PDA

View Full Version : Falcons-Saints

NorthCoast
12-28-2010, 10:46 AM
If you watched this game last night, you saw how the Steelers offense needs to evolve to beat the blitz pressure. I swear Atlanta was blitzing on 80% of the plays and the Saints gave Ryan a healthy dose as well. But what you saw was ball coming out of the QB's hands in 3 secs or less. Most of the passing was of the 10 yd variety, none of the long drawn out patterns the Steelers like to run. We need the short passing game to evolve in a hurry. The long ball is nice for stats, but NE, Atlanta, and NO all have a very good short passing game. Ben needs to find these open guys on short routes and the WR need to get open.

pick6
12-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Completely agree with you. Been trying to get this same point across for a while. There seems to be 2 schools of thought. Beat the blitz vs. protect against the blitz. With this oline, we need to start the beat the blitz method. Although I have seen much improvement in pass protection adding the quick pass would be a great tool in the belt. And we have the horses to do it. Although our recievers are small, they are tough and gutsy.

But the other thing that I got from this game was how aggressive and semi-successful the Falcons were in coming after Brees. And here is the piont, they actually got to him very quickly (many times within the 3 sec window) but Brees was side stepping No.29 all night. The Steelers need to look at how they got to him so often and incoorperate these methods should we see them again. If I were a coach I would look closely at how the teams that face my opponent twice a year try to attack my upcoming opponent. I'm sure that with so much familiarity these teams can clue us in to possible weaknesses and tendencies. For example, a particular guard or tackle who is otherwise a good player may struggle against may struggle with a certain defensive technique

The Falcons saw something about the Saints front that allowed No.29 to come free almost every freaking time. There problem is that they don't have the personnel to finish. Fortunately for us, we do. You could plug in any of our DBs in that same role and they will finish more than they miss.
So I just hope that the team is looking at what the Dolphins, Jets , and Bills "TRY" to do against the cheats. Like I said they don't have the troops to execute but there may be some clues as to the weaknesses and tendencies. I'd take a look at what the Browns did as well. This game has evolved and the days of leaving off the details will keep you away from the Lombardi hardware.

papillon
12-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Drew Brees was making the exact same plays that Ben makes; he was making the first blitzer miss and then got rid of the ball. He rolled out of the pocket on occasion and his protection was was bad for the most part. Brees is an elite quarterback and so is Ben and that's why the Saints and Steelers are successful.

Matt Ryan threw for less than 150 yards under the same pressure, because, he isn't an elite quarterback yet.

Ben has options short on most plays, but he likes to look for the big play more often than not. Brees will take the underneath stuff until he can hit a big one on you when you blitz. Once Ben feels like he's shaken a defender or a blitzer he goes looking for big yards rather than a simple completion.

Ben's last resort is to find a TE or RB near the LOS to dump it to when he's under duress. The Steeler offense has underneath routes they just don't get used like running plays like other teams will do.

The Saints ran out the clock last night throwing the ball; that's a huge risk, but when Drew Brees is the guy pulling the trigger it works.

Pappy

Notleadpoisoned
12-28-2010, 01:19 PM
If you watched this game last night, you saw how the Steelers offense needs to evolve to beat the blitz pressure. I swear Atlanta was blitzing on 80% of the plays and the Saints gave Ryan a healthy dose as well. But what you saw was ball coming out of the QB's hands in 3 secs or less. Most of the passing was of the 10 yd variety, none of the long drawn out patterns the Steelers like to run. We need the short passing game to evolve in a hurry. The long ball is nice for stats, but NE, Atlanta, and NO all have a very good short passing game. Ben needs to find these open guys on short routes and the WR need to get open.
We better find a new QB then because the kind of short passing game that you're wishing for is simply not Ben's style.

Crash
12-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Brees did nothing until the Falcons backed off late.

Irongut
12-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Similar to Ben vs. NE this year, minus the outcome of the game of course.

grotonsteel
12-28-2010, 02:46 PM

What was the score line 17-14?? What is the YPA of Brees and Ryan?? I believe its less than 6.

What is the point of short passing game if your team is going to score only 17 points. Steelers do that anyway.

Brees threw for 2 INTs which nearly cost him the game. Ryan did not complete even 50% of his passes.

Steelers offense is vertical and I seriously hope it remains the same.Red Zone offense is the problem and if Steelers can fix it it will be a very potent offense.

Crash
12-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Similar to Ben vs. NE this year, minus the outcome of the game of course.

We are discussing Drew Brees. Not Ben Roethlisberger.

Brees' defense won that game. The Steelers defense bent over for New England.

feltdizz
12-28-2010, 03:03 PM

What was the score line 17-14?? What is the YPA of Brees and Ryan?? I believe its less than 6.

What is the point of short passing game if your team is going to score only 17 points. Steelers do that anyway.

Brees threw for 2 INTs which nearly cost him the game. Ryan did not complete even 50% of his passes.

Steelers offense is vertical and I seriously hope it remains the same.Red Zone offense is the problem and if Steelers can fix it it will be a very potent offense.

:Agree but I also think it was a pretty good game regardless of their passing attack.

NJ-STEELER
12-29-2010, 12:05 AM
Drew Brees was making the exact same plays that Ben makes; he was making the first blitzer miss and then got rid of the ball. He rolled out of the pocket on occasion and his protection was was bad for the most part.

Pappy

pretty much what i saw too.

its not like brees doesn't take his shots downfield.

more to the point. any QB that does the same over and over again is going to have the defense adjust to it. need to mix it up and not play 1 way, whatever that way may be.

pick6
12-29-2010, 12:41 AM
I dont think Brees was making the exact same plays as Ben. Brees looks for the quick read when it is necessary. The Falcons were getting to him so quick that he had to side step and then hit the quick slant or quick out. But it was by design and thay are used to executing it. Ben does not do that. Ben buys time and insist on going down field. We usually don't even have anyone making a quick move because they know Ben is not going to throw it there anyway. Definately not the same thing. It is amazing that Ben has been so successful while completely discarding such a bread and butter tool from his belt.

Groton, you answered your own question. We are not saying that we should do away with the vertical style we are simply saying that it would be great to use the short game a little more frequently. Our offense would be so much better if we used every option. YPC and final score are meaningless to the discussion, because final score is comprised of many more variables than just general passing style. The winning and successful mindset is always looking to get better without abandoning those things that got you there. So vertical, does NOT work in the redzone so well. You drive down the field and you can't punch it in because you insist on a strictly vertical offense. Problem, there's no more room to go vertical. The point of the short passing game is that it gives you options in certain situations, especially the redzone where we can stand to do a little better. WHY can't we do both and dominate like Ben has the ability to do. I've seen Ben do this so it is possible.