games.

Nothing wrong with spinning but damn... there we times Mend tried to spin on 3 guys when he was going out of bounds. :wft just run out of bounds LOL

ikestops85
01-03-2011, 02:04 PM

Pappy

we placed bets on how many spins Mend would have before games.

Nothing wrong with spinning but damn... there we times Mend tried to spin on 3 guys when he was going out of bounds. :wft just run out of bounds LOL

One week early in the season a friend of mine and I played the drinking game based on Mendy. Every time he did the spin move we had to do a shot. I remember Mendy doing 3 spin moves on one play. I don't remember much after that. :lol: I haven't been that drunk since we played the same game based on when Hines smiles a few years ago. :D

Steelerphile
01-04-2011, 05:50 PM

Pappy

If you have recorded the games, it has been several weeks that Mendenhall has not used the spin move. I haven't gone to the trouble of trying to pinpoint the exact game he stopped. But I do think he received a mandate from the coaching staff that they did not want him to do it.

I actually didn't mind it because there were times that a well executed spin can be quite elusive and gain an opening and some extra yards, but since he seemed to use it so often, perhaps it had become a crutch that they wanted to take away.

I think he has so much ability that he should have a higher YPC. He sometimes doesn't hit the hole as aggressively as he could at times. Other times yes. I think he is adjusting his style, still, to running without using a spin move, and I hope he can be a bigger factor in the post-season.

proudpittsburgher
01-04-2011, 06:35 PM
To go back to the original part of this thread, before the personal insults reigned down and we got drunk on Mendy spin moves. :) I too thought for th epast three games, our O-line was workign very well. Ben was getting plenty of time to pass when needed, Mendy was getting some big holes to run through every so often, it really has looked like a totally different line. Now, whether that is a result of the play calling or them gelling, i don't know for sure, but there is a noticible difference.

hawaiiansteel
01-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Playoff newcomers excited

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com
Posted Jan 3, 2011

You can’t blame Jonathan Scott for still having a smile on his face on Monday, the day after the Steelers won the AFC North. After all, since coming into the NFL in 2006 not only has Scott not been in the playoffs, he has never even been on a winning team.

Scott, who signed a one-year deal with the Steelers this offseason, was drafted by the Detroit Lions in 2006 and spent two seasons there, going 3-13 and 7-9. He signed with the Buffalo Bills late in 2008 and they finished 7-9 and in 2009 the Bills were 6-10.

“It’s an amazing feeling being able to look at the whole spectrum of the league and see there are only 12 teams left. That is it and we are one of them,” said Scott. “Now we are at a point where we have to go out there and continue to do what we are doing and strive to be the best.”

He credits the attitude among Steelers players with being the driving force in them making the post-season and putting them in position to make a Super Bowl run.

“I like that everyone knows they are going to win,” said Scott. “That attitude shows when you are out on the field with everyone. It’s expected. It gives you a great deal of confidence knowing we are going to come out with a victory, the next guy is going to give his all. It’s always refreshing to know someone is battling for you and fighting to get a ‘W’ for you.
“This team has a lot of resilience, a lot of fight mentally and physically. As you can see it’s carried all of the way into January.”

Scott, who was sporting his AFC North Champs t-shirt, said he never experienced an attitude like the one in the Steelers locker room since he has been in the NFL and it reminds him of the way things were at the University of Texas.

“I am having glimpses of what it was like when we won a National Championship when I was back in school,” said Scott. “This is a feeling I remember and a feeling I love to have. We have to keep it rolling.”

Linebacker Stephenson Sylvester is fortunate to experience the playoffs as a rookie, and after growing up watching games he is looking forward to being on the other side of it.

“Being a fan in the years before, in college and high school, and watching the NFL so much and now you are a part of the playoffs, is great,” said Sylvester.

Many of the veterans have been sharing advice with the younger players, letting them know what to expect this time of year.

“Things intensify in December and January,” said Sylvester. “The coaches and veterans tell us about it, that the play is different, the energy, games are closer. You have to go out each game and know every play can have an effect on the game.”

The dates won’t be known until spring, but the Steelers do know who they will be playing in 2011. The following are the team’s opponents for next season:

Home: Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, New England Patriots, St. Louis Rams, Seattle Seahawks.

Away: Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Kansas City Chiefs, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...1-57c2e4326c9e