PDA

View Full Version : "They tell my brother all the time they want to draft me"

hawaiiansteel
12-30-2010, 04:41 PM
No regrets, says Gators' Mike Pouncey, despite twin brother's NFL success

Posted: December 29, 2010

http://jacksonville.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/story_slideshow_thumb/editorial/images/images/mdControlled/cms/2010/12/30/763165122.jpg

Chris O'Meara/Associated Press

Florida center Mike Pouncey heads to practice for the Outback Bowl on Monday in Tampa. Florida takes on Penn State on New Year's Day.

By Michael DiRocco

TAMPA - Mike Pouncey will play his final game as a Florida football player on Saturday against Penn State in the Outback Bowl.

It's not how he envisioned his senior season ending when he decided last January to return without his twin brother, Maurkice. Mike figured he'd be competing for another national championship.

Instead, he suffered through five losses - the first time the Gators have lost that many regular-season games since 1988 - and season-long criticism of his move to center.

At the same time, his brother was drafted in the first round by the Pittsburgh Steelers, started every game for a team headed to the playoffs, and was announced as a Pro Bowl selection.

But Mike Pouncey says he isn't jealous and has no regrets about his decision to return to school.

"Everything happens for a reason," Pouncey said Wednesday. "We [he and his brother] talk about it all the time. I don't let stuff like that get to me. I just go out there and play football. It's been a blessing to play here, and it's been a blessing to be coached by Urban Meyer."

This season hasn't been as much of a blessing for Pouncey. There was conflict from the beginning.

First he had to yell at several freshmen - including highly touted recruits Sharrif Floyd and Dominique Easley - who were pouting and upset with the way they were being treated during preseason practices. Pouncey basically told them to shut up and remember their place, a message that had to be delivered but also a sign that the chemistry on the team wasn't as good as it needed to be.

Then came a disastrous season opener in which Pouncey had trouble with the shotgun snaps. He was off target all afternoon and sent a couple flying past quarterback John Brantley.

Since that game, Pouncey has had few troubles with snaps, but the offensive line didn't play up to expectations despite having four true or fifth-year senior starters.

The offense struggled, in part because of the line but also because Brantley wasn't a fit for the spread option offense.

Losses to Alabama, LSU, Mississippi State, South Carolina and Florida State kept the Gators from playing in the Southeastern Conference championship game for the third year in a row and ruined any chance of a BCS bowl.

Three days after UF received an invitation to the Outback Bowl, Meyer announced his resignation.

And Pouncey dealt with all of that without playing alongside his brother for the first time since they started playing organized sports.

They speak almost daily, and despite his brother's success and the knowledge that he could be playing in the NFL right now, Mike Pouncey only wished he hadn't come back for one quick moment.

"At first I did, but then now all the great news I'm getting about my draft stock I'm glad I came back," he said. "I really helped myself a lot this year."

Pouncey wouldn't elaborate on that news, but he's projected to be taken during the first three rounds. He hopes by the Steelers, so he can be reunited with his brother.

And in the first round, too.

"They tell my brother all the time they want to draft me, but they'll probably going to have the 32nd pick of the draft," Pouncey said, meaning he's picking the Steelers to win the Super Bowl.

First, however, he's playing against Penn State on Saturday, and that gives him a chance to finally do something his brother also did: finish his career with a victory.

"You want to go out a winner," Pouncey said. "That would be happy. It would obviously make everybody's year on the team."

http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/ ... ege+Sports (http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/florida-gators/2010-12-29/story/no-regrets-says-gators-mike-pouncey-despite-twin?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+JacksonvillecomCollegeBasketb all+(Jacksonville.com%3A+College+Sports))

RuthlessBurgher
12-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Hey Mike!

Yes, the Steelers want to draft you.

But if you want to get drafted by the Steelers, SHUT THE HELL UP ABOUT IT!!!

ScoreKeeper
12-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Hey Mike!

:lol:

costanza2k1
12-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Hey Mike!

That's exactly what I was thinking...keep it on the down low. It's not like everyone doesn't know, but still...

Discipline of Steel
12-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Hey Mike!

That's exactly what I was thinking...keep it on the down low. It's not like everyone doesn't know, but still...

Well, everybody does already know so why bother keeping it on the downlow? :D

Dee Dub
12-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Smoke Screen!!

He's not as good as his brother so why would the Steelers want to draft him in round one?

birtikidis
12-30-2010, 06:50 PM
Smoke Screen!!

He's not as good as his brother so why would the Steelers want to draft him in round one?
bc the Steelers have better talent evaluators then you.

RuthlessBurgher
12-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Smoke Screen!!

He's not as good as his brother, so he'll be drafted 14 spots lower than Maurkice (we'll take Mike with the 32nd pick after taking Maurkice with the 18th pick).

