PDA

View Full Version : Timmons listed as one of 10 biggest Pro Bowl snubs

hawaiiansteel
12-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Probing the 2011 Pro Bowl: A 10-pack of serious snubs

December 29th, 2010 | Author: Khaled Elsayed

You knew we couldn’t help ourselves.

After hundreds of hours spent watching and analyzing every player we couldn’t simply sit back and let the Pro Bowl rosters go by without bringing to attention some of the biggest snubs along with some of the most undeserved selections. Frankly, the omissions below make us wonder just how little the Pro Bowl “honor” really means — if these guys aren’t Pro Bowlers, there needs to be a revamp, plain and simple.

Naturally we’ll be producing our own Pro Bowl rosters when the regular season ends, but for now here’s our quick fire feedback on the rosters. Let’s start with the snubs, in order of snubbery.

1. Kyle Williams, DT, Bills

There are plenty of reasons why Williams hasn’t made the Pro Bowl, but it doesn’t make it any easier to stomach when you’ve watched him utterly dominate. Playing for Buffalo is always going to hurt your reputation when their run defense struggles. It doesn’t help that people are under the impression Williams plays as a NT when the Bills run a 4-3 far more, so blame him for their woes. And it doesn’t help that the AFC is full of excellent defensive tackles. At least that’s what people say, but strip away the reputation and hype and nobody was close to the force Williams was throughout 2010. It says something that Williams led all defensive tackles in total quarterback pressure and defensive stops, and did it with such little help around him from the Bills defense. Talk to players like Chris Keomeatu and we’re pretty sure they’ll let you know how good Williams is.

2. Trent Cole, DE, Eagles

In what world does the most complete defensive end in the league not make the Pro Bowl? Cole has more quarterback disruptions (74) than all other defensive ends, and just for good measure is our highest rated end against the run. Granted the NFC was stacked with talent at defensive end, but Cole got overlooked because guys have more sacks. Not because they’re better players.

3. Kareem McKenzie, RT, Giants

It almost seems as if the Pro Bowl has a big sign outside it that says “No Right Tackles Allowed.” Granted, protecting a quarterback’s blindside is important, but if we’ve got guys who do most of their damage from the left end or left outside linebacker spot, then why not right tackles? McKenzie has been the best of all right tackles this year. He’s done a good job in pass protection, and been in a class of his own when it comes to run blocking. He may not be the most agile of tackles, but he more than makes up for it when he locks onto a defender and with excellent positioning.

4. Quintin Mikell, S, Eagles

Our top-ranked safety is once again comically overlooked and we can only assume that when people are picking their safeties, they’re looking at the guys with the most Pro Bowl appearances and the biggest contracts. It’s a cycle that stops a guy like Mikell getting his due even though he’s broken up more passes than any other safety and is our top ranked safety in run support.

5. Lawrence Timmons, ILB, Steelers

A guy who can do it all, Timmons didn’t have the tackle numbers that Jerod Mayo did or the reputation of Ray Lewis, but his play was far superior. Only his Steelers teammate James Farrior produced more pressure from blitzing, while only the human wrecking crew Bart Scott had a higher grade in run defense. Simply put, offenses couldn’t prevent Timmons making plays for the majority of the season.

6. Tamba Hali, OLB, Chiefs

As a pure pass rusher there’s nobody who has had more of an impact than Hali and his 82 quarterback disruptions. Is he a one trick pony? Perhaps. But then are you saying that guys like Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis aren’t? The problem of finding room for Hali comes from the ridiculous decision to put Terrell Suggs down as an outside linebacker even though the vast majority of snaps have him playing at a defensive end spot.

7. Josh Sitton, RG, Packers

2009 called guys, it wants its Pro Bowl roster back. How else do guys like Jahri Evans and Chris Snee get in ahead of the best right guard in the league? Yet to give up a sack all year, Sitton is superb in pass protection (top ranked of all guards) but an excellent run blocker. Is it his fault the rest of his colleagues play in such a way that he doesn’t get to show it all that often?

8. Champ Bailey, CB, Broncos

Last year Bailey passed the mantle of “Top Shutdown Corner” to Darrelle Revis. Well this year Revis held out and got injured, so wasn’t his dominant self. Bailey may not be in his prime, but this version of him is still pretty special. Perhaps he gave up more touchdowns than you’d like, but in a horrible year for the Broncos Champ proved to still be the top dog when it comes to cornerbacks.

9. Matt Birk, C, Ravens

He’s not Nick Mangold, but with Mangold overcoming injury earlier in the season Birk was the most consistent center in the league and remains top of our center rankings. Has given up just six quarterback pressures all year and is our top-ranked run blocking center. How the Vikings would love to have him back.

