PDA

View Full Version : Stats are DUMB

JTP53609
12-29-2010, 09:47 PM
On ESPN.com for example, Joe Flacco is ranks 7th among NFL qb's and Matt Ryan ranks 15th,.....my question is why???,
Ryan has a better passing %, more touchdowns same amount of interceptions and just 30 less yards, but for some reason his qb rating is 5 points lower.....How is this possible??? I hate qb ratings...

hawaiiansteel
12-29-2010, 10:08 PM
it's obviously because Flacco is so much better looking and all the women are voting for him... :wink:

http://static.everyjoe.com/files/2008/05/joe-flacco-ravens-eyebrows_nc.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/icaruslives/1230010813948.jpg

SteelTorch
12-29-2010, 10:14 PM
You'll have to google to see how QB rating is calculated. However, it DOES have the second-highest correlation with winning (1st being YPA). :P

JTP53609
12-30-2010, 10:27 AM
he does have almost a full yard higher per attempt than Ryan, but I just thought it was weird that he was that much higher than Ryan...I am not taking anything away from Flacco, I will admit that he is having a great year, 26tds and just nine pics is very good

fezziwig
12-30-2010, 11:13 AM
I never thought stats told the entier story. It's just calculations and I'm sure they hold sometype of identity what a player or team is capable of.
Start pulling apart what team, injuries or what have you played apart in these games and games that can not be measured correctly because, Flacco and Ryan would have to play the same teams, have the same protections, choice of plays and what have you.

The guys are both good but not as good as Ben and that is the only stat that impresses me.

JTP53609
12-30-2010, 12:07 PM
I should have added the link in my original post just so you can all see, Flacco is 7th and Ryan is 15th. I dont think they put anything into the calculations other than the stats, and it just confuses me how Ryan is in the middle of the pack....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/playe ... asontype/2 (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating/year/2010/seasontype/2)

RuthlessBurgher
12-30-2010, 01:48 PM
( Completion % minus 30 ) times 0.05

( Yards / Attempt minus 3 ) times 0.25

Touchdown % times 0.2

2.375 minus ( Interception % time 0.25)

Add those 4 numbers together, divide by 6, then times by 100

Voila! You have your Passer Rating.

What is holding Ryan back in this calculation is his poor 6.4 YPA (27th in the league). Flacco's YPA is a full yard better than Ryan, tying him for the 10th spot. The league leader in YPA, Philip Rivers is 2.3 yards PER ATTEMPT (not even per completion) better than Ryan. That's huge.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Some statistics are often not very meaningful. And some stats could be tweaked to be made better than they are.

For example, when talking about QB rating, leading a drive that scores a touchdown ought to factor in somehow (whether it's a passing TD or not), since the QB leads the offense and the main objective of the offense is to score points. Taking a sack when you could have saved yardage by throwing the ball away--they'll never keep records on that, but it seems to me that, somehow, it ought to diminish a QB's rating.

Then, you have the statistic known as "sacks". All sacks are not created equal. A sack that ends a drive on third down may well be a lot more meaningful than a first or second down sack which the offense recovers from and converts a first down anyway. There are sacks that are primarily due to coverage, there are sacks that are primarily due to a QB slipping and falling...In many instances, a pass batted down or a QB hurried may be just as big a play as a sack. Could be bigger, if it creates an interception opportunity.

I could go on and on about a lot of statistics. When it comes right down to it, the most important statistic is wins and losses, and the most important achievement is a Super Bowl victory. To the extent that statistics are helpful in accomplishing those goals, they are useful tools. Otherwise, they amount to little more than trivia.

feltdizz
12-31-2010, 11:53 AM
On ESPN.com for example, Joe Flacco is ranks 7th among NFL qb's and Matt Ryan ranks 15th,.....my question is why???,
Ryan has a better passing %, more touchdowns same amount of interceptions and just 30 less yards, but for some reason his qb rating is 5 points lower.....How is this possible??? I hate qb ratings...

the answer is easy.... numbers are produced and when put into an equation these are the rankings they come up with.

QB rankings don't play games the players do.

Djfan
12-31-2010, 12:41 PM
Stats are like people: You can torture them into saying whatever you want them to!

fezziwig
12-31-2010, 12:56 PM
Stats are like people: You can torture them into saying whatever you want them to!

:Bow

ScoreKeeper
12-31-2010, 01:38 PM
There are lies, damn lies, and stats.

tiproast
12-31-2010, 01:55 PM
Some statistics are often not very meaningful. And some stats could be tweaked to be made better than they are.

For example, when talking about QB rating, leading a drive that scores a touchdown ought to factor in somehow (whether it's a passing TD or not), since the QB leads the offense and the main objective of the offense is to score points. Taking a sack when you could have saved yardage by throwing the ball away--they'll never keep records on that, but it seems to me that, somehow, it ought to diminish a QB's rating.

Then, you have the statistic known as "sacks". All sacks are not created equal. A sack that ends a drive on third down may well be a lot more meaningful than a first or second down sack which the offense recovers from and converts a first down anyway. There are sacks that are primarily due to coverage, there are sacks that are primarily due to a QB slipping and falling...In many instances, a pass batted down or a QB hurried may be just as big a play as a sack. Could be bigger, if it creates an interception opportunity.

I could go on and on about a lot of statistics. When it comes right down to it, the most important statistic is wins and losses, and the most important achievement is a Super Bowl victory. To the extent that statistics are helpful in accomplishing those goals, they are useful tools. Otherwise, they amount to little more than trivia.
Great post.

Stats are what used to fuel all those Brady-Manning debates over the last decade.

Now that Big Ben has surpassed Peyton in championships, and QBs like Brees, Rivers and Rodgers are posting the same kinds of stats as Manning, it's become evident that hanging your hat on stats as the be-all-end-all measure of QB performance is not an argument-winning strategy.

With respect the QB rating stat, it seems to me that the TDs and yards-per-attempt components of QB ratings get too much emphasis, and the negative factor of interceptions doesn't get enough. As someone else pointed out, the QB should get some credit for engineering a drive that ends in a score, regardless of whether it's a passing TD, a rushing TD or a FG. And turning the ball over via an INT or a fumble should be a huge penalty - ball security should be paramount to an NFL QB.

Stats tell part of the story, but the eye-ball test is still the best test. Watch a QB for a few years, especially in big games, and it's pretty evident who's elite and who is not.

ScoreKeeper
12-31-2010, 02:26 PM
“We'll do the same thing that we always do. We'll take every tape from week to week and do what we think is best for that week and cheat on that basis.” - Bill Belichick
FTFY. :wink:

SteelTorch
12-31-2010, 06:21 PM
That's not true, actually. Numbers are numbers. :)

You'll never hear me say stats are everything, cause they're not. Sometimes they dont' tell the whole story. However, I get really annoyed when people say stats are worthless. Stats can be a very useful tool for gauging how a team/player is doing. However, there is no single "most important stat", and some stats mean a lot more than others. You have to look at the whole picture.

feltdizz
01-01-2011, 02:31 PM
That's not true, actually. Numbers are numbers. :)

You'll never hear me say stats are everything, cause they're not. Sometimes they dont' tell the whole story. However, I get really annoyed when people say stats are worthless. Stats can be a very useful tool for gauging how a team/player is doing. However, there is no single "most important stat", and some stats mean a lot more than others. You have to look at the whole picture.

Stats are worthless :lol: