PDA

View Full Version : Four Steelers named Pro Bowl alternates

PSU_dropout43
12-30-2010, 02:03 AM
https://twitter.com/#!/RyanClark25

@RyanClark25
Ryan Clark
Find out today that a few more guys were Pro bowl alt. Kiesel, Hampton, Woodley. Wait one more....... Oh yeah, Clark! Thanks Steeler Nation!

hawaiiansteel
12-30-2010, 02:18 AM
I would have thought Timmons, Farrior and Ike were more alternate-worthy than Keisel and Clark...

PSU_dropout43
12-30-2010, 03:03 AM
Ike most definitely.

Timmons not so much. IMO, Timmons is more hype than substance. I think he's far from being a complete player.

StarSpangledSteeler
12-30-2010, 03:31 AM
I have to give Ryan Clark some props here. He may not be the INT machine Ed Reed is (nobody is) but he brings some things to the table that Ed Reed doesn't. Clark is one of the best run tackling free safeties in the league. He also is one of the hardest hitters on receivers. He is a free safety in a strong safety's body. Opposing WR's know that. They remember getting hit by him. Sometimes they don't try quite so hard to fight for those extra yards and just run out of bounds or dive down early. Sometimes they grow alligator arms and miss the catch. All of these things are part of playing the position effectively. When opposing WR's say "Dammit, I'd rather be facing someone softer than Clark this week," he has done part of his job. Also, Clark has a huge heart. He is a fierce competitor. He brings an intensity and fearlessness to the game that some of our other players do not. People don't talk a lot of shiz to Ryan. They know if they do, he won't just "talk" back. He'll launch his helmet into their chin and say "Give us the 15 yards. And the fine. And let's see if you say that again." He's old school. And I'm glad to have him on the team.

LordVile
12-30-2010, 05:15 AM
I have to give Ryan Clark some props here. He may not be the INT machine Ed Reed is (nobody is) but he brings some things to the table that Ed Reed doesn't. Clark is one of the best run tackling free safeties in the league. He also is one of the hardest hitters on receivers. He is a free safety in a strong safety's body. Opposing WR's know that. They remember getting hit by him. Sometimes they don't try quite so hard to fight for those extra yards and just run out of bounds or dive down early. Sometimes they grow alligator arms and miss the catch. All of these things are part of playing the position effectively. When opposing WR's say "Dammit, I'd rather be facing someone softer than Clark this week," he has done part of his job. Also, Clark has a huge heart. He is a fierce competitor. He brings an intensity and fearlessness to the game that some of our other players do not. People don't talk a lot of shiz to Ryan. They know if they do, he won't just "talk" back. He'll launch his helmet into their chin and say "Give us the 15 yards. And the fine. And let's see if you say that again." He's old school. And I'm glad to have him on the team.
:Clap :Beer :tt2

SidSmythe
12-30-2010, 07:15 AM
Clark's hard hitting style is one of his worst enemies.
Ok, hard hits are nice, but INT's are more necessary. TWICE this year i've seen him take aim at the WR on poorly thrown balls he could have picked off.

INTs > Hard Hits

Mister Pittsburgh
12-30-2010, 08:15 AM
Ike most definitely.

Timmons not so much. IMO, Timmons is more hype than substance. I think he's far from being a complete player.

I think Timmons was playing at a pro bowl level, for sure, until he injured his hip which I think slowed him the rest of the year.

The Sodfather
12-30-2010, 08:17 AM
You can make a case Timmons and Farrior could have made the pro bowl let alone be alternates. What a crock of crap.

Ike got the hose too.

I like Keisel but he missed half the season.

Oviedo
12-30-2010, 09:00 AM
[quote="PSU_dropout43":1b49hipj]Ike most definitely.

I think Timmons was playing at a pro bowl level, for sure, until he injured his hip which I think slowed him the rest of the year.[/quote:1b49hipj]

:Agree But then again there are some who will never recognize Timmons as the player he is and his contributions. The expectations on him have always been unrealistic. He'd have to be better than a combination of Lambert, Ham and Lawrence Taylor to get begruding acknowledgement from some and then it would still probably be pointing out negatives. Then again his real fault is that he isn't a Polish-kid from Penn State.

ramblinjim
12-30-2010, 09:50 AM

:Bow

ROLROC
12-30-2010, 10:23 AM
no love for Wallace :!: :?:

Mister Pittsburgh
12-30-2010, 11:37 AM
[quote="PSU_dropout43":2hg2qqd7]Ike most definitely.

