PDA

View Full Version : Alan Faneca completes 13th season, unsure about future

SteelCrazy
12-30-2010, 07:24 PM
TEMPE, Ariz. - Alan Faneca will complete his 13th NFL season on Sunday, lining up at left guard for the Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco in his 144th consecutive start.

At age 34, he knows it is time to consider retiring from the game, but says he isn't sure he can resist the lure of another season. After all, Faneca says, he has played the game since he was in the fourth grade.

Faneca made nine consecutive Pro Bowls from 2001-2009 with the Pittsburgh Steelers and New York Jets. He was chosen as an alternate this year, his first in the NFC.

Faneca signed a one-year deal with Arizona, so he will become a free agent. He says he is in no hurry to make his decision, and that his wife is supporting him in whatever he decides to do.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports ... 85739.html (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/veteran-alan-faneca-completes-13th-season-unsure-about-his-future-112685739.html)

hawaiiansteel
12-30-2010, 07:32 PM
I always liked Faneca and wish him well, hopefully he makes the right decision and retires.

SteelCrazy
12-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Did Faneca make the Pro Bowl on rep or actual play this year? I didnt pay attention. If he made it on play then maybe he has a year or 2 left.

hawaiiansteel
12-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Did Faneca make the Pro Bowl on rep or actual play this year? I didnt pay attention. If he made it on play then maybe he has a year or 2 left.

Faneca didn't make the Pro Bowl this year. the NFC guards were:

Jahri Evans, New Orleans
Chris Snee, N.Y. Giants
Carl Nicks, New Orleans

SteelCrazy
12-30-2010, 08:21 PM
He's an alternate, ohhhhhh. Still, he must have had a decent year.

hawaiiansteel
12-30-2010, 08:26 PM
He's an alternate, ohhhhhh. Still, he must have had a decent year.

Arizona Cardinals guard Alan Faneca considering retirement when season ends

by Kent Somers - Dec. 30, 2010
The Arizona Republic

http://i.azcentral.com/i/sized/5/6/C/e298/j350/PHP4D1D2B9EC2C65.jpg

Guard Alan Faneca will complete his 13th NFL season on Sunday, and will take some time to decide whether he wants to return for a 14th.

Faneca signed with the Cardinals last spring after being cut by the Jets. Selected to the Pro Bowl in each of the nine seasons before this one, Faneca has admitted he's not the player he was a few years ago.

But the Cardinals have been happy with Faneca's performance, and Faneca thinks he did a good job.

"It can always be better, but I think I've done well," Faneca said.

So does coach Ken Whisenhunt.

"I think there were a lot of judgments about Alan early, based on individual drills that you saw in training camp," Whisenhunt said. "If you look at his season as a whole, I think he did a good job for us this year. If you can get a lot of players like Alan Faneca on your team, you're going to win some ball games."

Faneca, 34, signed a one-year $2 million deal with the Cardinals. This off-season will be the first time he has seriously contemplated retirement, and he's made sure to enjoy this season as much as he could.

"You know you are getting closer to the end than you are to the beginning," Faneca said. "So you just appreciate the moment and treat it as if it is the last time. I've seen guys that haven't known (it was ending)."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardina ... z19exUYmFa (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2010/12/30/20101230arizona-cardinals-alan-faneca-retirement.html#ixzz19exUYmFa)

Oviedo
12-31-2010, 10:03 AM
One thing about his future is for sure...he will never sniff another Super Bowl or play off run. But then he can ride motorcycles with Russ Grimm and watch the Steelers in the play offs.

The way he acted when he left here I don't wish him anything but regrets but he has his money so that will be enough for him. He showed himself to be a classless bum trying to undermine the new coach his last year here.

fezziwig
12-31-2010, 10:13 AM
I wonder what is more important to these guys when they look back ? The money or a Super Bowl win or another Super Bowl win in Alan's case ?

Crash
12-31-2010, 12:34 PM
The Steelers lied to Faneca. He wanted to sign a "career ending" contract extension with the Steelers in 2005 and they told him to wait. Then he saw Hines Ward hold out and get paid, and then in 2007 they didn't sign him.

Should have just been honest with him from the start.

Ghost
12-31-2010, 01:04 PM
I always liked Fanaca and his tough play epitomized the Steeler attitude for quite some time. I was sorry to see him leave in the manner in which it occurred.

