PDA

View Full Version : Anyone besides me excited for Dwyer(possibly)?

sentinel33
12-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Mewelde Moore is not looking good and the team may have to activate JD for the Browns game. He showed some things in the pre-season and i want to get another look at him. rest Moore and get him healthy for the run.

Oviedo
12-29-2010, 04:42 PM
I am. I'd like to see what he can do. Unfortunately as a rookie who knows if he gets the chance because one missed blitz read could get Ben killed. I expect that Redman will actually get the carries.

Ghost
12-29-2010, 04:43 PM
I am. Living here in GA, I watched him with GA Tech and he's got talent (at least college talent). I was excited when they took him and would love to see him get a shot to see what he could do.

birtikidis
12-29-2010, 04:46 PM
I'll tell ya what, after seeing what Lagarette Blount has been doing in Tampa, I really wish we'd have taken a flier on him. damn.
hopefully Dwyer can show some stuff when he gets the chance.

hawaiiansteel
12-29-2010, 04:47 PM
I highly doubt Dwyer plays even if he dresses, but I'm glad to see him get the opportunity to possibly gain some experience.

I'll bet you Dwyer would have gotten out of the end zone on that safety against the Jets...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-29-2010, 04:55 PM
I hope they rest Moore and dress Dwyer. I also hope the game gets in hand and Redman & Dwyer take all the carries in the 2nd half.

hawaiiansteel
12-29-2010, 05:38 PM
I hope they rest Moore and dress Dwyer. I also hope the game gets in hand and Redman & Dwyer take all the carries in the 2nd half.

the game would have to be really out of hand before Tomlin would put the ball into the hands of a rookie RB playing on the road with a first round bye and the AFC North Championship on the line.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Don't know if I would use the word excited......but interested.

PSU_dropout43
12-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Not particularly. I'm not excited about Dwyer's potential.

IMO, Nesbitt was the driving force behind Georgia Tech's rushing attack.

Shawn
12-29-2010, 06:26 PM
I believe Dwyer has pro caliber talent. Yes, I'm excited about the prospect of him in our backfield. I am also looking foward to the Steelers cutting Moore. Nothing against the guy but he brings Vernon Haynes ceiling to the table.

With all of that said, Dwyer has to learn the game. He has talent but also much to learn before he will even sniff a carry.

LordVile
12-29-2010, 06:31 PM
I wish he played against the Panthers when we were kicking there rear. shoulda put him in the 2nd half.. like others said, too much on the line in this game.

I liked what he did in the pre-season.. I remember one play in particular where he kept churning his legs and it looked like a 10 yard moss pit that wouldn't fall down.. but just like REDMAN last year, his blocking wasn't good. Hopefully he has improved in that area.

Why do ppl say stuff like, we should draft a RB next year, or a CB when we already have ppl waiting in the wings?

jj28west
12-29-2010, 11:17 PM
I have been excited since the Steelers drafted him. His youtube videos make him look like a complete back. The knocks were testing positive for an "upper" drug used that he was prescribed. He also had the bad toe that gave him a poor 40 time at the combine and played in a gimmick offense which may be why he dropped.

Tomlin challenged him early and questioned his mental maturity and heart when he showed up overweight.

What if Mendy was to go down? Thats why I dont understand him being in there in the couple games where the game was in control. Maybe Dwyer cant play Special Teams?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-30-2010, 09:10 AM

the game would have to be really out of hand before Tomlin would put the ball into the hands of a rookie RB playing on the road with a first round bye and the AFC North Championship on the line.

Obviously. That was an "insinuation" of how I hope the Steelers handle their business. Tomlin has a pretty good idea of his confidence level in Dwyer's abilites by week 17. I don't think "hands of a rookie RB playing on the road with a first round bye and the AFC North Championship on the line" would be a factor if Tomlin has the confidence in any player if the Steelers are pulling starters. Fact is if Moore sits and Dwyer dresses, the Steelers could be one in game injury away from Dwyer having to take some snaps. I'm sure that is part of the discussion if they think it is best to sit Moore.