I think Timmons was playing at a pro bowl level, for sure, until he injured his hip which I think slowed him the rest of the year.

:Agree But then again there are some who will never recognize Timmons as the player he is and his contributions. The expectations on him have always been unrealistic. He'd have to be better than a combination of Lambert, Ham and Lawrence Taylor to get begruding acknowledgement from some and then it would still probably be pointing out negatives. Then again his real fault is that he isn't a Polish-kid from Penn State.[/quote:2hg2qqd7]

I can see some people being upset, to be honest. He was taken pretty damn high in the draft to sit his entire first year, play half the time his second. He is pretty much where I think he should be for that high a pick but feel he should of been doing a little more earlier on.

Worilds will now be the one compared to a Penn State LB'er. Sean Lee should of been a Steeler lol.

RuthlessBurgher
12-30-2010, 01:20 PM
When I first read the title, I though "Ike, Wallace, Timmons, Woodley." 1 out of 4. Whoops.

And I likely would have considered Farrior, Mendenhall, and Roethlisberger as alternates before Clark, Keisel and Hampton.

grotonsteel
12-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Timmons and Wallace should have made the list....as Pro Bowl alternates atleast...

Dee Dub
12-30-2010, 03:08 PM
[quote="PSU_dropout43":3im0h4xl]Ike most definitely.

:Agree But then again there are some who will never recognize Timmons as the player he is and his contributions. The expectations on him have always been unrealistic. He'd have to be better than a combination of Lambert, Ham and Lawrence Taylor to get begruding acknowledgement from some and then it would still probably be pointing out negatives. Then again his real fault is that he isn't a Polish-kid from Penn State.[/quote:3im0h4xl]

Cha-ching!! Money post.

See this original negative comment about Timmons comes from one who didnít want the Steelers to draft Timmons. As a result they will never ever be able to see things the way they really are with him. To say that from the Inside LB spot that these arenít pro bowl numbers would also be not recognizing that they stack up against any ILB who is a pro bowlerÖ.

Lawrence Timmons

126 tackels 3 sacks 2 INTís 9 PDís FF 1

Ray Lewis

128 tackles 2 sacks 2 INTís 4 PDís FF 2

Jerod Mayo

169 tackles 1 sack 0 INTís 5 PDís FF 1

Patrick Willis

128 tackles 6 sacks 0 INTís 5 PDís FF 2

Brian Urlacher

120 tackles 3.5 sacks 1 INT 10 PDís FF 2

OhÖand none of these other ILBís have on their team nothing like what Lawrence Timmons has on his team. 3 other outstanding pro bowl caliber LBís

fezziwig
12-30-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm very happy these two guys got some respect for a change.

phillyesq
12-30-2010, 09:35 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":1zyprr1z][quote="PSU_dropout43":1zyprr1z]Ike most definitely.

:Agree But then again there are some who will never recognize Timmons as the player he is and his contributions. The expectations on him have always been unrealistic. He'd have to be better than a combination of Lambert, Ham and Lawrence Taylor to get begruding acknowledgement from some and then it would still probably be pointing out negatives. Then again his real fault is that he isn't a Polish-kid from Penn State.[/quote:1zyprr1z]

Cha-ching!! Money post.

See this original negative comment about Timmons comes from one who didnít want the Steelers to draft Timmons. As a result they will never ever be able to see things the way they really are with him. To say that from the Inside LB spot that these arenít pro bowl numbers would also be not recognizing that they stack up against any ILB who is a pro bowlerÖ.