10. Bart Scott, ILB, Jets

You can’t help but feel sorry for Bart Scott. He does so much for the Jets run defense, blowing up so many runs that it makes you think they (or we) just invent a stat just for that. As it is he’s a guy who doesn’t have a lot of tackles, sacks or interceptions so he doesn’t get the attention he deserves. But if there’s one player the Jets defense couldn’t afford to lose, it’s this guy. And that’s a pretty big statement to make.

Honorable Mentions: Andrew Whitworth (Bengals), Kevin Williams (Vikings), Antonio Garay (Chargers), Charles Johnson (Panthers), Harvey Dahl (Falcons), Kamerion Wimbley (Raiders), Brandon Flowers (Chiefs) and Antoine Winfield (Vikings)

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20 ... ous-snubs/ (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2010/12/29/probing-the-pro-bowl-a-10-pack-of-serious-snubs/)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-29-2010, 05:40 PM
IMO Ike Taylor can be on that list. He doesn't put up the int numbers but is a damn good player. Good in coverage and one of the best CBs in run defense.

Revis struggled with injury for much of this year and did not have as good a year as he is capable of. I would remove him from the PB.

Discipline of Steel
12-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Kyle Williams certainly was impressive during the Steeler game.

So let me get this straight...
Pro Bowlers are voted on by fans and players.
All-Pro is voted on by...im guessing...sports writers?

hawaiiansteel
12-29-2010, 08:19 PM

players are voted into the Pro Bowl by the coaches, the players and the fans with each group's ballots counting for one third of the votes.

The Associated Press NFL All-Pro Team is selected by a national panel of media members of the Associated Press.

Discipline of Steel
12-29-2010, 08:52 PM

players are voted into the Pro Bowl by the coaches, the players and the fans with each group's ballots counting for one third of the votes.

The Associated Press NFL All-Pro Team is selected by a national panel of media members of the Associated Press.

Thanx... I guess the credibility ranking would go players/coaches, AP, fans. Will James Harrison be All-Pro is my question? He has had plenty of notoriety this year....

phillyesq
12-29-2010, 09:12 PM
This same site did a list of the 10 most undeserving, and listed Pouncey as #1 on that list. They somehow had Pouncey ranked as their 23rd best center, which is absurd.

hawaiiansteel
12-29-2010, 09:27 PM
This same site did a list of the 10 most undeserving, and listed Pouncey as #1 on that list. They somehow had Pouncey ranked as their 23rd best center, which is absurd.

I can think of about 4 or 5 other centers that you could make a decent argument for, but #23 is absurd.

Probing the 2011 Pro Bowl: The undeserving 10

December 29th, 2010 | Author: Khaled Elsayed

It’s easy enough to make a list of great football players that didn’t get their due in the annual Pro Bowl semi-mockery. But we’re going to go one step further and tell you which guys shouldn’t have gotten a sniff — the 10 most undeserving Pro Bowlers of 2010.

None of the players on this list are completely without merit, but clearly they are also NOT Pro Bowlers either.

So, with hopes that no angry football players track me down and treat me like a tackling dummy …

10 Worst Pro Bowl Selections

1. Maurkice Pouncey, C, Steelers

No. 23 in our center rankings, Pouncey wasn’t the worst run blocker in the world but had some pretty big struggles in pass protection where he has given up 22 quarterback disruptions. For some reason, with the Steelers offensive line struggling, commentators always found time to lavish praise on Pouncey while ignoring his general play.

2. Brandon Meriweather, S, Patriots

Even Patriots fans will be bemused by this one. He’s sixth-to-last in our safety grades, and gave up three touchdowns and 69% of balls where he was the primary coverage. It’s not just the mistakes that make this decision peculiar, it’s the lack of plays he made in comparison to his peers that makes this a shocker.

3. Ray Lewis, MLB, Ravens

We finally saw Lewis start to regress this year after a strong start to the season. He’s not making as many defensive stops as we’re used to seeing from him, and he’s being manhandled far more often than we’ve ever seen. He still has something left, but the consistency in his display has dropped off a cliff. Lawrence Timmons and Bart Scott got robbed.

4. Adrian Wilson, S, Cardinals

What happened to Wilson? A year after doing a good job, Wilson went back to being the overrated player we’d previously known. 10 missed tackles, a terrible seven penalties given up and a lack of plays make this selection almost as puzzling as the Meriweather one.

5. Antrel Rolle, S, Giants

What a horrible year for choosing safeties. It was a surprise to see Rolle handed so much money after his play on the field in Arizona, and much less of a surprise how he has played as a Giant. Our 11th-lowest graded safety had success blitzing and not much else. For a guy that came into the league as a corner you’d expect him to be better in coverage, though his 11 missed tackles aren’t too surprising.