I do think it's shortsighted to place all the blame on AG though. Unless you think he was out right lying about the Steelers telling him they planned to work out a very fair deal with him if he'd wait just one more season, then some of this is the fault of Steelers ownership. The timing with Tomlin just coming in was mere coincidence. I can't imagine Coach Tomlin wanting him to leave - this was when Mahan and Okobi were "battling" it out for center ( :HeadBanger )

People forget that after he signed his second contract with the Steelers he restructured it multiple times to help them manage the cap. He was a multi-season All-Pro and the offer they gave him wasn't even going to put him in the top 10 lineman in NFL. They low balled him.

He's not a Steeler now so he's really of no concern in this current Championship drive but I'll never understand the venom/hatred directed his way.

grotonsteel
12-31-2010, 01:51 PM
Alan Faneca will end up in Canton once he hangs up the boot. One of the best pulling LG in NFL.

But i did not like him for calling out Ben in his rookie season. And his love for Grimm when Tomlin was the head coach here.

I don't see him saying same things about Sanchez or Skelton.

Crash
12-31-2010, 02:28 PM
Ben comments were taken completely out of context. He was asked about the situation, with Faneca being a veteran, not about Ben specifically.

SteelCrazy
12-31-2010, 03:15 PM
Ben comments were taken completely out of context. He was asked about the situation, with Faneca being a veteran, not about Ben specifically.

Has Ben ever done anything wrong? Is he a saint, not of New Orleans?

Crash
12-31-2010, 03:27 PM

Um, stupid. The topic is FANECA's comments on Ben/rookie QBs in 2004.

SteelCrazy
12-31-2010, 03:34 PM

You have never said anything remotely negative about Ben. I love the guy and only want him as our QB. I also feel we have been extremely lucky to have someone like Ben as our QB, because he is the definition of tough Steelers football. However, you constantly drool over the guy, defending him no matter what has been done, even when he admits he was wrong, you in turn defend him. It's quite disturbing. He should be scared of you.

Crash
12-31-2010, 04:04 PM

You have never said anything remotely negative about Ben. I love the guy and only want him as our QB. I also feel we have been extremely lucky to have someone like Ben as our QB, because he is the definition of tough Steelers football. However, you constantly drool over the guy, defending him no matter what has been done, even when he admits he was wrong, you in turn defend him. It's quite disturbing. He should be scared of you.

I have bashed Ben a helluva lot more than the Ward-ites have ever bashed their hero and Ward's been here twice as long.

Ward basically called out Troy today and said he needs to play Sunday.

Where's the thread on it?

SteelCrazy
12-31-2010, 04:45 PM

I have bashed Ben a helluva lot more than the Ward-ites have ever bashed their hero and Ward's been here twice as long.

Where's the thread on it?

If I read it, I would post it and bash Ward.

hawaiiansteel
12-31-2010, 05:09 PM

just curious, where did you read or hear that? I looked for it but couldn't find it anywhere...

Troy has already stated he wants to play, the decision on whether or not he does lies solely with the medical staff and Mike Tomlin at this point.

SteelCrazy
12-31-2010, 06:20 PM
Can't find anything on Hines calling out Troy, not even close.

birtikidis
12-31-2010, 07:17 PM
Funny, I root for the greatest team in the NFL and some of the best players ever to strap it up for my team. I RARELY bash a player. they have to be pretty bad for me to do that. I critisize them, but I don't call that bashing. Sucks to be you crash. to hate so many players on your favorite team. must suck man.

Crash
12-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Funny, I root for the greatest team in the NFL and some of the best players ever to strap it up for my team. I RARELY bash a player. they have to be pretty bad for me to do that. I critisize them, but I don't call that bashing. Sucks to be you crash. to hate so many players on your favorite team. must suck man.

You should say that to Ward. He's only happy when he makes everyone else miserable.

hawaiiansteel
12-31-2010, 07:50 PM
You should say that to Ward. He's only happy when he makes everyone else miserable.

or when he wins Super Bowls...

http://www.hotcornersports.com/SBXLHW1.JPG

SteelCrazy
12-31-2010, 07:53 PM
Crash! Where's this quote of Hines calling out Troy?

BradshawsHairdresser
12-31-2010, 08:31 PM
Crash! Where's this quote of Hines calling out Troy?

I think he's referring to this:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10365/11 ... eelers.xml (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10365/1114522-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml)

I don't know that it's exactly "Hines calling out Troy". Sounds like Troy wants to play Sunday, and that Hines acknowledged that. But it's Tomlin's decision.

Crash
12-31-2010, 08:36 PM
"We need him," Hines Ward said. "You got plenty of time to rest. We win this game, you can rest all next week. He doesn't have to practice until the following Friday, for all we care

That's calling him out.

I also love how its always "we".

