PDA

View Full Version : Cowher to Carolina?

SteelCrazy
12-31-2010, 06:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/stor ... LHeadlines (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5975190&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

The Carolina Panthers announced Friday that coach John Fox will not return next season.

The team also said the contracts of Fox's assistant coaches will not be renewed.

"I told John today that I appreciate everything he has done for us over the last nine years, but as happens in this business, it is time for both sides to move in different directions," Panthers owner Jerry Richardson said in a statement.

Fox's departure has been no secret, and his last full practice at the Panthers' complex was an odd scene with the Meineke Car Care Bowl about to kick off just a few steps away. Fox gathered the players around him shortly before noon, with a burst of laughter heard from players as they broke toward the locker room.

"It's been a lot of great memories, a lot of fond memories, a lot of great relationships and something I'll cherish forever," Fox said. "Now [I'll] just embark on the next chapter."

Fox was first denied a contract extension after the 2008 season. He entered the last year of his deal this fall after the Panthers began a youth movement that's left them an NFL-worst 2-13.

"It's not new," Fox said of his impending departure. "It's something I've been preparing for actually for a couple of years."

League sources told ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas that Fox was allowed to explore other options before this season. Sources said he was a candidate for the Buffalo Bills' opening that eventually went to Chan Gailey, but Fox elected to finish out his contract with the Panthers.

A rift had developed between Richardson and Fox since Carolina's 33-13 loss to Arizona in the team's last playoff game in January 2009. Fox was more vocal this season in showing displeasure for several personnel moves that left the Panthers short on experience and talent.

The Panthers have the league's worst offense and have locked up the worst record and the No. 1 overall draft pick in April.

The 55-year-old Fox, who is making more than $6 million this season, is 78-73 in Carolina, which includes the franchise's only Super Bowl appearance after the 2003 season. But the Panthers have never had consecutive winning seasons under Fox, who inherited a 1-15 team from George Seifert in 2002.

In his statement, Richardson didn't address what he'd be looking for in a new coach. Only Jeff Fisher in Tennessee, Bill Belichick in New England and Andy Reid in Philadelphia have been with their teams longer than Fox, who had been the New York Giants' defensive coordinator.

"While we haven't accomplished all of the goals we set as an organization when we signed him in 2002, we have certainly had our share of high moments -- the Super Bowl, two NFC championship games, and a division title in 2008," said Richardson, who hasn't answered questions from reporters in almost three years. "We wish John and his family the best going forward."

There was a light mood around Friday's practice and cornerback Captain Munnerlyn said Fox never brought up his ouster with the players. Munnerlyn said by phone that the news was "shocking."

"It's sad and it kind of hurts, too," Munnerlyn said. "These are the guys who have been coaching me since I came into the league last year, so you get close to them. It makes me sad to see them go."

It follows a theme of players lining up to support Fox, known for being tough but also as a player's coach. Fox has been able to hold onto the locker room despite his lame-duck status and the team's poor record.

"I'll say this," Fox said before hustling inside after practice, "these guys have stayed enthusiastic and have continued to work very hard all season."

The Panthers will be without cornerback Chris Gamble (ankle), fullback Tony Fiammetta (ankle) and defensive tackle Ed Johnson (knee) against the Falcons (12-3), who need the win to lock up the No. 1 seed in the NFC playoffs.

Receiver Steve Smith (calf) also is questionable after missing practice Friday, further depleting a team that had serious deficiencies before being hit with a number of injuries.

Armed with the No. 1 pick and a new coach, the Panthers are hoping to make a quick turnaround.

"I guess the owner and the general manager are trying to make this team better," Munnerlyn said, "so we have to put our faith in them."

hawaiiansteel
12-31-2010, 06:50 PM
although Cowher has a lot of NC ties, the Panthers weren't on his wish list of preferred teams Cowher would like to coach for. reportedly, the Carolina owner does not want to pay big bucks for a new coach and Cowher would undoubtedly want a lot of money.

one interesting candidate I have heard for the Caolina job is Russ Grimm.

