PDA

View Full Version : Ben Finishes 3rd in AFC QB Rating

Flasteel
01-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Cassel and Flacco both flamed out in week 17 while Ben tossed out a 141 QB rating. For the season Ben finishes with a 96.98 rating, only behind Brady and Rivers. Since Rivers' team didn't even make the playoffs (despite one of the top offenses and defenses in the league), voting P. Manning and this choker ahead of Ben in the Pro Bowl only underscores the travesty.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Great post - hopefully this is just one more thing that makes these guys play angry/chip on shoulder/etc.

Crash
01-02-2011, 06:12 PM
3000 yards in 12 games.

He's no Matt Schaub either!

msp26505
01-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Passer rating is the most overrated stat in football.

But Ben is a great football player, which I'll take any day.

sentinel33
01-02-2011, 07:05 PM
ben couldnt care less about pro-bowls. its all about winning games and the lombardi. thats it.

SteelTorch
01-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Passer rating is the most overrated stat in football.

But Ben is a great football player, which I'll take any day.
Actually, passer rating has the highest correlation with winning in the NFL (except for YPA). :P

Crash
01-02-2011, 07:27 PM
For Ben to have over a 90 rating playing the "vertical" style he plays is an amazing feat.

We stayed out of 3rd and long today, and it was quite easy.

Irongut
01-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Ben looked great today and last week.

That said, he has exactly one quality win this year imo and that was Baltimore. He hasn't shown he can do anything similar to today against playoff caliber teams. Hopefully he can and we'll see in two weeks.

Crash
01-02-2011, 07:33 PM

That said, he has exactly one quality win this year imo and that was Baltimore. He hasn't shown he can do anything similar to today against playoff caliber teams. Hopefully he can and we'll see in two weeks.

Yeah Ben has two rings because he doesn't beat good teams.

He's no Philip Rivers either.

Irongut
01-02-2011, 07:41 PM

I read my post again and it said nothing about Ben's two rings or Philip Rivers but did discuss his year this year.

If you wish to discuss Ben's two rings or Philip Rivers, you should start a new thread or visit a chargers board.

If you wish to debate my above post, feel free to do so. Focus, focus!

SteelAbility
01-02-2011, 08:00 PM

I read my post again and it said nothing about Ben's two rings or Philip Rivers but did discuss his year this year.

If you wish to discuss Ben's two rings or Philip Rivers, you should start a new thread or visit a chargers board.

If you wish to debate my above post, feel free to do so. Focus, focus!

In Ben's 12 games, we have outscored opponents by 117 points (almost 10 points per game). You may have a point about quality wins (which is a bit subjective), but outscoring your opponents by 10 a game is, quite arguably, quality.

Also, truth be told, the problem is the OL here. Now that they got 10 days off, you could see what a difference it makes. With a decent OL, Ben put up almost 13 YPA. Plus, as someone else mentioned, the Browns hadn't given up 30 points all season. To put up 41 on that can also be considered quality.

Ben is playing quality ball. It's the OL that has had the quality problem.

Irongut
01-02-2011, 08:09 PM
In Ben's 12 games, we have outscored opponents by 117 points (almost 10 points per game). You may have a point about quality wins (which is a bit subjective), but outscoring your opponents by 10 a game is, quite arguably, quality.

Also, truth be told, the problem is the OL here. Now that they got 10 days off, you could see what a difference it makes. With a decent OL, Ben put up almost 13 YPA. Plus, as someone else mentioned, the Browns hadn't given up 30 points all season. To put up 41 on that can also be considered quality.

That stat is definitely a bit skewed with todays win, the other browns win, oakland and cincy wins. All lousy teams. Anyone who watches knows our offense has been inconsistent at best and against quality teams, putrid all season. They have looked great the last two weeks but again, it was against the worst team in the league and a browns team that clearly mailed it in.

The OL isn't great but Ben's hesitant style and refusal to take shorter stuff has caused many of the problems some blame on the OL.

Ben has certainly played quality ball the last two weeks against Carolina and Cleveland.

SteelAbility
01-02-2011, 08:22 PM

That stat is definitely a bit skewed with todays win, the other browns win, oakland and cincy wins. All lousy teams. Anyone who watches knows our offense has been inconsistent at best and against quality teams, putrid all season. They have looked great the last two weeks but again, it was against the worst team in the league and a browns team that clearly mailed it in.