Hines should be a man and admit its how HE thinks.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-31-2010, 08:52 PM
"We need him," Hines Ward said. "You got plenty of time to rest. We win this game, you can rest all next week. He doesn't have to practice until the following Friday, for all we care

That's calling him out.

In the article, Bouchette quotes Hines as saying, "He's going to try to go, I think." If Ward is calling anybody out, it's Tomlin, who will make the decision.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10365/11 ... 7nuB0Later (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10365/1114522-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz19jx7nuB0Later)

fordfixer
01-01-2011, 02:41 AM

You and Ward are a lot alike

Crash
01-01-2011, 11:53 AM

Hardly because unlike Hines I understand team concepts and loyalty.

Irongut
01-01-2011, 01:30 PM

You do? You've never played ANY team sports yet understad team concepts?

You've never held a job and have stated you don't want to look despite saying you "could work if you wanted to," yet you understand loyalty? What are you loyal to? Government checks? Your dog? Your right hand? Your toilet paper brand?

feltdizz
01-01-2011, 02:08 PM

You do? You've never played ANY team sports yet understad team concepts?

You've never held a job and have stated you don't want to look despite saying you "could work if you wanted to," yet you understand loyalty? What are you loyal to? Government checks? Your dog? Your right hand? Your toilet paper brand?

Bashing Ward IS his job. He's always on call too.

NC Steeler Fan
01-01-2011, 05:10 PM

ROFLMAO :lol:

As to the original subject...I will be forever grateful for Faneca
painting those X's and O's in grease paint on his hairy chest and
posing bare chested in a Steelers calendar a few years back.

THAT was hot... :shock:

hawaiiansteel
01-01-2011, 05:21 PM
guess Faneca forgot about Tip #1 when he chose to play for the Cardinals this year...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_g5-bZ38yOUE/SasGk-x-UAI/AAAAAAAAB3o/rU-dcw52meU/s400/faneca.png

fezziwig
01-02-2011, 11:25 AM
guess Faneca forgot about Tip #1 when he chose to play for the Cardinals this year...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_g5-bZ38yOUE/SasGk-x-UAI/AAAAAAAAB3o/rU-dcw52meU/s400/faneca.png

He skipped the first one

Crash
01-02-2011, 08:39 PM
He did? They went to the AFC title game his 2nd year there.

Irongut
01-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Wait. what? That's winning now?

This from the same person that repeatedly bashes Bill for getting to the same exact game?

I guess if you are bashing Bill Cowher, AFCC is not winning but if you are defending your boy Faneca, it is winning?

Inconsistent and moving criteria yet again.

Crash
01-02-2011, 09:04 PM

This from the same person that repeatedly bashes Bill for getting to the same exact game?

I guess if you are bashing Bill Cowher, AFCC is not winning but if you are defending your boy Faneca, it is winning?

I bashed Cowher for REPEATEDLY losing AFC title games at home.

Remember boy, your Bill only got a ring because the QB he didn't want got him one.

Ben winning ring #2 proved Cowher needed Ben more than Ben ever needed Cowher.

Cowher will NEVER win another Super Bowl.

Ben will win AT LEAST one more without Cowher.

Irongut
01-02-2011, 09:13 PM

I bashed Cowher for REPEATEDLY losing AFC title games at home.

Remember boy, your Bill only got a ring because the QB he didn't want got him one.

Ben winning ring #2 proved Cowher needed Ben more than Ben ever needed Cowher.

Cowher will NEVER win another Super Bowl.

Ben will win AT LEAST one more without Cowher.
No, he got a ring because he had a decent QB. Ben didn't win the game by himself. Anything but.

As I have repeatedly said, Bill had great teams lacking a competent QB. If we had drafted one or got one sooner, he'd have piled up the rings.

Regardless, you are inconsistent. Spinning the Faneca comment to your hate of Cowher won't change that. You bashed Cowher for the same thing you praise Faneca for, even after he acted a fool and left the team you supposedly root for.

I guess you are a Ben fan? Faneca fan? Not a Steelers fan.

Crash
01-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Now Bill had great teams? You FOR YEARS said Cowher got more out of teams with less talent than others.

Make up your mind dummy.

Oh wait, you can't.

It's fried.

Irongut
01-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Now Bill had great teams? You FOR YEARS said Cowher got more out of teams with less talent than others.

Make up your mind dummy.

Oh wait, you can't.

It's fried.
absolutely. They were great teams lacking at the QB position. Nothing has changed.

Bill repeatedly took his teams farther than they should have gone given the QB's. We all saw what he did when he finally had even a decent qb, even as a rookie.

Regardless, the topic is the big mouth redhead and your floating/ever changing agenda riddled criteria.

Nice try! Focus, focus!