Sugar
12-31-2010, 02:30 AM
I'm sure having both brothers here would be great. That said, I sure hope we don't take another Guard/Center in the first round. As bad as the line has been, a CB is a much bigger need, IMO.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-31-2010, 07:52 AM
I would take Mike Pouncey in a heartbeat and lock down the interior of our line for the next decade.

Taking him would give the Steelers a bargaining chip once Maurkice contract is coming to a close and we need to resign him. What other team in free agency can ask him if he would like to stick around and continue to play ball with his twin brother? Sounds like very Steeler friendly contracts could be had, benefitting the Steelers down the road.

Oviedo
12-31-2010, 09:59 AM
Mike Pouncey probably has more value to us than another team because he would immediately have a tutor helping him learn the offense from the day he was drafted and having the brothers on the team could help when it comes time to resign them...if they want to stay together.

That said Mike Pouncey is probably a high to mid 2nd round pick so to get him we either drop out of the 1st Round (which is OK) or we overdraft him. He is not as good as his brother which is why Maurkice left a year early and he didn't.

I still think OT and CB are bigger priorities but both positions are lacking top end talent this year with two exceptions at CB (Peterson from LSU and the kid from Nebraska). Last year had better top end DBs but this draft is deep with CBs who could fit our scheme. It is also a thin draft at OT with no top of the draft talent among the Tackles. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see a OT drafted in the first 10 picks which is very different than the past several years.

With interior linemen I'll just say what I always say. Don't draft them in Round 1 unless you have a high confidence they can start from Day 1. It worked out for Pouncey I so maybe it would for Pouncey II.

fezziwig
12-31-2010, 10:14 AM
Hey Mike!

x2

drprwnap
12-31-2010, 11:19 AM
Smoke Screen!!

I bet if he was a 6' 4" wide receiver, you'd draft him in a heartbeat. :stirpot

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-31-2010, 12:06 PM
That scenario always seems to be the best. Trade out of the 1st into early 2nd & pick up a 3rd. Would be a great thing to do if it would work to get 2A-Pouncey, 2B-CB/OT/DL, 3A-CB/OT/DL, & 3B (CB/OT/DL).

The way OL & DL climb with bowl games & combine workouts, when April's draft rolls around the Steelers will have to trade up for Pouncey. I guess we will have to wait.

grotonsteel
12-31-2010, 12:25 PM
It is also a thin draft at OT with no top of the draft talent among the Tackles. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see a OT drafted in the first 10 picks which is very different than the past several years.

With interior linemen I'll just say what I always say. Don't draft them in Round 1 unless you have a high confidence they can start from Day 1. It worked out for Pouncey I so maybe it would for Pouncey II.

:Agree

I think that is why Steelers will get a chance at a good OT(Top3-5) at 32. Normally we see teams making a run at OT but 2011 draft apart from Cowgirls/Colts/Bears i don't see any team drafting an OT.

Also if you are drafting a RG in Rd 1 he better be starting from Day 1 else he is a bust.

Dee Dub
12-31-2010, 12:32 PM
Smoke Screen!!

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh….wrong. So because I don’t think he is as good as Markrice, which most experts agree with, you gotta bring the hate? Wow…happy new year to you too buddy.

I guess you missed this thread???

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15412 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15412)

TallyStiller
01-01-2011, 11:36 AM
I would take Mike Pouncey in a heartbeat and lock down the interior of our line for the next decade.

Taking him would give the Steelers a bargaining chip once Maurkice contract is coming to a close and we need to resign him. What other team in free agency can ask him if he would like to stick around and continue to play ball with his twin brother? Sounds like very Steeler friendly contracts could be had, benefitting the Steelers down the road.
:Agree

I'm betting a few folks here follow enough NHL to know who the Sedin brothers are - high scoring Swedish forwards who play in Vancouver and took a whole lot less $$$ than they could have commanded individually on the open market separately from New York, Toronto, Chicago, Montreal or the like because they wanted to stay together. The money in pro sports has reached a point where, when the difference in contract negotiations is between signing for an obscene amount of cash or merely a ridiculous one, other factors can sway the outcome... See Lee, Cliff for you baseball fans

It's not as if Mike Pouncey is a BAD football player - in fact, by some accounts, we'd be getting a bonus there, too, in that Maurkice is said to be more cerebral, while Mike is stronger and nastier. One wonders if some of Mike's struggles as a senior haven't been a function of his not having his brother next to him helping him - an advantage that 31 other NFL franchises wouldn't possess, meaning that the sum of the two guys playing next to each other, just like on the unbelieveable, MULTIPLE TITLE WINNING high school and college lines that they anchored, could be greater than it's parts.

RuthlessBurgher
01-01-2011, 02:34 PM
if you are drafting a RG in Rd 1 he better be starting from Day 1 else he is a bust.

