PDA

View Full Version : Who exactly does like this cr*p?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-27-2010, 10:44 PM
I don't consider myself a hardcore violence fan, but the "personal foul" calls against defenders trying to hit the QBs are taking enough enjoyment out of the game that I'm wondering about the pros and cons of even watching any more.

I'm watching the Falcons/Saints game, and the rusher incidentally grazes Matty Ice's helmet ... PERSONAL FOUL.

BS. It's getting so that the chances of legally stopping the QB from throwing the ball are getting infinitesimally small.

So ... who exactly are these rules for? Does "the league" think that there will be more seats and merch sold if the scores are higher?

hawaiiansteel
12-27-2010, 10:51 PM
while Ben gets his nose broken and NO call...there's no consistency whatsoever.

Discipline of Steel
12-28-2010, 02:48 AM
Right on both counts.

1. The league has pussified the game.

2. The penalty calls (and fines) are TERRIBLY inconsistent.

Let me add ...

3. Major changes were made to the game Mid-Season.

Oh, let me add another ...

4. Concussions are up and thats applauded :wft

Most of the non-Steeler fans I know, who are knowledgable about football, find the fining way excessive and pity James Harrison as the poster child.

pittpete
12-28-2010, 09:57 AM
According to some, change is good.
I mean look what it did to our once great country :roll:

Bunch of f&*^%%*^ morons looking to keep their jobs, never wanting to leave well enough alone if you ask me :wft

Ghost
12-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Had this exact conversation in a bar last night watching the game. There's so much about it to hate - these are NOT penalties, there is no consistency between games or even refs in the same game, and lots of these calls come really late, as if the refs have to sit there and mull over whether or not it's a penalty and then they call it as if they are worried about getting in trouble with the league if they do not.

Last night was absurd. I don't want to see any team, especially the Steelers, lose a playoff game becasue some ref has his head up his backside, isn't sure what to do and costs a team the game on a bogus call.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-28-2010, 10:05 AM
According to some, change is good.
I mean look what it did to our once great country :roll:

Bunch of f&*^%%*^ morons looking to keep their jobs, never wanting to leave well enough alone if you ask me :wft

:Agree Hang in there, pittpete, we're digging our way out now, it can't all be fixed overnight, but it WILL get better!

fezziwig
12-28-2010, 12:04 PM
On the Fan radio station yesterday they asked fans to call in and annouce their most hated sports figure this season. I should have called in and named Goodell to be that person.

He has ruined the sport and I too believe the NFL wants this high passing circus act with tons of passing and touchdowns for the fans.

I personally want to watch football and see the chess match between offense and defense.

Djfan
12-28-2010, 12:15 PM
On the Fan radio station yesterday they asked fans to call in and annouce their most hated sports figure this season. I should have called in and named Goodell to be that person.

He has ruined the sport and I too believe the NFL wants this high passing circus act with tons of passing and touchdowns for the fans.

I personally want to watch football and see the chess match between offense and defense.

Watch the UFL. I really enjoyed it this year.

fezziwig
12-28-2010, 02:44 PM
What's the UFL like ?

Djfan
12-28-2010, 03:01 PM
What's the UFL like ?

Honestly Fezz,

It is fun to watch. These guys are out here trying to win an NFL roster spot. They play with a lot of heart and play like men. It was cool. I never saw a ref decide a game, and felt like they were on their game.

A lot of names you would recognize, too.

hawaiiansteel
12-28-2010, 03:26 PM
What's the UFL like ?

the Underwear Football League is really fun to watch! :moon

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/media/photo/2009-09/49296720.jpg

OchoUno
12-28-2010, 06:49 PM
while Ben gets his nose broken and NO call...there's no consistency whatsoever.

Well on that play, "the defender was just trying to make a tackle" so it's OK.

SteelAbility
12-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Yeah, these rules that handcuff D don't do anything to create more "essence of football." In fact, all they do is water down the meaning of scores. Why don't we just make the hoop bigger in basketball? Yeah, that'll create more scoring and that'll be more exciting ... right? :roll: Or why don't we make boxers alternate having to have one hand tied to their side on a per-round basis? Then more punches will connect and that'll be super exciting. :roll:

Note to the League:

You get more essence of football when the rules balance the power out between O and D. Until you do that, all you get is more commercialized, watered-down football.