SteelCrazy
12-31-2010, 07:02 PM
although Cowher has a lot of NC ties, the Panthers weren't on his wish list of preferred teams Cowher would like to coach for. reportedly, the Carolina owner does not want to pay big bucks for a new coach and Cowher would undoubtedly want a lot of money.

I'm sure Russ would come cheap.

hawaiiansteel
12-31-2010, 07:06 PM

yeah, Grimm is probably so desperate for a HC job that he would accept a relatively low salary.

Notleadpoisoned
12-31-2010, 07:37 PM

yeah, Grimm is probably so desperate for a HC job that he would accept a relatively low salary.
Russ Grimm should have pursued that Pitt HC position when it opened up a few weeks ago because I just don't see him ever becoming a HC in the NFL.

hawaiiansteel
12-31-2010, 07:46 PM

Russ Grimm should have pursued that Pitt HC position when it opened up a few weeks ago because I just don't see him ever becoming a HC in the NFL.

for a while there I was worried that Grimm was going to be our HC, I think that would have turned out to be an unmitigated disaster.

Notleadpoisoned
12-31-2010, 08:39 PM

Maybe there is a HC job for Grimm at Pitt after what just happened today..

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5976125

papillon
12-31-2010, 09:21 PM

Maybe there is a HC job for Grimm at Pitt after what just happened today..

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5976125

Wow, Pitt can't catch a break with their football program. The only way they'll become relevant again is to catch lightning in a bottle and have a relative nobody come on board and be successful. No tenured coach would want the job, IMO.

Pappy

Starlifter
01-01-2011, 01:22 AM
I wonder how many interviews Arians has lined up?........... :stirpot :stirpot

hawaiiansteel
01-01-2011, 02:23 AM
I wonder how many interviews Arians has lined up?........... :stirpot :stirpot

only one:

http://learnthat.com/files/2010/12/building-cleaner-career.jpg

pittpete
01-01-2011, 12:32 PM
LOL

proudpittsburgher
01-01-2011, 02:04 PM
the Carolina owner does not want to pay big bucks for a new coach and Cowher would undoubtedly want a lot of money.

And people wonder why no one cares about football in carolina and jacksonville and places like that. You have a chance to make a real difference with your team, and you decide to cheap out. Then I am sure the owner will cry big croc tears when he doesn't get a sellout and the game gets blacked out. Newsflash, BC will make your team better from day 1. Russ Grimm will not.

RuthlessBurgher
01-01-2011, 02:30 PM
I think the Panthers should go after Jim Harbaugh. Perhaps he would jump at the chance to continue coaching Andrew Luck at the next level, since Luck should be the #1 pick of the Panthers.

hawaiiansteel
01-01-2011, 03:19 PM
I think the Panthers should go after Jim Harbaugh. Perhaps he would jump at the chance to continue coaching Andrew Luck at the next level, since Luck should be the #1 pick of the Panthers.

reprtedly, the SF 49'ers are hot and heavy after Harbaugh.

RuthlessBurgher
01-01-2011, 04:38 PM

reprtedly, the SF 49'ers are hot and heavy after Harbaugh.

Michigan too...they'd like to bring their old QB back to his alma mater to replace Rich Rod.

NC Steeler Fan
01-01-2011, 05:13 PM
I dunno. I kinda think Cowher may go to carolina...

hawaiiansteel
01-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Michigan too...they'd like to bring their old QB back to his alma mater to replace Rich Rod.

Rich Rod is as good as gone, in my opinion. the defense is horrible and he has been unable to beat any of the other top teams in the Big-10 (something like 1-13 against the other Big-10 Big Boys).

I hope Michigan treats him as poorly as Rich Rod treated West Virginia when he left that program.

buckeyehoppy
01-02-2011, 03:33 AM
D!ck Rod licks a-nus!

Now, onto the topic!

The Chin is not openly coveting any jobs. This is no surprise. It was claimed that he had a "wish list" of the NY Giants, Miami and Houston. But, he has already refuted these rumors, at least for the time being.

http://www.gacksports.com/11142/bill-co ... snt-exist/ (http://www.gacksports.com/11142/bill-cowher-wish-list-doesnt-exist/)

OTOH, I would be surprised that he wouldn't listen to an offer from any of the three. All three of these teams are noted for one thing: underachievement. His presence could revitalize any of these teams and he has the track record to prove it.