The OL isn't great but Ben's hesitant style and refusal to take shorter stuff has caused many of the problems some blame on the OL.

Ben has certainly played quality ball the last two weeks against Carolina and Cleveland.

He also played quality against the NYJ (#7 in points given up) and NE (#10 in points given up). As we all noted in the NYJ game, there were multiple non-PI calls on Emmanuel Sanders' defenders. He was also hampered by the STs giving up a TD as well as a very fluke safety on a play-call complained about by several on this board. Also, in the NE game, the D gave up 32. Ben had a pick6 on a sloppy reception effort by ARE.

Flasteel
01-02-2011, 08:51 PM
...by the way 158 straight passes and counting without a pick.

Crash
01-02-2011, 09:10 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Shaddup!

Quick passes, not too many 3rd and longs, makes things a lot easier on offense.

Always does.

3rd and long is our achillies heel.

Irongut
01-02-2011, 09:19 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Shaddup!

Quick passes, not too many 3rd and longs, makes things a lot easier on offense.

Always does.

3rd and long is our achillies heel.

3rd and long is caused by 1st and 2nd down failures. What is your point? Isn't Ben the QB on 1st and 2nd downs?

SteelAbility
01-02-2011, 09:20 PM
...by the way 158 straight passes and counting without a pick.

I was just curious about that. I noticed Ben's pick count was way down this year. His last one may been against the Pats. Not sure.

Irongut
01-02-2011, 09:22 PM
He also played quality against the NYJ (#7 in points given up) and NE (#10 in points given up). As we all noted in the NYJ game, there were multiple non-PI calls on Emmanuel Sanders' defenders. He was also hampered by the STs giving up a TD as well as a very fluke safety on a play-call complained about by several on this board. Also, in the NE game, the D gave up 32. Ben had a pick6 on a sloppy reception effort by ARE.

Ben played horrible against the Pats. Our offense couldn't get more than 3pts through 3 quarters. Only when NE backed off to protect a lead in the fourth did he do anything.

Jets game was another loss. As I said, one quality win. The Ravens and that by a slim margin.

Someone likes to say Rivers beats up on the poor teams. Seems Ben does the same.

Crash
01-02-2011, 09:22 PM
3rd and long is caused by 1st and 2nd down failures. What is your point? Isn't Ben the QB on 1st and 2nd downs?

We run too much on 1st down, especially in the redzone.

Mendy sometimes dances too much, looses 5 yards instead of taking a 1 yard gain.

That turns second and 9 into second and 15.

When you watch games, sober, you see these things.

Irongut
01-02-2011, 09:29 PM

We run too much on 1st down, especially in the redzone.

Mendy sometimes dances too much, looses 5 yards instead of taking a 1 yard gain.

That turns second and 9 into second and 15.

When you watch games, sober, you see these things.

Nice try. I need to sober up now? Oh my, you are pricelessly stupid.

How many 5 yard losses, not looses, does Mendy have this year?

We run too much on 1st down? Really? Really? Last I checked a few weeks ago we were about even in pass/run ratio for first down.

Feel free to post the stats.

I agree, having Ben in shotgun in the redzone and handing off is stupid. Ben would be incredible in a power set, rolling out, working play action and with a strong run game and limiting his reads and time to think and "brainfart."

Crash
01-02-2011, 09:32 PM
We don't have a strong running game. All the Steelers do is use their erratic running game MORE.

That doesn't make it BETTER.

Irongut
01-02-2011, 09:42 PM
We don't have a strong running game. All the Steelers do is use their erratic running game MORE.

That doesn't make it BETTER.
We don't focus on the run game. We don't use formations good for the run game.

We ask roadgraders like Starks, Kemo, Foster, Adams, etc. to act like ballerinas and go backwards not forwards.

As I said, put Ben in the proper formations and system for his abilities and he'd be the best QB in the league.

Crash
01-02-2011, 09:44 PM

They use two TE sets, the formation you claimed was the best formation in the NFL.

They do what you wanted.

Irongut
01-02-2011, 09:46 PM

They use two TE sets, the formation you claimed was the best formation in the NFL.

They do what you wanted.

No, they don't.

I do like the 2 tight formation though I don't believe I used "the best formation" to describe. When used properly, it can be dynamite. I fail to see what that has to do with anything though. You clearly don't understand the ability of the two tight set. Perhaps Tom Brady can show you. I think Gronkowski just scored again.