Of course, on this board, if the #1 pick isn't starting from day one, he's a bust regardless of the position he plays.

hawaiiansteel
01-01-2011, 05:27 PM
if you are drafting a RG in Rd 1 he better be starting from Day 1 else he is a bust.

Of course, on this board, if the #1 pick isn't starting from day one, he's a bust regardless of the position he plays.

and if the rookie #1 draft pick isn't playing at an All-Pro level by Game Two then he also is a bust, just like Troy Bustamalu. :lol:

grotonsteel
01-01-2011, 06:00 PM

If a No.1 draft pick can't upstage an UDFA player at RG then i think its a wasted pick. RG is one of the easiest position to play on the O-line and if Steelers draft a player in Rd 1 to play RG who is on sideline for significant amount of time to learn the position then i think he should not have been picked in RD 1.

Draft a OG in Rd 2- Rd 3 and give him time to develop rather than spending a Rd 1 pick. There is no value to that pick IMO.

buckeyehoppy
01-02-2011, 04:38 AM
Mike Pouncey probably has more value to us than another team because he would immediately have a tutor helping him learn the offense from the day he was drafted and having the brothers on the team could help when it comes time to resign them...if they want to stay together.

That said Mike Pouncey is probably a high to mid 2nd round pick so to get him we either drop out of the 1st Round (which is OK) or we overdraft him. He is not as good as his brother which is why Maurkice left a year early and he didn't.

I still think OT and CB are bigger priorities but both positions are lacking top end talent this year with two exceptions at CB (Peterson from LSU and the kid from Nebraska). Last year had better top end DBs but this draft is deep with CBs who could fit our scheme. It is also a thin draft at OT with no top of the draft talent among the Tackles. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see a OT drafted in the first 10 picks which is very different than the past several years.

I see what you're saying here, Ovie. With that in mind, I have a few questions:

1) How well did the brothers play together at UF? You've seen a bit more UF football than I have, so I'll lay that query at your feet.

2) Would the way they played together be a cause for optimism or concern in the Steelers FO?

3) Bearing the answers to the first two questions in mind, could Mike come in a be a solid starter at LG? Everybody seems to think he'd automatically go RG. But, would he be good enough to switch Kemo to RG and insert Mike at LG?

I like the idea of drafting Mike wherever we draft in the 1st Round, under the notion that the apples don't fall that far apart once they drop from the tree.

Do I think we need to more heavily consider a LT? Sure. But the question with that would be whether the value is there. Honestly, unless two or three guys go to the combine and test out their a$$es, this year's crop looks thin for LT and it wouldn't make much sense to draft a T in the first to slot him at RT.

Oviedo
01-02-2011, 05:02 AM

I see what you're saying here, Ovie. With that in mind, I have a few questions:

1) How well did the brothers play together at UF? You've seen a bit more UF football than I have, so I'll lay that query at your feet.

2) Would the way they played together be a cause for optimism or concern in the Steelers FO?

3) Bearing the answers to the first two questions in mind, could Mike come in a be a solid starter at LG? Everybody seems to think he'd automatically go RG. But, would he be good enough to switch Kemo to RG and insert Mike at LG?

I like the idea of drafting Mike wherever we draft in the 1st Round, under the notion that the apples don't fall that far apart once they drop from the tree.

Do I think we need to more heavily consider a LT? Sure. But the question with that would be whether the value is there. Honestly, unless two or three guys go to the combine and test out their a$$es, this year's crop looks thin for LT and it wouldn't make much sense to draft a T in the first to slot him at RT.

They were very good together at Florida which was one of my concerns about Pouncey I when separated from Pouncey II going into last years draft.

Not sure about the LG or RG questions.

IMO I agree this is a thin OT class with a lot of RTs masquerading as LTs.

fezziwig
01-02-2011, 10:38 AM
To me the Steelers haven't failed in a long time or had a true bust at the number one pick. With our lofty status this season we will be getting a draft pick that will probably depend upon best athlete left over at the time.
I think with our Pouncey and all the fame or love he is getting I doubt his brother would be around anyway because his stock has probably gone up.

Nice to get him and I like the article about the Swedish hockey brothers and that would be cool if something like that could take place here. I agree, right guards are not the number one draft picks every team his excited to give it up for.
We sure could use an upgrade on our right guard and left guard too for that matter.

drprwnap
01-02-2011, 12:52 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":3lqe73r9]Smoke Screen!!

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh….wrong. So because I don’t think he is as good as Markrice, which most experts agree with, you gotta bring the hate? Wow…happy new year to you too buddy.

I guess you missed this thread???

http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/vi ... =2&t=15412 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15412)[/quote:3lqe73r9]

Yeah, I did miss that thread. It wasn't a hate post. I've read your other posts and it seems that you think we should draft a wr. Just kidding around a bit.....sorry if you took it the wrong way. Happy New Year to you....seriously. :)