Cowher to Carolina? WHY? Why would he want the rebuild? Why would he want to coach for a cheap skate owner when he had it so good in Pittsburgh? Why would he need to reprove himself by beating his head against the wall making sense of Carolina?

If Cowher isn't already a HOF candidate as a coach, he isn't that far off and his career numbers in Pittsburgh bear that out. Going to Carolina would be a huge step backward. Going to NYG, MIA, or HOU has a certain amount of built-in excellence in any of those gigs and he doesn't need to re-invent the wheel with any of those jobs.

hawaiiansteel
01-04-2011, 10:18 PM
from Dale Lolley's blog:

As we sit here, a day after Black Monday, there don't appear to be a lot of openings for former Steelers coach Bill Cowher to take advantage of.

Cowher obviously wants another coaching job, but two days into the offseason for the majority of the league, there's not a lot out there.

It looks like Jason Garrett and Leslie Frazier are going to stay on in Dallas and Minnesota, respectively.

Houston is keeping Gary Kubiak, as are the Giants with Tom Coughlin.

Miami has not made a move, but the word is that GM Jeff Ireland is going to stay no matter what and since Cowher wants control of personnel, that won't work.

Denver wants to make a bold move at head coach and is wooing Jim Harbaugh.

Carolina also wants Harbaugh and won't pay the $8 to $10-million Cowher will command.

Cowher and Cleveland president Mike Holmgren are friends, but Holmgren has control of personnel matters, so that marriage isn't likely to happen.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

The Sodfather
01-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Looks like its Miami or bust for Billy Boy.

Oviedo
01-05-2011, 09:36 AM
from Dale Lolley's blog:

As we sit here, a day after Black Monday, there don't appear to be a lot of openings for former Steelers coach Bill Cowher to take advantage of.

Cowher obviously wants another coaching job, but two days into the offseason for the majority of the league, there's not a lot out there.

It looks like Jason Garrett and Leslie Frazier are going to stay on in Dallas and Minnesota, respectively.

Houston is keeping Gary Kubiak, as are the Giants with Tom Coughlin.

Miami has not made a move, but the word is that GM Jeff Ireland is going to stay no matter what and since Cowher wants control of personnel, that won't work.

Denver wants to make a bold move at head coach and is wooing Jim Harbaugh.

Carolina also wants Harbaugh and won't pay the $8 to $10-million Cowher will command.

Cowher and Cleveland president Mike Holmgren are friends, but Holmgren has control of personnel matters, so that marriage isn't likely to happen.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Cowher wants the NY Ginats job and will wait until they tire of Coughlin.

San Francisco is going hard after Harbaugh and IMO would be a great fit for him. No way do I see Harbaugh leaving Stanford for Michigan.

Only chance Carolina has to get Harbaugh is if Harbaugh is enticed by the chance to draft Luck as part of a package deal.

When you look around, I think Carolina is actually a very desireable job. They have solid RBs who Luck can use. They have good talent in their front seven on defense. IMO they aren't that far from success.

RuthlessBurgher
01-05-2011, 01:31 PM
No way do I see Harbaugh leaving Stanford for Michigan.

I too think that Jim heads to the pros after witnessing the success of his brother.

But you can never discount sentimentality when the alma mater comes calling.

http://draftharbaugh.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/harbaugh.jpg

ColumbusSteelerFan
01-05-2011, 01:45 PM
No way do I see Harbaugh leaving Stanford for Michigan.

I too think that Jim heads to the pros after witnessing the success of his brother.

But you can never discount sentimentality when the alma mater comes calling.

http://draftharbaugh.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/harbaugh.jpg

You have to remember that Harbaugh asked Lloyd Carr to be part of his coaching staff in 2002 and Carr declined. So, he went elsewhere and became a success without them, and doesn't really owe them anything in that respect.

