PDA

View Full Version : Assuming Troy can barely play ... would you play him?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-31-2010, 04:25 PM
First look answer would seem to be "no" in my book - don't aggravate a barely healed injury, rather let him heal up more so he's ready for when we really need him two weeks later.

But ... look what those Clowns did to us last year. If I were Tomlin, I would be really unsure about what to do.

My best answer - if he can play at all, suit him up, but don't start him. He can be the safety equivalent of a Johnny Unitas in Superbowl III - backing up Earl Morrell, ready to come in if needed. (Of course, Johnny U. did have to come in, and really didn't do all that well in the end, but that was then, Troy would save the day of course!).

Crash
12-31-2010, 04:27 PM
Hines says he needs to play and he can rest next week, so I guess Troy should play.

pick6
12-31-2010, 05:07 PM
Excellent question. Sit him. There's no way I would play him. Even if he was 80 or 90 percent. The man needs his rest and if we can't beat the Browns without him then I think that says a lot.

pittpete
12-31-2010, 06:13 PM
No, let the man heal up.
When healthy the guy can win a game on his own.
BOTTOM LINE,Mangina is gone,the team cant save his job & if we cant beat the sh-t eatin Brownies w/o Troy then we dont deserve the AFC North Title.

Chucktownsteeler
12-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Sit him.

No brainer.

Chucktown

SteelCrazy
12-31-2010, 06:23 PM
What the Browns did to us last year had nothing to do with the Defense, well, ours anyway. We held them to 13 pts, but could only muster up 6 on Offense. If that is the case this year, we need not even go to the playoffs.

Without Troy we win 23-10.....

hawaiiansteel
12-31-2010, 06:28 PM
since your thread says "can barely play"...the answer is obvious.

http://ia.ita.doc.gov/download/rfm-scope/magnet-images/target-122208/053-19-2077%20NoWay-TGT%202007-004711-035.jpg

MaxAMillion
12-31-2010, 10:13 PM
Excellent question. Sit him. There's no way I would play him. Even if he was 80 or 90 percent. The man needs his rest and if we can't beat the Browns without him then I think that says a lot.

Don't understand that argument. The Pats lost to the Browns earlier this year. The Eagles just lost to the Vikings with their 3rd string QB. The Bills took the Steelers and the Ravens to overtime. The NFL is a fairly balanced league. Winning teams get beat by teams with losing records all the time. The Steelers have to beat the Browns in order to make the Super Bowl. This game should be treated like a playoff game. I would play him in order to get the win. I will worry about the next game later. Losing this week to the Browns makes winning the Super Bowl a long shot.

virgilbosetti
12-31-2010, 11:01 PM
No...hope that helps.

:Cheers

fordfixer
01-01-2011, 02:26 AM
Hines says he needs to play and he can rest next week, so I guess Troy should play.

Link?

sentinel33
01-01-2011, 02:51 AM
if troy is 100% then suit him up. but he only plays if we need him. IE-injury or we are down 4+ points and need a big play. thats it. if we have a chance at the lombardi this year we need all hands on deck. that means troy and that means aaron. and if mundy and clark get taken by mccoy then forget about the lombardi.

chiken
01-01-2011, 12:26 PM
If we lose to the Browns then this is Troys Bye-week. With him healthy We can win 4 games in a Row.

With him hobbled it looks like we could be 1 and done.

You don't risk the Post Season for the Browns.

proudpittsburgher
01-01-2011, 02:07 PM
I would love to play him for a quarter, go real aggressive on offense and try and put the Browns away early, then sit Troy. We didn't put the browns away early last year and we saw what happened. WE are better than them, we need to prove it in the first quarter. Earn the bye, then sit the starters. We need that bye.

NC Steeler Fan
01-01-2011, 04:59 PM
I say sit him.

If we need Troy to beat the stains, we need him more to beat others in the POs...

buckeyehoppy
01-02-2011, 04:12 AM
I would love to play him for a quarter, go real aggressive on offense and try and put the Browns away early, then sit Troy. We didn't put the browns away early last year and we saw what happened. WE are better than them, we need to prove it in the first quarter. Earn the bye, then sit the starters. We need that bye.

Outside of suiting him up and NOT playing him, I am in absolute agreement, PP. He needs to dress for this game as the insurance policy.

We absolutely need to rack up a huge lead early in this game. Unless we somehow get that from a Pick 6 or two, we will need the onus for a big early lead to fall on the offense. That means going no-huddle and not allowing the Clowns to figure out our rhythm. Going no-huddle takes any game plan by our $hizzle-for-brains OC mostly out of the equation. Snag a two or three TD lead early and that will demoralize the Clowns more than anything. Kicking FGs will not and will embolden a team that should get their doors blown off.

Our D just needs to keep doing what their doing. And, one thing to keep in mind: the nature of Troy's injury makes it a good idea to have a solid backup just in case. Mundy has been solid in Troy's absence and having him at game speed going toward the playoffs just makes sense. The more PT Mundy gets, the better.

steelblood
01-02-2011, 10:47 AM
He should play unless the docs strongly advise against it. Without knowing the medical specifics, this is a very difficult question. But, we need to win this game. The Browns will treat this as their Super Bowl.

fezziwig
01-02-2011, 11:18 AM
If Troy is healthy enough to play do not play him unless, there is some total meltdown on our secondary or defense.