6. Steven Jackson, HB, Rams

He may have picked up plenty of yardage, but how much of that is down to his offensive line and amount of carries? Just 2.6 yards per carry after contact isn’t good enough and Jackson isn’t going to make defenders miss like the top running backs. If you don’t like Ahmad Bradshaw because of his fumbling, then how does LeSean McCoy not make it in?

7. Jahri Evans, RG, Saints

Is this some good will from 2009 carrying over? Evans was the best guard in the league then, but now? Not so much. In fact he’s struggled this year, and nothing highlights this as much as the ten penalties he has given up. Throw in a negative grade for his run blocking and we can only assume people saw the massive contract he got handed in the off-season and assumed it was for his future play.

8. Charles Woodson, CB, Packers

Last year Woodson was the second best corner in the league. But he looks like he’s lost a step and quite clearly isn’t even the best corner on his own team at the moment. The only thing that stopped Woodson giving up more plays were the 12 penalties he committed, and in a year with some very good play from NFC cornerbacks it’s surprising to see Woodson make it to the Pro Bowl.

9. DeAngelo Hall, CB, Redskins

We can only assume Hall made the squad on the back of Jay Cutler deciding to throw balls his way. Outside of that Hall has given up 73.6% of the passes thrown his way and has allowed the eighth-most amount of yardage. Great athlete who can make big plays? Yes. Consistent performance all year round? Not a chance.

10. Tony Gonzalez, TE, Falcons

This is a hard thing to write for a big Gonzo fan. He’s still an asset in the passing game, but he’s not the force he once was and his run blocking (though still praised) isn’t anything like it used to be. He’ll deservedly be a first-ballot Hall of Famer, but that doesn’t mean he needs to be in every Pro Bowl. If you’re looking at a pure receiving option Kellen Winslow would be the guy, while from a more complete perspective we’d be more inclined to go with Vernon Davis who cut down on the penalties (if not the mental mistakes in run blocking). Truth be told it wasn’t a great year for tight end play in the NFC.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20 ... erving-10/

flippy
12-30-2010, 09:26 AM
I agree that Pouncey is overrated right now. I've seen him mess up plenty over the weeks. Kid's definitely got fight and heart, but I didn't really think he was pro bowl worthy yet.

He's quick, athletic, tough, and I'm happy to have him. Heck I'm now ok with him being a 1st round pick at this point. But he's still a work in progress imho.

Ghost
12-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Peyton Manning should have been on the undeserving list. Pure reputation pick.

HardlinerKC
12-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Interesting topic. I don't get all that worked up about who is or isn't on the Probowl rosters because I've always felt that politics are involved along with lack of exposure on national TV which hasn't been an issue for the Steel but certainly for teams like the Chiefs.

Well, truth be told, I can't argue about a team with abysmal losing records over the past few seasons, excepting this one, failing to get national attention. There's always going to be guys named that shouldn't have received the honor and vice versa. The way it is, so again, no big deal to me.

It IS a big deal to the players (and their agents) though in terms of compensation, bonuses in some cases and padding their negotiating position for a new longterm contract. I get that too. My point to this posting?

Throwing a hat into the ring for Tamba Hali of the Chiefs. To me, he's been the best player on the team this past season. His motor NEVER stops, never takes a play off and has to be accounted for by every opponent. There's no dog in Tamba. He'll chase down a RB from the backside without fail. He's also very quiet, a self effacing type that shuns the limelight and that doesn't help his probowl cause, sad to say.

He's also without a current longterm contract which hopefully will be remedied soon.

hawaiiansteel
12-30-2010, 03:46 PM
Wallace, Farrior and Timmons Were Not Pro Bowl Snubs

Posted on December 30, 2010 by ted

It was surprising to see only three Steelers players selected to the Pro Bowl. After all, this is a veteran, star-laden Pittsburgh team that sports an 11-4 record and one of the top five run defenses in NFL history.

The problem was not that the Steelers did not have more worthy candidates. OLB James Harrison, SS Troy Polamalu and C Maurkice Pouncey all were worthy of their invites. ILB James Farrior, NT Casey Hampton, CB Ike Taylor, ILB Lawrence Timmons and WR Mike Wallace also had Pro-Bowl caliber seasons. But Taylor was the only one who was actually worthy of a spot over a selected player on this year’s AFC Pro Bowl roster.

The primary problem with the Pro Bowl is that only 42 players are selected from each conference, leaving off many deserving candidates. Why not have a 53-man roster for the Pro Bowl? Moreover, some positions are under-represented.

Exactly half the teams in the NFL now employ a base 3-4 defense, but yet only two inside linebackers are selected for each conference, compared to three quarterbacks. Thus, 32 quarterbacks and 48 inside linebackers start each week in the NFL; but yet there are six spots for quarterbacks in the Pro Bowl, compared to just four for inside linebackers.