I just watched Dave Brandon's press conference and he said that he's "starting a nationwide search" for the next coach. If he's just starting, then he's a little too late, but I have a feeling something's already done and just working out some details. I would be surprised if it really was JH in the end, though.

sentinel33
01-05-2011, 01:52 PM
i also feel that Carolina wouldnt be a complete re-fab. you have a strong RB corps with stewart and goodson and maybe williams, although i think hes a FA and likely to go get paid.
getting Cowher could go a long way with re-signing steve smith. AND cowher gets the #1 pick in the draft.
isnt his family based in carolina now? i think he still has one more daughter that needs to graduate from high school.
if the owner is smart he will get cowher. the panthers would be one of the top headlines in the nfl next year.-new coach-Bill Cowher,#1 pick-Luck. and an agreeable schedule to start off with.
its the best opportunity out there.
plus he'd be in the nfc and we would only have to deal with the chin once every 4 years and Superbowls!

Oviedo
01-05-2011, 01:55 PM
i also feel that Carolina wouldnt be a complete re-fab. you have a strong RB corps with stewart and goodson and maybe williams, although i think hes a FA and likely to go get paid.
getting Cowher could go a long way with re-signing steve smith. AND cowher gets the #1 pick in the draft.
isnt his family based in carolina now? i think he still has one more daughter that needs to graduate from high school.
if the owner is smart he will get cowher. the panthers would be one of the top headlines in the nfl next year.-new coach-Bill Cowher,#1 pick-Luck. and an agreeable schedule to start off with.
plus he'd be in the nfc and we would only have to deal with the chin once every 4 years and Superbowls!

Word is that Richardson will not pay the Cowher asking price.

RuthlessBurgher
01-05-2011, 02:12 PM

His youngest daughter Lindsay is a sophomore at Elon University (which is in North Carolina).

I believe both older girls, Meagan and Lauren, have already graduated from Princeton.

And, of course, his wife passed away several months ago.

ramblinjim
01-05-2011, 02:21 PM
I heard that Carolina wouldn't pay coach Cowher also. Would he do San Francisco if Harbaugh goes to Michigan? It's a large market, there's money there, a great young line backer for Bill to work with on the "D" and a couple of good young o-linemen....

ramblinjim
01-05-2011, 02:23 PM
I heard that Carolina wouldn't pay coach Cowher also. Would he do San Francisco if Harbaugh goes to Michigan? It's a large market, there's money there, a great young line backer for Bill to work with on the "D" and a couple of good young o-linemen....

Sugar
01-05-2011, 05:57 PM

Word is that Richardson will not pay the Cowher asking price.

Tough times make monkeys eat red peppers.

hawaiiansteel
01-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Adam Shefter was just on ESPN discussing the HC job openings in the NFL.

Shefter strongly believes that Bill Cowher will not be coaching this year.

hawaiiansteel
01-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Updated: January 11, 2011

Sources: Ron Rivera to coach Panthers

ESPN.com news services

Former San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera has agreed to become the Carolina Panthers' next head coach, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The Panthers are now putting the "finishing touches" on their agreement with Rivera.

The Panthers have called a 5 p.m. ET news conference, presumably to announce the hiring of Rivera.

Rivera is interested in talking with former University of Pittsburgh coach Dave Wannstedt, who wants to become an assistant head coach, about the Panthers' defensive coordinator's job, sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Schefter.

Rivera, a former linebacker with the Bears and a member of Chicago's Super Bowl-winning team in 1985, has been with the Chargers since midway through the 2008 season. Rivera also was the Bears' defensive coordinator from 2004 to '06.

He has plenty of experience interviewing for head-coaching jobs, with Carolina marking the ninth team to talk to him over the years.

The Panthers are looking for the fourth coach in their 16-year history after Panthers owner Jerry Richardson decided not to bring back John Fox after his ninth season ended with an NFL-worst 2-14 record.

Richardson said last week that while he was most concerned with his team's league-worst offense, it wouldn't stop the Panthers from hiring a defensive-minded coach as long as he had a strong offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

"We're putting a very high priority on the offense and that can be accomplished without having an offensive head coach," Richardson said.

The son of a U.S. Army officer, Rivera lived in Germany, Panama, Washington, Maryland and California growing up and has a diverse coaching background, working with both the 3-4 and 4-3 defensive schemes.

The Panthers have used the 4-3 scheme since Fox's arrival in 2002.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6011884