Lawrence Timmons

126 tackels 3 sacks 2 INTís 9 PDís FF 1

Ray Lewis

128 tackles 2 sacks 2 INTís 4 PDís FF 2

Jerod Mayo

169 tackles 1 sack 0 INTís 5 PDís FF 1

Patrick Willis

128 tackles 6 sacks 0 INTís 5 PDís FF 2

Brian Urlacher

120 tackles 3.5 sacks 1 INT 10 PDís FF 2

OhÖand none of these other ILBís have on their team nothing like what Lawrence Timmons has on his team. 3 other outstanding pro bowl caliber LBís[/quote:1zyprr1z]

I was one of those who never wanted Timmons (and I didn't like Posluzny as an option at 1.16 either).

I'll acknowledge that early in the season, he absolutely played at a pro bowl level, and he finally performed like everything he was sold to be by his supporters. However, later in the season, after he got banged up a bit, he wasn't nearly as effective.

Since the midpoint of the season, his performance has been more pedestrian than exceptional. His only double digit tackle performance came against the Jets, but he missed a few that I can think of, and got trucked by LDT in the hole on one play that comes to mind. I'd think that those who were so quick to criticize Harrison for a slow second half last year would also be concerned about a young middle linebacker whose performance falls off dramatically when he isn't 100% healthy (especially since I can't imagine many middle linbebackers staying 100% for an entire season).

Timmons could benefit from a few weeks off as much as anybody on the defense. I really hope that the Steelers are able to get a bye, and that he can take advantage. Early season Timmons was, unquestionably a huge asset to the defense. Late season Timmons -- eh.

phillyesq
12-30-2010, 09:53 PM

I can understand Wallace not being named to the pro bowl because the four who made it all had solid credentials. But not even an alternate???

He's fourth in the AFC in yardage, and tied with TO for 4th among AFC receivers in yardage.

Does anybody know who was named an alternate at WR?

Hopefully this gives him a chip on his shoulder for the Browns and the playoffs to disprove his naysayers. And, with any luck, maybe this keeps his price down come contract time.

papillon
12-30-2010, 09:57 PM

I can understand Wallace not being named to the pro bowl because the four who made it all had solid credentials. But not even an alternate???

He's fourth in the AFC in yardage, and tied with TO for 4th among AFC receivers in yardage.

Does anybody know who was named an alternate at WR?

Hopefully this gives him a chip on his shoulder for the Browns and the playoffs to disprove his naysayers. And, with any luck, maybe this keeps his price down come contract time.

I wouldn't worry about the contract. If the Steelers want to keep him, they will, they treat their own as free agents rather than signing someone else's FAs. Woodley, Timmons, Wallace will all get a second contract with the Steelers, IMO.

Pappy

fezziwig
12-31-2010, 11:27 AM
To be honest I only at times see the value in Timmons. I mean here we have a number one pick that has pretty much sat the bench his first three seasons. He gets number one pick money, we teach him or try to teach him our way or the NFL way of playing and when he finally starts to show his worth he, will probably be up for a new contract and use the fact that we trained him ( if we have or he has picked it up yet ) he and his agent will use it as leverage during the next contract.

I'll have to pay more attention to him because I haven't seen the returns on Timmons. Others have picked up our defense quicker and showed more action on the field than Timmons. I don't know the contracts that are coming up or the dollars we have to spend but, I would keep a few over Timmons if the problem came up on the have and have nots.
Woodley, Taylor are just two that deserve a contract over Timmons if one of them had to be left out.

Go ahead, let me have it because my opinion differs.

fordfixer
12-31-2010, 12:27 PM
When I first read the title, I though "Ike, Wallace, Timmons, Woodley." 1 out of 4. Whoops.

And I likely would have considered Farrior, Mendenhall, and Roethlisberger as alternates before Clark, Keisel and Hampton.

Whats with the hate for the Wyoming boy named Brett

Dee Dub
12-31-2010, 12:42 PM
To be honest I only at times see the value in Timmons. I mean here we have a number one pick that has pretty much sat the bench his first three seasons.....

It isnt a matter of a difference in opinion....dude you dont even have your facts right about Timmons. He became a starter half way through his second year. In year three? He put up these numbersÖ

78 tackles 7 sacks 4 FF 4 PDís. Hardly the numbers for one who sat the bench in year 3.

See when you donít like a certain player and you are against the drafting of him by your favorite team you are a bit tainted in your view of reality.

fezziwig
12-31-2010, 01:03 PM
To be honest I only at times see the value in Timmons. I mean here we have a number one pick that has pretty much sat the bench his first three seasons.....