A three posession game at some point in the second half is a big hill to climb. I would expect to see guys like BB, Mendy, Wallace, Ward, & any starter dinged on O to come to the sideline if a lead like that carries into the 4th. Saw it against Carolina with Mendy coming out and some WRs & OL.

That all being said, while I hope the Browns will lay down on their coach in the last game and make it easy on the Steelers...I don't "Expect" it to happen. I hope I am wrong and my blood pressure stays low :wink: ...But I have a feeling it will be a one posession game until the end.

Notleadpoisoned
12-30-2010, 09:19 AM
I just want to see Isaac Redman get a lot more carries this week.

drprwnap
12-30-2010, 09:56 AM
I highly doubt Dwyer plays even if he dresses, but I'm glad to see him get the opportunity to possibly gain some experience.

I'll bet you Dwyer would have gotten out of the end zone on that safety against the Jets...

ANY OTHER running back on the roster would have gotten out of the end zone. Moore should have been on the BENCH during that series. :evil: :evil:

MeetJoeGreene
12-30-2010, 10:14 AM
I fall into the camp of not really.

I too would be concerned about a rookie mistake (assignment, fumble) that will result in a turnover or Ben getting killed.

This is an important game. And not necessarily a gimme.

fezziwig
12-30-2010, 11:01 AM
I doubt Dwyer gets any playing time despite that I can't wait to see what he can do given the chance.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Very pleased with what I saw out of Dwyer.

feltdizz
01-03-2011, 10:13 AM

did he play? They switched the game to KC vs Oakland because of the score.

Oviedo
01-03-2011, 10:36 AM

He did. I think he had like 9 carries for something short of 30 yards. Not great stats but he had a nice run or two. The Browns were stacking the LOS because they knew Leftwich wasn't going to be slinging the ball around. Overall not a bad effort for his first ever NFL game experience.

There is definitely something there to build on.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-03-2011, 11:14 AM

He did play. Lefty came in with Legursky & Essex on the OL. I also thing El & Brown came in at WR. The Browns went heavy in the box to stop the run. What I liked is he hit the hole and moved the pile. Very physical and ran down hill against that front. That is what you want to see from a youngster who is put in that position. Take what is there and not try to make something happen and create a big hole. He was in on a pass play and ended up not blocking anyone. I would have liked to see him have to man-up in blocking on a LB or DB but it didn't happen. I would say the coaches were very please in what he did with his opportunity.

aggiebones
01-03-2011, 01:52 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens next year.
I think we will always keep someone like Moore. Or find a new one. Someone a bit more quick out of the backfield for a certain package of plays (3rd down back or whatever). So Dwyer would have to replace either Mendy or Redman. Or we keep 4 RBs.
Would we go into the season with Mendy, Redman and Dwyer as our 3 active backs? Maybe. It will be interesting to watch. I'm not hopped up on Dwyer. Seems OK, but noone to get excited about. If we progresses, then great. But my biggest worries are OL.

RuthlessBurgher
01-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Mewelde is a free agent after this season. I say we let him walk (much more important signings like Woodley, Ike, possibly Colon, etc. on the docket) and go with Mendenhall, Redman, and Dwyer as our 3 active RB's on gameday next year.

Djfan
01-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Mewelde is a free agent after this season. I say we let him walk (much more important signings like Woodley, Ike, possibly Colon, etc. on the docket) and go with Mendenhall, Redman, and Dwyer as our 3 active RB's on gameday next year.

Yup!

Oviedo
01-03-2011, 03:29 PM

Yup!

Yup! Yup!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-03-2011, 04:13 PM

Yup!

Yup! Yup!

Yup! x 3

jj28west
01-03-2011, 07:49 PM

Yup!

Yup! Yup!

Yup! x 3

Yup! x 4