This discrepancy is why Farrior has only been to two Pro Bowls during his superb Steelers career, and neither Farrior or Timmons were deserving of such a bid this year over Ray Lewis, who is still the best Mike backer in the game, or athletic Patriots stalwart Jerod Mayo.

Nor was Wallace more worthy than any of the four receivers selected to represent the AFC. Wallace enjoyed a splendid second season, tallying 57 catches for 1,152 yards, 9 TDs and a league-leading 20.2 yards per reception average. But here are the stats for the four WRs selected from the AFC for this year’s Pro Bowl:

Andre Johnson, 86 receptions for 1,217 yards and 8 TDs.

Reggie Wayne, 102 receptions for 1,287 yards and 5 TDs.

Brandon Lloyd, 72 receptions for 1,375 yards and 10 TDs.

Dwyane Bowe, 67 receptions for 1,094 yards and 15 TDs.

Wallace simply did not make enough receptions to warrant a Pro-Bowl bid this year in a loaded AFC for his position. He did emerge as the team’s No. 1 WR, but was double-teamed too often and always faced opponents’ best corners, primarily because Pittsburgh had no solid No. 2 receiver this year after moronically giving away Santonio Holmes to the Jets over the offseason as a PR move.

Incidentally, Holmes’ 79 receptions for 1,248 yards in 2009 was just as Pro-Bowl worthy as Wallace’s excellent 2010 campaign. Could you imagine if opposing teams had to cover both studs instead of being able to cover Hines Ward with a linebacker or safety, and watching promising rookie Emmanuel Sanders continuously fall down after making his cuts? Sanders will be very good down the road, but needs new cleats and is a work in progress.

The only Steeler deserving of a Pro-Bowl bid this year who did not receive one was Taylor, as Adam already noted.

Taylor easily had a better year than Darelle Revis, who was hindered by a hamstring pull all year, seemingly beaten more often than in all his other years combined, and often did not even cover the opposing team’s best receiver, with those responsibilities going to former Pro Bowler Antonio Cromartie.

In contrast, Taylor had Bryant McFadden on the other side and thus was given Deion Sanders-type respect by opposing QBs. Nevertheless, Taylor had a superb season and should have been tabbed over Revis, who made this game on past accomplishments and reputation.

Pouncey, though, is probably not yet one of the top two centers in the AFC, so the Steelers numbers were just. It is just irritating that Taylor has now had four Pro-Bowl caliber seasons in his NFL career, but has never once been selected for the game or even played in it as an alternate.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/12/w ... owl-snubs/ (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/12/wallace-farrior-timmons-pro-bowl-snubs/)

ScoreKeeper
12-30-2010, 05:01 PM
The Pro Bowl is worthless. I stopped getting upset over the picks when I was 14. It's nothing more than a high school popularity contest.

Much like the HOF when players like Russell, Shell, and LC are left out because..."The Steelers have too many already".

hawaiiansteel
12-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Ike Taylor: Pro Bowl Worthy?

Posted on December 29, 2010 by adam

I don’t care about the AFC and NFC Pro Bowl Rosters, mainly because I don’t watch the game, and also because half of these guys will back out before it’s even time to play. There’s also the hope that any and all Steelers players invited won’t be in it because they’re getting ready for another, bigger, far more important game (Brian Billick once called it Festivus Maximus).

That said, Maurkice Pouncey, James Harrison and Troy Polamalu were all worthy of their invites to the game, but I’m still a little surprised Ike Taylor didn’t get a call.

Outside of the offensive line, and maybe Bruce Arians, no other aspect of the 2010 Steelers has been more scrutinized than their secondary. I still argue it’s not anywhere near as bad as its reputation, and one of the reasons for that has been the play of Taylor.

There’s nothing eye-popping about his raw stats (two picks, one sack, 10 pass defenses). But that’s not always the sign of a poor cornerback play. The idea, of course, is to not allow receivers to catch the ball — or have the ball thrown their direction — and take them out of the play, something Taylor has done all season. The Steelers rarely use him to “shadow” the other teams top guy, and as of Week 15, Football Outsiders had the Steelers defense ranked in the top-five against both No. 1 and No. 2 wide receivers, and I can’t imagine the job they did on Jimmy Clausen on Thursday night made those ratings drop.

I think we would all like to see him catch more passes that bounce off of his hands (or face mask), but other than that, there’s not much to complain about with Ike’s play this season.

A couple of questions to kick around on Wednesday…

1) Bigger Pro Bowl Snub: Ike Taylor or Mike Wallace?

2) If they can’t sign both, is Ike Taylor a more important signing than LaMarr Woodley?

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/12/i ... wl-worthy/ (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/12/ike-taylor-pro-bowl-worthy/http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/12/ike-taylor-pro-bowl-worthy/)