It isnt a matter of a difference in opinion....dude you dont even have your facts right about Timmons. He became a starter half way through his second year. In year three? He put up these numbersÖ

78 tackles 7 sacks 4 FF 4 PDís. Hardly the numbers for one who sat the bench in year 3.

See when you donít like a certain player and you are against the drafting of him by your favorite team you are a bit tainted in your view of reality.

Correction, I meant to say his second year. Anyway, I still don't think he is the great player that got the Pro Bowl snub. He's okay or good but I don't see the return on him so far.

I do not, not like him I don't know him or follow the college league to have any prior info on the guy.

Dee Dub
12-31-2010, 04:42 PM

Correction, I meant to say his second year. Anyway, I still don't think he is the great player that got the Pro Bowl snub. He's okay or good but I don't see the return on him so far.

I do not, not like him I don't know him or follow the college league to have any prior info on the guy.

Again...stack his numbers up against those who are on the pro bowl roster. He is right there with all of them.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-31-2010, 08:11 PM

Just like you with Ike Taylor, when you proclaimed he would never be anything more than average?

fezziwig
01-01-2011, 11:25 AM
I think a lot has to do with popularity or the comfort level of just picking the same guys.
On the radio they were saying a lot doesn't go into picking these guys for the Pro Bowl and the players are not offended when they do not get picked. To me that was a broad statement for this sports annoucer to make.
I do recall one Steeler talking about Ray Seasl and how Ray was ticked off that he didn't get the Pro Bowl selection. He went on to say that, Ray questioned everyone every game he went up against and asked them if, they voted for him. He said Ray was beating the hell out of those guys that said they didn't vote for him. I thought that was funny.

RuthlessBurgher
01-01-2011, 02:42 PM

Whats with the hate for the Wyoming boy named Brett

He does have an All Pro level beard.

http://brett-keisel.com/images/121410.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
01-01-2011, 02:53 PM
To be honest I only at times see the value in Timmons. I mean here we have a number one pick that has pretty much sat the bench his first three seasons. He gets number one pick money, we teach him or try to teach him our way or the NFL way of playing and when he finally starts to show his worth he, will probably be up for a new contract and use the fact that we trained him ( if we have or he has picked it up yet ) he and his agent will use it as leverage during the next contract.

I'll have to pay more attention to him because I haven't seen the returns on Timmons. Others have picked up our defense quicker and showed more action on the field than Timmons. I don't know the contracts that are coming up or the dollars we have to spend but, I would keep a few over Timmons if the problem came up on the have and have nots.
Woodley, Taylor are just two that deserve a contract over Timmons if one of them had to be left out.

Go ahead, let me have it because my opinion differs.

The number one pick money thing is a flaw to your argument. Even though he was a relatively high pick for us at #15 (giving him an $8 million signing bonus), the total value of his rookie deal is $12 million over 5 years, including a base salary of only $650,000 this season. That overall contract averages out to $2.4 million per year.

Compare that to the contract that we gave to the guy to come back to be Timmons' back-up (Larry Foote: 3 years, $9.3 million, $3.1 million per year).

Who is giving you more bang-for-your-buck: The Pro Bowl snub Timmons, or the veteran backup Foote who is making more money this year?

fezziwig
01-02-2011, 11:30 AM
That doesn't make sense giving him that much money to be a back up or were they nervous that Foote might need to be the starter after all ?

I'm not trying to put hate on Timmons, just saying he hasn't developed as I would expect from a number one pick. Not calling him a bust because I feel a bust is someone you get rid of after a while like Troy Edwards, Huey Richardson etc.

RuthlessBurgher
01-02-2011, 06:25 PM
That doesn't make sense giving him that much money to be a back up or were they nervous that Foote might need to be the starter after all ?

I'm not trying to put hate on Timmons, just saying he hasn't developed as I would expect from a number one pick. Not calling him a bust because I feel a bust is someone you get rid of after a while like Troy Edwards, Huey Richardson etc.

Foote was potentially needed as a starter if Farrior continued to slip (his game really fell off last year), but he has had somewhat of a renaissance this year.